Sunday, November 30, 2014

NOVEMBER NASTURTIUMS


November is truly a time to give thanks.  And I give thanks for all of you.  Every day, in my prayers, I thank the Lord for loving us so much.  I'm quite sure that we are His favorite family.  The blessings we have received as a family are overwhelming to me and I am very thankful.  Of course, that doesn't mean that we have no problems.  We do.  But with the Lord's help, and with the support and help of each other, we can get through them and come out stronger than ever.  
Nasturtiums are a flower I am not familiar with and would probably not have included in our monthly bouquet except for the fact that they begin with "N."  But aren't they pretty and autumny? 
In November, as well as in October, we are blessed to be a stop along the way to Mexico for the Monarch butterflies.  They just swarm our flowers in the back yard and when I walk back to open the pool, they fly up in front of me just like a cloud of butterflies.  I've seen thousands of them, but I don't think I have ever seen an albino monarch butterfly until this year.  I've seen plenty of white butterflies but this one had the monarch markings.  I saw him for two days before he flew away.
November in Colorado on the left, November in Washington in the middle, November in Omaha on the right and...


...November in Arizona.  Actually, we have had a lovely rainy day and a cold windy day to help us remember that November is Autumn time, but mostly it's been sunny, cool and pleasant.
November is the month we celebrate the birth of two family members.
Allison turned 24 on the 2nd. (I don't know how old they have to get before I quit putting their age:-) Allison sent me the picture on the right, (I think because I teased her last month about her silly facial expressions) as her birthday picture!  Even though the other one is blurry, I decided to keep it too.

