Thursday, March 03, 2011

Fantastic February

February has been a very busy month, but I have spent the 2nd half of it just lying around! Things have been happening without us, though, and even though I don't have pictures, I need to mention some of them: Devynne won the Colorado State DECA competition and will compete in Nationals in Orlando. Shadrach got the lead in his school play, a musical, "Pirates of Penzance," Allison is coaching the girls tennis team at Pima High School and has received letters of interest for tennis scholarships from Dixie College in St. George, Western New Mexico University and Southern Virginia University. She is hoping Dixie will work out. Devynne has been accepted to BYU and is considering that and also considering EAC. Wouldn't that be great? DeWitt's choir is in California, at this very moment, competing in a FAME competition. There are some other things, but I mention them in the body of the blog, such as Hannah's winning her solo competition.
We had a quick but wonderful visit from Jeremy and Erika's family.



Josh has been called to be a zone leader.












We have more grandchildren born in February than in any other single month. All my life, I only had one sister with a birthday in February, but no parent or grandparent, brother-or-sister-in-law, husband, or child with a birthday in February. Then, with the birthday of Parker 16 years ago, everything changed. Now we have 8 February grandchild birthdays! First we have Marlie's 9th, Brianna's 6th, Lindsay's 3rd, Parker's 16th, Polly's 12th, Bridger's 7th, Daynen's 15th, and Hannah's 15th.










On the 3rd, we went to Mesa to go to Tayte's play. When we got there we went to Esther's to visit and were entertained by Soren and Bridger.























While we were in Mesa, we heard the news that the ceiling in the 20th St. Chapel had collapsed from frozen sprinklers in the attic. We had been having such a cold spell! Once that week, when Dad was on his walk, he came in, and after putting his freezing hands on my warm face, he showed me the outside temperature...6 degrees! Anyway, because of the repairs that needed to be done to our building, the wards that meet there were told to just attend whatever wards they wanted to for the next 2 or 3 weeks. We went to Rebecca's ward the first week, then Rachel's ward, then Mary's ward. As of now, however, they say it is going to take up to 6 months to finish the repairs, so we meet in the Stake Center at 3:00p.m.
We went to Tayte's play later that night. It was held at the Mesa Fine Arts Center. That is actually the first time I have ever been in it. Tayte played a pirate in "Peter Pan." He was very fierce, but still very cute. I have to say he was the cutest one. He even had some lines to say. We enjoyed it very much. Daynen was on the stage crew.


















February 4th was Marlie's 9th and Brianna's 6th birthday. We happened to be in Mesa because of Tayte's play, so we were able to help celebrate Marlie's. I even painted names and cupcakes on aprons for her party after school.


On our way out of town, we had lunch at Dad's new favorite restaurant, El Pollo Loco. Esther took her kids out of school for lunch and joined us.

We got home just in time to have dinner at Mary's to celebrate Brianna's 6th birthday. Luckily Mary had a magnet board for the magnet paper dolls we gave her. She loved them.

On Thursday, the 10th, Dad and I went to Mesa to have my blood tested again. I had done it before, but when they rescheduled my surgery from January 24th to February 22, the blood tests were no longer valid and I had to do it all over again. So we went to Mesa for that and to take my prescriptions in that I had to have ready to take to the hospital with me. Also, Dad had a condo board meeting. We ate lunch with Joel and Stephanie and Stetson. Later, Carolyn came over to bring me some books that she thought might help in my research of Dad's family for the book I am writing about your Grandmother Nora's and Grandfather Ellis' lives.

Dallin's call came in the mail on Friday the 11th, and the family gathered to watch him open it and to see where he is called to serve. Argentina!!! He was so happy that he will be able to teach in Spanish.





On Saturday, February 12, Dallin went to the Temple for the first time, to receive his own endowments. They were glad to have Rachel & Tony, Mary & Tyson, Jeremy & Erika attending, as well as G&G Biggs and Grandma Sherry and Evans aunts and uncles.


I have been having so much fun this week, calling Kirtlyn on Ichat and doing homework with her. We have been trading stories to read. She's progressing very well.
On Sunday, the 13th, we celebrated Lindsay's 3rd birthday. Our little preemie is 3 years old and healthy and happy. Dallin also pinned his missionary card to the missionary board that day, with the string stretched to Argentina.



On Monday, Valentine's Day, Dad and I went out to eat together, making the day simple and stress-free. Hope you all did the same...simple and stress-free, that is.
Some time this week, and I don't remember exactly when it was, Daniel took Shadrach and Albert out of school to go skiing. They had a great time until Albert tanked on his snowboard and broke his arm just below his shoulder. They had to have a rescue team come and carry him out. He isn't in a cast, though, because of the location of the break, so he just has to endure the pain and try to protect it until it heals.



