I have to say that the May birthstone, Emerald, is one of my very favorites. I love the deep. rich color, and it is very valuable, on the same scale as the ruby and the diamond and maybe the sapphire. But my favorite thing about it is that it symbolizes our beautiful May birthdays, also very valuable๐
Ellie turned 12 on the 5th.
Harrison turned 17 on the 6th.
Isabel turned 17 on the 9th.
Luke turned 14 on the 10th.
Thomas' birthday was the 19th.
Palmer's birthday was the 23rd
Analynn turned 13, our newest teenager, on the 24th..
We went to Mesa on the 5th, 6th and 7th of May and this is just what we experienced! It was crazy ๐One day it was 108 degrees and the next day it was 74 degrees. I loved it. Arizona weather is great! At least we don't get hurricanes, tornadoes and tsunamis. Temperature fluctuations and a little haboob in July is all the excitement I need.
Erika took this fabulous picture of the wind blowing the dust. See the grains of sand? And look at the dust rings around the sun. I want to paint this picture.
We had a wonderful full moon coming home from the temple one day and I tried to take a picture. I don't know why I always try because it never turns out. But you can even see the dust in the night air.
We had a windstorm in late May, which blew our pool umbrella off its post; but the picture I was taking was the butterfly visiting our lantana.
~OUR MAY~
Brianna spoke in her ward on the 30th of April but we couldn't go because we were assigned to the Silver City Stake Conference. So, we asked her to come to our house the next day, FHE, and give us her talk. She wrote it herself and it was so mature. She used scriptures, quotes and personal experiences and made it very interesting.
That day, we had a hair-cutting day while Mary was here.
On Friday of that week, we went to Mesa, where, as I said before, it was 108 degrees. We met Jeremy and his family at Carraba's for Ellie's birthday lunch. She turned 12 that day and we were glad to be invited to share it with her. Her Grandma Kay was there too. Then later, we met the boys at Costco where we picked up a mirror for Rachel. She had bought it earlier but it wouldn't fit in her car. So Jeremy put it in his car and took it to the condo to be picked up later.
The next day was Harrison's 17th birthday and he chose to go to Joe's Farm Grill. Then we went back to his house where he shared his homemade chocolate cupcakes (with pomegranate frosting) and played the piano for us. It was so beautiful. I think I could just sit for hours and listen to him play...if I could sit for hours.
The next day, Sunday, we attended church at Joel's ward and went back to his house for a delicious dinner that Stephanie prepared. She roasted her roast in the oven and covered it with spices and soups so that it made its own flavorful gravy. Levi was going to graduate the following Tuesday and since we wouldn't be able to go then, we gave him his card and took a picture early. We are very proud of him. He graduated summa cum laude...with highest distinction.
On Monday, we decided to go home by way of Tucson so that we could swing by the hospital and see Sister Allred. We took her a turtle blizzard and she was very happy to see us...of course...with the blizzard. She had been in the hospital for 6 weeks at that time. After 8 weeks, she finally got to go home.
On our way, we saw the airplane graveyard. That made Dad very happy...almost as happy as the turtle Blizzard made Sister Allred.๐
We also drove by the Tucson Temple. It was so confusing and hard to find, and to get to it we had to drive through some neighborhoods with narrow roads. There is not much parking. I don't know how they are going to manage it. There's not even a temple chapel's parking lot to use. But the temple is beautiful and so unique and very Tucson-like.
We got home just in time to go to dinner with the Alders, celebrating their double birthdays: Isabel turning 17 on the 9th and Luke turning 14 on the 10th. We went to Copper Steer and had a yummy steak dinner. The steak was good, but the best part was being with the family.
That same night, the Richins came over and did some yard work for their FHE. Brianna mowed the front and back yards! We got there just as they were wrapping it up, so we got to tell them how much we appreciated their service to the old folks.
May always brings end-of-school concerts and programs and I love going and seeing and hearing our kids perform. We haven't been able to go to all of them this year because of Temple service, but the ones we could go to, we enjoyed.
Kirtlyn's choir concert featured Disney songs. She was a chimney sweep from Mary Poppins, and got to sing a solo. She was very good.
