Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Fantastic Fourth


We had another great visit to the Nebraska Biggs for the 4th of July weekend. I know we're a pretty overwhelming group to visit anywhere but they always make us feel welcome and provide us with lots of great lifetime family memories. When we first arrived we noticed on our schedule of activities "Hot Guy Corn Stand". Bethany was determined to take us to the corn stand because a "Hot Guy" worked there. I guess she has a thing for portly retired bald guys who wear white sox...

Below is our visit to the Mormon Trail Center. It is a very sacred place and I don't think you can ever spend enough time there.
Small cabin inside the center. Very small but where families of as many as 12 slept.
We also visited the zoo. We've been to a number of zoos but this has got to be one of the best.
Emma loves her Bethany.
After the zoo we visited the Winter Quarters Temple where the older kids did baptisms (See Nathan's e-mail to Joshua for pictures). We've visited a few temples now for baptisms and it's interesting to see the differences but the sacred similarities of the baptismal font. After the kids finished their baptisms, I baptized Nathan for 10 names then we traded places and he baptized me for 10 names. I haven't actually been baptized for the dead since I was a kid so it was humbling and especially good to have Nathan do that.

I was tempted to put more pictures of Emma and other kids catching fire flies. Watching the girls and Jonathan run around trying to catch those bugs as they lit up was pure gold. Emma's face says it all. Of course Shauna was prepared with a jar just for the occasion.
We had SMORES one evening in their back yard then shot off Roman Candles the night before the main show. When we first visited in 2002, Joshua took us in the back yard to shoot Roman Candles and some fire crackers so ever since, we've always done the same thing. It was good to think of Joshua while we did that this time.

Ready for the show. As we started unloading the cars, we could hear the neighbors across the street say, "oh good, they're going to do their show tonight." It is the greatest complement when they set up their lawn chairs just to watch the Biggs Family Fireworks Extravaganza!!!
Having the little kids do poppers to get warmed up while we set up the show.
Parker cutting the tops off of the covered artillary. The one he's working on was called the Power Pack. It has been one of our favorites. 32 shots of patriotic gun powder and exploding shells.
I tried to upload a video of the show but I'm having trouble so I'll have to load that later. Trust me for now, it was fantastic.

Anyway, thanks NE Biggs for letting us visit.

5 comments:

Mom & Dad said...

Thank you for sharing your visit with us. You all look so happy and like you are having so much fun. I especially appreciate the picture of your whole family at the visitor's center. I am going to copy that and put it on my wall if that's ok with you. I know it meant a lot to Nathan to have you visit and I know it meant a lot to Bethany and Hannah. They look forward to it all year.

Esther said...

looks like you had an amazing time! I loved that you blogged about it.

Esther said...

looks like you had an amazing time! I loved that you blogged about it.

Shauna said...

We love having them visit! Next year we're going to walk to Iowa across the pedestrian bridge. (It's not as bad as it sounds) You can be in two states at once! We're already thinking of more fun things to do. Wanna do the slides again? It's been awhile since we did that. Anyway, thanks for coming. LY

Evans Family said...

It looks like you guys had a great time. Thanks for sharing with us. It seems like anything with Bethany is "Hot guy" I remember Lillian telling me, even in Nauvoo she preambled places she was going with "hot guy". You're a girl after your auntie's own heat. I do tend to think that chubby bald guys wouldb't be bethany's style though. he he. Love ya all

AUGUST ~BAPTISM FOR THE DEAD ANNOUNCED BY JOSEPH SMITH

     One of the most precious doctrines of the Gospel is the doctrine of vicarious work for the dead.  August 15, 1840 is when Joseph Smi...