On Sunday, we attended Mary and Tyson's ward, clear out by the Temple, and took Una Mae Larson with us in her wheelchair. After we took her home and after Dad did an audit for one of the wards, we packed up and drove to Mesa for my surgery. We went straight to Grandma and Grandpa's house only to find they weren't home. They were at Karen and Mike's. They came right home, though, when they found out that we were there. We also saw Emily, who had a broken foot and a sprained ankle, Melissa and Cynthia. When G&G got home, after visiting for a while, I asked Grandpa if he would give me a blessing before my surgery. Dad anointed and Grandpa gave me a wonderful blessing. It was clear and even though he repeated himself a little bit, it was very articulate and I could tell that he knew what he was doing and what he was saying. I have always wanted to have a blessing at my father's hands before he died. I hope this wasn't my last chance. And believe it or not, I didn't take any pictures!

On Monday night we went to Joel's for Family Home Evening. The Jeremy & Erika family came and the Esther & Shad family came, so we had quite a crowd. We cooked hamburgers and hot dogs on the grill outside and had a good time visiting with each other. Before the evening was through, I asked the men if they would give me a blessing. Dad, Joel, Jeremy, Shad and Stetson gathered around me and laid their hands on my head to bless me for the surgery the following day. I asked Stetson to anoint and Dad to bless. Of course they gave me a beautiful blessing and I could feel the combined Priesthood power. The younger kids sat quietly and I hope they understood the magnitude of what was happening.





On Tuesday, the 22nd, (Parker's 16th birthday..we actually called him that evening) I finally went in to have my total knee replacement. I saw Dr. Matthews as he flew in and marked my leg (so they wouldn't operate on the wrong leg) and then flew out again. Dad, who was sitting right beside me didn't even see him he was so fast. Dad was probably looking down at his phone for a second and missed him. But he did see him after the surgery and said that things went just the way they should. They put in a knee that was especially made for me in Switzerland. It is titanium and chrome. I feel like a true bionic woman. I had to wait in the recovery room for 4 hours because the hospital was so busy that they didn't have a room for me...senior citizens getting knee replacements? I finally got to a very nice room and was taken good care of. Dad and Esther took turns staying with me so I didn't get too independent and try to get up by myself (I did one night when I had to go to the bathroom and didn't want to wait for a CNA to help me. I did just fine).






Thursday was the day they finally let me go home...well, to the condo. It was good to get out of the hospital, although they really did take good care of me. But poor Dad was exhausted, I think. Joel came by and helped unload me from the car.
On Friday, we had lots of company to take my mind off my knee. Jeremy and Reygan and Ellie came by and then Joel and Steph and Docker and Crew came by in the evening. It was good to see them outside the walls of the hospital. Jeremy and Erika visited me in the hospital on the first day. That was actually when I was feeling my best...all drugged up and numb. I also had visits from Nancy and Lisa and Deon at the hospital, but I didn't think to take pictures while I was hospital bound. Sorry.

















Saturday the 26th was Polly's 12th and Bridger's 7th birthdays. Esther brought her kids over to visit and so we could give Bridger a birthday present. We called Polly and she told us that she had been selected to be on the basketball all-star team. She's a starter! Nancy brought Grandma and Grandpa over too. I felt like a very special person that so many would go out of their way to visit me.



We came home on Sunday the 27th, after having Esther and Shad and their family come over after church to help load me into the car. Soren wanted to help too. Rebecca and DeWitt and Lillian and Polly met us at home to help unload me. I sound like just a load of cargo, don't I? That's just how I felt too.



Here are Rebecca and Rachel and Mary (starting to get sick and not wanting to get too close to me).



February 28th (29th) was Daynen's and Hannah's 15th birthday. It's hard to believe that those beautiful babies are 15 years old...soon to drive...and date! When I called Hannah, she told me that she had won a solo competition. Good job Hannah! And Daynen is so involved in making movies. Maybe one day he will be the new Steven Spielberg!
Rachel brought dinner to us that day. We sure have appreciated all the good food and good visits from Rebecca and Rachel. Rebecca and her family brought dinner on Sunday.




Mary wishes she could help too, but she is totally down with the flu and thankfully doesn't want to give it to us. She checks on us by phone at least 3 times a day, though.

Even though Margaret and Rick came by the 2nd of March, I'm including it here because it all has to do with my knee anyway. They just got home from their mission in the Philippines and are heading out to Utah where they have bought a house and are going to live from now on. It was good to see them and we'll miss them. But I can't blame them because they don't have kids here any more so there is nothing to keep them here. They need to go where their kids are. How thankful we are to have so many of our children so close to us. And the three that are far away still keep in touch. We love you all so much and are so thankful for each of you and for your beautiful children. By the way, I am doing well, thanks to Dad, and am recovering at maximum speed. I hope to be able to go to church day after tomorrow, even if it is at 3:00!

