How fun to get to feature North Carolina in November. One of the best things about North Carolina (actually, 2 of the best things) are Andy and Barney. Don Knotts isn't a Tar Heel, but Andy Griffith is. I'm sure I've bragged about his shirttail relationship to Grandpa Hiatt enough that you all know about it, but I totally think it is so cool to sort of be a cousin to Andy Griffith. And the caption on their picture is so true...North Carolina is Heaven's Front Porch. Not as hot as Florida or Georgia, not as cold as Virginia or Maryland, and not as humid as either one. And good people. Also, you can see Pilot Mountain (Mt. Pilot) and a homecoming float from Duke University. That was actually taken when Grandpa was a student there and I was a little girl. I remember being scared by all the devilish floats.
This is the Hiatt family when I was a baby...the first grandchild. So the first picture was taken in 1946. The one under it was 10 years later when I was 10. Also pictured are Granny Belle (Mary Belle Puckett) and Grandma Hiatt (Ethel Mene Puckett Hiatt). The top right picture is in 1962 ish when we went back for a visit. Under that one is Dad and me standing in front of the chapel at Duke, in 1965,
This is the house where Grandpa spent much of his youth. Rebecca and Scott actually took that picture when they went there after a visit to Dallin in Virginia. They met some of those great people I mentioned before...all brothers and sisters of Grandpa Hiatt.
November has been incredible. Do I say that about every month? It has been sunny, warm and so springlike...nothing like the early part of October. In fact, we have started to get flowers and leaves back on the trees and bushes that were stripped by the hailstorm in October. See the Monarch butterflies? They have come back. I'm so glad. I thought they would just pass us by this year because we didn't have flowers any more. I would have been sad to miss them. The pictures underneath were taken by Brynlie at her house. November is when we remember the things we are thankful for, and I have to say that I am thankful for November.
And then, on the next to the last day of November, we had a cold, windy day that brought snow to the mountain, reminding us that winter is coming. Rachel snapped this from our back yard.
I am also thankful for the November birthdays π Allison and I have been alone in November since 1990, so it is great that we finally have a November companion in beautiful little
(actually, at 8lb 13 oz., he's not so little!) Theodore Dean Bennion, Devynne and Brock's baby boy.
Allison's birthday was the 2nd.
My birthday was the 8th, election day. I'm smiling because the election went my way π
Theodore Dean Bennion, Theo, was born on the 12th of November. Such a beautiful little boy.
~OUR NOVEMBER~
In the first week of November, we had a lovely visit from Parker and Daynen at the Temple. I was so proud to introduce them around as our handsome, faithful grandsons.
On Friday, the 4th, Dad and I went to Mesa to see Seven Brides for Seven Brothers at the Hale Theater. It was a lot of fun! We ate at Joe's BBQ with all the Mesa/Gilbert kids first, then walked across the street to the theater. We saw Barbara Hamblin and Brian Hamblin there. So we had to get a picture with them.
The next morning we went to breakfast with DeWitt and Deanna. It was fun to see them and to hear all about their busy lives. DeWitt is attending ASU and working as a phlebotomist (he draws blood), and Deanna is working as a dental assistant and is on the waiting list to get into dental hygienist school.
On our way back to Safford, we stopped and had lunch with Joel and their family at Cheesecake factory. They even brought a slice with a candle in it for my birthday, along with a song. Joel sent me a picture of it, I've even seen it, but I can't find it now. I've looked everywhere! Even trash! It's just disappeared.
On Sunday, after we got home, Thomas and Jenn invited Parker and us over for dinner.
Then Rachel's and Mary's families came to their house instead of our house to hang out and visit.
On Monday, election day eve, we went to El Charro with the Temple presidency. They loved it! We went home thinking we were going to have to figure out how to live with Hilary as the president of the United States, though!