On Sunday, we went to be with Luke when he was ordained a Teacher in the Aaronic Priesthood. Dad ordained him and gave him such a wonderful blessing. I hope he was listening to the words the Spirit whispered for Dad to say.
Sunday was also Mothers' Day and after the Alder's ward, we went to our ward where we were treated to cheesecake in Relief Society. The Young Men brought it in and then quoted the Standard of Truth for us. I was very impressed. As YM President, Thomas would have been there, but he and his family went to Mesa to spend time with Jenn's mom, who is going to move to Hawaii with Jenn's brother. She won't see her for 2 years.
We had a delicious Mothers' Day dinner, put on by Dad, Tony and Tyson (in absentia). He was in Boston for a conference. Parker came as well as Mary's and Rachel's families.
Before they left, the Richins kids sang a Mothers' Day song just for Grandmas. I loved it. Lindsay played it for me first.
One evening, when we were closing at the Temple, I snuck away because I had 6 grandchildren performing in concerts and a recital.
Brianna and Lindsay's piano recital was so good. They are both very accomplished and play well beyond their years.
Then I went to the strings concert at the CFA where Luke, Thomas, Brynlie and Camille were playing. It was very good and I loved seeing them perform. I took stuffed animals to everyone and Luke and Thomas were even good sports about getting stuffed animals from their grandma.
Esther came on Thomas' birthday, just in time to enjoy a meatball supper (Thomas made the meatballs himself) at Mary and Tyson's house. Happy birthday, Thomas! It was so much fun to have the Brown family here for a few days, participating in family stuff.
Mary and Tyson let us all sit at the table and they sat with the teenagers. It looks as if they had a lot to laugh about. ๐
While Esther's family was here, they swam, played the piano, visited, ate and played with babies. It was so nice to have them right here in the middle of things.
They even went to the Safford airport to watch Tony and Tim come in on Tim's plane.
One night we had spaghetti and the kids blocked my view of Mary combining all the ingredients together because she was making a mess, I think.
The Browns left after attending Rachel's ward on Sunday, and we, and Parker, went to Rachel and Tony's house for dinner after our church. We had Tony's famous grilled chicken. Yumm
I received a pretty pillow from Emma in the mail. It is funny because I had just read in the Readers' Digest that cotton pillowcases cause wrinkles, so I decided to make a silky one. I never had time to do it, however, so when I got this in the mail, I was surprised that Emma could read my mind clear from Colorado, and pleased that I didn't have to make one myself. Also very touched that she would think to make this for me.
We attended Polly's seminary graduation on the 23rd. She was one of the speakers and did a fantastic job. I always think that there are two kinds of speakers who speak from the pulpit: those who talk to us and those who give a talk to us. Polly talked to us. She was so personable and yet wise for such a young woman. We were very proud.
On the 24th, Lillian came home. Thomas FaceTimed her arrival at Sky Harbor so we could airplay it and watch it on our tv. Mary's family and Rachel's family and Jenn's family all came to participate. It was fun and we felt we were really a part of the excitement.
I foolishly took pictures of the tv and of course had to delete most of them but I saved a few key ones. The rest I deleted because I got much better ones from Esther and Rebecca and Thomas that are on Rebecca's section.
The next morning, we went to Rebecca's house to see our girl. She is still herself...so sweet and happy and loving. What a joy she is and what a wonderful experience she has had. It will enrich her life and then even her own family, forever.
We enjoyed visiting with her and also watching our great grandsons run around. I tried to hold Harvey, but he wasn't interested in hanging out with a strange lady. Parley wasn't either, but at least he held still long enough for Rebecca to get a picture.
Brianna brought some friends over to swim to celebrate the last day of school. Mary brought the pool toys...that we spent an hour blowing up ๐
Kirtlyn knows most of those girls, so she came over, just to watch. They were having none of that, however, and pushed her in the pool, fully clothed! ๐
On Memorial Day weekend, Connie brought six or seven of her kids to visit. Porter, Alta and Aila came, as well as Analynn, Emma, Jonathan, Syrina, Raymond, and Alonzo. Ok, so 9. Then, of course, Parker too. We had so much fun while they were here, swimming, going to church, making ice cream, visiting, a cookout and just being together,
At the cookout, Mary was doing some sort of voodoo thing and everyone was watching in amazement and disbelief. Luke, cooking the hotdogs and Henry, catching a nap, couldn't have cared less.
