Sunday, August 05, 2007

Portugal 8-5-07

Some recently harvested cork trees. See how red the trunks are. These are very near our house.







A field of sunflowers by Caldas da Rainha...for Allison. We were just speeding by, so they are blurry, but you get the idea. Dad wouldn't stop (he said it would be dangerous to pull over on the freeway...go figure).









My fish skeleton. Just the head (and eyes) and tail and bones left. Yum.








A couple of the lighted boats (barcos) that floated by in the procession honoring "Nossa Senhora da Boa Viagem"(Our lady of the good voyage).


Elder Jackson blowing out his candles with Elder Flowers looking on. Actually, Elder Jackson's 21st birthday is tomorrow, but unlike the Portuguese, he doesn't think it's bad luck to celebrate it early. He has divisions tomorrow and we have to go to Lisbon on visa-procurement duty.

5 comments:

Stephanie and Joel Biggs said...

Grandma, did you eat the eyeballs?

Docker

Rachel, Tony & Family said...

It's always fun to see pictures. And even better when you are in them.

Thomas Jennifer Biggs said...

Are we allowed to make requests? Send us some pictures of your apartment. Also of the church bulding. Is it small like the Cleveland Ward bulding?
Thomas

Evans Family said...

Oh!!! the sunflowers are beautiful! Thank you grandma. Its so much fun to see a whole field of them-allison

Mom & Dad said...

Docker, are you kidding??? I hope you think your grandma is smarter than that!!! Even Grandpa didn't eat the eyes. I wouldn't even look at the eyes. They leave eyes on a lot of the animals they cook, like shrimp, rabbit, fish. I thought maybe we would get used to seeing dead eyes looking at us from a pot, but we don't. Even when I was cooking hundreds of fish at the soup kitchen, all with eyes staring at me, I never got used to it.
Yes, Thomas, I will send some pictures of our apartment and the church. I'm glad you want to see them.

AUGUST ~BAPTISM FOR THE DEAD ANNOUNCED BY JOSEPH SMITH

     One of the most precious doctrines of the Gospel is the doctrine of vicarious work for the dead.  August 15, 1840 is when Joseph Smi...