And in conclusion, in case you haven't already seen it on Thomas and Jenn's post, the most heart-rending photo of the month...one that will make you smile. Poor Hyrum, always happy Hyrum...too sick and too tired, fell asleep at the toilet after throwing up. Looks familiar doesn't it, all you parents of young kids and used-to-be-young kids?

8 comments:

Mary, Tyson and Family said...

wow mom you are CRAZY!!! I can't believe you bloggeed in your condition!!! I really do appreciate it though! Love your monthly posts!

Hey Devynne, if your considering E.A Elizabeth would be so excited and wants to know As soon as you decide! :) She keeps calling me asking if I know what your doing yet. ha ha

Mom & Dad said...

Mom mentioned my "new" favorite restaurant--El Pollo Loco. It's still not my favorite as in El Charro, but I like that you can get skinless chicken and steamed veggies. Mom has done her usual amazing job of posting. I don't know how she keeps track of all of that. I have to read the blog to know what I did last month. I guess that is why she is such a good journal keeper. This knee replacement has been a new experience for both of us. Not for the faint-of-heart for sure. She is making great progress. She promised to go walking with me, but only if I would go swimming with her--now that is sacrifice.

Connie and Daniel Biggs Family said...

It's great to see what everyone I up to. Sorry we can't be more of a support because we're far away. Albert is healing well. 11 year old boys are such fast growers that the bone seems to be mending fine. The break was all the way through and very obvious on the X-ray but he's toughing it out. If you didn't see the rescue you can watch it on YouTube. Search skiarizado and all of our videos will come up. In the midst of his pain he was able to mutter 'I've got a story to tell now'. That's a typical 11 year old snow boarder. Much of the reason they board is for stories to tell being rescued is a badge of honor for these kids.

Mary, we've hardly had a minute with Devynne to talk about college. I was much more lazy as a senior in high school so can't relate. With her play and DECA she works very hard. For perspective, there were 3000 kids competing for state and that includes all the big schools
and prep schools. Only the top 3 percent go to Nationals and she and her partner received first place. She came home with the trophy and I told her I thought that shouldngo to the trophy case at school but she wasn't sure she wante to part with it. I figure that's the school's problem. We would love it if she chose either EAC or BYU but selfishly, I hope she goes to BYU because it's only 4 hours 30 minutes from here so we could have her closer to us.

Esther said...

Mom,
I look forward to your monthly overviews! I can't believe how well you are doing with your surgery. Dad is the best thing that ever happened to your knee. He is going to get you up in no time. I just have to say I was so glad to finally be here to help. I was so sick of being the sister who could only help over the phone. So thanks for letting me be apart of the process too.

Rachel, Tony & Family said...

oh my sweet Hyrum. poor baby!!

Thomas Jennifer Biggs said...

Rach- he was sick that whole day, than by the time we were headed to bed-he was ready to get up and go! We would get up while we were all sleeping and get a package of crackers, and some water, and just snack. By the time morning had come around he had finished a whole package of crackers, and all of his water.. that's Hyrum for you!

Thomas Jennifer Biggs said...

Don't worry about lying around mom, that is what all of us would do after knee surgery!
Well, I have never known such talented young people as in this family!!
Devynne- only in my dreams could I accomplish what you have.. amazing, Great job!! I think you would enjoy either EAC or BYU as great church schools.. one is just bigger than the other!
Shadrach- I did that play in school, I LOVE the Pirates of Penzance.. I wish I could have seen it.. so were you the Pirate KIng? (hurrah for the Pirate King!:)
Allison- you must Love coaching, that is the best! Again a scholarship to anywhere is only the stuff dreams are made of for me.. Great job! You should be proud and just go to the school that you want to find the boy your going to marry at!:)
DeWitt-I competed for Joel's FAME group in California also... Awesome experience! It must have been a great time for you! Way to go!!
Hannah-amazing, I could only wish to win a solo competion.. wow! Tayte- I can not believe how young you are to be getting such a great part in a play like Peter Pan... Great job!! Bri- sorry we could not be there for your birthday.. hope it was a great one!
We love you all, and wish you the best!

Stephanie and Joel Biggs said...

Its not Disney we its universal you know e.t men in black simpsons way better rides martigra festival and awsommmmmmmeeeeeee! (awsome) chhhhuuuuurrrroooosssssssss! (churros) From docker

AUGUST ~BAPTISM FOR THE DEAD ANNOUNCED BY JOSEPH SMITH

     One of the most precious doctrines of the Gospel is the doctrine of vicarious work for the dead.  August 15, 1840 is when Joseph Smi...