Monday, January 02, 2012

Anything-but-Dull-December


 December has been joyful, of course, as it always is, remembering the birth of our Savior and all the wonderful celebrating that goes along with the season.  Some of the best things about Christmas celebrations are the great family get-togethers, and we had our share, this year even including Thomas and Jenn's family.  I actually love everything about Christmas...the decorating, the music, the food, the presents, the family and ward parties, even the magical things; but I especially love the traditions that center our thoughts on the birth of Jesus Christ.  I love reading the Christmas story from the scriptures, the nativity pageants with the children, the presepios (nativity sculptures and figurines), my Mary and Joseph out on the lawn, the First Presidency broadcast, the Christmas hymns, all of the things that turn our minds to the real reason for Christmas. Even though we know that December is not the month of His birth, it never hurts to think of Him, and celebrating His birth in December gives us another day to focus on Him and all He has done for us.  Of course, we should be doing that every day, but having an occasion helps us to center our thoughts even more.  Some pretty special people really do have birthdays in December, though.  They are our special Christmas gifts.

DeWitt turned 18 on the 10th
Rachel's birthday was the 17th
Thomas Wyatt turned 6 on the 19th
Hyrum turned 4 on the 30th
The December weather was a little unpredictable.  The beginning of the month was relatively warm and sunny, just right for swimming and enjoying our heated pool.

Then it turned cold and windy and rainy and even snowy.  Yes, on Christmas Eve Eve, we got an excited call from Polly telling us to go outside and see the snow.  It was coming down in big, fat flakes and we had dreams of a white  Christmas, but it was not to be.  It just wasn't quite cold enough to stay.   But it was fun while it lasted.
Thomas and Jenn and their family, who had arrived right after Thanksgiving, were there for some of our Christmas preparations and activities.  Thomas helped Dad make yummy tamales.
And they were here for the Christmas light parade.  It was cold enough that night that they had to bundle up in hats and coats and scarves and gloves...not to mention hot chocolate.




On the first Sunday in December, Jared Thomas Richins was blessed and given his name by his father, Tyson.  Tyson was assisted, in the Thatcher 5th Ward, by Dad, Scott, Tony, Thomas, Tyson's Dad and Grandpa Richins, and his brothers, Matt, Corey and Skyler.  He barely fit into his little blessing outfit.  He was so small when he was born that we thought there would be no trouble, but, thankfully, he has been growing and consequently was bursting at the seams!
                 Mary and Tyson hosted a delicious dual-family brunch at their house after the blessing.

The next day, Dad went to Mesa to go to Hawaii with Joel, Jeremy and Levi.  They were putting on the huge 70th anniversary commemoration of the attack on Pearl Harbor.  We decided to go ahead, while Thomas and Jenn's family were here, and have our annual Polar Express party even without Dad.  Thomas and Jenn were planning to spend a week with her family in Mesa, then stop by here on their way back to Mexico, so we wanted to catch them while we could and have our party.  Little did we know how much things would change before the month was over, however.
In connection with the Polar Express party, we celebrated Thomas Wyatt's 6th and Hyrum's 4th birthdays.  We had pizza, and hot chocolate and birthday cake.  And we had a really snazzy pinata, courtesy of our Mexican kids.


In the meantime, Dad was enjoying his trip to Hawaii.  He kept mentioning that it was NOT a vacation, but hard work, and I don't doubt that, but you know the old saying, "It's a tough job, but somebody's got to do it!"  Right?  I'm sure he didn't absolutely love every minute of it!




It really was a huge deal.  They had bands representing the states of the ships that were sunk in Pearl Harbor by the Japanese, including Mountain View from Arizona, speeches and other things. They estimated that there were 50,000 spectators, and lots of news coverage...from the US and UK as well as Hawaii itself.  There were dignitaries who attended, including the governor of Hawaii, the mayor of Honolulu, Miss Hawaii, Senator Inue and especially the survivors of the bombing 70 years ago.  Most of them were in their 90's and so glad to participate in this event.
Some of the survivors
I don't know the correct order, but pictured here with Joel are the Governor of Hawaii, the mayor of Honolulu, a senator, I think, one of the speakers and Miss Hawaii.

