We have really enjoyed all our April adventures. We loved General Conference, which is always one of our favorite April adventures. This year we were in Branson, watching Hannah's choir compete in the show choir competition. We also got to spend a little time with Daynen, who, along with his friend, Bert's son, was doing the filming. Joel had Dad doing some technical stuff, helping Daynen, I think, and I folded t-shirts and otherwise just camped on a row in the center section and enjoyed the show. Anyway, we missed conference, so we watched it on our iPads. Oh, how each speaker spoke to me. Especially, Elder Holland. I loved how he told me to stop worrying about how little faith I have and to have faith in my faith, and build on that with the Lord's help. "Help thou mine unbelief." Every conference time it seems I need the spiritual nourishment I receive from the messages from our leaders. We also had stake conference, which always involves Rachel in feeding the stake leaders, their wives and visiting authorities as well as Temple and mission presidencies and wives. Quite a huge production. She is always so glad that her siblings are willing to help. This time stake conference also included a talk by Rebecca. She did a great job. April is also the time Dad gets the itch to work in his garden. And, of course, April is the month of the birthdays of some pretty wonderful people.
Dallin turned 21 on the 8th
Erika's birthday was the 11th
Scott's birthday was the 12th
Kirtlyn turned 9 on the 13th
Tayte turned 13...a teenager...on the 19th
Dad is loving the beautiful planting weather we have been having. He has made a garden by the back wall...with Jared's help
and Polly's. They planted corn behind the tomatoes.
Here, Dad and Scott, with input from Thomas, Rebecca and Lillian, are figuring how to put in a retaining wall around his tomatoes and corn. He planted okra, spinach, squash and cucumbers in his side-yard garden this year.
Of course, we have flowers
All this agricultural activity and finding Hyrum in the apple tree reminds me of the song I used to sing to you when you were kids: "I climbed up the apple tree to see just what there was to see. I looked down on Grandpa's farm, all laid out in patchwork charm."
When we went to Branson, we flew out of Mesa to Springfield. It was so nice not to have to drive all the way from Kansas City. Chris Meeker was on the plane with us and he recommended Lambert's Cafe in Springfield...the home of the thrown rolls. I didn't realize how literal that phrase was!
Here is Chris, holding out his hand for a fresh, hot roll that the waiter was throwing around the room.
The night we arrived, we went to see a Branson show. It was "SIX." I had never heard of it but it was the same kind of show that the group, Eclipse, did in Safford a couple of months ago...a cappella men's voices with their own voice-accompaniements. No instruments at all. It was amazing. But the most amazing part is what happened afterwards.
When the show was over, they flashed a screen showing their names and I saw "Knudsen" was their last name. The wife of one of the singers was selling t-shirts at the front of the theater, so I went up to ask her if they were related to Jenn's family in Arizona. She was trying to deal with a line of customers, but politely told me that although she didn't know a lot about her husband's family, they did have relatives in Arizona. (Later, I texted Jenn and she said they are related to her. Their father is her grandfather's brother.) Anyway, between customers, who were getting a little antsy about this woman distracting her, she said she had an aunt and uncle who lived in Arizona. "Oh, where?" I asked, not really thinking I would actually know them. "In Mesa," she said. Well, Mesa is a big place and I have not lived there for over 40 years, but you know, I just had to ask, "What are their names?" "Lisa and Deon Caddy!" she said. "No way!" I screamed. The people behind me were looking at me in a weird way. "Lisa is my sister!" I mean how many Lisa and Deon Caddys can there possibly be in the whole world, let alone Mesa, Arizona? By this time she completely ignored her customers and we grabbed each other and danced around and laughed and cried. You'd think we were long lost sisters ourselves.
We got Deon on the phone...we couldn't reach Lisa... and he probably thought we were nuts because we were laughing so much. She is Cathy Withy's daughter. You know the story I always tell about Deon's sister, Cathy Caddy, who could hardly wait to get married so she would no longer have the tongue-twister name of "Cathy Caddy?" Then she married a man named "Withy" so she is now Cathy Withy. Well, this is her daughter.
After all the fans had left the theater, we stayed and had our picture taken with the group. One is missing, I don't know why.
