Saturday, June 01, 2019

MAY~MORE OF DAD'S 3RD GREAT GRANDPARENTS

JOSEPH MARTIN PIERCY AND ELEANOR BEERS PIERCY
~Ellis' great great grandparents~
One of the most scenic yet dangerous areas of England during the 1700's and early 1800's was Hampshire on the southern coast.  The weather there is milder than the cold, rainy north, with beautiful landscapes and dramatic sea vistas.  Hampshire (also known as Southampton and Southamptonshire) was the site of most of the hostile invasions of England through the centuries.  It was also known as "The Lawless Coast" because of its history of smuggling.  Historically, it was part of the ancient British kingdom of the Celts, and was invaded by the Saxons and became one of the first Saxon shires to be recorded in 755.  The people of Hampshire were fiercely proud of their heritage, and they probably had somewhat chaotic lives from time to time.  This is a picture of a Hampshire village street today, but it probably hasn't changed much over the centuries.
Throughout its history, it was one of the most important harbors of the British Isles because of its combined shelter and deep water.  It was host to many famous ships, the Mayflower and the Titanic, to name two.  Of course, most people in the 1700's and 1800's made their living by the sea, but agriculture was also a major source of income.  I don't know which livelihood your ancestors pursued, but Joseph Martin Piercy and Eleanor Beers Piercy, ancestors of Ellis,  were both born there.  They lived most of their lives in Portsea, a parish of Hampshire county.  Joseph was born in 1768 or 1770 (depending on which source you believe) in the parish of Portsea, Hampshire, England.  
Joseph's parents were Martin Percy (1740-1826) and Jane Quinton Percy(1742-1808).  Joseph was the second of seven children.  He married Eleanor Beers on October 17, 1793 in Portsea.  She was born in Hampshire also, the daughter of Anthony Beer[no s] (1720-1800) and Elizabeth Liddel (1722-).  Eleanor was the 7th of 8 children.  Joseph and Eleanor had 8 children in 15 years.  She died two years after her 8th child was born, in 1808, and was buried in Portsea, Hampshire.  Their first child,  George, Dad's great great grandfather, was the father of Thomas Biggs who was the clerk of the Lehi Company.  Joseph may or may not have married two more times before he died in 1853.  The reason I'm not sure is because the source I saw had his marriage date for one of them before the death date of Eleanor, and I know polygamy wasn't legal then...in England or America.  So I'm not sure, but he did move from Hampshire to the London area where he lived until he died on October 30, 1853, in St. Pancras parish, London, England.
LEAVEN LARD AND MARY EASTERLY
~Nora's great great grandparents~
These ancestors of Nora were American.  We don't know who the parents of either Leaven or Mary were, or where they came from, but we know they lived in Shelbyville, Bedford County Tennessee when their children, Leaven Lard and Mary Easterly were born.  I've checked birth records and can't find names of their parents, but Leaven Lard was born about 1793 and Mary Easterly was born about 1790  also in Shelbyville.  Shelbyville, in Bedford County, is in the central basin of Tennessee.  It is characterized by rolling pasture lands mixed with high elevation hills and flat river bottoms.  Its topography leant itself to gorgeous horse farms and also the production of beef.  The aquifers and springs were perfect for whiskey brewing, notably, Jack Daniel's.  Historically, this area was loyal to the Patriots' cause during the Revolutionary War.  In fact, Shelbyville was named for Major General Isaac Shelby of Revolutionary War fame.  Bedford County was named for Revolutionary War hero, Thomas Bedford Jr.  So, even though these ancestors were born a few years after the war, they came into a society that was patriotically American.
Leaven and Mary were married about 1816 and had six children, of which William T., your ancestor, is the 5th.  They moved to Clinton County Missouri after their children were born...all six of them having been born in Shelbyville, Tennessee.  Clinton County was right on the Platte River and was a last stop for those heading west, facing an unsettled, wild land with no a chance to resupply necessities.  It was a crucial time in Missouri, a time of Westward expansion and bigotry with Governor Lillburn Boggs, who issued the "Extermination Order" against the Mormons.  It was also the subject of "The Missouri Compromise" that allowed Missouri to enter the Union as a slave state and Maine to enter as a free state, thus preserving the balance of slave/free states in Congress.  This issue is one of the reasons that anti-slavery Mormons were so feared and hated in Missouri.   The Lards, however were not Mormons, so were not affected by this hatred.   Leaven died in 1829 in Haynesville, Clinton County, Missouri, and Mary died on November 8, 1848, also in Haynesville, Missouri.  In the Ellis and Nora Biggs book, go to the page of Grandmother's genealogy and find Mary, the wife of Leaven Lard, and write her last name...Easterly.
I am finding that this research into ancestors I previously knew very little about is so interesting and it gives me an appreciation for the lives they lived and for the life we are able to live in these days.
Our May birthdays are also interesting and I certainly appreciate them and am so thankful for their lives.
