Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Read & Eat

Esther wanted some more ideas for book clubs. Look back on my last blog on books way back in the archives. Here's more: "The Count of Monte Cristo", "Skipping Christmas", "A Lantern in Her Hand", and "Mount Vernon Love Story". Anybody else have any ideas?

Also, is anyone interested in exchanging healthy recipes? I'm back on the wagon after falling off a few times during the holidays. I have several great smoothies recipes that my family loves. My goal is losing weight, saving money, and maximum nutrition.

25 comments:

Stephanie and Joel Biggs said...

sure -- I'm always game for a good recipe idea!

Esther said...

Thanks Shauna for the book ideas? Is anyone better than the other?
Thanks Steph for emailing me some of your book ideas too. We just read a good book in our book club. Its called The Memory Keepers Daughter.

Evans Family said...

I have 2 words for you...Tobasco Sauce!!


explination: There was a physcologist on tv, talking to overeaters, and he told them, that they really could eat whatever they wanted they just have to have a spoonful of tobasco sauce first. (I eat my meals with none of the sauce, I only use it if I want to snack at the wrong time). He said that it is a form of punishment for eating the wrong way. So I bought a bottle of the stuff and it sat on my counter unopened for 4 days. And it was working. I didn't want to take a spoonful, so I just opted not to eat wrong. Then I broke, I had to eat something. I actually ate it first and then took my spoonful, and I'll tell you I have never been more yuckafied in my entire life. It is a punishment. And it turns your stomach enough that you don't want to eat anything after taking it either. It burned my lips, burnt my esphogas all the way down my stomach, but I'll tell you what, I will think twice about it next time. The only thing is you have to be committed to taking the spoonful, otherwise it doesn't work.

Recipies yes.

Rachel, Tony & Family said...

I'm afraid I'd gain even more weight on that tobasco thing. Before too long I'd be starting every greasy fried meal with a spoonful of tobasco and chasing it down with a shot of cheese. Does Coca-cola play any role in that diet?

Shauna said...

Kingfisher Smoothie (named after my best friend)

1 blender 3/4 full of fruit (you create the mix)
1 C yogurt (Dannon Light-n-Fit vanilla is our choice)
1/2-3/4 C juice (we like OJ & 3/4 C - it makes it a little easier to drink through a straw)

Add-ins: (whatever you want-they add extra nutrition & taste)
2 T ground flax seed
1 t vanilla
Splenda or honey to taste (or none)
1 t acidophilus powder
2 t lecithin
1/4 C aloe vera juice
2 t wheat germ
4 t whey powder
4 t natural peanut butter
4 t brewer's yeast
4 t liquid chlorophyll

This is a combination of everything I know about smoothies from my friends, "The Abs Diet" book, & "1-2-3 Smoothies" by Rita Bingham. I'm always open for more suggestions of sneaking in nutrition. This is for a blender-full. I make it up & just stick it in the fridge for meals (breakfast) or snacking. It usually doesn't last longer than a day.

Or here's another one I got from the newspaper:

2 C pineapple juice
2 C yogurt
2 C strawberries, partially thawed
4 bananas

My kids still like the Kingfisher Smoothie the best, though.

Shauna said...

Esther - I like "The Prize Winner of Defiance, OH" because it's about a homemaker who creatively takes care of her family.

Rebecca & Tony or Rachel - I'm afraid! I think that only works for women addicted to sugar. Nathan would have no problem with it. And I'm sure Coke is OK if it is Diet. ;-) I think the best thing is to keep controlling myself at the grocery store & praying. I'm going to Overeaters Anonymous (OA), actually, with a friend. It seems to be helping me.

Mom & Dad said...

Shauna, those are called "Vitaminas". We used to drink one every morning while I was in Brasil--that was a mission rule. Try one with milk and avocado--not bad if you like avocado. As for books, sorry, "O Livro de Mormon" e a "Liahona" are on my list right now. Mom has different ideas though.
Dad

Mom & Dad said...

Rebecca, Dad says you ought to try Piri-piri from Portugal. That way you could add one more "yuck" to your "yuckafied."
I have so many favorite books that it's hard to pick one or two to recommend. I loved Exodus by Leon Uris, also The Promise and The Chosen both by Chaim Potok. Then there are the classics (by now, anyway) A Tree Grows in Brooklyn and Maggie Now by Betty Smith, So Big and Showboat by Edna Ferber. And oh, so many more.

Rachel, Tony & Family said...

Hey, Tony just ordered that book, The Abs Diet and the The Great American Detox Diet. And that was Tony that commented before. He puts tobasco on everything. That or Louisinna hot sauce.
I love the smoothie thing. Any more??
Rachel

Mary, Tyson and Family said...

