Albondigas soup is one of Dad's very favorite soups. He learned to love it at the El Charro in Mesa and has been trying to replicate it for years. I think he finally got it right. In fact, maybe it is even better than the original. It is basically Mexican sausage soup. Spicy and satisfying. He mixes 1/2 pound ground sausage with 1/2 pound lean hamburger, adds dry onion, a little red chile powder and about 1/3 cup of dry rice. He makes them into small balls and drops them into a boiling soup of 2quarts chicken or beef broth, a little more red chile powder, sliced carrots, chopped green onions and a can of chopped green chile, 1/3 cup of dry rice, black pepper. Simmer about an hour and then add chopped cilantro and salt to taste.
Grandma Brinton taught me how to make her cinnamon-pecan rolls long before "pull apart" rolls were popular. She would have us over to Sunday dinner once in a while and those would be the dessert. Of course, everyone loved them. Any simple white bread recipe works just fine. Roll out the dough, spread with butter, and cinnamon and sugar. Roll it up into a long roll and cut into slices. Then melt a cube of butter in the bottom of a round cake pan, sprinkle brown sugar over all of it and top with chopped pecans. Place the cinnamon rolls on top of the nuts, let rise until they look like you want them to. Preheat the oven and bake at 350degrees for 20 minutes or so and then turn them over, immediately, onto a large plate. It's a good idea to slide a knife into the center and make sure they are completely done. So delicious!
Our birthdays in August are also spicy, satisfying and a little nutty!
Lindsay's birthday was August 1st.
Tyson's birthday was August 14th.
Brynlie turned 13 on August 17th.
Camille also became a teenager on August 17th.
Brody turned 9 on August 17th.
Bethany's birthday was August 18th.
Carson turned 12 on August 22.
Beautiful little Rosena (Rose or Rosie) Marie Bennion was born on August 29 at 1:21 p.m. She was 6 pounds 9 oz. and 19 inches. Welcome to the family Rose Marie. I love her rosy blanket πΉ
August is traditionally hot and humid. The July monsoons are usually over, leaving just humidity and heat for August. But even though we have had a few hot, humid days, we have also had some leftover monsoon storms, including hail, this month. Dramatic skies, of course. Rachel is in just the right spot to capture the most gorgeous skies. Although Daynen's photo of the sky at Falcon Field is pretty spectacular too. Not only are the skies beautiful when it's stormy, but so are the streets! Check out Daynen's picture of the city street after it rained.
This is one of the storms we had in August. I don't know if you can see the hailstones on our lawn. It was exciting. The other pictures are of Polly in their front yard during the storm.
I have been following a site called "If you grew up in Mesa, do you remember..."
I loved this picture of the old Pete's Fish and Chips.
And this one is of the dedication of the Mesa Temple in 1925. This picture is of the Temple workers who were called by the time it was dedicated. Grandma and Grandpa Driggs are both in it, as is a young Grandma Brinton. Grandpa Brinton, who was working on the grounds, was not called to be an ordinance worker for several months. Grandpa Driggs is the 3rd person on the left, standing behind the lady in the white dress. Grandma Driggs is the tiny lady standing behind the second seated person on the left. She has a white dress and a necklace. Grandma Brinton is one over to the right from her. She has on a white dress and has short dark hair. (It didn't start going white until a few years later when she was pregnant with her 5th or 6th child. Ruth was her 4th and was the baby at this time.) Grandma Brinton was the youngest of all the Ordinance workers at that time.
I thought you might like to see a Hobbit house. Lynn and Sandra Smith are living in New Zealand for a while and when Tessa and her husband came to visit, they went to the Shire.
BACK TO SCHOOL
Back to school is a perfect photo op...a record of your kids' growth and maturity through the years.
We even have pictures of some of our college kids...Polly, Reygan, Harrison and Isabel. Other kids who are going to college, but of whom we didn't get pictures, are Shadrach, Porter, Alta, Seth, Parker, Daynen, Tayte, Jori and Kelin.
