I have to say, November is one of my favorite months, not only because it is my birth month, but because of the beautiful weather, the last peaceful breath before the frantic Christmas season, and a time to remember to give thanks for all our blessings…personal blessings and family blessings. Dad and I are so thankful for each one of you, that you are striving to keep the covenants you have made with the Lord and with each other. That is our only sure protection in this increasingly sinful and scary world. I am thankful for the Gospel of Jesus Christ and for the knowledge and understanding it gives us of our Heavenly Father and our Savior and how to live so that we might have joy in this life. I am especially thankful for your earthly father. What a joy my life has been because of him. You are blessed to be descended from such a man.
Roma Lee sent a picture of the cabin in November
Our November birthdays are few, it is true, but important nevertheless. I used to share November with Grandmother Nora, but now, I share it with our sweet granddaughter Allison. The only recent pictures I could find of either Allison or me were with our sweethearts, but that is appropriate, don't you think?
I turned 68 on the 8th. I am nearing the end of the youth of old age! Soon I'll be in the teenage of old age right along with Dad.
I have been busy making ornaments for Christmas. That is one of my usual November projects.
A few days before my birthday, Rebecca, Rachel, Mary and Jennifer bought lunch for me and we had balloons and presents and strawberry cheesecake. I was having so much fun that…you'll never believe this…I forgot to take pictures!
So, the next day, when we went to Mesa, and Esther had arranged with Stephanie and Erika to take me to lunch, I was determined not to forget, no matter how much fun I was having. I especially loved having Crew and Stetson join us. You know how I am about handsome young men :-)
Nathan came into town that evening, for some business meetings, so he took us to a birthday breakfast the next day, the 8th.
That afternoon, Dad and I went with Nathan, Joel and Jeremy to eat lunch. What a great day…good food and wonderful company. Some of my favorite people…and you know how I am about handsome mature men:-)
After lunch, Dad and I went to see Grandma and Grandpa. I felt the need to pay homage to them for my birth and my upbringing and the heritage I could pass along to you.
When we got home that night, we found that some busy little angels had left me a birthday greeting.
For my birthday and Dad's and my Christmas, we got new furniture.
Another birthday present I have been enjoying is a nail-shellac kit. I have such flimsy, peeling nails that I tend to keep them hidden as much as possible. Since I have received this gift, I have been wearing nail polish and have even received the first-ever compliment on my hands. The girls have been enjoying it too.
For my birthday, Reygan gave me this drawing she made of my senior picture.
The pool cover was broken, making it so that we couldn't open the pool. So we got the pool cover guy over to fix it. Now I can start swimming again. I've missed it.
Our neighbors, the Laytons, moved in November, taking their cats with them. I think they must feel really disoriented because they have lived in our back yard, and window sill, since they were born.
On the 15th, Rebecca invited Dad and me to her house for a Thanksgiving dinner. It was great! Turkey, dressing, potatoes, gravy, cranberry salad, ham, corn, rolls and pumpkin pie and peach cobbler for dessert. She and her girls went all out just as if it really were Thanksgiving.
The following Sunday, we had Rachel and Tony's family for dinner.
Then the next Saturday, we had Thomas and Jenn's family over for Dad's ham beans and hot rolls.
The next Sunday was the Richins family's turn to come to eat with Grandpa and Grandma.
One of the fun things I got to do in November was work on costumes for the Penny Whetten play that is coming up the second weekend in December. The hat Jared is wearing is for Brianna's crow costume and the apron is for Kirtlyn's Emerald City servant costume. They are doing The Wizard of Oz.
THE BIGGS FAMILY GRAND CANYON REUNION
(Mary is going to do some editing of the family pictures she took and then send the best out to all of us. So, Bethany, don't feel bad that Palmer can hardly be seen, and Jenn don't feel bad that Thomas Wyatt is turned away, and Stephanie don't feel bad that Stetson is hiding behind Connie, and Esther don't feel bad that Shad is hiding behind you, and Connie don't feel bad that Shannyn's face is behind Thomas W. who is turned around. That's actually amazing for 63 people! I don't know how she'll fix all that but I have faith in her tech abilities.)
We have been working and planning for this reunion all year, and now that it has come and gone, I feel a vacancy in my mind…a big hole where plans and thoughts about the reunion used to reside. Oh, it was a great 3 days! Everyone who could, made the trip to be together. Nathan and Shauna's family had the farthest to come, and they brought everyone, even their newlyweds. Daniel and Connie's family also had a long trip, including Devynne and Brock who came down from Utah (Parker was missing, of course). We were so glad they were all there, including Joel and Stephanie's family (who were missing Levi), Rebecca and Scott's family (they were missing Allison and Taylor and DeWitt and Dallin), Jeremy and Erika's family, Rachel and Tony 's family, Esther and Shad's family, Thomas and Jenn's family and Mary and Tyson's family. There were 63 of us altogether. 63 out of 69…an amazing percentage.