I turned 69 on the 8th...(When we get older, it's ok to put the age again)
We had stake conference throughout all of Arizona on the first Sunday.  We were able to listen to President Uchtdorf, and others, making it a very special meeting designed just for us.  Grandpa used to say that Arizona was the red-headed step child of the church, but I don't think that's true any more. Everyone seemed proud of their Arizona connections. 
Another thing that made that day great was that all of us in Safford/Thatcher got out of church at the same time, so we got together for a potluck dinner.  
We even got to have Grandma Sherry.  Thomas raved so much about her crummy stuff that she sent over a whole container of it "for my birthday," but it was actually for Thomas.
That day, along with being Allison's birthday, was our drizzly, rainy day, making it even more memorable. 
On the 4th, the 108th birthday of Grandmother, we had an early birthday lunch to celebrate my birthday. She was born in 1906.  I remember that we always had a family steak fry at her house in Mesa to jointly celebrate our birthdays. Don't you think Dad resembles her?
I wanted a picture of everyone who was at my birthday lunch, so we had Jared take the picture.  
He did pretty well, don't you think?
Happy birthday, Grandma!
I received beautiful flowers.  I love flowers and I guess several people realize that and gift me with them for my birthday.  I also received lovely gifts, cards and calls from everyone.  Thank you.  I love you too!
On the 6th, we took the missionaries to El Charro for dinner.  The greenie, in front, got a cheeseburger enchilada style, with french fries enchilada style.  He loved it.
On the 8th, Dad and I went to the Temple, as patrons this time.  No one was able to go with us, but they met us afterward at El Charro.
birthday greetings
On Veteran's Day, Tyson and Dad took Tenney (I think that might be his last name) to breakfast.  He is a customer of Tyson's and a former customer and friend of Dad's.  He is in his 90's and still climbs trees to trim them!
You remember that at the end of last month, the family moved Grandma and Grandpa Hiatt to Nancy's where she can better take care of them.  Here they are in her house.  Grandpa still insists on his "good morning" kiss.
On the 14th, we went to Mesa for the Biggs reunion and Daynen's open house.  We had lunch with Joel and Stephanie and their boys at Red Lobster.  Everyone on their devices!  I guess I was, too, as I was using my phone to take this picture!
On Saturday, the 15th, we went to Queen Creek to the Biggs family reunion at Schnepf Farms.  It was so good to see family members we haven't seen in a long time and to show off our beautiful children and grandchildren to them.  They had a train, roller coaster and other fun rides for the kids and chances to visit and reconnect for the adults.  Carolyn, Brad, Carrie, Robert, Sam, John and some of their kids were there to represent Bob's family.  Kim, Wade, Jill, Michelle, Lori, Patti, Kelli were all there with some of their kids to represent Raelene. And we had Joel, Rebecca, Jeremy, Esther, Thomas and Mary and some of their kids to represent Dad.  Quite a group!
Kids on the train; Dad and Lori standing behind Mary, Tyson, Esther, Shad; Carolyn arriving; Jenn with Wade and his wife.  They became friends when they were in the same Mesa ward.
Joel and his boys with Carolyn; Dad and me with Patti, Jill, Lori;
Rebecca and Scott with Patti and Lori; Joel, Steph, Stetson, Daynen with Carolyn
Darrel's daughter, Misha Biggs (just home from a mission), Carolyn and Daynen; Stetson and I think one of Robert's boys; Dad with John; Thomas, Steph, Jeremy, Joel, Stetson, Daynen.
Joel, Stephanie, Thomas; John, me, Robert; Robert and granddaughter; Dad and Ellie.
Dad with Kim and her daughter; Thomas, Shad, Erika; Reygan, Daynen, Lillian; Dad with Mark Schnepf.
Robert, Joel, Stetson, Carrie, putting steaks on the grill; Polly, Marlie, Mary, Jared; Lillian, Tayte, Reygan. Mary, Rebecca, Esther, Jenn, Henry
Eating lunch; Polly, Docker, Harrison, Reygan, Marlie.
Stetson, Stephanie, Joel; Tayte, Docker, Marlie, Harrison, Reygan; Polly, Harrison, Marlie, Tayte; Tayte, Docker, Marlie, Polly, Reygan, Harrison.
 Daynen's parents had a farewell open house later that evening.  Rebecca, Scott, Thomas, Jenn, Esther and Shad were all able to go.
The next day, we attended the dedication of the Phoenix Temple with Esther and Shad and their three oldest children.
Then we ate a delicious roast dinner with Joel and Steph and their boys.
After we got home on Monday, Dad's "square foot gardening" container arrived.  He is so excited.  He got it all ready for planting winter veggies.  Thomas and Thomas came over to help him.
My Uncle Junior Lafayette Hiatt, Grandpa's oldest brother died on the 17th of November.  He was 92.   He was a preemie, and 3 pounds, and as they were so sure he wouldn't live, they hurriedly gave him a name and a blessing and just named him "Junior," and set him aside while the doctor concentrated on saving the mother. His great grandmother, Susan Midkiff Hiatt (Grandma Susan) would not give up on this baby, though, and placed him in the warming oven, saving his life. Well, he thrived in spite of what everyone thought, and he was stuck with the name of Junior for the rest of his life.  They later had another son, which they named after Grandpa's father, David, but Junior was still Junior.  He was a brilliant, loving man, a professor and father of 8 children.
On the 18th, I had the privilege of taking Isabel to the doctor to have her braces removed!  How gorgeous! Smile all the time, Isabel.
That same day, Daynen left for the MTC in Brazil.  His whole family accompanied him to the airport to say goodbye.
The MTC mission president sent this picture after his arrival
On the 21st, Rebecca and Rachel put on an elegant dinner for their girls and friends for the Frolic, the Safford High School's Christmas formal.
While they were eating the kids' leftovers, we were at Thomas and Jenn's eating a delicious pork chop dinner that Thomas cooked.
On Sunday, (we go from 3-6:00, BTW) we had Mary and Tyson and their family over to our house for a spaghetti dinner.  She had been having contractions and I was trying to help.  She ended up coming early and making the salad and French toast, and doing other things to get ready, so I don't know how much help it was after all...and to top it all off, I forgot to take a picture...if you can believe that!
On the 26th, we started our Thanksgiving weekend.   We went to Mesa early because Dad had a condo board meeting.  We met Esther and her kids for lunch at El Pollo Loco.
Then that afternoon, we saw Mary's family as they hurriedly gathered up their things at the condo and went home to Thatcher to wait until Monday for her next Dr's appt.  
They had planned to stay for Thanksgiving at Jeremy and Erika's but decided to just go on home since they had a long weekend.
That evening, Thomas and Jenn also arrived in Mesa to start their Thanksgiving weekend.  They planned to have Thanksgiving with the Knudsen family but stopped by the condo with Panda Express to share with us for dinner.
The next day, Thanksgiving day, we went by to see Grandma and Grandpa, who were enjoying a family gathering at their own house.  Most of the Hiatt family was there.  It was good to see everyone.
THANKSGIVING
We ate a delicious Thanksgiving dinner with Jeremy and Erika and their family, plus her friend and baby, and the Sister missionaries, who gave us a wonderful spiritual thought at the end of the meal.  They showed us the Church's new video about the First Gift.
Bethany and Palmer spent the day with the Jeppesens.  
Nathan and Shauna  hosted some of their Singles Ward members who had no place to go on Thanksgiving.
Daniel and his boys face-timed us as they deep fried their turkey.
Rebecca and Scott's family and Mary and Tyson's family enjoyed Thanksgiving together.  They had a formal, pajama party!
Rachel and Tony's family ate with the Alders.  They had a big bonfire, and 
Rachel made pies!
Esther and Shad played host to the whole Brown family this year.
Devynne and Brock had Thanksgiving with his family in Washington.  She was in charge of the Salmon ball(?), among other things.  I guess that's a Washington tradition.
Thomas and Jenn spent the day with the Knudsen's.
Then they had to hurry back for "Merry Mainstreet."
On Saturday, Thomas and his family and the twins came over to help us light up our house for Christmas.
We ended the month with the Temple Workers' Devotional. I was assigned to bring cookies, so I asked Jenn to make them for me.  They were delicious and among the first to go.  Elder Todd Hansen, our Area Authority spoke about the Atonement.  I have so many thoughts about that great blessing, but I won't write them all here.  I will only say that the Atonement, or Christ's Grace, makes it possible for us to have joy in our lives and hope for the future.  Without it, we are nothing, can do nothing, and hope for nothing.  Even those who don't believe in Him are blessed, unknowingly, by His Grace.  All we are, have and do and hope for is though the Atonement of Christ.