Ellie turned 14 on the 5th.
Harrison turned 19 on the 6th.
Isabel turned 19 on the 9th.
Luke turned 16 on the 10th.
Thomas' birthday was the 19th.
Palmer's birthday was the 23rd/
Analynn turned 15 on the 24th.
Thomas and Jenn's 16th anniversary is May 31st.
~OUR MAY~
May started out sunny and warm, with the hint of a hot summer to follow, but as the month progressed, it cooled down and was almost late-winter-like, warming up again at the end.  Breezy, showery, kite-flying weather most of the month. 
We even had a microburst one day late in May.  It shook our house for about 15 minutes and then cleared up and was calm and lovely.  Dad had gone to Home Depot, so I called him to see if he was sheltered in the store.  He was in the car, though, on his way home.  
He said that he had been in the parking lot when the wind hit, and it blew off his hat.  He chased it all over the Home Depot parking lot but wasn't able to catch it.  Finally, a man caught it and handed it to him and he was on his way.  When the wind passed by, it was calm and beautiful, as seen in these pictures by Mary.
When we were in Gilbert, we even saw an early haboob!
These dramatic skies were taken by Rachel on her walk one May morning. She has the best view of our desert skies.
We went to Gilbert for a whole week so that we could go to the Brinton cousins' party on Saturday the 4th, and also to Stetson's graduation from ASU Law School the following Wednesday.  We had time to see all the kids and enjoy visiting with them.  We went to El Pollo Loco with Esther and Marlie when we first got there on Friday, the 3rd.  Dad had an eye appointment that day, so that's why we went to Gilbert Friday morning.
The Brinton party was Saturday night, and the Hiatts were in charge this year, so we had it at Karl's, with a Hawaiian theme.  Dad found a cute Hawaiian shirt at Walmart, so he was right in style.
It was good to see so many of my siblings and cousins, most of whom I don't see any other time but the annual Brinton party.  As I list their names, I'll probably just say their maiden names unless for some unfathomable reason I happen to remember a married name.
Sherri LeBaron, Roma Lee and Phil, and Nancy; bottom right: Nanette Phelps Brinton, Lisa, Jan. 
Lisa, Phil; Dennis Flake and sister Sandy Risley; bottom right: Diana LeBaron Huish and her husband Dr. Huish (Erika's associate), Florence Brinton.
Milo R. LeBaron, Christy LeBaron and Denny Palmer (Wanda Palmer's son); Jan and Nancy; Reed Flake, Phil, Tom; Roma Lee and Nanette Brinton (Robert's wife)
Nancy and Milo R's wife; Diana and Sherri LeBaron; Sandy Flake and Karl; Jan and Kent.
As part of the entertainment, they had a member of each family come up and do the hula. (Deon was from our family)  It was so fun and cute until a flame jumped from one of the tiki torches and caught Steven Brinton's grass skirt on fire.  It was quickly doused and no one was hurt, but it was exciting for a few minutes.
All the cousins who were there: l-r front: Milo R. LeBaron, Diana LeBaron Huish, Karl, Dennis Flake, David Whipple; l-r back: Jan, Phil, Christy LeBaron Palmer, Sherri LeBaron, Florence Brinton, Lisa, Donna LeBaron, Nancy, Sandy Flake Risley, Susan, Willard Whipple, Doug Brinton.
Bottom photo is with spouses, and including Reed Flake who wasn't in the cousin picture but should have been.
Jeremy and Ellie were on their way back from a trip to Chicago, so even though Sunday was Ellie's birthday, we went to church with Joel and Stephanie and Crew and then had dinner at their house.
We went to Ellie's house, after they got home, to see her and take her birthday card, but she wasn't there, so we left the card with Tayte and went to Esther's house where they were playing a fun game with Rebecca and Polly that I had never seen before.  I can't even remember the name but it was a lot of fun to play.  Polly and Marlie are making puppy chow for a snack.
The next day, the 6th, was Harrison's birthday.  He wanted to go to Fuddrucker's for dinner, and they invited us to go along.  We went to their house afterwards for birthday cake and more game playing:-)
Rebecca stayed with us at Lydia and went with us to Chic-fil-A for lunch the next day before she left for home.
That night, Jeremy, Daynen, Jori, Victoria, Reygan, Tayte, Hayden and Ellie all came to visit us at Lydia after Ellie's concert.  We had a stuffed animal for her, but Jeremy told us not to go because there would be no place for us to sit at the concert.  So we got Dilly Bars and invited them to come to our house.  It was so much fun having them come by to see us.  I love having a place big enough for company.  And I especially loved having them bring little Victoria to see her great grandparents.
The next day was Stetson's graduation from the Sandra Day O'Connor Law School at ASU.  We are so proud of him.  He has worked long and hard for this honor.  Of course, Lindsay and Junie were there to cheer him on, as well as his parents and brothers.
After graduation, we all went to Joe's BBQ in Gilbert and the weather was so perfect that we were able to eat outside. 
We went home early the next day as it was Thursday, a Temple day. We got home in time to serve at the Temple.  The next day, Esther and her littles came to visit in Safford.  Fortunately, the weather was warm, though the pool was still pretty cool.  The kids seemed to enjoy it anyway. Esther brought some new pool toys 💦🐳


