Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Christmas Zone Conference


We had our Christmas zone conference last night. It was great. Remember that I asked for ideas? Well, I passed along your suggestions to Sister Terry and she used a lot of them. There were 4 zones together so we got to see some of the missionaries we have loved and lost: Elder Carrell, whom you know, of course, Elder Van Orman our cool former district leader, Elder Jensen, our sweetie pie whose father died while he was here, Sister Summers who is an orphan and supported herself and sent herself on a mission. Anyway, we had a nice dinner, had a spiritual message from Pres. Terry, watched a movie, had letters from their parents and received the beautiful calendars that Jeremy and Joel prepared. Thank you for your ideas. The Elders had a wonderful time and kept thanking us over and over for the calendars. They loved them.
href="http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger/2967/3348/1600/157254/CIMG2259.jpg">
Here is the cold, deep fried turkey we had. It is garnished with grated cheese and green and black olives. We also had bacalhau com natas (dried cod with cream) that wasn't too bad. It was like Orzanigachel with fish instead of ham. Lots of potatoes and cheese. How bad can that be, right? They served a wonderful potato and spinach soup first, then the bacalhau and salad, then the cold turkey, mashed potatoes (no gravy) and rice with almonds. Then TONS on desserts. There were darling menus at every place and a gift of candies all wrapped in red paper. The stake RS in a town near Lisbon did all this. It was really great.
href="http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger/2967/3348/1600/987748/CIMG2272.jpg">

Here is one of the zone leaders at the party in his cool Portuguese hat.

And finally, here we are...Estamos muito bem, as you can see. We had a great time.

7 comments:

Connie and Daniel Biggs Family said...

I rarely get a chance to read or comment about your mission because of my fluency ( or my lack of) on the computer. And of course my lack of time , to take the time. Daniel keeps me informed though, so I usually know what is going on. I'm up early this morning by myself and thought I'd take a momment. It is nice to hear about your Christmas party and to see you both looking and sounding so happy. Thanks for sharing your experience and for your example to me and my family. THe people of Portugal are being blessed by just having you there. I love you and pray for you.

Love, Connie

Rachel, Tony & Family said...

What pictures were on the calendars? You look great.

Mary, Tyson and Family said...

You guys look so good! I wish we could have known about the letters the elders received from their families, we could have sent you letters to have there. :( Was the turkey cold on purpose? It looks pretty anyway! Well sure love you
guys! Merry Christmas!

Esther said...

Ya,
Why didn't you tell us about letters? But you know how much we love you and appreciate you right? Great pictures

Evans Family said...

It sounds like your on vacation. Mom it sounds like you take all of the missionaries under your wing, and miss them when there gone, and treat them like your own. I'm sure they love it and I miss it.

Love, Rebecca

Mom & Dad said...

The turkey was cold on purpose! But there's nothing wrong with a little cold turkey.

Stephanie and Joel Biggs said...

Looks like fun! Have a Merry Christmas Season!

AUGUST ~BAPTISM FOR THE DEAD ANNOUNCED BY JOSEPH SMITH

     One of the most precious doctrines of the Gospel is the doctrine of vicarious work for the dead.  August 15, 1840 is when Joseph Smi...