My Fav. book...Tales of the 4th grade nothing. Superfudge too:)

Esther said...

Mary you are soo funny!
Esther

Evans Family said...

Mary,

I'm sure that those are the books that Brianna is already reading on the toilet...

and Tony. I thought that everybody hated tobasco. You must be weird.
We'll see if you can take it by the spoonful.

Shauna said...

Tony - what are you detoxing from? Do you have a problem with a controlled substance? ha ha... I'm personally detoxing from sugar - ranks right up there as the hardest thing I've ever done. If anyone's interested, sugar has the same general composition as heroin. SCARY, huh?!
You'll have to tell me if that is a good book (Amercian Detox) - I really liked Abs Diet, especially because it was written by the Men's Health guy. I tried the ultimate power smoothie on p. 136 - not exactly an Oreo Blizzard, but I'm trying...Here's my face );-Z_ as I'm trying to change. (That's supposed to look like a Calvin & Hobbes.) No, seriously, I'm too old & fat to live this way anymore. My body doth protest too much.

Esther - a good book that I'll repeat for book clubs is "Read It and Eat." We have it at our little library. It gives 4-5 suggestions for each month & recipe & party ideas.

Mary - I love children's literature! My favorite all-time book is "Ella Enchanted", way before it became popular & made into a movie. I kept telling my girls to read it (I ordered it from their book order!) and they weren't interested until years later & they were so excited that the movie was made from a book. Go figure...

Tom - I'd rather eat guac with my healthy blue corn chips! But I'm up for anything at this point.

Another good book is literally called "You've Got to Read This Book!" It's about all these important people & what their most influential book was in their life - "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" was one, Susan, as well as "Man's Search for Meaning" and "7 Habits of Highly Successful People." Steven Covey has a section in there. (He didn't pick his own book, of course.) There are about 60 (?) people who were interviewed. It was extremely interesting to me.

Sorry this is so long, but I'm feeling lonely & needing some support. I love to hear all of your comments. Our family is struggling right now. Our mottos of "Things can always be worse" & "We get better with age" are clashing.

Evans Family said...

Shauna,

Things always seem worse when you are on detox. A must read is You can be Happy No Matter What. By Richard Carlson, PhD
If you don't get it, I'm going to send you one. It has some amazing thoughts and ideas. I think everyone should read it.

I hope you feel better. and if your lonely call me or e-mail me, and you can't ever comment too long, we enjoy reading.

I believe that about sugar and heroine, I just have never heard that before. Do you really have a overeaters annoynomus there? I think that it's an awesome idea. I hate having everyone of my thought be about food. I'm either thinking about what to eat or feeling bad about what I just ate. It's too much of a challenge I'm sure.

I love you and think that you are an incredible person

Rebecca

Shauna said...

Rebecca - Thanks for commenting. I will look for that book at the library. Is this a church book? Our library actually has some church books, but not a ton. Our OA actually meets at the library.
Nathan said I scared everybody away - which I already know I'm scary. I know I'm just a sister-in-law, so I appreciate that you care. My family isn't very supportive & our family hasn't been doing well for awhile. Nathan just said "Life isn't supposed to be this hard." So if Mr. Pollyanna is down, then you know things are pretty bad. I don't have enough time or space to write what's wrong & it wouldn't be good for our privacy issues, but we would appreciate your prayers.

Evans Family said...

Shauna,

would you quit it about "just and inlaw" We are a family. I don't consider you anything but a sister, I love this blog, because we are staying in touch way better.

The book is not an LDS author, but is still so good. In fact I'm just going to send it, I have an extra one and you are going to want to mark it all up, so wait for it in the mail.

I'm sorry things aren't so great right now, we will surley add your family to our prayers and you don't scare anyone away, be yourself, that's what we like. Good job on going to OA meetings, take notes and tell me any new ideas.

Just remeber through your greatest trials will come your greatest strengths. See your families issues from Heavenly Father's point of view, and feel his love it never waivers.

I love you and feel for you,

Your sister,
Rebecca

Erika said...

Shauna,
I don't really read, but I have read the first part of the Weigh Down Diet and You: on a diet. Weigh down has some good concepts, and I have really enjoyed You on a diet. Prayer will definately be the biggest help. Also Muscle! Cardio is great for burning calories, but you need to boost your metabolism. Muscle burns more calories and that is why as we get older and less physically active we loose muscle and and our metalboism slows down. I have found it very interesting to see how our bodies work and how different foods effect our hunger, moods(seratonin), and energy. It is a good read. Alos medicaton has a definate roll with weight. As far as recipes go I love the cook book Cooking for health and flavor, by Patricia Jamieson. You can find it on Amazon for under $5. I have loved every recipe we have tried and we do the waffle recipe every Sat. And STAY AWAY FROM TRANS FAT! I know everyone has heard me say that way too much, but it is true. We have an activity this month on Fitness and Nutrition and we are sharing healthy recipes and I will pass the email along.
As far as hot sauce goes, Franks is the best, try it Tony. And Tony, cold turkey on the Coke may be scarey, have some poncos handy :) Start with diet Coke. You're not a rat so it wont give you cancer.
Well Shauna, I know you guys will endure this time and you can count on our prayers. Call me when your lonly.
Erika

Rachel, Tony & Family said...