All the adults went to El Charro that afternoon while the kids had pizza at home.   Rachel was at Darlene's for a Mothers' Day/Birthday party dinner.
This fantastic mural  is on the wall of a building across the street from El Charro.  It is actually the first time I had seen it.  I was very impressed.  I think they might have one painted on Tyson's Edward Jones building sometime in the future.  Dad suggested a pioneer theme.

That day was Luke's birthday, but we didn't see him to give him his card until Sunday.  It is also the anniversary of the Golden Spike at Promontory Utah, connecting the rail lines coming from the West coast to the line coming from the East.  The reason this is significant to us is that Dad's great grandfather, Thomas Biggs, was there for that momentous occasion. I think he might be one of the men with a white beard, standing on the train at the right.
That night we played electronic pictionary.  Carson is holding up a picture of Rachel that Esther drew of Rachel.
Saturday, the 11th was Dallin's graduation from Architecture school in Syracuse, NY.  It has been a long, hard few years, but so worth it when he received his diploma.  We are proud of him and of Sara, for enduring the cold and snow along with everything else.  Rebecca and Scott and Polly went to be with him and his family for that event.  See pictures in Rebecca's section.
Sunday was Mothers' Day.  Dad started it off in a grand way for me, with flowers and presents...way more than I expected or deserve...but was so appreciative of.
Then we had the girls and their families over for dinner.  I finally was able to give Isabel and Luke their birthday cards!
On Monday, to thank us for the trip to Salt Lake for General Conference, Rachel and Tony and their children treated us to dinner at the Copper Steer, a steak restaurant in town that was the subject of a "Restaurant Impossible" episode on the Food Network.  Rylie and Brandon were actually at the unveiling of the restaurant after its renovation.  See pictures in Rachel's section.
May is the month of end-of-school programs, so we went to several.  On the 14th, we went to Brynlie and Camille's choir program at 5:30.  They were so cute, definitely the cutest ones in the whole 7th and 8th grades.  They sang and danced and we enjoyed it.  
We left to get a hamburger between programs, as Kirtlyn's program was coming up at 7:00, and saw Luke in the foyer, waiting for a ride home.  He had been to football practice.  It was so good to see him and get a hug.
Then at 7:00, the high school choirs performed.  Kirtlyn is in the advanced girls' choir, Belle  Canto, and she was so so good.  They also sang and danced and she looked so pretty and confident.  I loved seeing her smile.
The next morning, I went to Lindsay's choir program.  She had a solo part and was very good, as always. She has such great stage presence as well as a pretty voice.
At noon, Jenn and I went to Henry's music class talent show.  He did a couple of lines in a "Stitch" voice.  He was actually one of the two kids who prepared something ahead of time.  Most of them just used the hula hoop the teacher had in her classroom for their talent.
That evening was Carson's 6th grade orchestra program.  He plays the violin and it was a very good concert.  They played several numbers and we already could definitely see great improvement from his 6th grade Christmas concert.
The next day was our Temple day, then on Friday, we invited the kids to go to a session with us in the afternoon, with dinner at Jumbo afterwards.
On Saturday, Mary and Tyson and their family came over to help get our back yard "company ready."  They had an Edward Jones party here on the 25th, so they came to help weed and clean up so we looked good.  Carson mowed the lawns and I even had Brianna and Lindsay paint my welcome mat. 
That evening, it was breezy and Thomas and Jenn and Maya and Henry brought over a kite.  They walked from their house, around the block, with it in the air the whole time.  I even took a turn.  I don't think I've flown a kite since I was a kid!  It was fun.
On Sunday morning, before we left for church, Tayte surprised us by dropping in on his way home from a road trip that he had taken all by himself.  He went from Arizona to Kansas and down to Texas and home.  More about it in Jeremy's section.  It was good to see him for a few minutes before he had to get on his way home.
Sunday was Thomas' birthday, so we had him and his family for a meatballs dinner.  Rebecca and DeWitt also came.  Scott and Polly were at Lydia, so they were alone.  Then Mary and her family came over for cake and ice cream.  Kirtlyn, Brianna and Thomas entertained us with a song.
