Monday, April 02, 2012

March 2012

 March was a wonderful month, full of great activities, Spring break, Thomas coming home, concerts, proms the start of General Conference, which doesn't happen very often in March, and special birthdays, including Bridger's baptism. We have so many birthdays in March we have to save up for it like  Christmas!  March has also been a month of weather extremes, from warm and balmy to cold and snowy.
Our super birthday stars for this month are:
Soren who turned 4 on the 7th

Esther on the 8th...since I am doing "Childhood Memories" books for birthdays this year, I thought it would be fun to put a childhood picture for each of my babies when their birthday month comes up.
Jennifer on the 14th

Crew, who turned 10 on the 19th

Shauna on the 22nd

Daniel on the 26th (see Esther's explanation)

Emma who turned 6 on the 29th

Levi, who turned 18 on the 31st

And Grandma Hiatt who turned 88 on the 31st.  (She and Levi are 70 years apart, exactly.  He was her 7th great grandchild, and he was born on her 70th birthday.  How many great grandchildren do you think I will have in 3 1/2 years?)

Dr. Seuss' birthday was the 2nd of March, (Nancy's birthday, by the way) and everyone celebrated with green eggs and ham.
March also signals the beginning of tennis season.  DeWitt and Lillian are busy burning up the tennis courts already.

There was a Safford Stake Women's Conference on the 3rd, to which Rebecca, Rachel and Jenn and I went.  Here they are, saving me a place in the food line, with Jill Emery (Clay's wife) and Janell McBride.

Soren celebrated a "Spiderman" birthday on the 7th.  Everything was Spidermanish, even his cupcakes.



We went to Mesa to attend Bridger's baptism, so we were there to have a sisters' lunch for Esther's birthday, albeit a day late. Erika was in Orlando with Jeremy and Steph didn't feel well, so it was just Rachel and Rylie and me and our respective husbands (except Rylie's, of course) enjoying El Charro in Esther's behalf.  Oh, by the way, on Esther's very birthday, I got to take a sweet Brazilian girl through the Temple for the first time, in Portuguese.  What a special experience that was.

After lunch, we went to Grandma and Grandpa's
We took Bridger to get his CTR ring and a green milkshake afterwards.
Bridger was baptized on the 10th in a Stake baptism, but he and one other girl were the only ones from their ward, so it was still very personal.

The fabulous CTR cake his aunt made. Connie, I thought you would enjoy seeing this. I took this picture especially for you.
The Brown family
All of the Biggs family who could come.
Dad and Bridger having a heart-to-heart talk about how to listen to the promptings of the Holy Ghost, since he had just received that important gift.

So, if you are wondering why I included this pic, just look carefully at the license plate to see where the car was purchased.
After his family's special weekend, Harrison had an uncomfortable surgery to look forward to.  He had his adenoids removed and tubes put in his ears.

Jennifer's birthday was the 14th, so we had a sisters' lunch in her honor. It was nice to have her here so we could.
Brianna dressed up for her school's "favorite character" day. Guess who she is. Can you figure out how Mary did her hair that way?
One of the things I love about Spring is that it is Spring Concert time.  Kirtlyn and I saw the middle school concert with Rylie and Polly in it and the high school concert with DeWitt.  I was a little bit surprised and pleased at what good dancers Polly and Rylie are.  Polly was near the front of the group and really rocked out.  Rylie is in the girls' quartet! She is so good.  She sang a solo as part of her quartet performance, and DeWitt sang a solo in the high school concert.  I figured he would sing well or they wouldn't have let him have a solo, but I have to say that he was very good. I'm going to try to include video, but I don't know if I have enough room on blogspot.com to do it.

St. Patrick's Day signaled the beginning of Spring Break for the Safford kids. Unfortunately, it wasn't the same week for their Mesa cousins, but that didn't stop them from going to Mesa to enjoy the break from school anyway.  Mary and Tyson went for Tyson's sister's wedding and visited with family while they were there. She and Esther and their kids found the Leprechaun's treasure.  Notice the footprints on the toilet...the first clue that he had been there.