Parker found and identified a huge lizard, one that he says is definitely a bug eater. We like that one. All the kids ran over to see, and of course, scared it away...over the wall to the Jacobson's.
On the 30th, we had the missionaries for dinner, so we took them to EC. Connie and the kids came too.
NEWS FROM AROUND THE FAMILY
~NATHAN AND SHAUNA~
Josh has moved to Salt Lake! He is attending graduate school at the University of Utah. Ahlin flew out to Omaha just to drive back with him so he wouldn't have to drive alone. I like her. She's a keeper, Josh.
Some buildings he took pictures of on his way to Utah...Wyoming, I think.
Some Utah buildings.
Find Joshua.
Palmer, giving dental service to the homeless.
The many sweet faces of Jovie
Nathan had some meetings in Las Vegas and California, so he and Shauna went to Glendale to see their baby. Of course, to see Bethany and Palmer too, but look who they took a picture of.
Some pictures he sent from his trip.
Bethany and Palmer on their anniversary.
And again, on Palmer's birthday. Happy, beautiful little family.
Hannah and Seth went to Omaha's fantastic zoo with his family.
LATE BULLETIN: It's official! Josh proposed to Ahlin and she said "YES!" He proposed on top of the Griffith Observatory...Her name is Ahlin Rochelle Griffith. Very smart, Josh. They look so happy.
Here they are at the LA Temple. Their wedding date is August 11, at the Salt Lake City Temple.
~JOEL AND STEPHANIE~
Docker was accepted into National Honor Society.
Dad, giving Levi a congratulatory graduation hug.
Graduation day for our Summa cum Laude scholar. We are so proud of him.
Lindsay decorated their apartment to celebrate Stetson's acing his first year of law school finals...evidently, they were monstrous!
Joel and Jeremy and their families went to Hawaii for a Memorial Day Celebration and parade. Joel sent me this video of the boys playing with a parakeet.
Going to church at Honolulu's historic chapel.
~DANIEL AND CONNIE~
Parker with a former missionary from his mission who happened to be at the Spring Sing.
The Colorado Biggses are back in the pork business.
Mothers' Day with Shadrach. It was a tearful time, I think. It always was for me and I didn't even get to see my missionaries...just talk on the phone.
The Devynne and Brock family
FaceTiming on Mothers' Day. They even got the cousins together via FaceTime. See Aila in the top picture?
Porter and Alta with her mom and brothers.
In the middle of May when the temperatures were creeping up toward the 3 digits here, we got this picture from Daniel...snow in Colorado. It snowed for more than 2 days, and in fact, their last day of school was a snow day!
Shannyn is armed for bear, it looks like. At least clay pigeons.
Analynn's 13th birthday was celebrating Harry Potter.
They found another spring on their property! When Daniel checked with the authorities, they found that it had not been claimed, highly unusual in Colorado, so Daniel claimed it. He now has two, maybe three water rights on his property.
Water on his property is s good thing. While his family was in AZ, he sent this picture of their
across-the-road neighbors' house surrounded by fire. Daniel and Albert and Shannyn, who had to stay home for school and work, tried to get prepared for the possibility that the wind might change and drive the fire their way. So far, they seem to be ok.
More photos from Arizona visit.
~REBECCA AND SCOTT~
This has been an amazingly full, busy month for the Evans family. Having a senior, and a returned missionary and vacation times all in one month kept them hopping.
Polly was courted by college tennis teams, but she wanted to go to EAC as her siblings did and play for them. This picture was in the paper, showing her committing to EAC.
Getting ready for their Mexico gig at the end of the month.
Taylor and Harvey
One time when DeWitt and Deanna were here, they went out to Cluff ponds to fish.
Scott and Rebecca made a trip back to Syracuse to see Dallin and Sara and Parley.
But no matter what else they did, the month centered around counting down until Lillian got home.
FaceTiming on Mothers' Day.