Rachel was in charge of her ward's Christmas party and program.  Actually, both.  For her program, she had "picture a Christmas" as her theme and had stories and songs depicting the major participants in the Christmas story.  She asked me to write stories as if they were each telling telling their own version of what happened, like the angel, the shepherd, Joseph, Mary, the wiseman.  Isabel sang a solo, "Picture a Christmas" and it was very touching. Rachel decorated to the hilt, of course and it was sooo beautiful.  I should have taken more pictures so you could see the rest of the hall. The reason I didn't cut out that man in the corner is because I thought you might be interested. He is a Wilhelm, cousin to Vaughn and Kurt and the rest. He looks like it, doesn't he?  
The next night, on the 9th, we went to Brianna's play.  It was the community theater's production of 
101 Dalmations. Brianna was Dot.

The night after that, December 10th, was our ward party.  Dad and I were asked to narrate the Christmas story from the Scriptures for their nativity program.
DeWitt was out of town at a soccer tournament on his birthday, so his family celebrated on Sunday the 11th.  He was ordained an Elder by his dad on that day.  What a wonderful way to celebrate his 18th birthday!  Then they invited us to his birthday dinner. Of course it was elegant and delicious.



That night, we went to Mary and Tyson's to hear Brianna give Carson's talk.  He had to talk in Primary, but refused to do it, so Brianna spoke and Carson held up the visual aids.  Very effective.
The next night, Family Home Evening, we spent with Rachel and Tony's family.  They fed us a delicious Mexican food dinner and  Dad got to play golf on their Wii.  I was most impressed with Rylie's totally-from-scratch-gingerbread house. It took her all day to make it. Not surprising at all.


On the 15th, we had Rachel's sister-luncheon. I know, her birthday is the 17th, but that was the day of the Hiatt Christmas party, so we jumped Rachel's day up a couple of days.  She was a good sport about it, although, having a Christmas season birthday means that she gets bumped around fairly often.

That day was also Polly's game.  She has had a lot of games that I have had to miss because of Temple service, but this one happened to be on a Thursday, so I could attend. She is a dynamo on the court, and she gets to lead the team onto the floor every game...maybe because she's the cutest one, I don't know.
On Saturday, we went to the Hiatt Christmas party.  This year, they held it completely outside. Most of the time it was warm and pleasant.  It didn't start getting cold and windy until halfway through Santa's visit. Notice Thomas in the background...with his beard.
                                                           Marlie and Reygan...Jenn and Hyrum behind
The Nativity pageant.  See Soren on his knees as a wiseman? And Marlie was the donkey.  Thomas was a Shepherd, Kirtlyn and Maya were angels. I didn't see if Ellie or Hayden or  Crew or Bridger or Brody or Hyrum were participating. Actually, that looks like Bridger in the brown robe beside Soren.

                                Levi and Daynen dangled the Santa pinata from the roof.

                                                                 Whacking Santa




                                                                                ???

                                                              Ellie got Santa's boot

                                        Sitting on Santa's knee...What do you want for Christmas?
                                                                       Docker was first

                                                                        Crew
Kirtlyn
 Thomas
                                                                        Soren
                                                                        Ellie
                                                                           Brody
                                                                              Maya
                                                                              Hyrum
                                                          Waiting patiently
                                                                          Hayden
                                                                         Bridger
                                                                            Tayte
Maya and I have become friends during this trip.  
                                                            We had our Sunday ice-cream social when we got back to Safford. Thomas and Jenn's family came back when we did.  We found out that they had been informed that Thomas' student loans were going to be drastically reduced and he would be getting approximately 1/6th of what he had been getting.  So, Jenn and the kids are going to live with us for a while, so that he can finish up.  There will be added benefits, in that their kids can go to American schools and she will be here when her baby is born...yes that's right.  She will have a baby in August...maybe July if things go as they have for her last four babies.
 On Monday, the next day, Kirtlyn, Thomas, Hyrum and I went to Brianna's piano recital.  She played very well. I was amazed at how good she already is.  And I was amazed at how well-behaved the little boys were.  I told them before we went in that they could only do three things: sit, listen and smile.  They did very well. I was proud of them as I was of Brianna.
Maya has been fascinated by all the baby Jesus figurines I have around.  She especially loves the real Baby Jared, though.


