July is my favorite summer month. It has such dramatic desert weather and it always stirs my soul. I remember, as a child, loving the storms, the dusty rain smell, even the scary dust storms. It isn't as hot in July and all our fasting and prayers usually are finally answered with some cloud bursts, some lightening shows and some beautiful cloudy skies. July is also the month we pay tribute to the courageous founders of our nation and the courageous pioneers from whom you all descend. It is the month we pay tribute to the founder of our family...your dad...pretty courageous himself...and some other really great family members.
Dad turned 72 on the 16th
Jonathan turned 11 on the 22nd
I don't usually post the ages of the adults who have birthdays, but this one is a milestone year, and besides, he really looks great for 40, doesn't he? His birthday was the 23rd
Devynne turned 20 on the 30th
Maya turned 3 on the 31st
And Henry turned 1 on the 31st
The beginning of the month, before the storms moved in, was marked by a tragedy in the Yarnell fire, near Prescott. I took this photo from Darrel Biggs' Facebook. I don't know where he got it, but it looks as devastating as it surely was.
Soon, however, the monsoons began, bringing relief to the parched desert. This picture was taken on Mt. Graham by Lillian.
This wonderful picture of a storm on Mt. Graham was taken by Rachel from her house. The rain on the sidewalk, is from Rebecca, the rainbow over our playhouse (it was a full bow but she could only get half of it) is from Jenn, and the rainbow over the Temple is from Nicole Evans Lunt.
I took this picture as we were driving past the Temple from Mesa and I wanted to compare it to Nicole's picture above. See what I mean about dramatic weather?
We have some really good photographers in our family. These girls just went out to someone's field and took pictures of each other.
THE FOURTH OF JULY
We started the day with the Ward breakfast at 7:00 in the morning. We left immediately after breakfast and went to Mesa where we spent the day with the Mesa kids.
We had a cookout and fireworks at Joel's house with his and Jeremy's family.
Watching the fireworks from a safe distance.
The next night we went to the movie and saw The Lone Ranger. Daynen even got to go with us and not just sell us popcorn!
The Rachel and Tony Alder family's 4th. They spent part of the 4th weekend at the Alder cabin on the mountain and they watched the city fireworks from the roof of their house. The picture at the bottom is of Camille asleep with her hand in a cup of water. She had a rope burn on her hand.
The Daniel and Connie Biggs family's 4th. The girls prepared a special dinner for Devynne and Brock, plus a family picnic down by the river.
The Rebecca and Scott Evans family's 4th. Dallin and Scott made an asado.
The Nathan and Shauna Biggs family's amazing 4th. They really put on a city-sized show every year. This year they were excited to include their new family members, Nicole and Palmer, and a friend of Hannah's.
The Mary and Tyson Richins family's 4th. They enjoyed the Safford city fireworks.
The Thomas and Jenn Biggs family's 4th. They went on the mountain with her sister's family.
The Esther and Shad Brown family's 4th. They made their annual trip to Eagar.
When we came back from Mesa, we brought Reygan with us. It was fun to have her for a little while.
Jeremy drove down to pick her up and we went to the El Charro for dinner. He's usually a Casa guy, but hopefully he'll become an El Charro fan.
Reygan is an El Charro fan already. She had a neat experience while we were there. There was a young man (I noticed that he was cute but he was behind and to the side of Reygan so she didn't even see him) who thought she was pretty, so he wrote her a note telling her so and gave her his name and number as he was walking out. I don't think she called him, but it's always nice to know someone thinks you're pretty...someone besides loving grandparents, that is.
My dear uncle, Bud Whipple, died this month. In this picture, he is standing right beside Grandpa. His wife, Virginia, is beside him. They, along with Milo, in the front by Grandma, have all passed away in just a few months of each other. Dad and I decided that is what we want to do...go together.
His funeral was the Saturday of the reunion, so Dad and I went to his viewing on Friday.
THE HIATT REUNION
The reunion, this year was put on by Karl and Diana and their family. It was a Hiatt Hawaiian luau. Cousins who only see each other once a year reconnected, and Grandma Hiatt got to see some of her grandchildren and great-grandchildren that she doesn't see often. Mary and Esther took turns putting on her makeup. She always enjoys the pampering.
Of course, we hung out in our own family circles, which some don't like, but I think it's ok as long as we visit around. In fact, I was thinking that the year we're in charge we ought to officially designate individual family circles and have a rotating, visiting activity...maybe.
