Friday, October 06, 2006

Fall Storms


Picture from our master bedroom doorway looking toward the mountain this morning. Woke up this morning to the clouds covering the tops of all the mountain and they've stayed all day and it's been beautiful.

Couple of cool work updates. My hospital has recently been recognized on several levels that are noteworthy. I spent the day Wednesday in Denver for an awards ceremony for Colorado Parent magazine, recognizing a number of organizations they have judged to be the best for family friendly work environments. Ours is only one of two outside of Denver, ( http://colorado.parenthood.com/articles.html?article_id=9879 ). Just a note as you read the article, when you see common law partner, that is not the same as domestic partner. In spite of pressure I've maintained a policy of legal marrage required to get benefits. In Colorado, you can be legally married as a man and a woman just by saying you are. A judge is not required.

The second thing is I just learned yesterday that our hospital will be awareded the Design Award in Chicago at the conference for the Center for Health Design and Healthcare Design Magazine. Last year the conference was in Scottsdale so I missed just by one year. Either way it is a very prestigious recognition that is awarded to a single organization for developing an exceptional employee experience along with exceptional architecture. I submitted our application for consideration several months ago kind of at the last minute and was told yesterday that we won. I'm trying to get Connie to go with me to Chicago in November for the awards because neither of us have ever been there and I've heard its a great place to visit.

On other news, we're doing well in school and the kids keep asking when the snow will come. We will be going to the "Great Ski Swap" tomorrow very early in the morning at the local beer distribution warehouse where I'm told you can get the absolute best deals on all things skiing.

Maybe we'll buy extra for visitors should we be so blessed. Anyway, all other things are normal...Albert isn't feeling well, Shannyn is almost 5, Analynn is almost pottytrained and Emma is almost officially a rug rat.
- Daniel

5 comments:

Evans Family said...

Daniel, the picture was beautiful, beautiful, Thankyou for pictures, and man o man, you must be somebody pretty important up there. It sounds like your Hospital is doing great. Connie you really should go to Chicago, it is Awesome!! and the marriage thing is pretty weird:-)
Love, rebecca

Mom & Dad said...

Congratulations on your awards! You are the best. The hospital really got a treasure when they hired you. I hope they know that. We really miss your family and it's nice to have an update on how they are doing. Have fun in Chicago. Connie, you definitely ought to go, if just to see Daniel shine. That is, of course, if you can find someone to watch the kids. Since you don't live in St. Johns,and everything isn't within walking distance, it probably wouldn't be a good idea to just let Devynne watch them:-)If you did that you would hear about it years later and feel guilty:-(

Connie and Daniel Biggs Family said...

Guys my mom can't go because it's Shannyns B-day on the Monday that my dad is gone. And Shannyn is having a b-day party on that day.
-Devynne

Connie and Daniel Biggs Family said...

Actually she can go because the Chicago trip is in November around Mom's birthday, not day after tomorrow which is Shannyn's birthday. I'll be in Atlanta for a few days over Shannyn's birthday starting tomorrow. I know I should talk to my daughter in person and not over the blog but the blog is the parental communication medium of the future...By the way, great ski sale this morning. We got almost everything we needed.
- Daniel

Esther said...

Daniel
Im so proud of you. I wish that we could come and see what you are all about. I think you should go to Chicago although, I never got over Mom and Dad leaving me on my 16th Birthday to go to Hawaii. Even if it is Hawaii. Hope Albert feels better.

AUGUST ~BAPTISM FOR THE DEAD ANNOUNCED BY JOSEPH SMITH

     One of the most precious doctrines of the Gospel is the doctrine of vicarious work for the dead.  August 15, 1840 is when Joseph Smi...