On Monday, was Maya's 3rd grade music program.  She was so cute and the program was fun and well planned.
Tuesday was Alex's graduation from preschool.  He was so darling.  They all were.
On Friday, we headed back to Gilbert again for Harrison's missionary talk the following Sunday.  On our way in, Joel called and said they were going to see Aladdin and wondered if we wanted to go with them.  We really enjoyed the movie.  It was fun and and I sat with a smile on my face the whole time.  This selfie is outside of the theater when we left.
We ate at a little 50's diner near the theater at the San Tan Mall.
The next day, Dad was craving a peach milkshake from Chick-fil-A, so we asked Esther if her family would like to join us.  They did, and so did Polly.
That afternoon, Dad bought a huge umbrella for our back patio and had Joel and his boys help him bring it in and set it up.
Joel bought Dad a beanbag game for the back patio.  He and Crew and Dad broke it in, then Polly and Levi played later.
On Sunday, we went to Harrison's ward to hear him speak.  He did such a good job.  His talk was thoughtful and had stories and quotes and examples and still retained a "Harrison-ish" quality.  He's going to be serving in a special ed school and also as a Temple worker in the baptistry.  Esther had green chile burros, rice, watermelon and brownies for everyone after church. 
After Sacrament Meeting, we went to Primary where Esther is the singing lady.  It was so much fun to watch her in action, and she got everyone involved...all the children and even the visitors.
That night, Joel and Stephanie and Crew and Levi came over and brought steaks for us and Polly.  We sat on our patio and even though the sun wasn't shining, we put up our umbrella and enjoyed the tiny lights on it.
On Monday, we went to Aladdin again!  This time with Esther, Shad, Harrison and Polly.  I enjoyed it just as much the 2nd time.
Rebecca's boarders came over one day to see Dad's raised garden.  They were so polite and such cute old cowboys even though one is Italian.  They are supervisors at the mine.
Henry had been sick, actually throwing up for 3 days, and Thomas was in charge while Jenn was at Girls' Camp.  Thomas took Henry to the doctor and they sent him to the ER for an IV.  Although Thomas had kept giving him fluids at home, Henry just threw up everything and was getting very dehydrated.  After he was rehydrated at the hospital, he felt better and was able to go home.  We stopped by on our way to the Temple to bring him a medicinal dragon instead of a medicinal milkshake.  In the picture, he is showing where they put needles into his arm.
Isabel asked me if her future sisters-in-law could have her bridal shower at our house, and I said,"yes," knowing that her mom and aunts would totally have to help me clean house for the occasion, which they so willingly did.
The shower was so nice and I was glad to meet Logan's family.  His grandmother, Sister  Carpenter, I had met before.  In fact, she shared my hospital room at Southside District Hospital when I had Daniel and she had Logan's mom.  We never in the world imagined that our grandchildren would someday get married and we would have joint great grandchildren!
Lots of good refreshments and many many gifts.  I think Isabel liked her afghan...I hope she did.
Relaxing after the shower.  Esther practiced using her visual aids to teach a song to her Primary.  It was fun to learn it with her.  Rebecca will be in her ward Sunday, so she's planning to help.
~NATHAN AND SHAUNA~
One time when we went to Omaha to visit Nathan's family, they took us to the King Fong Cafe in downtown Omaha.  It was very good and very oriental.   Josh's pictures of it give an idea of how it is.
Along with beautiful buildings, Josh also posted some pictures of a place that really needs help .
And some lovely homes.
Mothers' Day was really special for Bethany.  They celebrated with some friends.
Nathan's lawn is getting green and thick.  Luckily, he has a handy yard man.
And Shauna and Hannah are painting the basement.  Spring has definitely sprung at their house.
Nathan and Shauna's anniversary is the 3rd of June, so they had a pre anniversary date to see Miss Saigon at the Orpheum.
JOEL AND STEPHANIE~
When Stetson finished all his course work at law school, Lindsay welcomed him home with a congratulatory house.
We ate Sunday dinner with Joel's family, and besides good food, Junie is always entertaining and sweet.
Gathering at the theater in Phoenix where Stetson's graduation was held.
Receiving his hood before receiving his diploma.
Pictures with his family
Stetson posted this thank you note after his graduation.