The next day was my birthday, election day. It happens every so often that election day falls on my birthday. I remember the year I was 21 and it was a presidential election year, 1966. It would be my first time voting because you used to have to be 21 in order to vote. You also had to be 21 in order to register, though, so I was not able to register and didn't get to vote. I complained to the registrar that I was married and a mother and should be allowed to register, but to no avail. I had to wait 4 more years in order to vote for President.
I received this beautiful birthday bouquet from Joel and Stephanie and boys.
On my birthday, we had a birthday party with ham, rolls, cheesy potatoes, salad and Texas Sheet Cake. We had a supper with couples and kids instead of a sister lunch. I loved it. I was happy to have them all there. I really missed the ones who couldn't come, though.
Dad and me and the grandkids. Polly was at soccer and came later. Mary was standing behind Parker so Ethan could be in the picture.
After the birthday party, we went to Kirtlyn's choir concert. Brianna went with me. Kirtlyn did so well...she even danced and had a solo part. We were all proud of her.
So, I woke up the next morning and saw what had happened on my birthday! Hooray! I didn't believe it was possible. I kept telling Dad that there was no way Hilary wouldn't win because the media loved her and hated Trump. I am so glad I was wrong. I have not been a big Trump fan but I have confidence in the people he is choosing for advisory positions. I especially like his Vice President, Pence. Actually, I voted for him.

On the 12th, we got the wonderful news about our newest great grandchild, Theodore. Devynne looks way too good for having just gone through labor and childbirth...maybe because she is so happy. Welcome to the family, Theo.
On Sunday, the 13th, we had to speak in church and also at a young marrieds' fireside in 3rd Ward. Rebecca came along, as Relief Society President. It was a secure feeling to have her there.
The next week, we met Joel and Jeremy in Globe. They had brought our car to trade for Jeremy's truck that we had been driving while our car was having a recalled part fixed. Thomas had driven it down the preceding Thursday and brought Jeremy's truck for us to use. We met them at La Cocina for lunch.
The next day we took Parker to El Charro.
On the 17th, we attended an orchestra concert featuring all the Gila Valley schools, including Willcox. Luke was participating in the concert. He is getting so good on his violin, but he was exhausted after it was over. They had practiced all day, and it showed. They all played together, sounding as if they had been playing together all year. They had 4 different conductors.
That week Thomas and his family went to Disney World. They had a fantastic time. Check their section for pictures of their fun π
The FHE after they got home, we invited ourselves over to hear all about it and to see their souvenirs.
On Sunday the 20th, after attending Rebecca's Sacrament meeting, we rushed to the airport to fly to Daniel and Connie's for Thanksgiving. Because it is our "off" year, all the Arizona kids were having dinner with their in-laws, so we went to Colorado to be with Daniel's family. We got there Sunday night and went right over to meet our little great granddaughter, Aila, who truly is a LOV π
It was good to see all the kids, of course.
Albert, Syrina with her new CTR ring, and Alonzo.
Shannyn, Raymond, Emma and Analynn.
With Porter and Alta and Aila. They are living in a camping trailer next to Daniel's house while they are working and going to school.
Dad and Daniel had fun doing things together: just visiting, working on the ATV and fishing in their stream.
They sent home license plates for Parker's car.
On FHE, the 28th, we asked the Gila Valley kids for help decorating our house. We bribed them with pizza and pop. They all came and quickly made our house look so festive. We couldn't have done it ourselves, and appreciate their help more than pizza and pop can say!
I got to hold Ethan and Alex got to hold Karen, Luke's new puppy. We were both equally thrilled!
Mary brought her kids over to visit the next day and Dad let them help him set up the Christmas tree train.
Jenn and I attended a very lovely Relief Society Christmas dinner on the 29th. I brought Bobbi Layton and Jenn brought Gail Jones, her neighbor. They sat at a different table because it was too crowded for us to sit together. Seated at my table are Kamela Crockett, Royann's daughter-Henry's Primary teacher, Royann DeSpain, Arva Shiftlet, Joyce Ford, Barbara Lines and Bobbi Layton.