Even with her frantic schedule (also taking care of all the needy sisters in the 3rd Ward) she took time to go to Brianna and Lindsay's recital so that she could help Mary with Ethan and Alex.
While Esther was here, they made posters for Lillian's homecoming.
Polly's graduation announcement.
At the Honors Assembly, Polly won several honors, including some very nice scholarships. It literally pays to get good grades. She was #3 in her class. That really was amazing considering she was also Seminary President and played tennis and soccer.
At Baccalaureate, she had parents and cousins to support and cheer for her.
Rebecca made this jean quilt for Esther's 40th birthday.
In just one day, Rebecca and Scott picked up Sara and Parley, Allison, Taylor and Harvey and DeWitt and Deanna so that they could all be together to welcome Lillian home from the Philippines. Dallin came later and Deanna had to work, so she didn't see her until that evening. But the babies were there and they were the most important ones after all...besides her parents, that is.
Oh the agonizing wait! But worth it, for sure!! Thanks to Esther and Thomas for these pictures.
The whole welcoming committee
The Evans family...almost all together again.
They all came to Safford just in time for Polly's graduation, then left the next morning for their annual Rocky Point vacation.
loving cousins greeting Polly and Lillian.
The next day...Mexico!
They have had a good time except that most of them had to suffer through a 24-hour flu! I think that's why the big kids are giving the parents a break and letting them rest.
The whole family. A priceless picture.
~JEREMY AND ERIKA~
Ellie and Erika had the chance to go to a science camp, I think in California.
Reygan's latest masterpiece. I am so amazed at her talent and feeling for her subject.
On Ellie's 12th birthday, May 5th, she and Daynen and their parents went to the Mesa Temple to do baptisms for family names that she found herself. Daynen baptized her. It was a very special day for her and for them.
Ellie has been playing softball and loving it. She is evidently very good. Her team.
To welcome her into YW, the girls in her ward decorated her garage while she was at a game. This is what she came home to. I'm sure it made her feel loved and welcome.
Her Harry Potter birthday cake, made by her Dad! ๐๐
Ok. I didn't even know Tayte could play the guitar. This is his school choir and he accompanied them on the guitar. His parents sent a video and I did a couple of screen shots. But I have to say I was pleasantly surprised and very impressed. He was really jammin'
Daynen getting ready to do some filming for a film he is making.
I watched this short film on YouTube. I couldn't believe that someone I know could produce something like this. It captured my attention. I want to see what happens next in the film.
They dug a hole in their back yard to set in their trampoline.
Reygan and friend cooking waffles...in the laundry room??
Here is Daynen, filming the VietNam memorial parade in Honolulu.
Playing with a parakeet in Hawaii.
After Joel and his boys went home, Jeremy's family joined him and Daynen in Hawaii. They rented a cottage on the beach. It looks like they have their own private beach. Erika says this view is what she woke up to. ๐
~RACHEL AND TONY~
Mr. DeRidder is retiring. He said that Rylie was, by far, the best Student Body President they've ever had. The boy is her friend Ethan.
I don't know the situation here, but wow!
At the Copper Steer for Isabel's and Luke's birthdays.
Isabel's birthday. She got a phone. She's only been asking for one for the last 5 years.
Luke's birthday. He got a room make over
Some of Rachel's work. The first group is the "before."
This is the "after." Pretty snazzy.
Luke was ordained a Teacher on Mothers' Day, May 14th.
This was at the strings concert in which Luke and the twins played, along with Thomas.
At Polly's Baccalaureate
At Seminary graduation. I love Rachel's smile in this picture.
They made signs for Lillian. The twins made the bottom one.
Seeing her the next morning.
Tony surprised Rachel with a red car.
The twins were so excited to be picked up in it on the last day of school. They both made the Principal's gold Honor Roll.
El Charro catered a wedding and Isabel and Rachel helped Thomas put it on.
~ESTHER AND SHAD~
Harrison has been really enjoying his digital photography class and has taken some award-winning photographs. These were at Sedona.
At Joe's Farm Grill for his birthday.
"The Babies" at home.
Miss Esther's All Stars Preschool had some fun end-of-the-year activities and graduation.