And again on Mothers' Day.
Luke, Bridger and Crew at Esther's house.
With us at the diner after Aladdin.
Setting up the shade umbrella

~DANIEL AND CONNIE~
The big news from the Daniel and Connie family is that Shadrach and Hannah are getting married!  Their date is December in the Provo City Center Temple.  Congratulations!  We are so happy for them.  We'll have another Hannah in the family, but we've survived having two Lindsays so we'll be okay. 
Devynne and Brock love taking their kids to all the places in St. Louis that are perfect for families like the zoo and parks and museums.
This is Emma and her friends at the Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park.
The Colorado weather has been just as variable as ours.  One day, the cows were resting in the tall grass and flowers, and the next day a snow storm!  Then more cloudy skies.

Notice the deer in their meadow.
Daniel and his kids are building a two-story barn...with Aila's help.
She also likes to help with the baby goats.
Analynn's Amazing Connie Cake for her birthday on the 24th.
Speaking of Amazing Connie Cakes, Shannyn started a Connie Cake site on Instagram.   These are her first posts.  I always look forward to months in which Connie has a birthday cake to make.  She always perfectly tailors her creations to the person whose birthday it is.  These were in 2015 for Albert, Daniel and Shannyn.
~REBECCA AND SCOTT~
Rebecca got her hair cut.  So cute.

While she was at Lydia, she helped clean house.
Dallin's graduation card.
Sara Konopnicki graduated from Institute, and her two favorite care givers/friends were there.
Rebecca and Scott bought another motor home.

Rebecca, Scott and Polly went to Syracuse to attend Dallin's graduation from Architecture school.  They had some good, quality time to spend with Parley and his family while they were there.

Dallin and Sara's cute house in their darling New England neighborhood.
Dallin's thesis project:
Receiving his hood
Graduation pictures with the family
More of Syracuse
It truly is A Wonderful Life.
Polly was part of Isabel's support group for wedding dress shopping.
Lillian and Kelin took a trip of a lifetime, back to their mission in the Philippines.  How great that they could experience it together and that it would be so meaningful to both of them.
After graduation, Dallin, Sara and Parley took some vacation time to see some beautiful sites.   This is Watkins' Glen where there are 19 waterfalls.
They also visited Montreal
Then in August they are moving to West Virginia where he has a position with an Architecture firm.
Harvey and Lucy are such great playmates for each other.
Polly at Chick-fil-A with us and the Browns.
And she and DeWitt participating in Esther's singing time.
She and Levi tried out our beanbag game.
Rebecca and Rachel helped me clean house...they basically did all the work...for Isabel's shower. 
~JEREMY AND ERIKA~
Erika posted this picture along with some very loving thoughts about Jeremy.  It made me smile.
Jeremy and Ellie and Tayte took a trip to Chicago again for a FAME event and went to see Hamilton again while they were there.  Ellie posed with some of the same actors she had posed with before.  They are getting to be friends :-)
Here they are at the temple.
Daynen went as part of the FAME crew, so he was there too.
He made a short film that is based on the cartoon Danny Phantom.
They are getting all their floors replaced and it looks absolutely fabulous, but they have run into some serious floor-cracking issues that had to be fixed first.
At their Sunday night visit to Lydia.  I loved seeing all of them, especially our 9th great grandchild, Victoria.
Reygan and friend at a concert
Reygan's most recent post of a drawing.  I have missed seeing her work.  She is so so good.
Introducing Victoria to the Diamondbacks.
Beautiful baby
Tayte's solo road trip to baseball games in Kansas and Texas.  He even had to wait out a tornado in a Dairy Queen.
Hayden and his friend came to Safford but I didn't even know they were there until I saw this picture that Thomas took when they went to El Charro.
This is a picture of Ellie burning all her middle school papers and projects after her promotion into high school.  Her school doesn't have 8th grade graduation, so when I asked Jeremy for a picture, this is what he sent.
With their puppies.
At Harrison's luncheon.
~RACHEL AND TONY~
At Sara Konopnicki's Institute graduation
Luke turned 16 this month.
Isabel is riding one of Logan's horses.
Brynlie and Camille are learning how to fold the flag in preparation for girls' camp.
Their May birthdays...Isabel turned 19 on the 9th, and Luke turned 16 on the 10th.