NEWS FROM AROUND THE FAMILY
~NATHAN AND SHAUNA~
Bethany and Palmer went home to Omaha from Glendale so that they could be there when Hannah came home and to have Thanksgiving with their families.
Nathan was glad to have Palmer when it was time to help put the Christmas lights on the house.
They got to pick out the picture to put on Hannah's missionary plaque. Of course, they picked the best one!
Here is Palmer making posters for Hannah's arrival.
On the way to the airport to get their missionary.
Welcome homaha!
What a wonderful feeling to have the whole family together again.
Some of Josh's preservationist buildings for November.
~JOEL AND STEPHANIE~
Joel and Stephanie at Joe's for my birthday dinner before Seven Brides.
Joel and Stephanie at Joe's for my birthday dinner before Seven Brides.
The next day, on our way home, we stopped to go shopping at Joel's. Dad got some beautiful suits and ties.
And Docker even played for us, after we begged him to.
They sent home this "No on 205" sign for us to put up. 205 was a proposition to allow recreational marijuana in Arizona. Thank goodness it didn't pass. I don't know how much influence our little sign had, but it is the first political sign I have put up since the 1960 election π
Joel and Levi, Docker and Crew at the Dudesgiving dinner. They have done this for 3 or 4 years, eating together before Thanksgiving, just the guys.
Stetson and Lindsay enjoying the sunny November beach in California.
And in Greer at Thanksgiving.
~DANIEL AND CONNIE~
Daniel had his stream stocked with rainbow trout!
Porter and Alta and Aila took a trip to Omaha to see her family.
On the 12th, Devynne and Brock presented Daniel and Connie with their first grandson, second grandchild, Theodore Dean Bennion.
Connie went right to St. Louis to help Devynne and Daniel went a little later :-)
Devynne and Theo with his Grandma Susan blanket and hat
He even went Christmas tree shopping already!
The National Tree went through Glenwood so they went out to meet it and signed the trailer with their names.
We went to have Thanksgiving with them and stayed in a Holiday Inn that sits right on the Colorado River and is just down the road and around the bend from their house. This is the view from our balcony.
The first day we were there, we went to Daniel's hospital to have lunch in their gourmet cafeteria. All those buildings that you can see, are part of the Valley View Hospital...called by some the Tajmahospital.
Daniel met us at the valet parking area in front, and then we went to the cafeteria.
The next day, he took off and drove us around their property, Kommenheim, in their bright orange ATV. It bumped over boulders and mowed down little trees without even straining. I held on for dear life. It could have been a ride at Disney World. This picture is when we were first going across their stream. The bottom picture is of their house seen from the top of their cliffs.
We also saw a beautiful 4 pt. buck who seemed so unafraid. He just stood there and watched us drive around in our orange vehicle, knowing he was safe, I guess, although there was a group of hunters watching him from the road through their binoculars. You can see their white pickups in the picture above.
The first day was so sunny and warm that when we drove up we saw Syrina and Raymond sunbathing. Jonathan enjoyed the sunny day and we had to shade Aila with a pillow while we took her picture.
Then on Thanksgiving Day, they had a skiff of snow.
One evening, the kids and I went to see Fantastic Beasts. I had to have a step ladder to get into their van, but Albert took the responsibility to help me. He was such a gentleman. I will say, the movie about fantastic beasts was pretty fantastic! Lots of CGEs. I enjoyed Eddie Redmayne and being with the kids.
One afternoon we took the kids swimming in the hotel's heated pool.
Emma came out, while we were waiting for the turkey, with the little skirt I had crocheted for her American Girl doll a couple of years ago, and we cinched up the waist and it made a darling hat for Aila. So they brought me some colorful yarn and a hook and I made another one, especially for her.
Well worth the wait! So delicious! The little egg penguins are Alta's family's tradition.
Analynn made the basket cornucopia and Shannyn made the paper turkey and place cards. the kids each made their own handprint turkey and Raymond and I made the snowflakes. It was a wonderful visit. I am so glad we went.
