Wednesday, October 10, 2007

P-day trip with P&S Terry

We visited the royal carriage museum with President and
Sister Terry yesterday. It was amazing. They wouldn't let us take flash photographs, though, so I had to only take dark videos. But when we were leaving I saw this picture in the foyer and so took a picture of the picture so you could see what it really looks like inside. Sorry about the videos. I would have removed the one below but I can't figure out how to do it.
This is the carriage museum where all the royal carriages that were made during Portugal's golden age are kept and displayed.

5 comments:

Mom & Dad said...

I thought I had turned off the camera but evidentally it was still on, taking pictures of the floor. As interesting as the floor is, I wouldn't have taken a picture of it knowingly.

Shauna said...

those carriages are so beautiful! i wonder how long it took for the people to make that.

Love From Hannah
P. S. Grandma, if you find out how long it took them and how old the carriages are tell me.

Rachel, Tony & Family said...

Yeah I would like to know more about them too. Were they really used. For what and when?

Shauna said...

I just hope the people didn't go hungry so their royalty would look nice.

Mom & Dad said...

The carriages were used for royal processions, for birthdays, for visiting royalty, holiday parades, anytime the kings and queens, princes and princesses or other nobility wanted to be visible. Many of the coaches were made in France or Italy, depending on which king was in power and where he liked to have things made, but many of them were made in Portugal. These were made during the golden age of Portugal and the people were generally prosperous. Of course there were many who were not, but, in general, when the kings were prosperous, so were the people. When Portugal lost it's world-wide influence, they lost wealth too, of course. The kings were not as rich, and neither were the people. The next-to-the last king was killed in 1908 by people who didn't want a monarchy, and his successor ran away and hid two years later. So that was the end of Portuguese monarchy. Since then, though, Portugal has been a poor country, with many struggling workers, a few wealthy land owners, and not much world-wide influence at all.

AUGUST ~BAPTISM FOR THE DEAD ANNOUNCED BY JOSEPH SMITH

     One of the most precious doctrines of the Gospel is the doctrine of vicarious work for the dead.  August 15, 1840 is when Joseph Smi...