This is the resort complex in which we stayed. Joel really set us up with a nice place. Notice the cool, red rental car in the foreground.
Our suite
The day before the competition, when they were setting everything up, Lori decided she didn't like the way the t-shirts had been folded by the person who boxed them up at the last show, so we refolded all the t-shirts so they would fit on the shelves better. That was my contribution to the event. Dad, on the other hand, helped a lot. He helped Daynen, who drove all the way with his friend, Neal. He was there to take pictures. Neal is Bert's son. They were so responsible and mature. I was impressed with these two 17-year-old boys.
That night, we went to the Outback for dinner. I made Dad pose by the alligator in the entry.
The day of the big show, Hannah's group came all dressed in their show choir outfits. Here she is, posed with her best choir friend, as she called him...not her boyfriend. He is also in the choir, but we didn't meet him.
I sat in front when they were performing, but couldn't get really good pictures. Just take my word for it, they were a very good choir. And, of course, Hannah was the prettiest and most graceful.
The next week was Brianna's school program, grandparents day type thing. She was a crocodile. I don't know if you can tell from the blurry pictures, but she was the most enthusiastic in her singing. She really feels the music and is very exuberant in her actions.
Carson's kindergarten program. He absolutely refused to be a pink pig! See? Even the other boy pigs had pink ears. Not Carson.
Kirtlyn's 9th birthday was the 13th, and she had her cousins and a friend from school
over to help her celebrate.
Our lilly always blooms on her birthday, or around it, so I took a picture of her with it. She was able to hold one last year when they took her baptism pictures.
Another special birthday this month is my friend, Una Mae Larson's. She is 90, and her family had a special reception for her in Central and invited Dad and me. She is the one we take to church every Sunday. Dad will receive special blessings, I believe, for lifting her wheelchair in and out of the trunk twice each Sunday just so she can go to church.
April is tennis month. Allison happened to be home to watch Lillian play her last match before state. I got to watch it too. I can't believe how fast the season has gone. It was over before I even realized it had begun!
I only got to see one of Isabel's track meets too. Oh well. I hope they know I love them more that the number of times I get to their things. Of course that goes double for the out of-town grandkids.
We had a very nice lunch with Allison before she had to go back to Idaho. Josh was there (Nicole was in Mesa) and Grandma Sherry came too.
On Saturday, the 20th, Rachel had to put on her famous dinner for the stake presidency, dignitaries, stake workers who were released and the wives of everyone. This time about 30 people, I think. Everyone really looks forward to it and it gets talked about for months, until the next conference. President Layton, of the Gila Valley Temple, said he was told to be sure not to miss the dinner because it would be spectacular. He is new and this is his first one. He said he is glad he came because it was. Tony grilled chicken right at the stake center and they had all kinds of wonderful things to go with it. Rachel really appreciated all the help from Mary and Thomas...and Jenn who came and helped clean up. Oh, I guess, me, too, for doing the center pieces.
Anyway, Rachel left before it was all clean because she wanted to get to the stake center to hear Rebecca speak. She and the other auxiliary presidents were going to be put on the spot by the Area Authority, Elder Jim Wright, and be asked to comment on certain possible scenarios, using doctrines and principles of the Gospel in their responses. It was very stressful to Rebecca, but I have to say she did a wonderful job. Elder Wright, who, by the way, lives in Grandma Hiatt's neighborhood (it's his brother who lives across the street) was impressed with both our Safford daughters and complimented us on them.
Menu:
Some of the nieces came to help, too, but when it got to be a "how shall we do Lillian's hair for the prom" situation, she shooed them all out.
Rylie did her hair that night and it was lovely.
On the 22nd, we had a star party. Mary had read that there was going to be a meteor shower that night and so she got us all together for a party. We had hair cutting, swimming, hot dogs on the grill and homemade ice cream all before it got dark enough to see stars. Then when it was dark we couldn't see very many stars because there was a light cloud cover and the moon was very bright. Dad got his binoculars and let the kids look at the moon through them. They were impressed with that much.
Swimming suits and pajamas
Dad was explaining constellations to the boys. Luke signed it off for his Bear award.
