Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Future Lawyer Workout Group

While Esther has been on me to blog for some time, she just informed me that Joel told her his participation was dependent upon mine. In an effort to bring full family participation and harmony in the family I have decided to inflict all those who regularly come to this blog with a few thoughts.

I considered a statement on the Constitutionality of our current administrative state and whether the Supreme Court should adopt a formalist or functionalist approach when making this determination. I also considered such titillating topics as “conflicts of interest created when an insurance company pays for the defense of an insured”, “getting property out of your business without taking a tax hit”, and “do United States immigration laws conflict with the policy behind the laws?” However, while I find these topics intriguing Esther has assured me that no one else does. And here in lies my problem, an inability to communicate normally. While I used to have sports to fall back on, the Diamondbacks and ASU have left me little to discuss there. This just means I spend more time focusing on inane points of law and their effect on society.

I was inspired by the recent discussion on an exercise club and have attempted to create a future lawyer workout group. I’ve included a photo of my most recent work out.
Shad

9 comments:

Connie and Daniel Biggs Family said...

Shad, I agree completely, success in the war in Iraq and Afghanistan is essential to ridding our world of modern day Gadianton robbers. You also stated so well that right thinking Americans cannot imagine facing the future wars in Iran and Korea with the democrats in charge. I wish I could lay out the case as clearly as you did...Well done. By the way, that guy who does the tai bo videos should start looking for a new career should you ever decide to sell you workouts on video..
- Daniel

Evans Family said...

STOP IT, I CAN'T UNDERSTAND A WORD THAT YOU GUYS ARE SAYING.
REBECCA:-)

Thomas Jennifer Biggs said...

All those points are valid until one reallizes that when mixed with hydrogen bromide in the presence of a generic peroxide, 4-bromopentene produces 1,4-dibromopentane. I believe with this in mind all the above mentioned points come into a new prespective because isn't John Wayne tall.

Nathan said...

I think that the future (or aspiring) lawyers workout club (hereinafter, The Club) needs certain perpetual and interminable terms of agreement that inure upon the participants in The Club (hereinafter The Clubbies) and are codified in a writing (hereinafter The Agreement) by which The Clubbies agree that participation in The Club in no instance obligates, binds, forces, compels, requires, or coerces The Clubbies to engage in any activity which would cause harm, damage, injury, or impairment to the otherwise normal and sufficiently functioning life operations of The Clubbies, be it of corporeal form, mental capacity, or spiritual enlightenment, and shall not bring undue stress, pressure, strain, anxiety, or tension to any of The Clubbies who may, or may not participate, in whole, or in part, at their sole discretion.

Esther said...

Who are you people? I could never talk like that.

Mom & Dad said...

I can tell this world is in great hands. What happened to it after the (short)Gettysburg address? Now I can tell why it takes Congress 50,000 words to set the price of milk!!
-Dad

Rachel, Tony & Family said...

Too funny ya all! we had a laugh at this one. Dad nice to see a comment from you. And Shad way to blog!!
Rach

Rachel, Tony & Family said...

Hey Shad Brown...sorry, Honorable Shad Brown. Attaboy, way to represent. I understand your conundrum. I don't have have much to contribute to your discussion. I haven't tuned in to Rush Limbaugh for quite some time, so I'm not sure what to say. Actually, I have been listening to some C-SPAN radio the last few days. I caught a great discussion the other day. Margaret Spelling (Secretary of Education) was presenting her Final Report titled, "A Test of Leadership" to an assembly of lawmakers and interest groups. The discussion was very fascinating. The report was the end product of year-long commission designed to find solutions to better the higher education in the US. Most of her recomendations were based on NCLB, or No Child Left Behind which mandates every child be educated to grade level by 2014 (among other education directives). I'll save my own opinions on NCLB for another time or another blog. Nevertheless Mrs. Spelling raised some valid concerns over the current system and whether or not the system was allowing the US to keep pace among world leaders and a competitive global economy. She noted faults in access to a college scholarship, faults in financing a college scholarship and inaccessible information to students and parents. Not to mention a growing population diversity. I couldn't help but relate her dialogue to those you and I have shared on occassion. Upon hearing her report in it's entirety my eyes were open to the potential abyss that lies ahead for our succeeding generation. One that could quite possibly cripple a strong US economy and weaken our stance as a world power.

A few days later I heard our own Sen. Jon Kyl present arguments before congress oposing the amendment of Arlen Spector to remove the banning of Habeas Corpus from the bill regarding the interrogation and rights of enemy combatants. On the surface it seems ridiculous why Spector's Amendment would merit the discusion and time it was given. The Amendment would secure habeas corpus in the new terror bill allowing enemy combatants to file a writ of habeas corpus and challenge the legality of their imprisonment. I understand how important everyone's right are (US or Foreign), but can't justify giving detainees the oportunity to tie up our rage terror in our judicial system.

On another note, there couldn't be more to discuss in regards to the health and status of ASU football. Should Koetter stay or go? Who would replace him? Should Koetter have turned an eye to Sam Keller's potentially self-distructive substance abuse? Would he have performed better? Why is Rudy struggling? How is next year's recruiting class shaping up? Etc. Your Golden Eagles of Southern Miss are looking pretty good. A good Tulsa team got the best of them but VA Tech in a few weeks might have some upset noise. Well, anyways...I'll wrap this up and finish my Coke Zero.

Stephanie and Joel Biggs said...

Shad - I'm just happy to see from your photo that you have lost some weight. Congratulations!

Joel

AUGUST ~BAPTISM FOR THE DEAD ANNOUNCED BY JOSEPH SMITH

     One of the most precious doctrines of the Gospel is the doctrine of vicarious work for the dead.  August 15, 1840 is when Joseph Smi...