Bridger biffed it on his hover board and cracked his foot. Mary or Rachel pointed out that he has a pretty sweet Nike swish.
Bridger has had a rough month. After some surgery he had to undergo, we sent him a milkshake to cheer him up.
Shad talking to the Relief Society on Mothers' Day
He went to a U2 concert with some friends, one of whom went to Portugal on his mission. So he talked Shad into having bacalhau con natas...that's creamy dried cod. ๐
While they were here, they enjoyed the babies.
Marlie saying "goodbye" to some of her school friends.
With Lillian at the airport.
~THOMAS AND JENN~
Kirtlyn at her choir concert. She was a chimney sweep from Mary Poppins.
Kirtlyn has decided to earn some money this summer, doing nails.
At Thomas' birthday party
Happy Birthday, Thomas!
Kirtlyn received honors at her middle school honors assembly.
And special recognition from her choir teacher, Mr. Keith, for being in the All State choir.
Thomas was able to be at the airport to welcome Lillian. Thanks to him, we were able to watch it all on tv. ๐
The rest of the family saw her the next day.
El Charro catered a wedding in the old Layton Ward chapel. It is now an evangelical church, but they all seemed to know their way around the kitchen. He had Rachel, Isabel and a friend helping.
Thomas and Jenn are 4th Year leaders at Girls' Camp. The bottom photo is at the Cat Walk. Mary has all their kids. ๐ Then they will trade when Mary and Tyson go on their cruise in July.
~MARY AND TYSON~
Mary and Tyson and their kids have been having a lot of "fun" watching their back yard wild life. They have a few king snakes (which they welcome because they are keeping away the rattlers), dozens of rabbits and too many quail to count.
Mary and Tyson and their kids have been having a lot of "fun" watching their back yard wild life. They have a few king snakes (which they welcome because they are keeping away the rattlers), dozens of rabbits and too many quail to count.
This is from a video of a rabbit and a quail dancing around a snake. She shot it from her back deck. Pretty exciting stuff! Like the old Disney true life adventure wild life movies we used to watch.
Brianna got braces this month. And contacs too.
Ethan, small as he is, does the things he should be doing for his age. He's especially enjoying scooting all over and keeping Mary's floor dusted.
Dress up day at school. Carson was a Jedi but he realized that no one would know what he was without a light saber. So mary made him one with a little silver paint and some black tape. it looks authentic. And, of course, Alex, the camera hog, had to run and get in the picture.
Mustache day at school. Look at Carson's finger. Brianna painted that on for him.
Carson earned his yellow belt at Karate. He also earned a stuffed animal from Grandma.
Carson's church drawing. Look at the amazing details. Even a snake and flies. Goldfish? In a bowl?
Lindsay's Oscar. She won an acting award for her portrayal of King (Queen) Louie in Jungle Book.
Mary worked so hard to get things organized downstairs while Alex was working just as hard to disorganize things upstairs.
They finally took the paddle board, that Carson got for Christmas, and launched it at Roper Lake.
Holding babies while they finished up their service FHE.
Carson's and Lindsay's and Brianna's school programs that I was not able to go to.
The meatball birthday party at Mary and Tyson's.
I found something that Alex really likes.
Brianna and friends on green and white day. Of course, here comes Alex to get in the picture.
They have a sticky pad to catch mice and bugs in their garage. But they caught a lizard. When I saw it I thought it was a Jurassic Park toy.
Brianna and Carson were chosen to represent their respective grades in the knowledge bowl. You can tell which grade won by the looks on their faces.
With Lillian.
Swimming with friends at Grandma's house.
When they finished reading the Book of Mormon as a family (even Alex), they had a reward party in the desert, with pizza and a Book of Mormon movie.
Mary kept Thomas and Jenn's kids while they went to camp the last week of May. That made 10 kids for her. So she invited the twins to join the group, figuring that 12 kids is not that much different than 10 kids, especially when Alex is one of them.
She must have spent the whole morning braiding hair.
~MISSIONARIES~
From Shadrach in California. He has been called to be a zone leader. He attended a Hmong funeral.
The last picture of Lillian in the Philippines. These are the missionaries who went home when she did. (Don't you love her bare feet?)