Crew is a Junior at Highland High School
Analynn is a Freshman at Glenwood Springs High School, Emma is in 7th grade, I think, and Shannyn is a Junior at Coal Ridge High School...Analynn's rival school.
Syrina, Raymond and Alonzo are going to school in Glenwood, I think. Syrina is in 5th grade (?) and Raymond and Alonzo are in 4th, maybe.
Polly is at Dixie State in St. George, Utah.
Reygan is at Chandler/Gilbert Community College, and Hayden and Ellie, of whom I don't have pictures, are both in Heritage Academy, Junior and 8th grade.
Isabel is at EAC, Luke is a Freshman at Safford High School, and Brynlie and Camille are at Safford Middle School.
Harrison is at Chandler/Gilbert Community College, Marlie and Bridger are at Highland High School as Freshman and Junior, and Soren and Brody are 5th and 3rd graders.
Kirtlyn is a Freshman at Safford High School, Thomas is at Safford Middle School and Hyrum, Maya and Henry are at Ruth Powell in Safford, in 5th, 3rd and 1st grades.
Brianna is in 8th grade at Thatcher Middle School, Carson is in 6th grade, Lindsay is in 5th grade and Jared is in 1st grade.
Then, of course, we have our graduates who are extending their education beyond college. Josh, Dallin, Stetson. Brock, Palmer, DeWitt are all working hard at pursuing advanced degrees.
~OUR AUGUST~
We started off our August by going to Gilbert to go to the blessing of sweet Baby June. And we ended August by welcoming our newest great granddaughter, Rose Marie Bennion. Her name is really Rosena, a Bennion family name, but they will call her Rose or Rosie. Anyway, she is so beautiful and we are thankful that she is here safely.
You might notice how many times I wrote "A happy family" above family pictures. I was impressed, myself, how many times that adjective applies in our family. I hope I didn't miss anyone. But just so you know, I only put it on the pictures that had the entire family.
This month we also started the process of moving out of the condo and moving into the house in Gilbert. We have thought of other things to call the house such as "Lidia," because it is on Lidia Lane, "the cottage," "Lidia Cottage," but it always just seems to be "the Gilbert house." Anyway, Esther and her kids and Isabel, who was staying with her, really helped a lot that weekend. Then Jenn and her kids got to the condo and pitched right in to help too. Joel and Stephanie have been amazing with their help at both the condo and the house. Of course, Levi has been right beside everyone who helps. He has truly been supportive and helpful. He has helped to move us out, move us in, clean up and fix up the condo and even move furniture around at the house. Esther and Harrison and Marlie and their other kids have also worked really hard to get us cleaned up and moved. We also had help from Jeremy and Hayden and some of his friends when it came time to move furniture from the condo to the Gilbert House. It seems ironic that the kids who won't ever stay in the house are the main ones who have been working to move us in π
On the 5th, we went to June's blessing in Stetson and Lindsay's ward, which, by the way, is the ward our Gilbert House is in. Stetson gave her such a beautiful Father's blessing. I just wish she could have heard and remembered it throughout her life. Hopefully, her spirit was aware. Afterwards, we went to Joel and Stephanie's for a delicious luncheon. Jeremy's and Esther's families were also there.
Proud Grandmothers
4 generations
After the luncheon, we went to Banner Desert Hospital where Kirtlyn was recovering from her appendectomy. Poor sweetie, she was so out of it, but tried to be gracious anyway.
The next day, when she got out of the hospital they came to the Gilbert House to stay. They were our first guests.
As soon as I got home, I got a bad cold. I felt extra bad because Mary wasn't feeling well either, with thyroid problems that upset every system in her body, and I wasn't able to help her. It was a horrible chest cold, the first cold I've had in years. I was so embarrassed. I pride myself on being healthy. You know what "goeth before a fall," don't you? Right! Pride. It was followed by laryngitis that lasted another 2 weeks. I got a nice "get well" message from Rachel on Instagram.
Then Rebecca and Polly came over to bring dinner...a keto-friendly dinner. Delicious. It was the last time for me to see Polly before she left for St. George. I absolutely didn't want her to take a picture of me while I was sick and looking sickly, but now I'm glad she did.
