A street sign. Almost all the street signs are beautiful azuleijos.
Sunday, December 16, 2007
Portuguese azuleijos
In Portugal, many of the buildings, even walls, and street signs are decorated with azuleijos (ah-zoo-LAY-zhoos). These are decorative tiles. Some of them are floral or geometric, but some of them are real works of art, hand painted and either in blue and white or color. Here are just a few examples from around here. There are so many more. We have had a picture of the Mesa Temple done in azuleijos which you will see when we get home, and some other things. Anyway, we have just fallen in love with the Portuguese way of decorating their buildings.


A street sign. Almost all the street signs are beautiful azuleijos.



A street sign. Almost all the street signs are beautiful azuleijos.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
AUGUST ~BAPTISM FOR THE DEAD ANNOUNCED BY JOSEPH SMITH
One of the most precious doctrines of the Gospel is the doctrine of vicarious work for the dead. August 15, 1840 is when Joseph Smi...
-
An amazing gathering of the Tom and Susan Biggs clan! There were 76 out of 91 of us there. And we really had a great time. Everyone ...
-
The reunion this year was great, as always. It was so relaxing not to be in charge! Jan and Kent were our leaders and they did a great job...
7 comments:
Great pictures mom and dad.
Hey can we get an official decision on Christmas. I like to plan, and like to know what to plan on. Last year it didn't matter as much because everyone just gave to who they gave to whenever. But if we are all going to be together, (hopefully) then we should all do the same(ish) thing. I asked Allison what she thought, to get a big kid point of view and she said she thinks we should do the couple exchange and not worry so much about the kid present thing. Erika said she loves Allison for that. So another idea was to do a couple gift and a family gift. "family gift" meaning something for the whole family like a video or game. What about an ornament exchange and a family gift? I don't know. For that matter I was happy the way it was from the beginning so anything you decide is good for me I just want to know... so what do you all want to do? Or mom should you just decide something and tell us. Or anyone decide maybe we should take turns deciding it seems to change every year.
love you all and can't wait to see you
Rach
Okay, she's right it is time to decide and since I just read this and I'm next to comment I choose me, to decide, so here it goes... Let's do all of this when mom and dad get home, so Saturday night? Let's stick to the couple gifts, it keeps it simple. And as far as the kids go how about every kid who is going to be there needs to bring a wrapped DOLLAR STORE present, meaning your budget is a $1.10 no more no less. We will play a right and left game with two groups...a girl group, and a boy group so if you’re a boy, bring a boy gift and if you’re a girl, bring a girl gift from the dollar store. So everyone who comes with a present leaves with a present. I'm sick of this up in the air stuff so everyone plan on this unless...can we just plan on this?
That sounds like a fun, fair idea Mary. We like it.
Great!!! We are planning on it! I will have a "couple gift" for Rebecca and Scott Saturday night when mom & dad get home! If the kids want to do the cusions left and right game they just need to bring a wrapped dollar store gift! The left and right game is an unaggressive game and will be perfect for a joyous family atmosphere! Great job deciding Mary! We will be there!
Jenn
Yeah, Mary way to decide! That sounds good to me I'll "plan" on it.
I like the decision too. You kind find all sorts of stuff at the dollar store. Those are usally the presents that my kids play with the most.
The pictures are so Awesome! I love to see the different ways of decorating and I can't wait to see the temple. For some reason it reminds me of Grandmother's house.
Love, Rebecca
sounds good mary. I will plan on that.
E
Post a Comment