
We were looking in the paper today and came across this article. It made our "Heart Tickle"-as Jer would say. Look at that handsome man. He's ours!
http://www.azcentral.com/community/mesa/articles/0508mr-bannermesa0509.html
http://www.azcentral.com/community/mesa/articles/0508mr-bannermesa0509.html
8 comments:
We ARE lucky that he's ours. All our lives we've depended on him. Not realizing then, what an accomplished surgen he was, we did know he was a loving and really smart. We would go to him for the smallest scratch to the, "Grandpa I think I have a tumor?" With it all he would give us a big hug and kiss, and claim to get our sugar or salt. There is nobody like our Grandpa he's the very best they come. We are just blessed that we got him before anyone else did!!
Not to mention the beautiful, smart, loving Mother he gave us!!
Rachel
Yeah, Grandpa is the best Grandpa ever! He's one of those guys that when people find out you are "one of Rudge's" it makes you proud! I guess I never realized all that Grandpa did for that hospital now I really am sad that they are building a new one. I am glad that Brianna was born there so I could always tell her she was born in Grandpa Hiatt's hospital!!!
-Mary
Thank you for posting that article, Erika. Jeremy was the first of our children to be born there. Dad & I and our first four children were all born at Mesa Southside Hospital (the old, decrepit one that Mesa Lutheran replaced). That shows you how old it was and how much it needed replacing! We have many memories of that hospital and even of the building of it, with Grandpa so involved. Grandpa has had more influence on the medical aspect of the Mesa area than any of us realize. He was one of the founders of the Desert Samaritan hospital too. And he was one of the main ones who kept the Chandler hospital operational for so long. He has been missed, even if those who miss him don't realize it!
I was lucky to start my hospital career in Grandpa's hospital. I started there in 1991 and worked with nurses who started there 30 years before and knew Grandpa. He was a legend...literally. He had already moved to ShowLow and they missed him plenty. They used to talk about how nice he was not only to his patients but the nurses and how he treated them like equals. Too often these days we have doctors who forget how to just be regular people and to those nurses Grandpa was just regular people but also an exceptional surgeon. In fact it was Grandpa who called the then CEO of Mesa Lutheran and told him he needed to hire his grandson...me. That CEO later promoted me to Director then Chief HR Officer and remains a good friend. I owe my beginnings to Grandpa and his hospital and so that building has a special place in my heart too. I was still with Banner when we discussed what to do with Mesa Lutheran. To upgrade it to today's hospital standards would have cost more than to build a brand new hospital. That coupled with many of the doctors moving out to the Greenfield and Higley areas meant that even if we wanted to re-model we would not have the doctors living and practicing in the neighborhood. Karl Hiatt is just one example. I remember being in the room when the Banner execs where talking about doctors moving away and Karl's name came up as one that if he moved, it would be a huge blow to the hospital's viability. Not the plastic surgeon revenue but his leadership. Karl was and is a huge influence on the medical staff at Mesa Lutheran, especially the surgeons so if we was out, the writing was on the wall. Now with the new hospital built right near Karl's new office and many other doctors, it is positioned to really succeed. The plan for Mesa Lutheran is to convert it to offices for Banner Corporate and business operations so it will still have a huge employee population there. Sorry for rambling...but I feel very blessed to have worked in that place knowing all along the influence Grandpa was there. - Daniel
I left my appendix at that hospital. But more than that it felt like a beacon, when we were going to Grandma's house. And still when we are on the 202 freeway I always look for the tallest building in East Mesa and there it always is, and I know that I'm almost home. I sad that it won't be there anymore.
When I first saw the picture of grandpa I was scared, because I thought that he had passed away and no one told me, so I was actually relieved when I read that it was the building and not the man. I love being a part of the Hiatt legacy. I love being loved by grandpa. I'm sure like I'm sure all of you think you are the favorite, that I'm the favorite. He has a way of making every single person feel that way. I hope he knows how much we all love him, and are proud of everything that he has done.
Rebecca
I'm jealous that you have such a good grandpa!
He's yours too, Shauna. I know for a fact that you are one of his favorite granddaughters-in-law!
Well, that's what Nathan said, too. But Grandpa Hiatt just says that about everybody, plus I didn't grow up with him so it's not the same.
Post a Comment