~REBECCA AND SCOTT~
Allison's birthday card.
And her boys.
Harvey might look like Taylor, but he definitely has Allison's gorgeous smile π
Dallin and Sara and Parley enjoying a New York Autumn.
Rebecca face times her grandsons as often as she can so that they will know her. And they really do.
Taylor's dad sent Dad a picture of the ancient John Deere tractor they are restoring. It will be fun to see it when they are finished.
Rebecca on another one of her high adventure hikes with her hiking club.
DeWitt and Deanna enjoying the student life at the Arizona State fair and an ASU game.
Polly was asked to be a model for the Eastern Arizona Beauty Academy graduation ceremonies.
Polly and her date, Walker Lewis, for the Winter Frolic. Also with Isabel and her date.
Rebecca and Scott and Polly and DeWitt and Deanna enjoyed Thanksgiving in Heber at a resort. They said it was so elegant and they had a wonderful time.
Allison and Taylor enjoying Thanksgiving with the Atkinson family.
Dallin and Sara ate with her family in Virginia.
~JEREMY AND ERIKA~
Jeremy and Erika at my birthday dinner at Joe's in Gilbert.
Reygan, watching the election results.
Rachel took her girls to see Erika for a checkup.
At the Dudesgiving dinner.
Reygan says this is the only picture she took on Thanksgiving.
A bouquet from one of Erika's grateful patients.
~RACHEL AND TONY~
After Rachel and the girls visited Erika at her office, they got pedicures. It was Rylie's first time...an important rite of passage...although I was 60 something when I had my first pedicure π
On their way home from Mesa, they saw an accident. They actually saw the sparks and heard the crash and came around the bend to see what had happened. It involved the red car, which swerved over the center line, the driver of which was killed. And the driver of the truck it hit was also killed. Isabel, who wants to be a trauma nurse, ran over to the red car, while Rylie called the police, and opened the passenger door and calmed down the passenger. It was a devastating wreck and they had to stay around to answer questions since they were the first on the scene.
I went to Luke's orchestra concert. He is first chair violin in the Jr. High orchestra, and he is just in 7th grade.
Good for you, Rachel.
Cathy Konopnicki gave an appreciation dinner for Sara and those who help her, including Rachel and Rebecca, of course.
November saw a super moon, the closest it has come to the earth since 1948(?) So Rachel and her family had a super moon party.
Luke at his 4-school orchestra concert.
Isabel and her date, Tevin Broadhead, and also the other couples they partied with, including Polly and her date.
Brynlie is already in the Christmas spirit.
One Sunday, Charity Cluff visited Rachel's ward and sent her greetings to our family. She lives with her husband and children in Las Vegas. She had come to pick up her mom for Thanksgiving.
Thanksgiving...two dinners...with the Alders.
Merry Mainstreet. Luke's new puppy, Karen.
~ESTHER AND SHAD~
At Joe's for my birthday dinner.
At Joe's for my birthday dinner.
Esther had her preschool sing Happy Birthday dear Grandma to me. Soren was home because he had been burned in a neighbor's fire pit. See the pictures below.
A new gigantic Christmas tree with white lights and colored lights.
In the place of Grandma Hiatt's table, which she is passing on to Daniel, they now have a grand piano.
At the Dudesgiving
The girls, Esther, Marlie and Rayanne Brown, at their own girls' dinner.
Thanksgiving with the Browns.
Harrison shopped for the Winter formal...he didn't end up buying either the coat or the tie π
~THOMAS AND JENN~
They invited Parker and us for Sunday dinner.
Henry was so excited to show me his running shoes.
Waiting for Kirtlyn's concert to begin...front row seats.
At her Jr. High Allstate choir concert. She was one of the few from her school who made it.
While they were in Mesa for the concert, they went to church with Jenn's family then stopped by to visit Grandma and Grandpa's grave in the Mesa Cemetery.