On Tuesday, Kirtlyn and I went to watch Luke and Brynlie and Camille's school program.



Then on Thursday, she and Thomas and I joined Mary's family for Brianna's school program.

Reindeer
getting dressed for playing in the snow on Christmas Eve day.  Thomas and Rachel's families went, plus Lillian and Polly.



Christmas Eve.  We had our traditional pork chop-eggs-potatoes-bread-juice dinner.  It was fun, especially to have Allison there from college.
                                                         Notice that Thomas shaved for the occasion
                            We had a visit from Santa with presents for everyone, even DeWitt,who was taking care of some responsibilities, but Santa promised to deliver his gift personally.
                                                                             Hyrum
                                                                      Kirtlyn
                                                                        Camille
                                                                             Isabel
                                                                            Maya
                                                                          Thomas
                                                                              Rylie
                                                                            Brynlie
                                                                               Allison
                                                                          Luke
                                                                             Lillian
                                                                          Polly
                                                                     Santa groupies
                           For some reason, the Evans family wanted to pose with Santa
Thomas, Dad and I, watching the nativity pageant from our usual spot.
What a beautiful, if somewhat smaller than usual, group.  L-R: Thomas, Hyrum, Luke, Camille, Isabel, Polly, Kirtlyn, Brynlie, DeWitt, Maya
On Christmas morning, we attended Rebecca's ward because their Christmas program was the one I had written for Rachel's ward.  And, Allison was Mary.
On Christmas Day, we were invited by Rebecca and Scott to share their Christmas dinner.
     Then, on Monday, after Mary and Tyson got home from New Mexico, they invited us to have dinner and Family Home Evening with them.  Here is Jared in his Christmas present.  Finally, something fits!
We went to Mesa on Thursday, the 29th, to pick up the books on  Grandmother and Papa's life.  The books were in Mesa by Christmas, so Carolyn and Kim and Jill could get some for their families, and also, Esther and Joel and Jeremy.  I was very pleased with how nicely they turned out (except for some mistakes I found when I was reading it..it doesn't seem to matter how many times I proof-read, I still find mistakes after it is published!)  I will send Nathan's and Daniel's as soon as possible.
While we were there, we went to visit Grandma and Grandpa.  Thomas and Jenn came with us.  We also had the chance to see Grandma's sisters and their husbands.  This is a priceless picture of the last of the Van and Vida Brinton children.  L-R: Ruth, Rudge, Milo LeBaron, Bud Whipple, Virginia Whipple, Donna LeBaron.

  After our visit to Grandma and Grandpa, we went to the office to pick up the books.  That box on the side is full of books.  There were six boxes all together! See the books on the table? After I got all the books, I went by and signed Esther's books for her children because she had taken them for Christmas as I had told her to.  Joel took his, too, so I need to go by his house the next time we are there and sign his books.
Here is Dad, holding the finished book about the lives of his parents.
On our way home from Mesa, we stopped by the mall to eat lunch and saw Joel and Crew and Jeremy and Hayden.  They had taken their boys to work with them and then to lunch.
Our missionaries:  Both Dallin's and Stetson's families were treated to Christmas calls from their missionaries.  Even though Dallin's call was cut short (only 37 minutes) they felt very good about the call because he sounded so well and happy.  They each got to speak to him, so they were satisfied.  Stetson's call was the day after Christmas, and he was able to talk longer.  It's a good thing, I don't think Stephanie could have handled 37 minutes.  As it was, I think she had a hard time saying "good-bye" anyway. He also is well and happy. Here is a picture of Stet and his companion on skype.  I don't have one of Dallin.
I just got some pics from Rebecca (January  3) so I'm adding to the blog what Dallin did for Christmas