Kirtlyn and Brianna
Lindsay, Camille and Brynlie
We went to Mesa on Thursday, the 25th and Esther's little boys stayed with me for a couple of hours while she went to lunch with her trailer-mates from her EAC days. The weather was perfect for a visit to the condo playground.
On the 27th, the Hiatt girls gathered at the cabin for a slumber-party getaway. Esther was the only one able to go with me, but we had a really good time. Emily got it all together and Roma Lee came with Holly, Wendy, Danielle, and Anjane. Jan came with Emily, Melissa, Cynthia and Andrea and her baby. Lisa was there with Sarah, her new baby, Betsy and Jenni. Diana was at BYU graduation, but Brea came. Karen came with Michelle and Summer. Nancy was there with Trisha, Amy and Kristen. And of course, Esther and I were there.
We played games, ate, had a massage demonstration and most of all, visited. Emily even posted on facebook that what is said in Pine stays in Pine. Actually, we didn't talk about husbands or kids, just about girl stuff like pregnancy, adoption, menopause, hair, makeup, etc. etc. an infinitum.
While I was gone, Rylie had a choir concert. Sister Crockett came up and complimented her on what a good job she did.
We concluded the month with a special Temple sealing. Dusti, formerly Dad's employee at the bank, and her husband, joined the Church last year. They were sealed on the last day of April, along with their four beautiful children. They asked Dad to perform the sealing, and he did such a wonderful job, I really was touched by the Spirit that was present in that sealing room. Tyson, who also worked with Dusti, and Scott and Rebecca came. Rebecca and Scott stayed after for a little while to help us do sealings, some of which were your ancient family members. What a nice way to end the month.
NEWS FROM AROUND THE FAMILY
Hannah caught her parents exercising and posted it on Instagram. I stole it from there. Nathan said "I guess I'm going to have to check out Instagram more often." I don't think they were very happy about being caught unaware, but I think they should be proud of exercising at all!
Hannah and her friend holding their award disc from the show choir festival. He obviously doesn't know how to do the "cover girl smile" like Hannah does.
Crew, getting his Arrow of Light~way to go, Crew!
Docker and Crew on the Fathers and Sons' outing
Joel with the Bretts. One of them, maybe more, I don't know...emceed the national championships in Chicago.
Joel and Jeremy in Chicago for the National championships
Crew did a report on Alabama...his favorite state because of their space program.
Emma had a double hernia repair! Poor Emma. She was very brave, though and came through it well.
Springtime in the Rockies...Daniel and Connie's side yard!
Lillian went to the state tennis tournament. Too bad she couldn't use that racquet!
April was prom for Safford High School. Here are Lillian and her friends on their day date...and later, all cleaned up for pictures.
She wore Mary's prom dress. Allison wore it one year, too. I didn't realize when I made it for Mary that it would end up being the most popular one of all the dresses.
Rebecca and Rachel couldn't go to Pine with Esther and me because they were doing the Safford Stake Youth Conference. Here are some of the youth, including Lillian and Rylie, in their t-shirts, designed by Rachel and Thomas. Their theme was "Stand ye in holy places." The shirt simply says "STAND." Rebecca said the youth conference was a big success.
Here are Daynen and Neal (Bert's son) in Branson.
Erika is graduating from ASU next month, and they sent out announcements and pictures. I loved this one of the family rejoicing for their mom.
Ellie will turn 8 next month and have her baptism on May 11th. I loved this picture of her that was on her announcement. I think Daynen took it. I'm not sure.
Tony and Luke went to a Diamondbacks' game. It was a Big O award for kids from certain schools who excelled in academics and citizenship.
Rachel and Tony with Elder Jim Wright after the conference dinner
Getting ready for church...4 girls in one bathroom!!
Rylie got her learner's permit. She's a good driver already! I let her drive with me one day, so I know.
Tony, receiving a Big O award at their national convention, held, this year in Phoenix.
Luke, at the pack meeting where he received his Bear Award...already a leader.
Esther's kids, taking advantage of the warm weather to sell lemonade.
Esther with her trailor-mates at their annual luncheon.
Harrison received his STAR Scout rank. He's well on his way to Eagle!
