Thursday, June 23, 2011

Jumpin' Jolly June Continued

The reunion this year was great, as always. It was so relaxing not to be in charge! Jan and Kent were our leaders and they did a great job, focusing on our "deep roots" as our network of family love and support. Jeremy and his kids came on Saturday, and Rachel & Tony's family, Esther and Shad's family and Mary and Tyson's family all came, set up tents and stayed for the whole time. I know it was a lot of work for them, but I hope it was worth it.
When Dad went on his morning walk, Harrison, Marlie, Isabel and Brianna went with him.




We celebrated Grandpa's 86th birthday.



The kids reconnected with cousins and aunts and uncles and great grandparents.
























Clem and Odessa


Saturday night dance








Bridger and Luke got "wounded" by Kent




Can you believe big hairy Charlie braiding Rachel's hair???


All the great grandchildren who were there. Rylie and possibly Wendy's Lucas were the oldest ones! There were 25 from the Biggs family, alone, who were missing, so it would have been a much bigger group.


The highlight, of course, was Grandpa's blessing on the family for the coming year. He is getting feeble, it is true, but his spirit is still just as strong as ever and his blessing on us just as valid and loving.








Joel and Stephanie were in Europe during the reunion, on a family vacation. They sent us pictures of their trip. This one is of the boys in Germany, I think


Docker's knees got sunburned two days before they left on their trip. He was on a Scout fishing trip, and although Steph sent sunscreen with him, I guess he didn't think to put it on his knees! They called Karl who prescribed some ointment and told them to wrap his knees in Saran wrap! I said that was absolutely wrong and that it would just hold in the heat. Fortunately for Docker, they decided to trust Karl instead of me and he got well quickly and was able to enjoy the trip.













After the reunion, Rebecca and Scott and their family invited us to go with them and share their Mexican vacation in Rocky Point. We took our car and they took theirs and they were both full of all the good food, games and fun things we were going to eat and do in Mexico.



On the way, Scott realized that one of his tires was weak, so he bought another tire in Ajo. None of the tire places had new tires, so he had to settle for a used one which lasted all of ten minutes! It unwrapped itself just north of the border, so we stopped and unloaded their car to get to the donut-type spare. While we were stopped three border patrol cars stopped to help. One of them went on when he saw we had plenty of help. It was an exciting beginning for our Mexican adventure. Scott got a new tire in Mexico and they never had another problem. We never felt threatened or in danger one minute during our whole stay or during the trip to and from.




















The desert through which we traveled was hot and barren and so bleak. But when we actually saw the resort at which we would be staying it was like a wonderful little oasis.






You can see how happy the Evans kids were to finally be there. Yipee!



The rooms were like a condo in that we had a kitchen, living room, two bedrooms and two baths, but like a hotel in that we had maid service. They came in every morning and left us towel sculptures.
lovely rooms






We ate delicious Mexican food, including Chicken Hut, Taco Hut, Resort restaurant, and Rebecca's delicious home (condo)-cooked meals.


















We had a lot of time to do whatever we wanted to do, like read my new Kindle



play games




watch movies


play on the beach


























Swim in the huge pool























Lounge at poolside or on the beach





We even got a massage. Here, Lillian's magic hands are loosening my tight shoulder muscles, but Rebecca and I even got a professional massage at the resort's massage parlor. You'll be glad to know I don't have pictures of that activity.










We (they) played tennis







Even table tennis







We went to church in Rocky Point




























The last day










It was great to be with the Evans family. We really enjoyed our relaxing vacation in Mexico.



The night we got home from Mexico, we listened to our phone messages and heard one from Carolyn telling us that Dad's uncle, Bob Kellis, had passed away and that his memorial service was being held in Mesa the next day. So we packed up again and went to Mesa. It was a good thing. Dad got to see some of his family that he hasn't seen in years. Esther went with us and we really appreciated her support. Joel and Jeremy were both in DC. We took Esther to El Charro after the service. Yum!



Stetson was gone to Europe for his birthday, so we went by his house after the funeral to take him his gift.


Rachel and Mary wanted to have a Fathers' Day celebration since they had missed that day with their dad, so we had dinner and presents and swimming on the last FHE in June. A good way to wrap up the month






June was wonderful, even though it was so busy we could hardly catch our breath. At the reunion, Grandma Hiatt handed me a stack of magazines to take home to read. I told her I never read magazines except for the Ensign and sometimes the Readers' Digest. She said "Then what do you do with your time?" Oh my goodness! If I ever have time to read, I read a book. Even then I have to do it while I'm doing something else. Like doing this blog, I read while pictures are uploading:) But my days and weeks and months are so full that it's truly a blessing, I guess. No time to get bored, that's for sure. Just wait til July rolls around...another busy month, I am sure. For one thing, we are planning Dad's birthday at the lake. If you want to come, it will be July 16th, a Saturday. Bring your own snacks and drinks. We'll let you know about the time and exact location.

8 comments:

Thomas Jennifer Biggs said...

Happy times! Glad to see your enjoying yourselves!

Mom & Dad said...

I don't know how Mom remembers all these things. As I read it I get excited all over again. Thank you for letting us be a part of your lives. You need to know that as soon as we got home from Rocky Point Mom was in the pool again. I don't know how one person can love swimming so much. You should see her tan. The first time I met her she was as dark as ...chocalate. And with curly hair a sight to behold---that's why I fell in love with her. Send us a few pictures from those of you that are not shown so we can include them

Evans Family said...

WOW, what a post. It was fun to see everything. So sorry that we missed the reunion, I hate missing those. Especially now that I've finished Grandpa and Grandma's book that mom wrote, I feel like I know them so much better now.

I loved all of the pictures of Rocky Point. I am so glad that you guys came. We will have those memories forever. We had fun showing mom and dad all of our vacation fun. They were good sports and were willing to do everything we told them to do. Dad even skim boarded with DeWitt. I did feel so bad about the whole tire incident, but they were good sports. Thank you so much for coming. We loved every minute with the both of you.

Rachel, Tony & Family said...

awe, dad I love your comment! good job mom!!

Mary, Tyson and Family said...

Awesome month! You guys just keep going and going. We Safford kids get excited when mom and dad are just home for a day. it doesn't seem to happen that often. ha ha thanks for the post mom!

Allisun said...

Viva La Mexico!!! So glad you guys came with us:)

Esther said...

I'm glad I got to go to the funeral with you guys. Its fun having one on one time with Dad and Mom. Thanks for the El Charro too! And who can forget our double date to Les Mis! Sorry that Joel and Steph couldn't use them but yay for us :). June was a good month.

Stephanie and Joel Biggs said...

thanks for all the updates. July will be equally busy!

AUGUST ~BAPTISM FOR THE DEAD ANNOUNCED BY JOSEPH SMITH

     One of the most precious doctrines of the Gospel is the doctrine of vicarious work for the dead.  August 15, 1840 is when Joseph Smi...