Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Family fun

We are only 5 days into our 10 day trip, but I thought you might enjoy some pictures of the things we have done so far. Nathan and Shauna have arranged a good time for us and for Daniel and Connie's family, complete with huge snack bags for our trip to Nauvoo, breakfasts in their suite and lunches in the park and rooms at the hotel and programs and things to do. They have done a great job, and we really appreciate their hospitality. We are all staying in their house when we are in Omaha and the kids have moved out of their rooms and made room for us. They even set up a tent for Jonathan in Bethany's room where Daniel and Connie are sleeping.
The night before we left Mesa for Omaha and Nauvoo, the girls apent the night in the condo and were excited and eager for the trip. They took motion sickness pills the next morning and Reygan, not realizing that hers was not the chewable variety, chewed it up. "Disgusting!" she said. I don't think they realized just how long two days on the road would be, but they were real troopers and very good natured.

It was a very long trip.










We arrived in Omaha just in time to watch the lightning bugs. They put on quite a pre-4th of July show. Then, on Sunday morning we attended Nathan and Shauna's ward where Joshua was presented and approved to receive the Melchezidek Priesthood. Nathan, assisted by Dad and Daniel, as well as the bishop and some young men leaders, ordained Josh an Elder. We were very proud of him. He has also received his Eagle Scout award, but is still waiting for his court of honor.


We ate dinner, last night, at the Hotel Nauvoo. Nathan had reserved a very nice room just for our family.









On our way to the program last night, some of the fast walkers had to patiently wait for us slow walkers. They found a couple of handy benches by the Temple.

We all went to watch "Sunset on the Mississippi" a variety show put on by the senior missionaries and the performance missionaries from BYU. It was full of songs and dances and jokes and some pretty good music. The kids loved it. They clapped and whooped and sang along. Before the show, all the kids from 5-11 were invited to parade around and around. Bethany told them that if they would do something dorky she would give them candy. So, one of the performance missionaries heard her and kept jumping up in the air and yelling "Hooray for candy!" Or "Hooray for Bethany!" It was quite funny.

After the show, the girls double buckled for the short ride back to the hotel.










One of the highlights of the Nauvoo experience, so far, was the opportunity to dress up like pioneers and play pioneer games. They walked on stilts, had bear races, played toss the hoop and other pretty neat games. Aren't they cute pioneer children?

Here are some of the kids gathered around Joseph's and Hyrum's graves. They were very impressed to be standing in the spot where the prophet was buried.









We saw a musical play, put on by the BYU performance missionaries. It was so much fun and the kids especially liked seeing the actors after the play in the lobby.

12 comments:

Connie and Daniel Biggs Family said...

I would echo mom's comments about Shauna and Nathan, they are excellent hosts and have been patient tour guides for us first timers even though they've been here so many times. I told Joshua that he's going to start having to pay taxes here if he keeps coming so often. This morning before we left, Nathan spent some time telling the kids the story of Nauvoo and I wish I was recording it because it sounded like a CES fireside. It really was good to help the kids understand the significance of this holy place.

While it's no secret that I love shooting off fireworks and truth be told we've already shot off a few...visiting Nauvoo is far and away worth the trip. There is distinctly a special spirit here, a closeness to our ancestors and to the Prophet Joseph. Tomorrow Nathan and Grandpa Tom and I are taking the kids to the temple for baptisms so we're looking forward to that. I'm sure much more later as we get into the fireworks but for now just being in Nauvoo with tour guides like Nathan and Dad is really something special. Thank you Nathan and Shauna for pulling this together.

Rachel, Tony & Family said...

GREAT PICTURES!! Thanks for blogging them. I'm so sad I'm missing it I should have just packed up the kids and headed out like a good pioneer woman. :} But since I'm not... (I'm too much of a wimp to do it by myself.)
Anyway thanks mom and dad for taking Rylie, she looks like she's having fun. I'm glad she is able to experience it all, I can't wait to hear all about it.

Stephanie and Joel Biggs said...

Josh -- why are you dressed so modernly in the pioneer picture (heehee)? Looks like fun!

Erika said...

Thanks for blogging the pictures. It looks and sounds like everyone is having a great time. It is good to see Reygan in all of those pics. We sure miss her but we know that she is having a great time. Thank you for taking her. This will be an experience she will never forget.

Esther said...

Wow
Wish we could join in the fun!!! Sounds like you guys are livin it up and making lots of awsome memories.

Esther said...

Wow
Wish we could join in the fun!!! Sounds like you guys are livin it up and making lots of awsome memories.

Evans Family said...

These look so great. It looks like you guys are having so much fun. I saw a picture of Lillian by the grave stones, beside the Mississippi river, and I also have a picture of Scott in the exact place, just 4 days before. The river was much higher. I wish that I could do it all and be everywhere. Thankyou all for letting Lillian be a part of this awesome experience. Nathan and Shauna, you guys are amazing. You put so much into all of this I can tell.

Rachel, Tony & Family said...

We met a few cool missionaries that did all the plays like "High hopes and river boats" was our favorite.
And Bethany met her "future boyfriend" there. She is OBSESSED with him! She calls him Elder hottie.He is the one in the picture wearing a sheep vest. And our favorite was Elder Reynolds. Every time we went to one of their plays he would try to remember our names. He was the funniest and the best. He liked hanging out with the cool crowd. (that would be us)
-Rylie

Shauna said...

omg its me and elder hottie!!!!!! he was awesome at the show!!!! well navoo was so much fun and it was a great experience and ya......

-bethany

ps me and elder hottie r getting married!! lol i mean elder stewart

Rachel, Tony & Family said...

OMG! This has been such an amazing trip! Thank you Rebecca and Rachel and Erika + husbands fo letting us have your daughters for a little while. They miss you more than you'll ever know but they are having fun! Nauvoo was an AWESOME! The temple was wonderful and spiritual experience. All the elders are cool!
-Devynne
P.S. This might show up as Rachels family but its because riley just commented.

Reygan said...

Yah It was so funny when we met Elder Stewart(aka Elder Hottie). It looked like everyone was looking at Bethany and was laughing. It looked like she was going to scream. That was so fun. Especially seeing all the cousins again.

Reygan said...

P.s. stop saying O-M-Goat its kinda wierd hearing mormons say that.

AUGUST ~BAPTISM FOR THE DEAD ANNOUNCED BY JOSEPH SMITH

     One of the most precious doctrines of the Gospel is the doctrine of vicarious work for the dead.  August 15, 1840 is when Joseph Smi...