Thursday, August 28, 2008

Last week, Dad and Rebecca and I went to St. Johns to attend the funeral of Francis Day. It was held in the downtown building, which looks great, and we saw a lot of our friends. Among the 3 of us, we were able to remember most of their names. They had all gotten older. It's a good thing we haven't! After the funeral, we drove around town and saw some of our old stomping grounds. It was nostalgic and fun for us. Here are some of the pictures we took.

We stopped by Wilbur's and the drug store and took some pictures. We even took a picture of the produce department for Joel. Now that IGA has taken it over, it looks almost as good as when Joel was the produce manager when he was just 16.


Our house. It looks good. The apple trees are still there, and the junipers. There is a house, now, in the spot where you all built your forts.

St Johns High School Seminary building, where Nathan, Joel, Daniel, Rebecca, Jeremy and I spent a lot of our time...Also, Brother Palmer, who proudly claims to have had a hand in raising all the Biggs kids!

Here is Rebecca in front of St. Johns High School, where, for those of you who don't know, Nathan, Joel, Daniel and Rebecca graduated, and Jeremy attended at least one year.







The last stop, of course, was to the SJ stake center. I don't think I have ever, yet, seen as beautiful a building. Here are some pictures of it. And Dad, in front of his office door.


5 comments:

Esther said...

Seeing the house just makes me want to knock on the door and see what it looks like inside. I want to go see the green and yellow bathroom...wasnt it green and yellow paisley or something like that? and the planter holder thing as you walk in the front door and the kitchen. I remember all of the places in the picture. The high school aditorium always seemed so huge and magical to me as a little girl. Is it really bigger than any other aditorium? Thanks for the pictures and Becca, you look great.

Shauna said...

I remember all those places, too - maybe even more than the younger clan. Bec - love your dress! How was the funeral?

Jeremy said...

Rebecca, you look FABULOUS!!!

Evans Family said...

I was just looking at the pictures and loving St. Johns, but totally dumping on myself, so thanks for the nice words. I have to admit that the reall reason that I wanted to go with mom and dad is to 1. be alone with them which hasn't happend.....ever. 2. to see people that you normally wouldn't see just driving through town. and 3. to see my old stomping grounds. I loved loved it, but I knew that I wanted to go home to my family and to my home in Safford. Mom kept saying that she loved the safety of the mountains all around us in Safford, and how that feels like home now. I agreed with her. Then we ate in Show-lo at a super great authentic mexican resturant. It was so yummy. I was telling mom and dad when Daniel and I would go to the cannery in Snowflake and then take the long way home through Show-lo and go to burger king and get "bacon doulble cheese burgers, onion rings, and a large pop." I'm sick just writing it. As we were looking for a place to eat mom threatened me with Burger King. I told her I would have to stay in the car and drink water. Like Esther said. I felt like knocking on the door, then even had the same door. And we saw BR across the street. Just kidding. It was so nice to go back, thankyou so much mom and dad, I had a wonderful time with you

Rebecca

Nathan said...

Thanks for the pics. The downtown church building brings back a lot of memories--most of them pleasant. Joel and I used to run home from church on Sunday so we could watch the Lone Ranger. That is when our house was just down the street. Of course, I remember when we had priesthood meeting in the morning, then we went home, and came back for Sunday school (where they served the Sacrament), and then back in the afternoon for Sacrament meeting. I even served the sacrament in junior Sunday school to all of the kids.

Well, enough of showing my age...

AUGUST ~BAPTISM FOR THE DEAD ANNOUNCED BY JOSEPH SMITH

     One of the most precious doctrines of the Gospel is the doctrine of vicarious work for the dead.  August 15, 1840 is when Joseph Smi...