CHICKEN ENCHIILADAS~ I saved this dish for June because the very first time I ever tasted it or even heard of it was June 18, 1964, at our wedding supper the night before we were married. It was a brand new dish for everyone there, and we all loved it! Grandma made several casseroles to feed everyone. I don't know where she found the recipe. In a 9x12 cake pan, the casserole was layered with corn tortillas and a sauce made of cream of mushroom soup and chiles and onions and shredded chicken, then topped with grated cheese. Over the years, I have modified it to make it easier and creamier. I thought it could get a little dry with the layered tortillas, so now I tear up the tortillas into small pieces. That coats every small piece with sauce. Yum. If you're serving 6-8 people or so, you need about 2 dozen tortillas. Then for that size casserole, I add one can of cream of mushroom soup, one can of cream of chicken soup, and sour cream if I have it. It really gives a yummy, creamy texture and flavor, but will be fine without it. Then a soup can and a half of milk, chopped onions (in this recipe, the dried onions work fine), then two small cans of chopped green chiles...more if you like. Top with grated cheese. Now, what's really good, if you happen to be a cheese lover, is to add grated cheese to the sauce and still top it with grated cheese.
Our chicken enchiladas now days are just enough for a small casserole. I use just one dozen tortillas and it gives us two meals.
GRANDPA BEANS~ I have to say that Dad makes the best chile beans I've ever tasted. He doesn't like the thick, mostly chile with meat and beans. He likes the soupy style with lots of spices and a little meat. In fact, he only adds meat to please the rest of us.
I asked Dad to give me instructions for making his famous beans.
2 cups light colored pinto beans per small crock potSoak over night or boil for two minutes and let them sit covered for one hour.
Pour off soak water and rinse
Cover with water
Add 1 can diced tomatoes
1 small can green chili
Black pepper
Dried or diced onions
2-3 cloves garlic
Dried powdered red chili
NO SALT at this point
Cook in crock pot on high for 4-5 hrs or
Cook on stove for 1 1/2-2hrs. Bring to boil and turn down to medium low.
Brown 1/2 lb lean hamburger with dried onions, black pepper, a little red chili
When beans are soft enough to eat add hamburger, oregano, cumin to taste and last of all salt to taste. Start adding salt slowly. Add cut up fresh cilantro
ENJOY!
Change seasonings to taste.This is a picture of Esther's "Grandpa Beans."
One day, we walked out the door at the temple and saw a big king snake sunning himself on the sidewalk. Talk about a serpent in the Garden of Eden! As soon as he heard us, of course, he slithered into the bushes, but I caught a picture of him trying to get away. 

We've had really great June weather. Hot and dry until the last couple of days. However it hasn't been as hot as past years. I never saw it go over 110, and usually not that high. We had some dramatic clouds this month, too, making for gorgeous sunsets. This picture is from Rachel's house.
I'm really looking forward to the July monsoons. Even though we had a couple of June showers, I hope that's not all we're getting of the monsoon. I hope we can enjoy some stormy, cloudy days all next month.
A wonderful rainy day on the afternoon of the 29th. I sat at my window in the office, working on the blog and watching it rain. Also, rain that same day at Rachel's and Rebecca's.
June is the month I always had to save up for, just like Christmas! Both Grandpa Hiatt's and Papa's birthdays were in June, as was Raelene's and our anniversary and Fathers' Day and Nathan's birthday. But that's nothing compared to June 2018. We still have our anniversary and Fathers' Day, but now we have 9 birthdays and another anniversary. What an eventful month! And it really has been eventful...a new baby (Stetson and Lindsay's baby girl, June Alet) camps, treks, vacations, as well as birthday and anniversary celebrations.
Darling Aila turned 2 on the 1st.
Nathan and Shauna's 30th anniversary was the 3rd.
Hayden turned 16 on the 4th
Porter's birthday was the 5th.
Stephanie celebrates her birthday on the 6th, D Day!
Our newest precious little June Bug is June Alet. She was born on the 14th, Flag Day. She weighed 7lbs, 7oz. and is so beautiful...just like her parents.