We met on Wednesday afternoon at the Grand Canyon Hotel in Williams, where everyone received their Biggs hoodies, room keys, meal tickets and train tickets. We were all assigned rooms on the same floor in the same hallway, and we had the use of the big conference room on that floor for our family gatherings. The kids felt perfectly at home up and down the hallway, meeting to play, even after their families had gone to their rooms for the night. We felt almost as if we owned the hotel. In fact, we never even had to produce our meal tickets, just breezed past and said "We're with the Biggs group."
That afternoon, we got a bonus, the chance to go on the "Polar Express." We hadn't planned on that at all, but Dad mentioned to Joel that he would like to look into the possibility, and Joel found that we could actually go on the day we arrived, so they made the arrangements and everyone dressed in their pj's…I should say "some" dressed in their pj's. Most of the kids did, but only some of the adults did.
There were waitresses on the Polar Express who served hot chocolate and cookies and read us the story. They saw to our every need.
The kids were so excited when we arrived at the North Pole. They were watching for it long before we got there.
Not only the kids, but the "grown ups" too.
Thanks to Erika for these pictures. In fact, if you see any really good pictures on this blog, they were contributed by or copied from one of you. The blurry ones are mine.
It was magical when Santa, himself, got on the train.
He passed out bells and Camille is testing hers to see if she can hear it. You can only hear it, I understand, if you believe.
After we returned from the North Pole, we went to dinner in the Hotel restaurant.
We even went to dinner in our (their) pajamas!
That evening, after dinner, we met in the Grand Canyon room for fun and games. We put on The Polar Express, but no one watched it. Some of the kids worked on a train ornament, others played games and others worked on a puzzle that Daniel and Connie brought, and some just played around.
It was a special treat when we saw Devynne and Brock arrive safely. They had driven down from Provo and didn't get there until late that evening.
The next morning, after breakfast, we went to the Wild West Shootout. It hasn't changed in 8 years! But it was still a lot of fun.
Then we boarded the train for the Grand Canyon. We had the whole car to ourselves and had plenty of room, with as much hot chocolate, juice, and snacks as we could possibly want.
Of course, Maya found Shadrach and attached herself to him as if no time at all had elapsed since she last saw him in August, was it?
Our other set of twins.
We had a darling conductress, who graduated from NAU in mathematics and was so friendly and helpful. She really earned her tips with us!
As soon as we got there we received our sack lunches…ham or turkey sandwiches, chips, cookies, apple, gatorade. More than I could eat, but I saw most of the kids enjoying it all. Isn't this panoramic view of us eating lunch at the Grand Canyon a neat picture?
We had about 3 hours to roam around and take pictures and even hike at the Grand Canyon. We couldn't have asked for a nicer day. It was cold, but not as cold as we thought it would be, and it was sunny and calm…not a breath of wind. Perfect.
Pictures of each family:
Some of us (them) actually hiked into the canyon a little ways.
Obviously, the Grand Canyon can be a dangerous place!
It can also be a peaceful place
And definitely, love was in the air…
Dad and I stayed mostly in one area and enjoyed taking pictures with whomever came our way and wanted a picture with the old folks.
We left the Grand Canyon that afternoon, tired but happy.
The return trip featured train robbers instead of Santa Claus, but the kids seemed just as excited to see them!
As soon as we got back to the hotel, we ate dinner.
Here are four of the most beautiful girls I've ever seen!
Then we gathered in the Grand Canyon room for a family meeting.
Our sweet children gave us gifts of appreciation. Mary had each one write us a thank you note and gave them to us in this beautiful Christmas box. I think I will keep them in it and every year when I get out our Christmas decorations I can read them again.
Amazing Connie, with the help of everyone in her family, she assured us, made this beautiful train quilt as a wonderful memento of our reunion. She said it is for picnics and such, but there is no way I'm going to put it on the dirty ground and let people spill soda on it!
Joel bought Dad and me walking sticks and had everyone sign them. I think when I use them instead of my cane, I will feel like a hiker instead of like a crippled, old woman. 
We watched the reunion video that I had spent months making, then had the mothers of our missionaries, DeWitt, Levi and Parker, give a short report on their sons.
Besides finishing the puzzle and the knock down drag out Monopoly tournament, some played around with Karaoke.
And then Dad gave the family a father's blessing for the year. To me, that is the highlight of any family gathering. I hope the children understood that they were participating in something very important and that it will give them peace and inspiration throughout the year.
Afterwards, we started cleaning up and moving to our rooms for a good night's sleep…except those who got an early start on their sleep.
After breakfast the next morning, everyone went home, some directly and some circuitously. Joel and his family went to Bearizona.
Esther's and Rachel's families went to the movie.