The Gilbert house is so much bigger than the condo, so we are trying to buy furniture for it. Rachel went shopping with us one day; we ordered stools from Walmart, which Harrison put together and took to the house; and Stephanie has helped us buy some sofas for the living room. With everyone's help, our house will look like a model home, I'm sure. π
On August 18th, Maya Susanna was baptized and confirmed by her father, and assisted in the confirmation by Dad, Jenn's brothers, and brother-in-law. Her dad gave her a very special blessing that I surely hope she was listening to. It could be a guide for her throughout her life.
Mary took this picture. She was there, but not in the picture, unfortunately.
The next day, we went to Gilbert/Mesa, after church, for our temple break. Jeremy and Erika invited us to eat meatballs with their family. They are doing so much remodeling of their house that it is going to look like a totally different house...in fact, it already does. While we were there, Dad had Erika remove a staple from his head. Dr. Kartchner had removed a cyst from his head the week before and closed it with a staple. It took Erika all of 5 seconds to remove it. Very slick! She knew just what she was doing and had the right tool to do it.
They have a very unusual pet...a Sugar Glider. It has fur, not hair like a squirrel or a mouse. It's like a chinchilla or mink. Beautiful and so soft. It also has opposing thumbs and hands like a raccoon. It sat on my hand and ate a strawberry. It was fun until it was somehow startled and ran up to my neck!
We met Reygan's boyfriend who just got home from Chile. His name is Drayton Lavender. His mom is an Eagar. He was so polite and a lot of fun and seemed at ease with us and right at home with Reygan's family. Reygan is showing her YW medallion which she just received in church that day.
Joel and Stephanie and Levi have been getting the condo ready to sell. They painted the whole thing and recarpeted it too. It looks wonderful. It should sell quickly...I hope.
"Goodbye" to the condo. It has truly been a blessing to our family for 14 years. Surprisingly, I miss it, but hopefully, I will start to feel at home in the Gilbert house. It will be more roomy and convenient for all our kids, that's for sure.
We went to lunch with Joel and Stephanie and Levi after saying "Goodbye" to the condo. We went to one of Dad's favorite places, Black Angus. I like going there because I can eat.
That night, we went to Osaka, a Japanese grill place, with Esther and Shad and their family, and Shad's sister. It was fun to watch the chef perform. And the food was delicious. Dad brought a can of Sacramento Tomato Juice for Joel and Esther and Jeremy. He brought it for Jeremy for the meatballs, and then decided the other kids needed one too. Thomas gets it from one of his suppliers.
A happy family
Carson has been our lawn man all summer. Last week Dad recruited Thomas to help and learn how to do it. It was a hot sweaty day and the popsicles were very welcome. Jared and Alex enjoyed them too after a hot afternoon of playing outside.
On the 26th, Brianna spoke in church and Carson was ordained a Deacon by his father, assisted by Dad, Russ Richins and Tyson's grandfather. Bishop McEwen also assisted.
Proud family
After Carson's ordination, we went to Rachel's ward where Camille spoke in church. Both Brianna and Camille gave very good talks. I was proud of our girls and glad that we could be there to hear them. Later, we had dinner at Mary's house. We saw their pictures from Poland and they gave us some mementos from their trip. Dad got some salt from the salt mines and I got a carved nativity.
This is a picture of the new and old Temple presidencies. We met for dinner at the "Temple House" on the 27th. I should have thought, when I was choosing something to wear, that this picture would immediately follow the Sunday one above and that I would have on the same shirt.π I was just thinking that summer is almost over and I only wear this shirt in the spring and summer, so I'd better wear it while I can.
Pictured: l-r back: Danny & Penny Merrill 2nd counselor, Paul & Sue Kartchner President, Mel & Adeline Palmer 1st counselor, Wayne Griffin recorder. l-r front: Tom & Susan Biggs 1st counselor, Nona & Mark Herrington president, Calvin & Susan Allred 2nd counselor.
