Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Happy Birthday Erika!




Happy Birthday, Erika!

I never knew you were a TV star until I saw this picture on my computer (it makes me wonder what other things I could learn if I just knew what was on my own computer). You have been a great addition to our family. I appreciate the way that you bring a fresh perspective to things, and the way that you have always been a friend to Shauna.

I hope you have a great day.

Nathan

14 comments:

Mom & Dad said...

Happy Birthday, Erika. Remember the Christmas you spent with us before Jeremy got home? That was when I knew you were like a daughter to us. You were part of our family before Jeremy even made it "official." We love you and we are in awe of all your talents and amazing abilities. When we can't figure out how to do something, we know Erika will be able to do it...even if it's just helping us find our way someplace. You have a great sense of direction that I, for one, admire, along with all your other gifts. It looks like you have passed these along to our grandchildren, too, for which we are grateful.
Have a great day, Erika. We love you. Tom & Susan

Shauna said...

What the heck! I thought I would be 1st. Oh, well...Erika, you are awesome! I love how you are so friendly to everyone, even when "certain" people tell you to stay away from other "certain" people. ;-) I like that you are assertive - getting those good deals & also standing up for what's right. I like your funny sense of humor. I think you are a fantastic homemaker and mother. You are great at home repair, decorating and design. I love how you do your research and learn new things. You are a great gardener and even sacrificed your favorite pair of jeans for my garden in AZ - what a woman! You are always willing to help someone out. You have too many talents to name them all, but what I admire most about you is that you have changed your life so much - became a member, did everything right, had a bunch of kids :-), and are truly a modern-day pioneer. You are the only one in the Biggs family who is a convert, which shows how special you are and that you have overcome so much. I remember Jeremy going to a young single adult meeting & it was about getting married. He said the spirit kept saying "Erika, Erika, Erika." So he made a great choice in a wife. YOU ROCK! Love, Shauna

Stephanie and Joel Biggs said...

Well I don't know how to add much more than what Shauna said. So ditto to her comment and have a great day!
Happy Birthday!

Esther said...

Yo!
Erika I too like my mother appreciate your sense of direction among the many other talents. I remember when Kami and I were lost somewhere in Phoenix and for the life of me could not find my way home. Out of everyone that I could call I told Kami that we should call Erika because I knew that you could get me home. I didn't even know where I was I just kind of described the things I saw around me and you knew exactly where we were and where I had to go to get home. I also remember when I left home to go to MCC and I hung out with you and Jer alot. I will always appreciate you making me feel like I was wanted and helping me feel not so lonely when I was alone. Fun memories. I hope you have a wonderful day!
#7

Rachel, Tony & Family said...

Hatch a bird Egg Erika!! If there is anyone in the family I have the most crazy, and fun, and memorable, and dangerous memories it is with you. Remember the dam at Mary Hilda you were afraid to walk across but then jumped of the cliff into the water like it was the low dive. It took me all day to jump. The car stuff we used to do, you know, I shouldn't mention because Ma and Pa would get mad at that stuff, plus we don't want to give our neices and nephs- any ideas. Our Colorado trip, you had all the patience in the world teaching me to ski and when I said "I'm done!" not to mention cold!! You told me too bad were going again tomorow, which I'm glad. Every time we did anything together we had a blast. I remember when you changed your oil in your car that's probably when I thought this girl can do anything and "knows everything":) if you didn't know you found out. I love and admire that about you, even now when my inlaws have paint questions or ask me if I know where I could get something, I tell them "I'll ask Erika." You are always so willing to help anyone WITH anything. You are fun and spontaneous. I also remember the strggles you had with asthma watching you do your breathing treatment at night and the puffer you let me try it one time. It doesn't taste good. I'm glad we have so many memories together I was there when Jer first realized he was in love with you. And there when he purposed, 12 a.m. on a chilly Colorado morning after driving all day. We all had a blast on that trip. Erika, I'm glad we are friends and even more glad you're my sister.
I hope you have a great day!
love ya,
Rachel

Erika said...

OK, for one, where the heck does Nathan get all of these pictures!? I recognize where a couple of them came from - not one of them - but how did you get a picture of the Newscast one? Anyway, we all know and love Erika and how well she loves the spotlight on her birthday. Actually, she may or may not even look at this today because she doesn't like the spotlight so much. She will at some point though and I know will appreciate the comments made so far. It's funny how I've been with her all of this time and feel like I know her, but to see her from someone else's perspective is like being reintroduced to her.

Erika, you really are amazing at how you are able to do so much. I feel sometimes like a jack of all trades - expert at none, but you are pretty much an expert at all trades. It's funny how you can become interested in something, you'll do your research and then you seem to know everything about it. It was funny to hear these weird building words you and the contractors were talking about when we were doing our addition, and how you tell our dr's what's needed to cure what ails us. All you need is their signature so you can get the medicine you already know we need. It's funny how trusting dr's are in you because they can see that you know your stuff. And I'm sure you take landscapers by suprise when you ask them what the best chemical organic stuff (she used some word I don't remember) to use to prevent growth of something in places we didn't want it. I'm sure you understood their answer and why that was the answer.