Karl's girls brought a "slack line" to set up between trees. Then they walk it like a tight rope.
We always love church in the pines. Dallin was the speaker, with Rebecca,Scott and I reporting on DeWitt and Levi and Stetson. Dad gave the closing prayer and offered a blessing on the family for the coming year.
Hannah came to Arizona to visit the Jeremy Biggs family, so she was able to go to the reunion for a few hours. It was so good to see her.
Of course, dancing is always a favorite and hugs from Grandpa. This year there was a herd of elk(?) nearby.
DAD'S 72nd BIRTHDAY
For Dad's birthday and for the parade, we decided to paint the old trailer "John Deere green." No kidding, that's what the spray can said. What a difference it made. I only painted a little bit and Thomas and Thomas and Mary took over and finished the job. It looks really great.
When Dad came home from the Temple on his birthday, we let him change clothes and then made him come through the gate to see his birthday surprise. He was really surprised, too, and I think, pleased.
He loved the German chocolate cupcakes and all the fun presents. He especially loved the greetings and calls from his kids.
On the day of the parade, we had an early bithday party for Maya and Henry, whose birthdays are really the 31st. Jenn's mom and sister came, along with a cousin for Kirtlyn. Esther and Shad and Marlie and Soren and Brody also came for Pioneer Day as well as the birthdays. Maya loved her birthday crown and Henry loved his individual chocolate cake.
PIONEER DAY CELEBRATION
Thomas drew the banners for our float and Mary and I painted them in.
Our theme was "The Biggs Family salutes the Gila Valley Pioneers." Joel and Stephanie and their family, Jeremy and Erika and their family, plus Hannah, and Esther and Shad and their family were here, and joined Mary and Tyson's family, Rebecca and Scott's family and Thomas and Jenn's family. We all wore our "Biggs League shirts and we had some of our beautiful granddaughters carry the banner in front of Dad's tractor. Brianna, Kirtlyn, Ellie, Marlie, Polly, Reygan, and Lillian. Dad's pride and joy, his John Deere tractor, 1941 model, driven by my pride and joy, Thomas Worth Biggs, 1941 model.
We were the hit of the parade, I think because of Thomas' idea of having the boys pass out Otter pops along the route! And did those boys ever work hard. Tayte, Hayden and Crew must have run the distance of 4 parade routes altogether. Docker drove the John Deere lawn mower, pulling the trailer full of otter pops. Thomas drove Tony's John Deere Gator, pulling the trailer full of all the little kids and Mary and me, waving to one and all. The back banner said "Tom and Susan" and listed all 67 members of our family.
Rylie was in charge of her ward's float even though she told them she would be in California. She built the mountain out of boxes, chicken wire and then covered it with papier-mâché. I tried to put this on "large" but it cut out the mountain!
After the parade, we enjoyed having it over with...I mean we enjoyed visiting with the kids who were here for it.
Ellie didn't want to stay at the high school for the fireworks, so she and I watched it from our front yard.
The next week, we had a joint family home evening, planned and presented by Kirtlyn and Brianna. They included everyone in the plans, making Hyrum and Lindsay in charge of lesson, Thomas and Carson in charge of game and, of course, they were in charge of treats.
Rachel and Tony and their family were in California camping with the Alders during the parade and the reunion, but the main thing their girls hated to miss was the first showing of "Teen Beach Movie,"so as soon as they got home they had a beach party in their living room!
Beach party participants...all wearing Hiatt shirts!
Dallin flew to Idaho to be with Allison for her graduation from BYUI and then they both drove back to Arizona to meet Taylor Atkinson at the airport. Rebecca and Scott and the girls had driven to Mesa as well. They all came directly to the condo to meet us. Then we went to lunch at Joe's BBQ. I have to say I really like Taylor. He is witty and very polite (he got me more water when my glass was empty) and seemed to fit right into the family. He served his mission in...guess where...Argentina, of course! He went to Mexico with them for their family vacation.
Grandma has been wanting me to teach her how to crochet so that she has something useful to do with her time, so Dad and I went over to her house the next day. I think she got the hang of it, a little bit, but I kept it simple, just having her practice making a chain. When we go down next week for Stetson's homecoming, I will work a little more with her.
Esther and her little boys went with us and they were pleasantly surprised to find cousins there to play with. Betsy, Melissa, Lisa, Deborah and Nancy were all there.