Luke asked for a fruit plate and Isabel asked for cheese biscuits that Rachel had Mary make.
Screenshot from the Food Network's Restaurant Impossible episode when they went to the Copper Steer.  Rylie and Brandon were actually in it and their pictures are screenshots from the show too.
At the Copper Steer when the Alders treated us to dinner.
Wedding bells are ringing for the Alders too.  Isabel and Logan Sherwood are engaged and getting married on June 12.  They seem to be very much in love and I have confidence that they will be happy together.
Logan's house in Pima.  His dad is a champion rodeo performer.  He is a roper.  All those saddles are just some of his winnings.  I think he has been world champion at least three times.
They had their engagement pictures taken
Wedding dress shopping.  
She had a great panel of judges/cheering section.
Luke, Bridger and Crew at Esther's house.
While they were there, Isabel and Harrison played and sung together.  I love to hear them.
At Brynlie and Camille's choir program.  I was right, wasn't I?  They definitely are the cutest ones.
Brynlie and Camille at Girls' Camp.   Jenn went to camp as a ward leader and she saw way more of Rachel's girls than she did of Kirtlyn, so she took pictures of them.  
Skit night.  They got home just in time to go to Isabel's shower.
Isabel's bridal shower-the " S" is for Sherwood.
 
Just chillin' after the shower.  
After the shower, Logan came by to see what they got!  Oh my goodness, they got a lot!
~ESTHER AND SHAD~
Soren at Little League
Game night
Harrison's birthday cake
Fuddrucker's for Harrison's birthday.
When Esther came to visit, she brought some new pool animals...a shark and a turtle.  She and Dad blew them up with his compressor.
The kids had fun in Grandma's pool and on Grandpa's playground.
Brody made palm hats.
Brody had an appendicitis scare, which thankfully, he didn't have after all.