They had the opportunity to go to Orlando and visit Disney World and Universal Studios. They kept it a surprise for their kids and revealed it with their Biggs Family Adventure shirts and Mickey Mouse pillows. At the airport they even saw a Batmobile!
Their hotel...very elegant.
The Disney World gate. While they were there, Thomas lost a tooth. What a good place to find a tooth fairy π They had such a wonderful time, truly a Biggs Family Adventure of a lifetime. And because they took so many pictures, even Maya and Henry will remember it.
They got home in time to have Thanksgiving with the Knudsen family.
Merry Mainstreet...Kirtlyn and Thomas worked hard selling hot chocolate, churros and tamales.
Visiting Mrs. Santa
~MARY AND TYSON~
Mary's kids face timing me on my birthday for a birthday song.
Ethan is growing. He now weighs more than 7 pounds!
Jared takes his responsibility as a big brother very seriously.
Ethan was all decked out for Thanksgiving.
They had Thanksgiving in Cotton City with the Richins.
Melody was smart. Since this is their on year for Thanksgiving, it is their off year for Christmas. So she decided to do Christmas the day after Thanksgiving, including a nativity pageant, gifts and gingerbread houses...or are they presents?
Then they went into the desert to cut a Christmas tree (Carson and Jared are cutting). It looks as if they have two trees. One for looks and one for smell π
~OUR MISSIONARIES~
Hannah, getting ready to leave her beloved Islands.
And getting home to her beloved Omaha and family.
With Lillian in the Philippines
With Shadrach in California.
~SOMETHING TO SMILE ABOUT~
Jaredisms: Jared has always had a big kid perspective and will often say things that show that he's been doing some deep thinking. Here are just a few November Jaredisms.
"If somebody falls off a cliff, the good thing is that you didn't."
"Mom, sometimes my eyes get wet at happy endings."
"You'll never know, cause you can't read my mind. Only Heavenly Father and Jesus can...and maybe Satan, but you never know."
Mary's going to want to refer to this picture in 3 or 4 years when her boys are fighting over the same toys...or in 16 or 17 years if they fight over the same girl π
When the campaign got so hectic and hateful, I had to smile at these posts.
And I laughed right out loud when Jeremy showed me this Newsweek Cover! They really jumped the gun and even sent out copies of the magazine with Hilary as Madam President...shades of Thomas Dewey in the 1944 presidential election who was a sure-fire winner over Harry Truman. The Chicago Daily Tribune was so sure that he would win that they printed the headline Dewey Defeats Truman and distributed the paper before the final results were in. Until now, it has been considered the single most famous newspaper error ever printed. I guess this will be the single most famous News magazine error ever printed.
~LAST WORDS~
I love the Church's new Light the World Christmas campaign. What better way to celebrate the birth of our Savior, the light of the world, than to follow in His footsteps and be a light in our own personal worlds? And I really think this is a time to Let our light so shine before men that they may see your good works and glorify your Father which is in Heaven. Sometimes it is best to do our good works in secret, and sometimes it is best to let our good works shine before men. In this case, it will be good for the world to see that Mormons are trying to follow the Savior. We don't need to boast or wave our "good works" flag to get honor from others, but in a quiet way, let those we serve know of our love and our Heavenly Father's love for them. Let's figuratively wrap our arms around those we serve, whether our neighbors, our Ward members, people we don't even know, or our families...especially our families...and give them the gift of love along with the gift of service.







































































































1 comment:
What an amazing month Grandma! Thank you for putting all those pictures of Theo in this month. I love that he will be in the family records. Also, I am happy Theo gets to share his birthday month with his great Grandma Susan (and the lovely Allison)! :) I'm so grateful for you and the blog! I love you!
Post a Comment