That night we went to see "Hairspray" at the Hale Theater. Joel had tickets which they couldn't use because they had left to go to Argentina to pick up Stetson. I don't know...Hairspray?...Argentina and Stetson? It's close, but really no contest. Anyway, we enjoyed it.
We had a joint FHE with Rachel's family at the end of the month. Isabel made sugar cookies for the occasion. We had a lesson about garbage can words and played pictionary.
Our friend, Dave Player, died last week. We will miss him. We have become good friends through our service in the Temple. As a band/choir teacher, he has had quite an influence on Jeremy, Rachel, Tony, Esther and Shad. In fact, he was Shad's surrogate father for a while. He was a good man, a good teacher and a good friend.
NEWS FROM AROUND THE FAMILY
Tyson took his three big kids (relative term: 8,7,5) camping way up high on the mountain where it was cold and foggy.
Tyson took his three big kids (relative term: 8,7,5) camping way up high on the mountain where it was cold and foggy.
One rainy day, Mary was at our house and the kids were excited about the lake in front of our house. She let them get out of the car and splash around...remembering her own childhood. Good job, Mary.
Jenn took some fun pictures of the kids at the Pima pool, some even being brave enough to go off the high dive!
Maya and Henry were both too young last year to remember gully washers! They were amazed by the rain and loved it.
Some of the "strangers" at Maya and Henry's birthday party. Mary told Carson to go outside and he said, "I can't. There's too many strangers out there!" Janae Lines, Trisha and Anna Knudsen and Doreen Ford, who has cousins married to Anna's brothers, or something like that.
Henry's first steps. His siblings were so thrilled with his accomplishment.
Here are Esther and Harrison and Marlie at "Hairspray." As I was taking the bottom picture, the actor noticed and rushed to be in it with her. I had already taken the shot, though, so it's not great. But he/she is the director and the one who played the mom.
Harrison cut off all his beautiful hair. I guess it's never to soon for a missionary haircut.
While we were at Grandma's with Esther, the girls set up a day for a Hiatt girls luncheon at Tia Rosa's. Esther went to represent us. I don't know if you can see everyone, but Esther's on the right about the middle.
Rachel and Tony's family spent a weekend in Mesa in July, staying in a hotel and school shopping. One night, Tony brought a pizza to their room that Rachel said was "as big as the twins!"
Then they spent a whole week camping on the beach, literally on the parking lot beside the beach, in California. Isabel and Luke got really good at surfing! I thought it sounded like a lot of fun. Do you think it is something we would want to do as a family? It's sure cheaper than the Polar Express. There are bathrooms nearby and we could borrow tents and cots. I already know what Dad would say, but I thought I would just throw it out there.
Isabel had a baby lizard crawling up her shirt, and Rylie was stung by something that they are trying to remove from her foot. Everything else is self-explanatory.
Jeremy and Erika's family celebrated her advancement toward her goal of becoming a PA, her "white coat ceremony." She is standing here, I think, with some of the doctors who are mentoring her, and in the bottom photo with those who came to watch her receive her coat. You can see Lisa, Sarah, Shad, Esther, Hannah, Tayte, Daynen, Erika, Hayden, Reygan, Ellie, Jeremy, Sean Beals and his family. Joel and Stephanie were also there but had to leave before pictures. Good job, Erika, and good luck to you in your studies. I know you'll be great!
Daynen has been enjoying dating! And how! He even took Hannah along on a double date while she was here.
Reygan passed her test and got her learner's permit.
She got some tickets to a British Boys' Band in Denver, so Jeremy took her and Ellie and a couple of friends all the way to Denver to see the show. The top photo is of them spazzing out when they saw their idols' tour busses, and the bottom one is of them at the show.
While they were seeing the show, Jeremy and Tayte and Hayden went to a Denver Rockies game.
Rebecca and Scott drove Dallin to the airport so he could fly up to Idaho to Allison's graduation from college, and drive back with her. Rebecca had an easier time saying "goodbye" when she knew she would be seeing him again in just a few days.
They spent their annual week at Rocky Point, showing all their favorite places to Allison's boyfriend, Taylor Atkinson. He is from Oregon.
Daniel and his boys went up on one of their nearby mountains and found snow in July! They even did some mini-skiing.
As well as fishing.
Analynn is following in her mom's footsteps as a catcher on her softball team. Jonathan is her biggest fan.
