Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Ornament memories



I got this idea from my BFF: Each year we buy an ornament that represents that person, their interests, or an event from the past year. Here are our past two years:

2007 - Nathan (Noah's Ark) for surviving tough financial year @ work
Shauna (thread tree) for her interest in sewing
Joshua (car) for getting his driver's license in July & getting a car in Sept
Bethany (cell phone tree) for breaking 1 phone & dropping 1 in the toilet (don't ask) & constant use
Hannah (bicycle) for getting a bike and overcoming her fear of learning to ride

2008 - Nathan (life jacket) for water skiing after 25 years
Shauna (butterfly) for spreading her wings & starting to fly
Joshua (graduation frame) for graduating from high school & seminary & getting his Eagle
Bethany (dog) for getting one after 5 years of dreaming/asking
Hannah (baby) because she is in constant demand for babysitting (2-3 jobs/week) - couldn't find $ one

So maybe y'all would like this, too. It makes for an interesting tree & conversations & memories.

6 comments:

Connie and Daniel Biggs Family said...

Thanks for sharing and an excellent idea. The cool thing is we share some of those memories too. That water skiing trip was fun. In retrospect I wish I would have tried.

I'm wondering where to find an ornament that represents a 500 shot firework that accidentally launches because your neighbor's parachute falls perfectly on the fuse and lights it, putting everyone in mortal danger.

- Daniel

Nathan said...

We might have to design that ornament ourselves ;-)

Mom & Dad said...

What a good idea. I think it might be something we could work into a family tradition as a gift-giving thing. Ornament exchange instead of gift exchange. What do you think?

Shauna said...

we'll keep our eyes open for that mortal danger ornament Daniel.

Erika said...

That is such a good idea! Those are super cute!

Rachel, Tony & Family said...

I've been doing that now for about 5 years now The kids love remembering what they did every year to get that ornament. This year Tony got a nascar and couldn't resist a Cardinal football ornament. I got my self a new house ornament isy was baptised this year. Rylie continues to bake and sew and won a lot of blue ribbons at the fair Luke is all about Star wars this year and the twins got prescious moment sledders which is funny because really the moments are'nt very precious.

AUGUST ~BAPTISM FOR THE DEAD ANNOUNCED BY JOSEPH SMITH

     One of the most precious doctrines of the Gospel is the doctrine of vicarious work for the dead.  August 15, 1840 is when Joseph Smi...