Erika, I am totally on board with the no trans fat thing. I watched the You the owners manuel on Discovery Health I loved it. Infact Rylie watched it with me, we both thought it was very interesting. Tony is on Diet Coke but I still worry about the caffine and the "Diet" part. So only if you are a rat it would be a problem? Have you looked at the You on a diet book?

Rachel, Tony & Family said...

Erika, I am totally on board with the no trans fat thing. I watched the You the owners manuel on Discovery Health I loved it. Infact Rylie watched it with me, we both thought it was very interesting. Tony is on Diet Coke but I still worry about the caffine and the "Diet" part. So only if you are a rat it would be a problem? Have you looked at the You on a diet book?

Shauna said...

Thanks for your prayers & fasting. We did get a small paycheck unexpectedly today. We gave our last $$ to fast offerings on Sunday, so we felt like the widow's mite story. We are both feeling a small bit better & our kids are acting better, too.

I'm also staying away from trans fat & high fructose corn syrup, which causes your hunger mechanism to stop working - which is why we can eat so much junk and not feel stuffed! I have all the "You" books, but haven't read them all yet. I'll check those others out at the lib.

I would love to add healthier recipes to our family book that Dev worked on so hard. I have a few to try before I'll recommend them.

We are having a food storage Enr. this Thurs. We just got a cannery here 2 yrs ago, & nobody's really hopped on board yet. But we have an awesome FS&P leader who is teaching me tons. She wrote 60-pg info for 3-ring binders that we're handing out. We just made 30 copies today that about killed me. But it's worth it. Chow for now.

Connie and Daniel Biggs Family said...

Honestly I haven't read this blog until today because I thought it was just about reading and eating but when I saw there were 20 comments I knew there must be more so now I'll add my 2 cents...
I like the book mom gave us for Christmas sometime ago. I know it's for kids but the story should be read by adults and often because unfortunately I think we're harder on ourselves than we need to be. The book is "You are Special" by Max Lucado. Remember it's the one about the Wemmick's who put gray dots or gold stars on people. A great re-read. Lucado also wrote another that I haven't read yet called "Traveling Light." It's about shedding those perceptions and fears that we carry around when we really shouldn't. He's a minister at some church in Texas but he seems to have a good angle on all this stuff. Also, not to add to the challenges of dieting too much but ever since Shad and Tony turned me on to cayenne pepper, a steak isn't a steak without a little dash to bring out the flavor. - Daniel

Erika said...

Speaking of steaks, we finished off a fabulous steak dinner last night, thanks for that Nathan & Shauna. We have enjoyed every morsel of our Christmas present. Thanks again!

Shauna said...

Erika - I ordered "Cooking for..." today for $1.75 from Amazon; I'm excited to get it. I also got "Weigh Down Diet" from the library; I like it so far, even though I'm not sure about eating whatever you want. I don't know if I can control myself. How do you? You can tell yourself all you want, but the fact remains that sugar, fat, & salt taste good! :) Tell me your hints.

Rebecca - Our library only had that book on tape, & we don't have a tape player anymore.

Erika said...

Shauna-Weigh down does have some very good concepts. I think you just need to use your best judgement on what you eat. We know that real fats (not manufactured fats) are okay in moderation as well with real sugar. But I love the moderation concept. If chocolate is a weakness, or cream cheese, have a little, if you completely cut it out you will binge. I can't really say I have been good at moderation right now. Food is definately a comfort, so that is where the prayer comes in. That is another important concept in that book. That it is okay to ask Heavenly Father for help with your health. Also I have found when I am not really obsessing about what I can or can't eat I eat less in general. We just need to quit thinking about it so much.
I am excited that you ordered the cook book I love so many recipes from it. Let me know when you get it and have tried some of the recipes out.
Erika

Shauna said...

Erika - I got my book today! It made my day. It looks really good & guess what?? They have a sugar cookie recipe in there! (p.221) I'll try it next time. I'm having a hard time with "Weigh Down" because she doesn't eat healthy. But I like the God concept.

AUGUST ~BAPTISM FOR THE DEAD ANNOUNCED BY JOSEPH SMITH

     One of the most precious doctrines of the Gospel is the doctrine of vicarious work for the dead.  August 15, 1840 is when Joseph Smi...