The girls were in the community theater's production of "The Wizard of Oz." They each had multiple rolls. Shannyn was a poppy and an Ozian, Analynn and Emma were munchkins and Ozians and jitterbug shadows (whatever that is?).
Connie's July cakes; one for Jonathan and one for Devynne. The clock cookies were for the concessions during the intermission of the show. They represent the tin man's heart.
Daniel drove his boys to the airport to go to Texas for a Nevin reunion and when they got back, they found some special mail waiting for them...Parker's mission call! They won't be all together again until Saturday, the 3rd, so Parker chose not to open it until then. Connie's a better person than I am, that's for sure. I would be tempted to steam it open and glue it back together ;-) Parker got some other special mail this month: a congratulatory letter from the governor of Colorado commemorating his achieving the rank of Eagle Scout! We're proud of you, Parker.
Porter got a job as a lifeguard for the summer.
Joel took his boys to a DBacks vs Cubs game this month and sat right behind the batters' shoulders. We snapped this picture from the TV.
Their big news is Stetson is released! They flew to Argentina to pick him up.
Docker took some cool pictures of Argentina before they met Stetson.
They waited in Buenos Aires a couple of days for their Mendoza flight, but when they got off the plane in Mendoza, there he was! He looks just wonderful!
At the mission home. Can you see how happy Stephanie is??? Hopefully, we'll have more pictures to put on August's blog.
They look cold, don't they? Actually it is winter in Argentina.
They found DeWitt! Here they are having empanadas with him and his companions(?) I especially love Stetson's man pouch. I want one just like that. I wouldn't be surprised if DeWitt crochets one for himself.
Hannah is getting ready to start her senior year! I can't believe it. She and Daynen and Porter will graduate from high school next year.
OUR MISSIONARIES
DeWitt is loving being in Argentina and his Spanish is really coming along well.
DeWitt with the Biggs boys in Mendoza. How wonderful that they were able to get together to eat empanadas. It makes my heart smile to see them all together.
Some of Stetson's last pictures as an Argentine missionary.
An SLC Mission pday. I don't know what the occasion was but they all look like missionaries to me. In spite of the goofy looks Levi is giving the camera in his pictures, he is a serious missionary. He works hard and has had some baptisms and even gets to speak Spanish. He is amazingly patient about his visa and totally trusts the Lord to do what is best for him. If he stays there very much longer, he will be the only missionary to have two pins on the mission map!
OUR COLLEGE STUDENTS
Erika at her "white coat" ceremony. This symbolizes the beginning of her PA instruction...and I think she is loving it! Cadavers and all. We invited her to go to dinner with us one time and she couldn't because she had a cadaver lab!
Allison graduated from BYU Idaho this month. Dallin went up there to be with her, so she was supported by her brother and Taylor...actually, by all of us, just not our physical presence.
Allison and Taylor gave blood together...a bonding experience?
The tennis team that Allison coached won the tournament!
Bethany, Palmer, Josh and Nicole went to Omaha's "Jazz on the Green."
Brock came to Glenwood to visit the Biggs family...Devynne.
They went fishing and Devynne caught this whopper trout! I know Brock was impressed.
The Biggs girls all celebrated Devynne's birthday by getting pedicures. Sounds like a wonderful birthday to me!
SOMETHING TO SMILE ABOUT
Jared was just in the car too long...I guess he got hungry!
I took this from my front door, looking out at the sunset through the arch. Isn't that a beautiful sky?
Thank you for all you do for us and for each other. We are so thankful for the feeling of unity in our family. That feeling is due to your loving spirits more than anything we (I) have done. In fact, I have come to realize some of the mistakes I made in my mothering and grandmothering, and I am sorry for them. But I hope you don't let my imperfections stop you from being the very best men and women you can be, much better than your parents or grandparents, as the case may be. Because we love you, we want you to be better than we are.
Have a wonderful August and remember, take pictures!















































4 comments:
Awesome blog mom! Thanks for all the family updates!
Such a good blog update. I loved all the missionary pictures the very most!!! Thanks Mom for all your hardwork!!
July is my favorite month too Grandma! But one of the things I also love most about it is the Arizona dusty rain storms and I miss those a lot. Anyway, thanks for a wonderful blog! :)
Devynne Marie
Post a Comment