On the 29th, while we were at the temple, we got a message that our newest great granddaughter, Rosena Marie Bennion had safely arrived, two weeks early. Of course, I had to brag to everyone about her, but it made Dad nervous that now everyone at the temple knew I had been on my phone π
Last day of the month, we went to El Charro, after the temple, at 2:00 to get lunch, and found a Sagana Feira (gypsy market). I think it's great for business. The restaurant was full at 2:00!
NEWS FROM AROUND THE FAMILY
~NATHAN AND SHAUNA~
Josh got to go home to Omaha for a little while this month before he finishes his graduate program at Uof U. They went to a baseball game and Hannah posted this picture in honor of her big brother who brought an extra spoon because he knew she would want some of his ice cream.
While he was in Omaha, of course, he took pictures. I think these are Nebraska buildings, but some of them might be Utah ones. I know the last one is of the oldest building in Nebraska.
Bethany and her happy family on her birthday.
Bethany and Palmer went to the cabin this month, and treated some of their friends to a weekend in the cool pines.
These are screenshots of Jovie at the cabin.
Nathan attended a conference in Las Vegas for his business and Malala was a featured speaker. I am so impressed. I have read her book, thanks to Harrison's recommendation, and am glad that she is here and safe, and that she is speaking out for the education of women.
~JOEL AND STEPHANIE~
Sweet Baby June Alet Biggs was given a name and a beautiful blessing on August 5th, by her father. Alet is a family name in Lindsay's family. Her blessing dress was a gift from Lindsay's dad.
A happy family.
At the luncheon after the blessing.
A proud and happy family
Stephanie and Levi have been incredible. They have worked so hard to get the condo ready to sell and also to help get the Gilbert house ready to move into. Levi has taken his roll as our real estate agent very seriously and has been so accommodating and helpful throughout every step of the process.
New sofas.
Baby June
Baby swimsuit? Darling!
~DANIEL AND CONNIE~
Their big news, of course, is their newest granddaughter, Rosena (or Rose or Rosie) Marie Bennion. She was born on the 29th, so there is more about her at the end of their section.
This is of Shannyn at their youth conference where she found a girl whose name was spelled the same way.
Theo, enjoying the splash pool with his best friend...who, contrary to appearances, is a little boy.
Daniel and Connie are starting a little cattle herd. I think they have two now. These are calves from a cow that they had before and gave away or sold, with the option to have some of her offspring. Notice on the far right of the last picture, Connie got a "calming goat."
Raymond, helping to build the fence for the new calves; and Shadrach, feeding one of the baby calves.
Aila enjoying the summer with her Aunt Shannyn and Uncle Alonzo; and making good use of an old Easter basket to carry one of their kittens.
Aila is patiently (?) waiting for their chicks to hatch...so is the cat!
A happy family at the movie, and with the calming goat π
Connie's brother is married to a German girl and they live in Germany. When they came for a visit, the kids had fun going kite flying with their German cousins.
Devynne called and wanted a simple white bread recipe. I sent her my BYU white bread recipe, which is almost like Grandma Brinton's, except we get the advantage of having powdered yeast instead of having to dissolve a cake of yeast. It looks very yummy, Devynne. Good job!
She got it done just in time! Her baby came two weeks early. But sweet little Rose looks so healthy and chubby; she doesn't look like she was early at all. And Devynne looks great. In my memory of childbirth, I never looked that good so soon after having a baby. Of course, I never had a 6 pound baby and all mine were backwards, so I was worn out...and looked it, I'm afraid. Devynne looks lovely, just like her baby.
The Buzz Lightyear was a gift from Rosie to Theo.
Connie went as soon as she knew Devynne was in labor. Daniel is eager to go as soon as he can.
A happy family.
~REBECCA AND SCOTT~
Dallin came home from China this month, and we got to see him briefly before he went to Mexico then NY.
The Evans family enjoying their semi-annual Mexican vacation.
Yes, you guessed it...another happy family.
Polly, getting packed up to go to Dixie, and a farewell lunch with Rachel and her girls.
After Mexico, Scott shaved his beard. I was glad to see his handsome face again.