Nathan's birthday was the 17th.
Stetson's birthday was also the 17th.
Joshua's birthday was the 18th.
Our 54th anniversary was the 19th.
And Jori's birthday was the 30th
~OUR JUNE~
We have had a bee problem. I read somewhere...probably the Readers' Digest...that most bees in Arizona, Texas and New Mexico are Africanized Killer Bees. So when we discovered a growing hive of bees in our wall, we called the exterminator who got rid of them for us. He says there's no point in trying to capture them if they're in the wall. Just kill them. That sounded ok to me. I don't like killer bees flying around our grandchildren in the back yard and pool.
Safford Stake Girls' Camp spanned the days of the last week in May and the first week in June. Since there are members of two families in this camp picture, I put it in our section. Thomas and Jenn had just been with the 4th year girls and returned to camp to enjoy the last day with Kirtlyn and Brynlie and Camille.
We watched the wonderful fireside from President and Sister Nelson about the army of God and its responsibility to gather the House of Israel. I think the kids all took it to heart. Shannyn posted the notes she took.
During the first week of June, I had an ultrasound and blood tests to see if I had Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease. I was nervous enough about it that I went completely off sugar and flour. I'm still trying to stick to it. Maybe I'll get skinny! 😜
Brianna and Lindsay had a piano recital that we were not able to go to, so they gave us a private performance. They are both so good and so advanced for their ages.
On Sunday the 10th, Rachel and Tony and their family came over for dinner. Rylie and Isabel came in late, looking sheepishly like they had a secret. We finished eating and visiting and then found out that their secret was a box full of puppies in our living room. They didn't want to leave them outside in the heat, so they brought them in and didn't say anything.
The next day, we ate at El Charro with Thomas and Jenn's family. I got a delicious fajita salad and was feeling so proud of myself when I got a phone call from Dr. Jones about the results of my blood tests and ultrasound of my liver. Everything is normal! Hooray!
Doesn't that look yummy?
On Wednesday of that week, Shad had to come to Safford, so he brought Soren and Brody with him so that they had some cousin time. Everyone loved having them.
They all kept the pool in business.
The next Sunday was Fathers' Day and we went to Mesa on Saturday after attending the Temple with Charlotte Peterson who was getting her endowments. She has been called to serve a mission in California.
We attended Church in Jeremy and Erika's ward and then everyone went to Joel and Stephanie's for a delicious Fathers' Day dinner.
We got to see sweet Baby June for the first time, and also cute little Jovie. Bethany and Palmer came, and Esther and Shad's family, as did DeWitt, and Stetson and Lindsay.
The next day, the 18th, we celebrated our 54th anniversary. On the 19th, the actual day, we were going to have to be driving home to get ready to open the next day. So we celebrated a day early. We went to Black Angus where I was able to get steak and salad, and then when they learned it was our anniversary, they brought out a hot, gooey chocolate chip cook with a dollop of ice cream on top. It was hard to resist. But we did. We took it home so they wouldn't feel bad, then gave it away to Esther's boys.
That night, we all went to the movie and saw The Incredibles 2. It was so much fun to be with some of our favorite people. It wouldn't have even mattered what movie was showing. And yes, I did have popcorn 😏
I got this picture of the demolished Temple Visitors' Center from Mary. I think that's actually a good thing. Now you can see the Temple.
When we got home from the Temple on Saturday, the 30th, we were met with our own lemonade/slush/cookie stand. Hyrum and his friends found the only shady spot on the street.
Later that day, we went to El Charro to pick up some food we had ordered for a family going through some tough times and were surprised when Kirtlyn and her friend, Samantha VanHouten brought out the food.
~CHURCH HISTORY TOUR~
Because there are kids from five families who went on the Church History Tour, I'm including their pictures here. There's no way I can divide them up into families. Polly, Isabel, Marlie, Tayte, Hayden, Crew, Luke and Bridger all went. What a choice group. It looks as if they had a wonderful time. I especially love Luke's and Hayden's hair in all that humidity! I remember how mine was when I lived in North Carolina. Here they are, in Gilbert, all ready to get on board and leave their cell phones behind.