NEWS FROM AROUND THE FAMILY
NATHAN AND SHAUNA
The family went to see the Rockettes perform their Christmas show.
I hear people say that Josh looks like his dad, and when he was little, he did.  He looked more like Nathan than Nathan did, but check out the picture below...Now I think he looks like a handsome, male version of Shauna.
Bethany bought this ornament at the Rockettes' show.
She had a girls' craft day with her mother-in-law.
Bethany is receiving a new treatment for her Chrone's disease.  She and her doctors are very hopeful that it will not only help ease her symptoms but actually help her to start healing.  We are all praying that it will do all that.
Palmer, waiting patiently until she's called in.
Here is a small sampling of Joshthepreservationist's photos of historic buildings in Omaha. He is trying to save Omaha's architectural history.
Hannah is having a great time at BYU I, and making good friends of both genders.
It looks as if she really knows how to handle that rifle.
JOEL AND STEPHANIE
Stetson, living the fun, single life.
One of the big events in November for Joel's family was the Phoenix Temple dedication.  They were called upon to help with it, not to the extent that he did with the Gilbert Temple, but a lot.  Here, they are preparing the corner stone for the ceremony on dedication day.
They had to have everything ready for President Monson's visit.
DANIEL AND CONNIE
They had a visit from a wolf this month.  They were only able to catch a glimpse of it as it ran away...in the top left corner.
Snow, snow, snow! teddy bear snow man and really cute girls.
Devynne with her little niece in Washington.
Devynne, making candy with Brock's mom and sister in their cold, cold garage!
Parker had to fly home to have some necessary surgery.  He hopes to get it taken care of and get back to the mission field, but in the meantime, it was fun to be with the family for Thanksgiving.  He has been called as a ward missionary while he is home.
Their first attempt to fry a turkey.  I think it turned out really well.
Christmas tree hunting
Cutting the Christmas tree
All the good shots in our family should come in handy if we are ever have to go back to shooting our own food for survival!
Clearing the roof of snow and pine needles.  In spite of the snowy ground, they are in shirt sleeves.  I wonder what the temperature is.  Would we all be wearing coats?
Devynne helped decorate Brock's parents' house for Christmas.  She was in charge of the village scene.  How festive and beautiful.
REBECCA AND SCOTT
Allison's birthday was the 2nd of November and they had his parents over for dinner.  Taylor's dad made this darling cake for her birthday. 
They went by ferry to a football game...I think.
Rebecca and Scott flew to Oregon to visit Allison and Taylor for her birthday.  They now live in Washington, but for most of the month, they lived in Oregon on a Christmas tree farm.  They lived in a huge, very elegant (according to Rebecca) fifth wheel, right on the farm.  It was big enough that it even had room to accommodate visiting parents.
Here they are, back in Washington.
Allison got a job as a paralegal and Taylor wrote notes of encouragement on her bathroom window on her first day of work.  I think she is liking her job very much.
Sara is teaching sign language to these kids.
Dallin and Sara had the chance to help Joel on a trip to Washington DC this month.
The family went to a Suns game when they were in town for the Biggs reunion.
Polly is a starter on the varsity basketball team.
Between Lillian and Hannah being such good shots, any guys with less than honorable intentions should just be warned!
Lillian with her date to the Christmas formal
JEREMY AND ERIKA
Erika finished her pediatric rotation this month, and started on her surgery rotation.  So far, I don't have any surgery pictures...maybe that's just as well.  
Reygan enjoyed a concert with her friends.
The dogs, trying to wake her up...Bruce, Gus, Mike.
Before Daynen left for Brazil, the family ate at some of their favorite spots together.