Rebecca and Scott and Polly and DeWitt went to see Lillian in Cedar City when they took Polly up to St. George for school. Lillian was so glad to see them that she was brought to tears. She loves her life; she wasn't sad, just emotional to see her family.
She and Kelin went with the others to help get Polly's apartment set up.
They all went lake surfing in Kelin's family's boat...even Rebecca and Scott. Lillian and Kelin were able to do it without the aid of the tow rope. Amazing.
DeWitt went to NY to spend some time with Dallin and Sara and Parley.
Sara firmly believes that even though she was a New Jersey girl, she is now a committed Arizona girl. She posted this weather channel information as one of the reasons why.
Parley wrestled with a mattress, I think, and came away with a broken tibia. He is sporting a big blue cast and seems to get along fine with it. He is just a naturally happy boy and can handle a lot.
Allison and her beautiful babies, Harvey and Lucy.
The Atkinson family...yet another happy family
Lillian and Kelin at a friend's wedding reception. It looks as if they stole the show!
They have taken advantage of school break and traveled a little. I had no idea this kind of thing could be found in Boise, Idaho!
Mary was so sick, this month, from some bad thyroid medicine, so her sisters pitched in to help her. Rebecca came one day just to clean for her.
Rebecca and Scott went to a baseball game on the light rail in Phoenix. Dad would have loved to do that. We'll have to try it sometime.
~JEREMY AND ERIKA~
At June's blessing and at the hospital with Kirtlyn.
When we went to their house for a meatball dinner. It was so fun to see all of them. We even got to see Daynen and Jori before they left to have dinner with her parents.
Reygan with her boyfriend, Drayton Lavender. What a pretty name...Reygan Lavender.
Daynen and Jori got a new car.
Hayden and his handsome friends took the furniture from the condo to the Gilbert house for us.
Jeremy resurrected the picture of him and Erika, after they had played in the rain and mud and collaged it with ones of Daynen and Jori and Reygan and Drayton also having rain fun.
At a Diamondbacks' game
Jeremy came by one morning...in fact, it was the morning Devynne's baby was born...to get some things from El Charro and to give Dad some tech support. On his way home, he flew his drone above Red Knolls. I've never been any closer than passing it on the highway, but I know it's a favorite place to go for picnics and such. Maybe we ought to have a family picnic there sometime when it's not hot.
~RACHEL AND TONY~
Tony and Luke went "school shopping?"
Saying "goodbye" to their cousin, Polly.
Rachel and kids at Maya's baptism. Rachel gave a very good talk on the Holy Ghost.
Brynlie and Camille going to the church for their Bishop's birthday interview.
Turning 13! Unbelievable
Then they came to have a birthday swim. Tony was taking the picture.
Brandon actually posted these pictures. Read what he said. People just like to take pictures of these beautiful kids and even call and ask if they can.
The laundramat. A perfect place for a photo shoot...when you have a model as pretty as Isabel, anyway.
Not only beautiful, but smart!
Luke is playing on the Freshman football team. This was his first game.
When Mary was so sick with her thyroid problem, Rachel brought dinner and helped with the kids.
This is Rylie, getting ready for an open house with her real estate company. She will be attending real estate school in Mesa.
The twins brought her a treat after school one day.
Rylie and Brandon at a Cardinals game. I wonder who took their picture?
Rachel and her kids at the temple...our swing day, so we didn't see them, but we're so glad they went. I wonder who took their picture too?
~ESTHER AND SHAD~
They have been so good to help us get moved...cleaning and putting away as well as moving things over. Esther then gave us a video tour of the house so we would know where she put things.
Soren got hit in the mouth by a triangle shaped block. I saw him later and it has healed so well I had to really look for the scar.
When we were at her house, I was fascinated to watch their robot vacuum cleaner.
We ordered some stools for our house and had them sent to Esther's. Harrison put them together for us.
What a fun time of life! BTW, HOCO is short for Homecoming.
Brody wanted to have his birthday lunch at McDonald's.
Bridger is also playing Freshman Football, and this was his first game.