Whitmer Farm in Palmyra? Joel (or maybe Brett) had Leslie Hiatt and her husband Magarin go along to help.
In front of the Kirtland Temple.
Kirkland and Nauvoo
Our eight beautiful kids and Leslie (Hiatt) and Magarin Hobson
I don't know where Bridger went for this picture. He was in the one above with the boys in front of the Nauvoo Temple, but Tayte wasn't. Oh well. I guess it's hard to round up 8 kids at a time. From their dress, I'm guessing they did baptisms in the Nauvoo Temple. Such a memorable experience.
There they are. All five of the boys.
Dinner afterwards.
In their Legacy Tour t-shirts. Love the green!
At Adam on Diahman...the whole group.
Our whole group
~NATHAN AND SHAUNA~
For their 30th anniversary, Nathan and Shauna went on a luxury cruise to the Caribbean. They look so glamorous...and young.
Hell is a town in Cayman, which is where they were when they took the picture. 👿
Then as soon as Nathan got home he had to make a business trip to Chicago.
Palmer was honored at his Bridging Ceremony. It means that he is halfway through, has completed his studies and is now ready to begin clinical experiences. Proud little family.
This is Hannah at her Show Choir reunion. In high school, Hannah was all about show choir. She was even choir president, I think. I know they went to Branson at least once.
Jovie and her new little cousin, June.
At Joel's on Fathers' Day.
I think they are actually enjoying Arizona weather.
Palmer's Nebraska parents came to visit during the hottest part of the month and survived.
Josh's preservationist buildings were in black and white for a while.
Nathan's company, House of Brick, celebrated 20 years with a get-together at a fancy resort. The resort awarded them this White Pine trophy to commemorate 20 years.
I think this picture is of Nathan, Shauna, Hannah and Seth at the 20th year celebration.
Bethany and Palmer at a Diamondbacks' game, I think.
~JOEL AND STEPHANIE~
June is always a crowded, busy month for Joel and Jeremy. They always go to Normandy to commemorate the liberation of France by the Americans during World War II. France still remembers and honors the soldiers who died there to free them. There are even a few survivors left to recognize and honor.
The French dress up in period costumes and hang a parachute from the church tower. One soldier really did get caught on the spires in his parachute. Watch The Longest Day. I even watched it all the way through this year. I have to admit that for a war movie it's not too bad. It made me feel proud.
June 14th was the day sweet little June Alet joined the family. She was 7 pounds 7 ounces and has such thick black hair. Joel had hair like that when he was born. It all came out when he was about 6 months old and came in white. We'll see what June's does. She also already has eyebrows! I'm jealous.
The whole family is so happy to have her.
Do you see any resemblance? This is baby Joel.
Docker went through the Gilbert Temple to receive his endowments prior to his mission to Boston. Only he and his parents were there for this first time. They felt that it was a good experience for the three of them.
On Fathers' Day
A new father on Fathers' Day. Dad, Joel and Nathan all became first-time fathers on a Fathers' Day with the births of Nathan, Stetson and Joshua. Kind of a fun Fathers' Day tradition.
We all wanted to hold the sweet baby.
A careful Dad and Mom standing guard.
We also celebrated Stetson's birthday that day...June 17.
~DANIEL AND CONNIE~
Aila turned 2 on June 1st. This is her amazing Connie cake...the road equipment moving dirt for the foundation of their house. Aila loved watching it so they put it on her cake 🚜
Aila turned 2 on June 1st. This is her amazing Connie cake...the road equipment moving dirt for the foundation of their house. Aila loved watching it so they put it on her cake 🚜
Porter's birthday was recognized with an eyeball and an eye chart. He has been working as an assistant to an ophthalmologist while he goes to school.
Alta drew this beautiful portrait of Porter and Aila for her art class.
Baby chicken hatchery
Albert's graduation from Glenwood Springs High School was in June.
Theo is a boy after both his Grandma's and Grandpa's hearts...books and trains.
Blackberry picking in Missouri/
Strawberry Days in Glenwood Springs.
Porter and Alta and Aila went to visit Alta's mother.