Jenn's mother's father is Irish, so she is really the only one of us who celebrates ST. Patrick's Day legally.  Her family always has a big green feast on that day, so she was glad to be around this year and be able to participate.  They also went to see "We Bought a Zoo."

Here at home, we ate corned beef hash and cabbage salad at Rachel and Tony's house. It was absolutely delicious. Almost made us feel Irish!
afterwards, we danced the Wii with them


Rebecca's family had an early-morning St. Patrick's Day breakfast outside by their pavilion fireplace. Tough life, huh?

Here are Josh and Nicole all dressed out in their St. Patrick's day green, on their way to Rebecca and Scotts for a party.


Crew celebrated his 10th birthday by becoming a Webelos Scout.  I think this trip to a Suns game was a birthday present too.

Is this the back of Crew's head?

This month has, for the most part, been so warm and balmy, and Dad has enjoyed mowing the lawns with his John Deere...but, on Monday March 19th, actually, the official beginning of Spring Break, we had a spring surprise...SNOW! I wrote this poem in St. Johns where springtime snow was not uncommon.  I never thought I would have occasion to use it in Safford!
The Snow’s Spring Song
(With apologies to Robert Lewis Stevenson)

                           Snow is falling all around
                           On the housetops, on the ground;
                           On the berries, on the trees,
                           On the blossoms, on the bees.

                           It falls on pansies, vainly trying
                           To hide their heads to keep from dying.
                           It deliberately covers every flower
                           As if to demonstrate its power.

                           It sings this song to foolish man.
                           “Try to stop me, if you can.
                           I’d like to see you vainly sow
                           And nurture seeds  til they start to grow.

                           Then, when the trees are all a-blossom,
                           You’ll find I was only playing possum.
                           That is just what I’m waiting   for,
                           So go in your house and shut the door.

                           Sit by the fire and try not to fret,
                           Because like it or not, I’m not through yet!”
                           This is what the snow will say
                           Whenever it falls on the first of May (March).



It was so funny to watch it falling all over the beautiful tulips and daffodils. But here, in town, it melted as fast as it fell.  That didn't stop Lillian and Polly from going outside and enjoying it though.
There was a little more snow on the ground at Mary's house in Dayley Estates, as you can see, but at Rachel's house in Artesia, there was a lot of snow, enough to make a snowman even!





The next day was warm again, well, warmER, I should say, enough, anyway that I swam and that Rachel's kids got brave enough to swim too.  Dad made a fire that day and we all rushed into the house and stood by the fire to warm up.  I guess that day wasn't warm enough to swim after all.

Josh went to Mesa for Spring Break, to spend some time with Nicole's family.  He stayed in the condo, along with Rebecca's family who also went to Mesa.  They went to the Renaissance Festival. 
Rachel's family also spent a few days in Mesa during the week.  They went to see "The Lorax" along with Esther's and Jeremy's kids.  Jeremy and Erika were gone, so Daynen, who DRIVES, brought them.
They also enjoyed eating at Joe's Farm Grill.
That next weekend, Dad and I drove to Cotton City to attend the wedding reception of Tyson's sister.  Mary was in charge of the decorations and even though she was sick as a dog...a sick dog...she did a beautiful job.  She also did all the photography and flowers.  Her sisters and sisters-in-law helped too.


The 26th was Daniel's birthday.  Look what he got!!! That looks like his deck, so I'll bet that's a real picture of perfectly roasted chickens, not an advertisement photo.

When everyone else went home to go back to school, Dad and I took a week's vacation to Mesa. The Temple was closed for maintenance, so we took advantage of it and went to a couple of movies, ate at the El Charro and visited with the Mesa kids.  While we were there, I had a chance to help Docker and Harrison with some school assignments. Docker was doing a report on Argentina and Harrison on the Dominican Republic.  I also went to see Karl's laser lady, who burned 13 sunspots off of my face.  So the whole time we were there, my face was peppered with black dots.  I looked as if I had leprosy.  I wore a lot of makeup whenever we would be seeing people, though. We were at the condo for a few days before we saw this mass right directly above our front door...a beehive!  We called an exterminator and soon all we had were dead bees.  It was surely there while the other kids were staying at the condo, but no one noticed it, I guess, and no one was stung.



