We only have two birthdays in November, but I have to say they are pretty important ones...mine and Allison's.
Stetson was asked to play his guitar at a Thatcher music program. Dad & I had Temple that night, so we weren't able to go, but I called his Grandma Layton and asked her to take a picture. I still don't have it, but I have another one with his guitar.
Allison turned 20 in November. It's hard to believe, but it's true. We had a lovely time with her family celebrating her birthday.
We went with Rebecca and her family to see the Nashville Tribute Band and Due West in concert. Stetson was there too, with his Layton g-parents. We took a picture with the female lead singer, who happened to be Emma in the movie "Emma." Emma (I don't know her real name) stayed with Rebecca and Scott as did other band members. They even went running together.
I turned 65 in November. It was exciting to me, believe it or not. Dad has been counting the years, the months, then the weeks and the days until I could get medicare. We knew Social Security wouldn't be much since I only worked for 6 years, but Medicare would reduce our insurance premiums a bunch. I received flowers from Joel & Steph, a really neat shirt from Rebecca that I wear all the time, presents and pictures from the grandkids, and a loving gift of service from Rachel and Mary. Dad gave me some dvds that he wanted and President Monson's book that I wanted. We had a party and Rylie made a "Rylie cake." I loved having everyone here. It was a wonderful day.
We all went to the El Charro for my birthday lunch.
When we got home from the Temple on the 9th, I walked back to the office, which had been stuffed, wall-to-wall with furniture, boxes, files, etc., etc., ad nauseum. Rachel and Mary had cleaned it up for me so I could reach my sewing machine! What a wonderful birthday gift. They even left a Symphony bar on the bulletin board they had put up.
We have enjoyed being in the Temple this month. One of the highlights, for me, was being able to help a lovely young Brazilian girl through the Temple for her first time. I had been learning the ordinances in Spanish, but wanted to learn them in Portuguese. I just didn't think there would be an occasion to use it. Dad said, "if you learn it, the Lord will bring someone who needs it." So, now I am memorizing the ordinances in Portuguese. This picture, by the way, was taken by Erika.

We loved the all-Arizona broadcast that we had in November. As part of our Stake Conference, Tony was sustained as a member of the High Council. He was ordained a High Priest right after the meeting, by his father, and assisted by Dad, Scott, and President Elicio. There may have been someone else, but I can't remember.
On the previous Saturday, the Thatcher Stake had a Primary Activity day. When Mary took her kids, she was pleasantly surprised to see Stetson manning a booth...the car destruction booth! What fun!

I had an appointment with my cousin Sandy's knee doctor on Thursday, the 18th, so we decided to drive on down to Mesa so we could spend some time with grandchildren. To that end, we stayed at Joel and Stephanie's house on Thursday night. Stetson, of course, was in Thatcher, and Docker had gone to the premier of "Harry Potter," but we had a good visit with Crew and Levi. Dad helped Crew make a kite for school, and I helped Levi prepare for a "Huckleberry Finn" test the next day. It has been fun getting to be a "teacher" again. I have also been helping Dallin with a research paper and got to help Marlie with a school project.


Hannah also went to see "Harry Potter" when it opened. Bethany had arranged the party, but then got sick and had to miss. I really want to see it, too, but haven't had the time. Maybe when it comes on itunes. Of course, I'm still waiting for "Eclipse!"

We had a cookout at Esther & Shad's house on Friday night. Mary & Tyson were in town getting ready to go to California, and they came, as did Jenn and her family. I really enjoyed watching the cousins play together. It's been nice having Jenn and the kids here. We miss Thomas, of course, but look forward to seeing him soon.


Jenn and the kids went to the lighting ceremony at the Mesa Temple.
Joel and Jeremy and their families, with help from Shad, set up risers and sound equipment and chairs and whatever else was needed for the Gilbert Temple groundbreaking ceremony. They were even on the news! The building of the Temple will take about 2 years, they say.

Dad and I were planning to eat Thanksgiving dinner at Grandma and Grandpa Hiatts because it was our off-year, but we woke up on Wednesday morning, sick with bad colds, so we decided to stay home rather than share our germs along with our thanks. Rebecca took pity on us, however and invited us, along with our germs, to eat with them. What a feast! Lillian and Polly had decorated everything to look so beautiful that it was an eye-feast long before we sat down with our food.
After-dinner activities
The next day, Rebecca and Scott's family hiked up Mt. Graham. We tried to see them with our binoculars but they were too high. Here is Lillian waving her red hanky so that we could see them. It didn't work.

Daniel sent pictures of their "processed" Thanksgiving turkeys. Do you remember eating our turkeys? I remember being surprised that they tasted good.
Before:
After
Daniel also sent us an audio recording of Devynne singing "The National Anthem." She sang for their homecoming game and then was asked to sing for the playoff game. I admit that I was so surprised. I didn't know how well she could sing. I guess I have never heard her. I don't know why I should be surprised because she is, after all, Daniel's daughter. I wish I knew how to put it on the blog, but since I don't, just imagine a lovely voice, a little on the alto side, just enough vibrato and no flinching on the high notes.
Mary & Tyson took their family to California to attend his brother's wedding reception, and while they were over there, they enjoyed some of the California theme parks and beaches. In spite of Mary's strep throat, they had a good time.

And finally, as the month wound down, we began to think about decorating for Christmas, but our boxes were all in the basement. Thankfully, Stetson and Rachel's family came and helped us bring everything up and get our house ready for the season. We are ready for December. What will we call it? "Dazzling December?" "Delightful December?" "Delirious December?" I guess I'll have to wait to see how I feel after our big reunion at the last of the month
5 comments:
Another great month and another great post Mom. I have to add though, that Shad also helped Joel and Jeremy with the Gilbert Temple ground breaking. I just didn't want him to be left out of the history. :)
Thanks Esther. I'll add him. I don't want him to be left out either.
These days don't seem to slow down. I am glad we can see a history of them on the blog!
Can't wait to see everyone at the Cabin!!
Well, Mom did her usual magnificent job. While November was great December started out being her "miracle" month. You'll have to ask her about that. She is a Mother of great faith and perseverance and the Lord loves her--and so do we.
Dad
i was wandering how long did you guys have too wait in line to see the premier of harry potter because we had to wait 2 hours in line. and there was a guy who waited for 6 hours so he would be first in.
-Shadrach
Post a Comment