Bridger's choir concert.  I just watched a recording, but I was very impressed.
Bridger's football practice.  He's the one in the middle with his hand to his face.
Helping Isabel look at gowns.
Singing together.
Chick-Fil-A with Dad for a peach milkshake.
Esther is such an entertaining singing lady in Primary.  We went there after hearing Harrison speak in Sacrament Meeting.
Esther had a green chile burro supper after church.  Joel, Stephanie, Crew, Jeremy, Erika, Hayden, and Polly and DeWitt all came, along with us, of course, and his aunt Sydney, who lives there.
Our second viewing of Aladdin, this time with the Browns and Polly.
At Isabel's shower.  Afterwards, she demonstrated her singing time learning aid.
They went home right after the shower because Marlie had a guitar recital, I think.  Anyway, Esther Marco Poloed her practicing...wow!  She is so good.
~THOMAS AND JENN~
Thomas and Jenn gave Kirtlyn tickets to a concert in SLC, so they took her and a friend.  They also got to see Jenn's brother Steve and his family while they were there.
Thomas also saw Scott Welker and a former Missionary companion, Elder Scoville, and the girls got to go to the Salt Lake Temple to do baptisms.
Maya on Esther's shark.
Hyrum came to the temple for his first baptism experience, along with Thomas Wyatt.  They came on a Thursday afternoon when we were there, so we got to participate.  
Mothers' Day pictures
On Mothers' Day the Aaronic Priesthood, including Hyrum and Thomas, came into Relief Society and quoted a scripture from the Doctrine and Covenants.
Jenn's Mothers' Day post
Also her post about her own grandparents after a visit to her aunt who lives in Phoenix.
And Thomas' Happy Birthday post.
We had Thomas and his family over for meatballs for his birthday.
One windy day, they flew a kite and came over and let me fly it for a little while.  Fun.
Maya's choir concert.  They asked kids to bring pictures of their family members who have had cancer.  Maya brought Mary and Anna.  They were projected on the walls on either side of the stage.
Henry's first grade music talent show.  He said some lines in a "Stitch" voice and they sang some songs as a class.
Thomas and his friends at Preston's 20th anniversary of his heart transplant.
Henry has had a rough month.  He fell and cut his chin and had to have 5 stitches and then ended up the month sick to his stomach with some kind of bug and had to go to the hospital.
In fact, he was sick while Jenn and Kirtlyn were at Girls' Camp.  Daddy had to be Mommy, Daddy and nurse for Henry.
Kirtlyn was on the 4th year adventure hike, so Jenn only got to see her one day before she left.  Then Jenn was gone to Safford when Kirtlyn came back to camp.
Henry had to go to the emergency room because he was throwing up for 3 days.  They thought he had appendicitis, and insisted on doing a CT scan even though Thomas was quite sure he didn't have it.  The scan  took hours and hours to prep for because Henry kept throwing up the fluid he had to drink,  but they were able to determine that he didn't have appendicitis and that he just needed to be rehydrated.  As soon as he was, he started feeling better.  Tyson, Rachel, and Rebecca and Polly all came to cheer him on and support Thomas.  Mary was the one who alerted everyone and then she went to Thomas' house to stay with his kids.  Jenn even left Girls' camp a couple of days early and drove down by herself to be with Henry.  All the men said it wasn't necessary, but I would have done the same thing.
It was a pretty rough day and night, for both Henry and his dad.
He is glad his mom came back from camp to be with him.
At Isabel's bridal shower
~MARY AND TYSON~
Carson and Ethan going to the Fathers' and Sons' outing.
Brianna and Lindsay and friend doing a rap/hand jive sort of song at school.  It was so cute and clever.
Ethan watching his mom make cheese biscuits for Isabel's birthday.
Jared's school program.  It was a patriotic theme, really good.  He had a solo part and I'm so glad his mom recorded it because we weren't able to go as it was a temple day.
Brianna's research project about the 60's.   She interviewed me via text message.  I shouldn't have told her as much as I did...I thought she would just include the answers to her questions and not all the editorializing I did.  I hope no one actually reads all her quotes.
Alex playing t-ball and Jared playing coach-pitch.
Tyson went fishing with some clients and it looks like they were very successful.
Lindsay's choir program in which she had a solo.  Beautiful girl, beautifully sung.
Carson's strings concert.  Look at the difference in his face from before the concert begins to after it is over.
Alex's preschool graduation
Ethan taking care of Alex's monster from preschool graduation.
Brianna's 8th grade graduation.  She got the outstanding performance award!
Mary and Tyson hosted an Edward Jones party and cookout at our house while we were in Gilbert.   They came the week before and slicked up our lawn and back porch and also contributed this camel floatie.
In Jared's singing time, his singing lady had pictures of some of the dads singing and let the kids hold their dad's picture while they sang.
On Monday, Mary and Tyson had another cookout swim party with Thomas' kids.  They need to use up all their leftover food from the Edward Jones party.
Tyson and Carson went on a survival hike where they survived on what they could find or catch.  They even took water purification pills!  While they were gone, Mary's kids took advantage of the bed space.
At Isabel's shower
~MISSIONARIES~
Docker at the Boston Temple. Docker is enjoying his mission to the Chinese people in Boston and even found that the dreaded winter wasn't as bad as he thought it would be.  I love that he sends pictures.
Zoom in and read the names on the sign.
Albert is doing well in California, working hard and seeing some success.  It is interesting that he is working quite a bit with a Hmong branch.  Until Shadrach was called to be a Hmong missionary, I had never even heard of them, now Albert is working with them too.  I guess there are more Hmong around than I thought.  After each letter, Albert leaves a spiritual thought with us.  This week it was about being bold with our testimonies.
~SOMETHING TO SMILE ABOUT~
 May pays tribute to mothers, so I found some mother-appropriate things to smile about.
Don't you love this?
I especially like the fortune teller.