It seems like the tradition of these birthday comments to relive some memories of life with the birthday girl/boy. I think I'm safe to assume that I have the most memories with you, but a few pop out like our huge mudfight, our first visit to the Phoenician (see my comment on Daniel's Birthday) which visit we were escorted from the premises, our second visit where we were not, our first baby, our roach infested apartment that we left one night after one crawled on you while we were sleeping, your puffer, our alphabet game, all of our letters while I was on my mission, the rest of our kids being born, adopting Sarah, all of her puppies, living by the Temple, going to the Oakland Temple together, doing batisms at the Denver Temple with the Hamptons, being impressed by your courage to knock on your Dad's door in Denver, NO Trans Fat, our awesome trip to New Hampshire and Maine, Living in DC, trig class at EA, Psychology at EA (come to think of it, that's who dr. House reminds me of), Visiting your dad's mother who's gone now and his grandmother-our kid's great great grandmother who is still alive, riding the Metro in DC, having you meet us at the airport and other places in DC even while you had two babies in the car, your beat up gray Nissan sentra, looking at your eyes in the rearview mirror of your sentra on a rainy day while I was in another car behind you, driving with Rachel & Justen so I could propose to you with a modest yet heartfelt choice for a ring, the look on your face when I woke you up, watching our house being built the first time, Hayden's flood from upstairs, two more floods from upstairs, white water rafting in Durango, hot springs in Pagosa Springs, running into my mom while buying a pregancy test at Wal Mart in Thatcher, watching a few minutes of Ocean's 11 and Count of Monte Cristo every night until we fell asleep only to continue the next night, coming home how many times to a started project that we'd have to finish that night like cupboards in the laundry room, closets torn out, etc., always trying to understand each other a little bit better and realizing there's still so much more to learn.

I know you don't like the obligitory compliments and comments just because it's your birthday. But I think it still offers an opportunity to gloat a little bit over you. I'm grateful for you and I'm thankful that we are together, parents of 5 almost perfect kids. I hope you have a great birthday even though it seems like birthdays are sometimes the least fun or celebretory days for the birthdayee. I will always love you and be thankful for you.

Love Jeremy

Evans Family said...

When I think of you, I think of "PARTY TIME", you are always good for a party. I love it. I can always count on a good laugh from you. Like everybody else I think that you are an amazing woman. I will tell you something that you will probabaly laugh at, but it totally impressed me. Before you were married, you were driving here from CO. (by yourself)and you had a fender bender. You jumped out of the car and immediately got the person's insurance and everything else you were supposed to do in that situation. I didn't know that you were supposed to do that, so when I had a fender bender I did the same thing, cause I learned from you. One of the things I admire most about you is your independence. You can do anything, and you're not afraid to try anything new. You are alwaying willing to help, infact you make it seem like it's really no big deal, when really it is to the person you are helping.

Have a great day tomorrow :-) :-)

Love ya, Rebecca

Ps I didn't eat any trans fat today just for you!!!!

pss: I think it's ok if you don't like your birthday. Where is the written rule that you had to love getting older, or whatever bugs you. You are a Biggs and we just love you. And you can tell that Jer sure does, I loved his note to you. It's amazing that he could remember all of those memories. Oh yeah. Scott and I had a great time with you in DC. You really did know your stuff. Our favorite place was Mt. Vernon. I just saw a picture of you over looking the Patomic holding a baby. Was it Reygan?

Connie and Daniel Biggs Family said...

Happy Birthday Erika!! Thank you for being our tooth fairy. Thank you for bringing your family to visit us. Thank you for putting this BLOG together so that Nathan can wish you a happy birthday and all the rest of us. You really have made a huge impact on our family togetherness. - Love the CO Biggs

Mary, Tyson and Family said...

Hey Erika,
you are probably not glad you put the blog toether for this very reason and I know you told me not too but I want to anyway,... Happy Birthday! Thanks for being such a good friend! I never feel like I have to have a reason to call you but I can just call to chat.. Tyson and I love hanging out with you and your family you guys are always so much fun. Tyson and I always talk about how we want to be like you and Jeremy because you really seem to like your kids and enjoy doing things with them. I think that's why you have such good kids! Hope you had a good day!
Love you lots!
-Mary

Thomas Jennifer Biggs said...

Erika,
I do not think I have bragged about any single person more in my life! You are so amazing, I do not know how you do it all! Truly the most complimented items in my house are the clock you made and the sign you made! I love it when I get to say, " my sister-in -law" made that!
If I am ever having a day where I feel like I have too much to do and I just want to give-up, I just think, " remember Erika did twice this much before before breakfast."
When I grow-up I want to be like you: beautiful, charming, friendly, outgoing, giving, considerate, and TALENTED!! Right now I am just so grateful that you consider me a friend and lucky to have you as family!!
Jeremy is blessed to have you,
Happy Birthday!!
Jenn Biggs and Family

Mom & Dad said...

Erika, even if you just hate this whole birthday thing, read these wonderful, sincere comments and in a down time remember them. This is an opportunity for all of us to let you know how amazing we think you are. Even in a loving family, those sentiments are not always easily expressed. It is good to have this birthday-blog-tradition to give us all the opportunity to say those things. We love you, Erika, whether it is your birthday or not.

Esther said...

Jer, that was the sweetest thing I have ever read! I loved reading all the memories you and Erika have together. Im impressed
#7

Nathan said...

Thanks a lot Jeremy...Shauna asked why I didn't write something as nice as that. You're making us all look bad.

Mom & Dad said...

I guess Jeremy has raised the bar and for good reason. It's fun to read all these past "happenings" and see what you guys were really up to. I suspect it's only the tip of the iceberg though and it's probably better we don't know everthing that went on in your lives--and you don't know everything that went on in ours. That way we can all live in a state of bliss. One of the best words I know in Portuguese is "saudades". It's hard to translate and get the right feeling, but all of these things bring back lot's of good memories. Thanks Erika for being a part of them. Happy Birthday to you.

AUGUST ~BAPTISM FOR THE DEAD ANNOUNCED BY JOSEPH SMITH

     One of the most precious doctrines of the Gospel is the doctrine of vicarious work for the dead.  August 15, 1840 is when Joseph Smi...