Here are some pictures of Shannyn, Analynn and Emma at Girls' camp.
~REBECCA AND SCOTT~
Dallin has been having a once-in-a-lifetime experience. He is studying architecture in Japan, Korea and China.
Japan
That robot is the concierge at his Japanese hotel.
Dallin's 6' 3" frame is amazing and quite inconvenient for the Orientals...whether Japanese, Korean or Chinese. He had to bend over to go through all the doors.
Korea
China
While his dad has been traveling the world, Parley has been experiencing the world in his own way.
How fun for Harvey and Taylor on a hot summer day. I think it gets somewhat hot in WA in the summer.
I know it gets hot in Southern Utah. It looks as if Lillian and Kelin are enjoying the heat, though. Of course, they probably enjoy everything as long as they're together.
Rebecca and Scott and Polly went to Rocky Point this month, but instead of staying in their time-share resort, they got a little house in town. So they were close enough to go to a ball game and to enjoy the public beach.
And look who they saw at the Taco Hut! My cousin Sandy.
DeWitt at Joel's house on Fathers' Day.
Beautiful little Lucy Joyce.
Lucy and Harvey already enjoy the same things.
Polly went to stay a few days with Allison in Washington before she went on the Church History Tour. She was quite a hit as Aunt Polly.
And Allison loved having her baby sister there.
Some of the Safford kids stayed at Esther's the night before they left on the Church History Tour. Quite the party house!
~JEREMY AND ERIKA~
Jeremy is Joel's right-hand man during their D-Day operation. He took a lot of the pictures.
On Fathers' Day, we went to church with Jeremy and Erika and their family. It was great to see Hayden blessing the Sacrament for the first time.
Ellie, like her sister, is getting to be a crack shot.
~RACHEL AND TONY~
Brynlie and Camille soaking up the rays.
At Girls' Camp. Thomas took this picture.
Rylie has been working for her Dad at the carwash so we got to see her every once in a while when we went to get our car washed. However, she now has a new job. She was hired by a real estate company in Safford and they are so impressed with her that they are sending her to real estate school to get licensed to sell property. This could be a great opportunity for her if she finds she likes it.
I don't know if any puppies have sold yet.
Rachel decided to decorate her own bedroom after doing it for so many other people. It looks as if the kids helped in the first stages. The results are beautiful! Very restful and stylish. The headboard is one Scott made for someone's reception (Dallin? DeWitt? Lillian?)
Isabel at Trek and getting ready for it in her Grandma-made apron. She liked it. She said, "I want to wear it all the time."
Luke at Trek. It rained quite a bit on those poor kids.
Pioneer dancing?? We're lucky Thomas was there to take pictures because they were not allowed to bring their phones.
"That was fun but I'm glad it's over."
Hanging out at the Browns before the Church History tour. Isabel is putting medicine on Soren's wart.
Brynlie an Camille have been enjoying the summer as practically the only kids at home. They have been their mother's constant companions. Breakfast in bed; lemonade/handmade string jewelry stand at the Brown's; playing in the rain (mud); eating fresh carrots from Grandpa's garden.
~ESTHER AND SHAD~
After school was out, Marlie went with her friend and family to San Diego.
Candy bouquet for Dad for Fathers' Day.
While his younger siblings were on the Church History Tour, Harrison went with his dad to New York City. They saw Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, which Harrison was excited for, went to a U2 concert for Shad, visited the Metropolitan Museum of Art, I think, and the Natural History Museum, including a wax museum, saw Wicked, went to church, visited the Statue of Liberty and other things I don't even know about...all in 3 days!
U2 concert
Party for the Safford Church History Tour gang
After the big kids left for the Church History tour, the little kids set up a lemonade/string jewelry stand. I think they made $42!
~THOMAS AND JENN~
Thomas and Jenn were over the 4th year girls at camp, this year. In their huge van they were able to carry a bunch. See if you can read what the girls fingered on Thomas' dirty van.
Then after the 4th year adventure, they went back to the main camp where they saw Kirtlyn and Brynlie and Camille. They even celebrated their anniversary at camp.