I remember when Nathan was packing up to go to Korea, Mary hid herself in one of his suitcases.  This picture reminded me.
The day Daynen left for Brazil was a happy/sad day for the whole family.
RACHEL AND TONY
All day on election day, Dad bugged Rachel to vote.  She finally got it done at the end of the day and texted him these pictures as proof.
The twins had a Veterans' Day program at school.  Camille had a speaking part
Their family had an amazing vacation to Branson during November.  It was the kids' first plane ride as well as the exciting destination.  Branson was all decorated for Christmas and they really got into the spirit of it while they were there.  I can't begin to tell you about all these pictures, but a couple of notable events were that Luke was chosen to participate in the show at the Dixie Stampede, they were impressed with the bathrooms (remember the bathrooms in Branson?) Their lodge/hotel was amazing, they went to the home of the "thrown rolls," and they got snowed in at the airport when they were ready to leave.  Fortunately it was only for a few hours and not a few days as Mary and Tyson were in South Dakota last year!
Rylie with her date for the Christmas formal, and the dazzling table decorations.
There were 3 Riley's/Rylie in their group.  Here she is posing with the other two.
Isabel waiting with friends, for the theater to open to show Mockingjay.
Rylie and Isabel with some Alder cousins at Thanksgiving.
At Merry Mainstreet
ESTHER AND SHAD
At the dedication of the Phoenix Temple.
Brody's Thanksgiving program.  He had a speaking part.
Marlie with some of her friends.
Soren's soccer trophy
Getting ready for the Thanksgiving family picture.  See above (Thanksgiving section) for the finished product.  But I love this one, so I had to put it in.
Putting up lights.  Their whole neighborhood is decorated in lights and lollipops!
THOMAS AND JENN
A nice autumn day, picking veggies in Grandpa's garden
Jenn was able to go to "Time out for Women" with her mom and sisters.
El Charro is all decorated for Christmas.
At Merry Mainstreet with the  Alders.
Kirtlyn and Thomas actually got to work at the El Charro booth, selling hot chocolate.
The other kids met Mrs. Claus, aka Jessica Sandeno

The highlight of the month, for Henry at least, was decorating their Christmas tree.
MARY AND TYSON
Mary has been so thankful that her kids are such good helpers while she is so pregnant.
Even Jared, helping with the shopping.
One time, she left Lindsay in charge while she went down the street to pick up Brianna, knowing that Lindsay is a terrific babysitter, and when she got home, she found a dripping wet Jared.  "What happened?" she asked.  Jared told her that he just washed his hair in the toilet! So proud of himself.
Lillian asked Mary to style her hair for the Frolic.
One time when they were in Mesa for a doctor's appt, they took the kids to Jump Street.
They went home for Thanksgiving and were warmly welcomed to the Evans' formal pajama party Thanksgiving.
Before the day was over, however, Mary was in the Safford hospital with contractions.
They sent her to Mesa, where she was told by her doctor that she wasn't ready yet, so they went to the El Charro with us for lunch.  Now she is just waiting and waiting...not knowing when or if the baby will come in the next day or two or if he will wait until the scheduled c section day of Dec. 11.

OUR MISSIONARIES
What a blessing to our entire family to have such faithful sons serving the Lord around the world.  We love you, and are thankful for you all.
DEWITT
LEVI
PARKER
PORTER
DAYNEN

SOMETHING TO SMILE ABOUT
One day, Carson couldn't find his backpack for school, so Mary grabbed an empty one from under her bed for him to take.  He found these interesting items in it.  "What am I supposed to do with these??" he asked.
I heard a phrase in a talk in Sacrament meeting that really struck me: "Those with grateful hearts are more likely to keep the commandments." As I reflected on those words, I realized how true they are.  I could also add that those with grateful hearts are happier people.  When we turn our hearts to the Lord in gratitude, we are not pulled by the temptations of the world, and we find joy in every day.  Dad and I are so thankful for all of our blessings, especially for all of you.   You bring so much happiness into our lives and we thank you as well as Heavenly Father for that joy.  May you all be thankful for the blessings you receive on a daily, hourly basis, and be filled with the happiness that comes from a grateful heart.

















4 comments:

Mom & Dad said...

E verdade! Isn't she beautiful!
Dad

Esther said...

Wonderful blog post, wonderful Mom, wonderful Dad and wonderful family!

Connie and Daniel Biggs Family said...

I am so very grateful for this incredible family. I am grateful for the blog so I can know what is going on in the family and so I can realize how truly blessed I am. I love you all! Thanks Grandma!

Devynne Marie

Rachel, Tony & Family said...

great Blog thank you!!!

AUGUST ~BAPTISM FOR THE DEAD ANNOUNCED BY JOSEPH SMITH

     One of the most precious doctrines of the Gospel is the doctrine of vicarious work for the dead.  August 15, 1840 is when Joseph Smi...