Dad and I saw "War Horse" and "Hunger Games" while we were there.  One for him and one for me. We ate at Red Lobster, El Charro, and had lunch at Buco de Beppo's with Joel and Steph and boys. We told them it was Levi's birthday, so they sang to him.  Levi's friend, Zack's expression says it all. Levi was going to be camping on his birthday, the 31st, so we figured it was all right to celebrate it early.
We ate lunch at  Dad's 2nd favorite restaurant, El Pollo Loco, with Esther, who had just gone with Dad to Cosco, and her boys, and with Steph, who had just taken me around to look at model homes.  I have had a little sting by the home-building bug...better than by a bee, right? So, Steph was showing me around some lovely homes.


We went to visit Jeremy's family on Friday night. Mike entertained us with his repertoire of tricks.



Grandma Hiatt turned 88 on March 31st, and since it was General Conference weekend, the girls decided to have a "birthday weekend" instead of just a birth day.  She would rather have people visit a few at a time than everyone at once when she can't hear anyone, so we visited her on Friday. We got there just as her sisters, Virginia and Donna and their husbands, got there. It was nice to visit everyone. Nancy, Lisa and Jan were also there. I understand that Karen came right after we left. (Oh my goodness, I never realized just how much we all look alike.) Grandma really appreciated all of you who sent cards, called, e-mailed and visited.


Joel had to go to Orlando, so he and Steph and boys visited early.
After our visit with Grandma and Grandpa, we headed back to Safford.  Thomas had just flown in from Mexico and Jenn went to Mesa to pick him up. He had a friend with him, whose wife lives in Thatcher and was waiting on pins and needles with the Elders' Quorum who had come to move them, so he had to go straight there. Hopefully, he'll have time to visit G&G on the way back to the airport.  It was so good to see him when we got home that night.  I wondered if Maya would feel uncomfortable around him at first, but it didn't take long for her to warm right up to her Daddy.
It was nice to have Thomas home for conference.  Esther and her family came too, so we really had a full house, but it was good.  Actually, Esther and Shad and kids stayed at Rachel's house but they came here to watch some of the Conference sessions and play with cousins.
Hyrum has the right idea about conference bingo.  He just puts M&M's on every square and when he gets his card full, he eats them.  It takes about 15 seconds.

I put in all these pictures so you can see how absorbed everyone was with Conference.


After the Saturday morning session, all the kids went swimming.  It was so warm and pleasant.


Handsome Priesthood holders-Joshua had gone to take Nicole home (she was watching conference at our house) but he sat right in front of them at Priesthood meeting.
We ordered Mexican food, which the boys ate after Priesthood meeting.
Then to top off a night of spiritual feasting, we played Mafia!


Lincoln Hiatt drove up from Mexico with Danielle Hunt Curtis' husband and father and brought boxes of things, toys and clothes, that Jenn and the kids had left in Mexico, not realizing that they were going to be staying here.  He got here Saturday night. When the kids opened the boxes, it was just like Christmas! Lincoln stayed with us that night and we got to visit with him a little before he left to go to Snowflake the next morning.

On Sunday, after both sessions of Conference, a turkey dinner, an awards ceremony put on by Marlie, Polly, Isabel and Harrison, and a dip in Grandma's treasure box, the weekend came to a close.  Esther and Shad's family piled into their brand new van...exactly like their old one...only new...and went back to Gilbert.  Rebecca's, Rachel's and Mary's families all went home and it was finally, just us and Thomas and Jenn and Kirtlyn and Thomas Wyatt and Hyrum and Maya and Joshua. The house seemed practically empty!