El Charro conducts a very successful "Tip-a-Cop" day every year. This is when police officers from all around the county act as servers, hosts and bussers and donate their tips to charity...Special Olympics.
Fathers' Day

As Stake YM President, he helped take care of trek. Kirtlyn, Isabel and Luke were all trekkers.
Dancing with Dad
The whole company. Kirtlyn was in the Stailey family and Luke was in the Baldwin family. Isabel was part of the special history group.
Jenn's sister got married in Colorado this month, and so their family went to the mountain wedding; Then stopped on their way home at 4 Corners.
Thomas and Hyrum and cousins in Colorado.
Jenn's sister-in-law sent this picture to her.
Kirtlyn got glasses this month. She looks so smart!
~MARY JUNE~
While Carson is mowing our lawn each week, Tyson makes himself busy pulling our weeds!
An armful of puppies!
Babies and puppies are a cute combination.
Mary had a big group one week. Pizza solves a lot of problems.
Brianna's camp hairdo; participating in her ward's skit.
Carson went to Scout camp.
And got his green belt in karate.
They found quail eggs in their petunias and Mary saw them running across her lawn after they hatched.
At their Edward Jones summer regionals in Scottsdale. They gave each of the kids a stuffed animal.
Tyson earned an award for being one of the top sellers.
After it was over, they surprised the kids with a few days at the beach in California.
Mormon Battalion Monument Visitors' Center
Panning for gold
Lunch and a family photo.
It was cool enough that they had to buy hoodies.
Sea World
San Diego Temple
~SMILES~
So so true. Their true initiation into Young Womenhood.
So so true. Their true initiation into Young Womenhood.
Polly was shopping in a consignment store and found this t-shirt! She had to laugh right out loud...and so did I!
Harrison and Soren...brothers...in spirit if not in politics 😝
Whenever I wait in the car for Dad to go into the store, he always says, "don't let anyone steal you." I always laugh because it would be so impossible to steal me. When I saw this on Facebook, I immediately copied it even though cake definitely is no longer on my menu. 😋🍰
Of their ten puppies, this one is the only male. Luke knows(and Shad, and Joshua) how that feels.
Like Grandpa/ like Grandson. Theo loves those trains! Look at his expression.
Just chillin'. Got my remotes and I'm ready for a long afternoon of Paw Patrol.
So true! I hope all our fathers had a happy Fathers' Day.
This definitely made Thomas smile on Fathers' Day, and it made me smile too.
Nothing better on a hot June day than a drippy double decker ice cream cone!
~LAST WORDS~
Since I'm fairly certain that most of you skip the "Last Word" section of the blog, I feel somewhat free to write my personal thoughts and feelings as part of my journal. For some time I have been concerned about my liver. About three years ago, I was taking Augmenton for I don't remember what reason, but before I finished it, I began to have severe pain in my right side, under my rib cage. I looked up what organ was located in that spot and I saw that it was my liver. After Googling Augmenton side effects, I read that it could have some "hepatic involvement" meaning effects on the liver. So, I stopped taking it and got a different antibiotic. I seemed fine after that but it made me aware of my liver. About a year ago, I started having pain in my side again, usually after eating, which would last only half an hour or so. I mentioned it to the doctor at my regular checkup and we agreed that it was probably just gas. But I continued to have the pain for almost another year, and just ignored it.