And coming home!
~SOMETHING TO SMILE ABOUT~
Ok. No explanation needed. It just makes me smile.
Do you remember when Thomas had Porter's picture on the back window of his truck in high school? You absolutely cannot look at that picture without smiling. Then I saw this picture of his darling daughter and I realized she had inherited his all-over-the-face smile. There is nothing better, is there?
Shad gave this shirt to Esther for Mothers' Day. Perfect gift!?
Josh took this picture when he was taking pictures of buildings in SLC.
I often get frustrated with seeing everyone on their devices all the time instead of visiting with each other...and then here we are. We were at Rachel's for dinner.
The braces brigade. Smiles worth thousands of dollars.
This one does take explanation. And I have to admit I didn't smile. I felt sorry for him. He was doing a school project that involved black spray paint and for some reason decided to hit the can with a shovel. I guess what makes this funny is that he is such a smart kid. He carefully pointed the spout away from himself, just in case, then gave it a hard hit. The whole can exploded...all over him. Rachel rubbed baby oil (one of the best all-purpose remedies) and scrubbed with some salt and was able to get it off. He had an honors assembly (the same one at which Kirtlyn received honors and at which he was supposed to receive honors too...for being so smart) but he didn't go because he was covered in black paint ๐ฑ
Jaredism for May: "Mommy, I think when I grow up I want to be a Grandpa!"
Mary, braiding DeWitt's long locks.
"So what am I supposed to do with him now?"
The baby cousins being babies. This was at their condo in Mexico. What goes around comes around...I love it. I have to say that Rebecca was my most destructive baby. Grandma Brinton used to say it was because she was smart. I guess these boys are pretty smart too.
LAST WORDS
Oh my goodness! Are you just dizzy from reading about May? I'm dizzy from just having lived it, and watching you live it. What will June bring? I think it will be a little calmer...maybe. We've got camps, vacations, birthdays and whatever else comes along. I can hardly wait to see.
When Lillian was making her travel plans, Rebecca was so worried that she would have a lonely, scary trip like the one she had going to the Philippines. She asked everyone to pray for her and we, of course, put her name on the prayer roll at the Temple. But the thing that touched me was that Rebecca said she specifically asked the Lord to let Lillian's loved ones, who had gone before, be with her to protect and calm and keep her on her journey. It reminded me of a talk by Elder Holland in which he tells us that we can ask for the help of ministering angels and spirits of our beloved family members. In times of need we can ask for their help. My patriarchal blessing says that I have guardian angels, so I have never had a problem believing in help from the other side. I know that they still care about us and are allowed to help us. I, for example, have asked for Grandpa Hiatt's spirit to be with different family members who have needed special help. I know how much help he was to me when he was alive, and I believe that his spirit is even stronger now than ever. Grandma, Grandmother, Papa, and others still love us and care what happens to us and will, if we ask, come to our aid. Sometimes, they are in a better position to help us now than when they were alive. They love us and will love us for eternity. We don't pray to them, of course, but to our Heavenly Father in the name of Jesus Christ, asking God to allow our loved ones to help. What a blessing to understand that.












































































































































3 comments:
I love this family so much! Thank you for this wonderful update and for all the pictures Grandma! I feel so connected to you all because of this blog. I especially loved the last section "Something to Smile About." I absolutely love that Porter and Aila have the same smile; it is SO CUTE! And Shad's shirt - Hilarious! Thanks Grandma for the May Blog.
Thank you Mom for the sweet testimony at the end. I don't ever find myself praying for my loved ones beyond the veil to help...but I'll remember that it's available to me and mine. I echo Devynne's words as well. Love y'all.
love your words mom. i have a testimony of Heavenly Help its real! it's all so real! i love that Devynne reads the blog and always comments. thanks again for keeping us connected!
Post a Comment