More News From Around the  Family:
On the 29th of March, Emma celebrated her 6th birthday with a butterfly theme.
Shannyn, Analynn and Emma at a restaurant, supposedly for Emma's birthday?


Jenn was called to be a Primary  teacher in the Safford 5th Ward. Kirtlyn's class. I guess that means they are now officially Norteamericanos.
Bridger won an award at his ward's Pinewood Derby. "The Best Detail" I think.
Fame Chicago
When Joel and Jeremy went to Orlando, they took Levi and friends.  It was their Spring break. They had a lot of fun at Disney World, but they had to work for their fun by helping to put on the show.

While we were gone to Mesa, Polly went behind my back and cut off her beautiful long hair.  It's a good thing it looks so cute, that's all I have to say.

Speaking of Evanses, Allison had a tennis tournament in San Francisco this month.  It rained the whole week they were there! So even though she didn't get to play any tennis, she did get the opportunity to see a few sights in San Francisco...in the rain.
March was prom month for DeWitt and Hannah. I think this is a prom picture.  Now I'm not so sure. Notice the formal attire, and footwear. 
Hannah's prom is a special situation.  She had been asked to the prom several weeks ago, but when she realized the boy who asked her expected it to be the beginning of a romantic relationship, she told him it just wasn't going to happen.  He then disinvited her.  She already had a lovely dress, so Hannah decided she was just going to go anyway, with friends, and have a good time without that clueless boy. She looked so beautiful. I hope he saw her and ate his heart out.  Yes, I am merciless with people who hurt my babies. Later: Ok. I just got the straight scoop. Hannah disinvited HIM when she realized what his intentions were! And...he also went to the dance without a date, hoping to hook up with her.  I don't know how that turned out, but knowing Hannah, I think she stayed strong.
March was also the month of Hannah's musical production at school. Bethany, the ever supportive sister, congratulating Hannah. They both are such beautiful girls. Bethany is seriously thinking about coming here next semester for school. In fact, I heard a rumor that she and Nathan will come some time in April to check out EAC.
I think Nathan and Shauna celebrated her birthday with dinner and a concert in Lincoln.  Josh told me that they went, but I'm not sure when or whose concert. I think it was someone Shauna really likes, though.
Daniel's boys all got new suits for Daniel's birthday.  When I saw this picture, I thought, immediately, that they looked like handsome missionaries. They do, don't they? I think maybe they were all dressed up, ready to go to Priesthood Meeting.

Our Missionaries. 
Dallin has been transferred again this month.  He is going to Centenario and will have a Latino companion.  Stetson is still in Mendoza and they are both doing well.  They both wrote that they enjoyed listening to General Conference, and we can tell by their letters that the talks touched their hearts. This picture is of a group of youth who came to say "Good bye" to Stetson when he left San Juan.
Finally, on a sad note, Nadine Kellis, the wife of Dad's Uncle  Raymond Kellis, died on the 29th of March.
April will begin with the very same thing March ended with...General Conference.  Remind me to tell about Rylie's April Fool's joke on Rachel.

4 comments:

Rachel, Tony & Family said...

wow Mom that was a big one! loved seeing everybody. Great Blog, fun times! :)

Mom & Dad said...

Great job again. The only way she knows some of you look at this is when you call and ask her to make corrections. I guess that's ok though since this will end up in the family book and will be read by your posterity 100 years from now. I wonder what they will think of us

Stephanie and Joel Biggs said...

The picture of the BIGGS jersey is Docker. Even when he thinks he is safe from the blog pictures, he still gets one in! Ha Ha Thanks for keeping everyone updated!

Connie and Daniel Biggs Family said...

Thanks Grandma! Sorry I am late reading it this month but I did! :) I love hearing about the family and i love you... what a month! :)

Devynne Biggs

AUGUST ~BAPTISM FOR THE DEAD ANNOUNCED BY JOSEPH SMITH

     One of the most precious doctrines of the Gospel is the doctrine of vicarious work for the dead.  August 15, 1840 is when Joseph Smi...