Dad and Soren share an interest in firearms, so Dad sent him to a site where he could see all those different kinds of guns. Is that a good idea? I don't know. But I like for them to share an interest.
When Mary was sick, Esther sent pizza because she couldn't be there to help.
At Osaka when we went to eat with them for FHE.
~THOMAS AND JENN~
Kirtlyn had appendicitis and had to be flown to Mesa for surgery since our surgeon, Dr. Carter, was out of town.
She had a lot of visitors after her surgery...maybe more than she wanted.π
There was a train room in the hospital that completely fascinated Kirtlyn's brothers, her dad and her Grandpa.
Maya was baptized and confirmed on August 18th by her dad.
Kirtlyn's darling post.
~MARY AND TYSON~
Brianna and her friends at the temple for baptisms.
Brianna qualified for tickets to a Diamondbacks' game because of her good grades. She and her dad took advantage of the great seats.
Tyson's Edward Jones co-representatives took part in the Walk Across America to fight Alzheimer's disease. This article quoted Tyson.
Mary went to the Biggs house to give back-to-school haircuts and ended up trimming Maya's friend's hair as well.
When Mary was so sick, I was also sick and contagious, so I wasn't able to help much. When I got better I had the boys over one day to give her a little rest. But I was so thankful that her sisters pitched in and helped her more than I could.
And she really did need the rest. Those two boys are a handful! One day they got into the syrup and honey in her pantry and poured it all over the floor. She took them outside to wash them off. The next day they did it again, and so she had to change the punishment. This time Alex (the self-confessed instigator) had to spend time-out in the corner. Not as much fun as playing in the water.
For Carson's birthday, Mary took him and 3 friends to Walmart, gave them each $5 and told them to buy the birthday treat. They pooled their money and got an Oreo ice cream cake. They also got "Sodalicious" and watched a movie. Perfect kind of party for a mom who's not feeling well. And the boys loved it.
On Sunday, the 26th, Carson was ordained to the Aaronic Priesthood as a Deacon. He received a beautiful blessing from his dad.
Lunch after the ordination.
On the first day the temple was open, after Carson was ordained, they came to the temple to do baptisms. It was while we were there, so we got to be with them. What a neat experience it was to listen to Dad give Carson his talk about the sacredness of the temple and the work that is done there.
~MISSIONARY~
Docker at the MTC. He is getting very antsy and eager to go to Boston and begin the work for real. He is also doing very well with his Chinese.
~SOMETHING TO MAKE YOU SMILE~
Doesn't that smile make you smile? Remember Porter's baby picture that Thomas had glued to the back window of his truck when he was in high school? Or was it Jeremy? Funny I don't remember. Anyway, I do remember the smile. It is exactly the same one on Aila's face!
A Community Center in Colorado posts these funny signs and I copied a bunch of them. I'll be putting them on this section for a while. Notice the backgrounds...weather, cars, people, etc.
Ouch!
~LAST WORDS~
In spite of my three-week cold, August has been a very good month. A brand new great granddaughter was safely born, we blessed June, ordained Carson, and saw grandchildren and children come to the temple. We met with and got better acquainted with some new friends, moved into a new house, and enjoyed some awesome storms with performances by lightening, wind and rain. We've also vicariously enjoyed participating in the exciting things you are doing through pictures and texts. What wonderfully interesting people you are. We are glad to know you π
It is a privilege to associate with you, to be your friends as well as your parents and ardent admirers. May the Lord bless you and watch over you in September, and always.






































































































































1 comment:
Well I have to say I enjoyed the blog this month quite a lot, mostly because it’s the month my baby girl was born! ;) Thanks for all your hard work this month Grandma, it’s such a great blog post! Also, I hope you are feeling better. I love you!
Post a Comment