Sunday, April 29, 2007

Portugal pictures 4-29-07

Here is a farmer and his wife (maybe his mother, because she's in black.) Farmers can't afford cars, so they drive their tractors everywhere. This sight is really quite common, but I think it is so cute, so I had to take a picture.
Here is Dad and the Elders with Beatriz. Dad confirmed her last Sunday, but I didn't have my camera, so I had to take a picture on Thursday when we went to visit her at home. Her daughter was friendly, by the way. She showed us her house that day; she had wanted to show us before, but had to wait until she took down all the idols of saints, etc. down. She still faithfully wears her crucifix, though...so do many of the other members...they just think it's jewelry.

The old women in Nazare all dress in traditional costumes. These are all widows in black.






This is Dad & me in Nazare. Dad was so impressed with how beautiful the ocean looked.

6 comments:

Esther said...

Those are the cutest pictures!!!! You both look great by the beach too. It looks like a wonderful experience.

Shauna said...

Hi you guys! you look like you are having fun. alot has been going on at school. i have been getting A's and B's in all of my classes. My choirteacher told me to try out for the honor choir at the high school. it made so me excited!!. I hope you 2 are having the time of your lives serving a mission in Portugal.
Love you
Bethany

Rachel, Tony & Family said...

You look great! How sad those widows wear black as a traditional dress. So they always wear black?

Mom & Dad said...

Yes. Until they die. I don't think any of them ever remarry. We know one widow who was abused by her husband, but he died and so she wears black and will until she dies. How sad. One sad think about it is all the widowered Portuguese old men who have no one to take care of them, so they just sit around and gossip. We see old women sitting around, once in a while, too, but they are always selling something or making something. The old men just seem lost.
Oh, Bethany, how wonderful. Yes, you definitely need to try out for honor choir next year. Have your choir teacher put in a good word for you so the high school choir teacher will be looking for you. Congratulations on your good report card, by the way.

Stephanie and Joel Biggs said...

You both look great! Thanks for the pictures. Why don't you try to get some of the lonely old men with the widowed women? Don't they do that there?
Steph

Mom & Dad said...

I've wondered that too. I don't know. Maybe they think it is wrong to marry again. I know the Catholic church isn't against it, but I think that their tradition is. They think that being faithful until they die is what they are supposed to do. It's like a badge of honor to wear the black until they die. The men, however, don't wear black for their dead wives. Funny, huh? The women in the Church, our church, don't wear black even if they are widows, but I don't know of any who have remarried. However, I admit that I don't know that many widows in the Church...just the ones in our branch.

AUGUST ~BAPTISM FOR THE DEAD ANNOUNCED BY JOSEPH SMITH

     One of the most precious doctrines of the Gospel is the doctrine of vicarious work for the dead.  August 15, 1840 is when Joseph Smi...