One of the best things about mothering is grandmothering. I just put on a small selection of funny pictures of the grands and great grands.  There are more in each of the family sections.  Check them out.
I love this picture of Stetson trying on his robes for graduation.  Notice his socks with a hole in the toe and the basket of toys beside him.  This is a perfect picture of a hardworking married student/father.
 Bridger and Luke and Crew did a hilarious syncronized swimming routine of which this is a screenshot.  I laughed out loud to see those macho boys posing and swimming in unison.
Ethan is watering his lawn. 
And great grandmothering too.
Little Lucy is well taught. She blesses her food even in a restaurant.
 Those monster tires are bigger than he is...not to mention the monster truck.
 Parley loves playing in puddles.
Other miscellaneous funny pictures
Nathan sent this picture of the queen that Palmer had sent him.  I'm not even a chess player and it even made me laugh.
~LAST WORDS~
In observance of Mothers' Day, I have included some of my verses on motherhood.  I am so blessed to be your mother/grandmother.  It is such a joy in my life.  Each one of you is a precious gift from the Lord and I love you with all my heart. 
                           Lament of a College Graduate

           I received a college degree,
       With honors, no less.

                    But I spend my day doing laundry
                And my house is a mess.

                                  I sit on the floor with a babe on each knee
                  Whom I’m trying to dress.

                              I sing about piggies and birds in a tree,
               And I must confess

                               That college prepared me inadequately;
                     But I’ll make it, I guess.

                                    And if someone should ask if I’d do it again,
                  I’d quickly say, “Yes!”


A Woman’s Choice

              In today’s world, we have a choice;
              For that, all modern women rejoice.

      No longer am I tied to home;
                      I’m free, they say, to wander and roam.

                I can make my way in any career;
                      I can achieve success in any sphere.

                     No longer limited to hearth or child;
                          No longer required to be meek or mild.

     With the eagles I can fly;
              There is so much I’d like to try.

                      So as I consider life’s progression,
                                    I must choose the most rewarding profession;

                         One that is greater than any other.
                           I choose, of course, to be a mother.



 Family Home Evening


It will be worth it, the prophets assure us,
So I take them at their word;
Tho’ the children are rowdy and noisy
And I have to yell at them to be heard!!

We sing the same song every week,
It’s the only one Daddy knows;
Then as we say the opening prayer,
Nathan hits Daniel in the nose!

They wrestle and fight like a couple of puppies
When Daddy tells a story,
Then everything comes to a screeching halt
While we make them say “I’m sorry!”

The baby cries and wants to be held
While we’re trying to play a game;
I act like a circus animal
As the rest shout out its name.

I feel like a monkey in a zoo,
And I wonder if I’m doing things right;
Do other families have this much trouble
When they have a family night?

Then a voice seems to whisper in my heart,
“The Lord knows you’re trying;
Even if the kids are rowdy
And even if the baby’s crying.”

Someday they’ll remember this
And carry on the righteous traditions
Of teaching their children the Gospel
Even in less than perfect conditions!

To My Children-in-law

As all of my children were born,
They brightened my life with love;
 A precious gift to our family
From our Father up above.

To me, they were close to perfect,
And I prayed that they would find
A mate to love them as much as I
And to their faults be equally blind.

So I put in my order for nine more children,
A set to match my own;
Who would prepare and wait until the day
My little ones were grown;

For children who would be righteous
And loving, wise and kind;
And if they were also beautiful,
I really wouldn’t mind.

So, thank you for loving my child,
And for all eternity,
I’m so glad that you are a part
Of our forever family.


Grandma’s Chair

There’s always room
In Grandma’s chair;
There’s always a warm, soft
Welcome there.

In Grandma’s chair
There’s usually a crowd;
Sometimes we’re quiet
Sometimes we’re loud.

Whether reading stories
Or singing a song,
Or playing a game,
We always belong

In Grandma’s chair



Grandma’s Favorite

“Who’s your favorite, Grandma?
Which grandchild do you love best?”
I tried to answer seriously
Though a smile I quickly suppressed.

“Of course, you are my favorite,
It is you that I love best.
And because you are my grandchild
I have always felt so blessed.

“I’m not just kidding, sweetheart,
What I’m saying is really true.
Each precious child is my favorite…
Especially YOU!

You are all our favorite!  Even if you think someone else is, you are right, because from time to time, each kid is that someone else.  I have had people ask me how we can love so many children as much as they need to be loved.  It is not even an issue.  It's not as if there is only so much room in our hearts and it gets full to capacity and all the leftovers aren't loved as much.  With each child, our hearts grow and our capacity to love grows.  Every one of you occupies your own place in our love and affections.  It gives us a glimpse and a little understanding of how Heavenly Father can know and love all of us.


















No comments:

AUGUST ~BAPTISM FOR THE DEAD ANNOUNCED BY JOSEPH SMITH

     One of the most precious doctrines of the Gospel is the doctrine of vicarious work for the dead.  August 15, 1840 is when Joseph Smi...