I read in the April Readers' Digest (of course) that excessive sugar consumption can lead to Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease (NAFLD), which I had never heard of before. Since I was a confirmed sugar addict and obviously consumed excessive amounts, I was surely a candidate for NAFLD, whatever that was. So, I thought to myself that I probably should cut back on sugar and I started at least trying to be aware of how much of it I was eating. Then, I began to itch all over my body...from my head to my toes. At first I thought it was just dry skin, but it became almost unbearable and I was using tubes and tubes of cortisone cream to relieve the itch so that I could serve in the temple. One day, the thought just struck me that itching is often a symptom of certain conditions. I couldn't remember the name of the liver condition that I had read about in the Readers' Digest, so I found it and reread about NAFLD. I Googled it (Mary tells me you can Google anything) and found that it is a disease that 30% of American Adults have...especially those who are obese and have a lot of belly fat. Oops! That's me! It said there were usually no symptoms during the first stage of the disease so it could creep up on you unaware. It is caused, believe it or not, not by too much fat in your diet, but by too many carbohydrates! If it is caught in this stage and treated with a low carb diet and exercise, it can be completely reversed. If, however, it progresses to the 2nd stage, Non Alcoholic Steatohepatitis (NASH) it does have symptoms, among which are pain in the side, itching, bruising easily...all of which I have. This stage cannot be reversed, but it can be controlled and kept from progressing into the 3rd and final stage of Non Alcoholic Cirrhosis. If it becomes cirrhosis, the options then are liver transplant or death. I realized, after reading this, that my friends, Olive Kimbrough and Bill Konopnicki had died from this very disease. It also said that only 2% of those with NAFLD get NASH. They don't know why some people get it and some don't, but think it could be genetic. Of that 2%, about 20% get Cirrhosis.
Well, I was scared. It was the day before Mothers' Day that I finally put it all together and called and made an appointment with my doctor, whose first availability was 2 weeks away. I began, that day, to refrain from eating any sugar and most carbs, except fruits and vegetables. I asked Rebecca, our family diet guru, for help in this difficult undertaking, and she gave me a lot of tips and recipes and even samples of low carb foods.
After about a month of low carb eating, I realized that I felt better...the itching wasn't as bad and I rarely had pain in my side any more. Also, I had lost a couple of pounds! I found that low carb eating is doable...difficult but doable. When we went to Colorado for Albert's graduation, I was worried about what I would eat, but they served food that was perfect for me. The night we got there, they had a delicious beef and vegetable stew (reminiscent of Grandmother's stew), home grown bacon and eggs the next morning, and steak for dinner the day after. I was able to enjoy eating what everyone else ate, just refraining from the French bread and potatoes.
When I finally got to see the doctor, she confirmed my self-diagnosis and measured my liver, which was definitely enlarged. She ordered blood work and an ultrasound just to be sure and to see how far the disease had progressed. Of course, Dad and I prayed continually, that we would know the right things to do.
On Monday night the 11th of June, sitting in El Charro, with Thomas' family, eating a fajita salad, I got a call from my doctor. She said that the blood tests were completely normal, and even the ultrasound showed a normal liver! Wow! I could hardly believe it. My first thought was that we had all been so wrong. When I was thanking the Lord in my prayers, I realized that one of three things could have happened. 1) The doctor and I were both wrong. 2) The diet and had reversed my condition. 3) The Lord had reached down His hand and healed me. Dad says that he believes #3 is the right answer. Why? Why me? I can hardly keep from sobbing when I think of all the wonderful, worthy people who are sick through no fault of their own and are not healed. Mike Peterson's lymphoma, Brandon Kartchner's wife's brain cancer, and many others. Why would the Lord heal me when I deserve that disease, when I had brought it on myself through my immoderate habits? I feel so unworthy, and even embarrassed, and wonder if it is because it just isn't my time yet. I had actually been almost glad that I might not have to endure so many lonely years as a widow without Dad. Now, here I am, unworthy yet normal. We just need to help Dad stay on his low carb diet for diabetes and live as long as I have to. My goal is to continue to eat a low carb diet and avoid sugar. I want to do it to be healthy and to show the Lord my gratitude for His great blessing. I want to justify His faith in me and I want Him to think that maybe I was worth saving.
























































































































2 comments:
Mom, I always read your last words!!! Always beautifully said. This month is no exception! I’m so glad you are healthy and strong and we pray for you and Dad continually
I love seeing all the summer adventures! Also, I’m so happy little June has joined our family. She is beautiful! What a great blog this month Grandma! Thanks! :)
-Devynne Marie
Post a Comment