I think Dallin must be the Angel Gabriel


News from around the family: Thanks to all who sent me pictures.
Hannah participated in a very exclusive choir program.  She is in the top choirs as a sophomore!
Her proud family
I hope he brings Bethany whatever she asks for!
Christmas morning in Nebraska
                                 The Evanses basically have a pajama party for Christmas

At Joel and Stephanie's "Elf" party


I could hardly believe this...after all her work!!!

Because it is our off year, the Browns and the Richins spent Christmas with their other families.  Here are the Brown kids in Eagar





Devynne in SLC, enjoying the Temple lights
                                           Christmas in Colorado




The Richins family in New Mexico

Whew!!! Just rereading this blog makes me out of breath! Every day was full of something, and that doesn't even include the two days a week of Temple service, home and visiting teaching, my Relief Society lesson, the talks we gave in Scott's Branch this month and in our ward on Christmas Day, making and taking goodies to neighbors and friends, and so on...and...so forth. It is so much better to have too much to do than to have too little to do.  Isn't that right?  It's a good thing I feel that way because it doesn't look as if 2012 is going to slow down at all.
I pray that 2012 will bring joy to your families and peace to your hearts.  And, of course, we know that the only way that can happen is if you hold your families close and keep your hearts turned to the Savior.
Have a happy, healthy, peaceful, joyous new year.  We love you all more than we can possibly say.
Dad and Mom

7 comments:

Mom & Dad said...

Mom has done it again. I don't understand how she keeps track of it all, but she does an amazing job. I do know when she is working on the blog though because my computer slows down to "creepy crawly" speed. But, it's worth it. It brings back great memories. I'm grateful she took on the project for writing Mother and Dad's book. I'm confident she was helped by them. Mother was just starting to work on her history when she died. Dad had written a page and a half history as a High Priest's Quroum project many years ago--that was included in the book. Each of you has a great heritage on both sides of your family. Mom is right that if you will remember the Savior always and learn to feel how he speaks to you you will never go wrong. It's all part of your life-long learning process. Thank you for who you are. We are very blessed.
Dad

Esther said...

Mom, first of all, I love the picture of you and Maya!!! You look so pretty. Congrats to Jenn, I had no idea and Thomas too. And I really enjoyed reading the "Biggs" book. I cherish these books Mom and cannot thank you enough for writing them and telling us the story of where we come from. Thank you.

Connie and Daniel Biggs Family said...

Grandma, I love this blog so very much! It makes me feel so much closer to the whole family. I love you and I will be forever grateful for your sacrifice to documenting our family history... when do I get to see one of those "Biggs" books. :) I love you Grandpa and Grandma and all of the Biggs!

Devynne

Mary, Tyson and Family said...

Love the blog mom! crazy fun year!

Evans Family said...

WOW!! mom what an amazing blog, and what an amazing year. You do such a wonderful job getting in all of the details, and keeping us all informed. I love it. I love it. Thanks so much, it's a joy to read!

Rachel, Tony & Family said...

Mom love all the pics, was hopen for a hot teenager picture for my "bday pic" this year but...:)
I agree with Esther that one of you and Maya is so pretty!! I appreciate all the work you do on these blogs and those books all fun to read and look at.

Thomas Jennifer Biggs said...

Lots of surprises for us this year, but my favorite moment was when Santa left before Hyrum got to say good-bye, and he was So sad! He know it was Santa, but he said to Santa, "You know, you sound like DeWitt!" Way to Believe Hyrum, way to believe!

AUGUST ~BAPTISM FOR THE DEAD ANNOUNCED BY JOSEPH SMITH

     One of the most precious doctrines of the Gospel is the doctrine of vicarious work for the dead.  August 15, 1840 is when Joseph Smi...