Maya and her boyfriend, Lane Layton. His dad is Clint Layton. He is three and she is two. They are all but inseparable. He lives next door. In fact, he comes over at all hours of the day and night, ringing the bell, if the doors are locked, and asking for Maya...I kid you not...2:30 a.m., 6:00 a.m. His parents are so embarrassed. He sneaks out of his house, and you can tell when he sees his parents coming after him because he rings furiously, ding ding ding ding ding.
Jared helped Grandpa get the ground ready to plant tomatoes.
I don't think he got so messy helping Grandpa. I recognize those handprints, not to mention the face...chocolate!
Little Lindsay was so sick this month. She had pnuemonia and had to have breathing treatments four times a day.
OUR COLLEGE STUDENTS
Erika's graduation announcement. We are so proud of her. What an accomplishment!
Josh and Nicole visited with Grandma and Grandpa Hiatt when they were in Mesa this month.
Nicole in her amazing "Amazing Spiderman" makeup for theater class. Doesn't she look gorgeous? They are going to head out to Nebraska as soon as they finish with EAC graduation on the 10th of May. We'll miss them.
Josh got a classic "scoop wound." I coined that phrase when Daniel, at 3 years old, slid down the windshield of our car and scooped out a chunk of flesh from his leg with the windshield wiper. Well, Josh did it with a potato peeler. It was very deep and bled like crazy...he must have been very enthusiastic about peeling potatoes...but they couldn't sew it back together, so they just wrapped it and gave him a tetanus shot.
Their graduation announcement~How fun to have a dual announcement. Good job, kids!
Bethany and Palmer have been taking engagement pictures and getting things ready to set up housekeeping...like a dining room table.
Devynne's special friend, Brock Bennion, second from left, along with his friends, won a $100,000 award for developing a chemical that can accelerate the decomposition of plastics in dumps and landfills.
Allison was home for a week, enjoying beautiful spring weather and got to be here to help Lillian get ready for prom and even take her prom pictures. When she went back to Rexburg, she had a snow storm!
OUR MISSIONARIES
Argentina...someday
p-day, hiking Ensign peak
What??? Girls???
DeWitt's Las Vegas companion in their apartment
Dallin's service project
Stetson's p-day adventures
A monkey got out of the cage!
SOMETHING TO MAKE YOU SMILE
Maya and Lane hiding in the playhouse. His mom was looking for him and so they ducked down thinking if they can't see her then she can't see them. They're 2 and 3 years old, for goodness sake!
So, that was April. What a month! May is looking busy already. I saw Dr. Jones for my annual checkup and she said it is time for me to have some lab work done because I haven't done it for a while. When she saw me frown, she said, "Are you afraid of the discomfort?" I said, "No, I just don't have the time!" I remember Grandma Brinton telling me that she was busier at that time in her life than she ever was when she had her young family all at home. I was in the middle of babies and diapers and busy church callings, and frankly didn't believe her...now I do. But we are busy in a good way. The things that occupy our days are the very things we prayed for every day when you were small: that you would have happy, busy families one day, all active in doing the things they should. And we are just thankful that you want us to participate when we can. We love you so much and appreciate all you do. See you in May!















5 comments:
Hey I beat Mary and Esther and all of the rest of you. That's not a good sign. That means you don't care or are too busy enjoying our posterity like we are. Mom is getting pretty good at this blog thing. now she spreads it out thru the whole month. She only stays up until eleven now rather than midnight. Great job!!!
Fath- I'm never to busy to enjoy and read the blog!! It's always something my whole family looks forward to reading at the beginning of each month!! Lots of things made me laugh...Brianna and her gettin down self as a dragon. Maya and her boy-friend hiding, and me having the same shirt on in EVERY SINGLE picture I'm in. Thank you Mom for putting in so much effort!! We appreciate all your hard work.
Oh it is a great adventure!! I am glad you all know how to enjoy life!!!
oh, the same shirt thing is funny Esther- Love it!!
The last two comments are Jenn by the way
Mom I always look forward to the blog too we were in it a lot this time. :) Bethany I'm dying to see all your engagement pics!! It's getn closer yay so exciting! l love to see all the pictures of the family, where er they be. Thanks for doing this ma your the best!!
Post a Comment