Of course, Nathan's family had the long drive back to Las Vegas, where they caught a plane to Omaha, Daniel's family had the long drive back to Colorado, and Devynne and Brock went with them. The rest of us went home, or went shopping.
but I can say that Dad and I were happy to be home and glad not to have to go shopping or go to the movie or tour the woods or catch a plane.
NEWS FROM AROUND THE FAMILY
Nathan and Shauna
Here are Bethany and Palmer at a Nebraska football game.
When they got home on Saturday, tired or not, Palmer put up Nathan and Shauna's Christmas lights.
Then he and Bethany set up their first Christmas tree. Notice him on the sofa by the tree. Poor guy.
Nicole went to Mesa to attend her best friend's wedding. Laynie (sp?) is the granddaughter of one of Dad's Biggs cousins, so she is part of our family, making her and Nicole shirttail relations as well as best friends. While she was in Mesa, she met President Peck, someone she knows and loves. I don't know how she knows him but what a good picture!
I don't know if Josh and Nicole are at the same game as Bethany and Palmer, but they look so cute I had to put this in. I think they were just happy to be back together after her trip to Mesa.
Joel and Stephanie
Stetson came and stayed with us for a couple of days this month. He had come to EAC to see friends and have a couple of dates. It was fun to have him.
The men in the Gilbert families went to a pre Thanksgiving dinner at a Brazilian restaurant in Scottsdale. I could also have put this in either Jeremy's or Shad's section, but Joel's came first, so here it is. I love seeing you all do things together. It makes me happy trying to figure out in which section to put pictures of your joint activities.
At the Grand Canyon, Dad got Joel started on his lemon juice routine…after the Brazilian "Death by Meat" restaurant. He swears by it for lowering blood pressure. He heard it from Sherry Evans who heard it from someone at the Temple and that was good enough for Dad. The funny thing is, it seems to work. Joel was struggling with extremely high blood pressure, but a few days of eating right, exercising and taking two spoonfuls of lemon juice lowered it significantly. Now if he can just live through the Gilbert Temple dedication and cultural celebration, he'll be home free!
We received a very sweet note from Levi and this picture of him and his companion. If this is an Argentine bus, it looks pretty good. His letters are always so happy and he says everything is just great. Reminds me of his Dad's letters. He always said things were great, too, leaving out muggings, etc. Evidently, though, Levi doesn't leave anything out of his letters to his parents...
Daniel and Connie
Their kids had an elementary school program.
Porter is the assistant basketball coach in the middle school,
for Albert's team. Albert is number 51.
They butchered a steer and now have a whole freezer full of beef.
Parker is doing well. We love reading his notes because they are so upbeat. He is loving where he is and what he is doing, even smiling when it is freezing. He mentioned the frozen smile on his face!
Rebecca and Scott
They hiked to Frye Mesa earlier in the month.
Lillian posted a November collage. We had some really nice winter weather for a couple of days before the reunion, rain and snow on the mountains. The Evans' yard looks beautiful, doesn't it? Almost East Coastish.
Polly, a freshman, won a spot on the varsity as well as the JV basketball teams. Here she is, wearing her varsity jersey. Like father like daughter.
Polly got her braces off!
Allison and Taylor live on a Christmas tree farm. When Rebecca sent me this picture, she said, "This is
Allison and Taylor's office."
Here they are at Silver Falls in Oregon.
OK everybody, Dallin has a sweetheart. Her name is Sarah. We don't know how serious it is, but it looks pretty promising to me. She is from New Jersey and he went there for Thanksgiving.
DeWitt, along with Levi, is experiencing some very hot weather in Argentina. He is having some learning and growing experiences and some very special baptisms, including his first one in Spanish.
Jeremy and Erika
Daynen had his beautiful hair long for his role as Ichabod Crane, and as soon as it was over, he chopped it all off! I was sad. But I must say he still is a handsome kid.
He has made some very professional commercial videos. I am impressed. I watched them on youtube.
Ellie had a part in The Nutcracker ballet on Saturday night after they got home. Her family and friends were there to cheer for her.
Rachel and Tony
Flu shot day.
Rylie received her Patriarchal Blessing this month.
Rachel's and Mary's families went to Rachel and Tony's desert for a cookout near the first of the month. See how warm it still was.
Rylie's Frolic pictures. The mothers of the group put on a dinner at the Stake Center for them, and, of course, Rachel decorated the tables. It was very elegant.
Esther and Shad
Esther went to a youth conference with her Young Women. It was held in Superior at the old high school…maybe the one Grandmother attended?
Harrison received his Life Scout award…one step away from Eagle!
Bridger was the turkey in the 4th grade play. I'm sure no one else could have done it better.
Soren lost his first tooth! I worked so hard to get him his tooth pillow before he lost any teeth, then he lost his tooth at the Grand Canyon…tooth pillow at home. And he really lost it. He didn't even know it had come out, and he spit it out thinking it was some foreign object from lunch.
So he wrote the tooth fairy a note. I told him tooth fairies sometimes took notes in lieu of teeth.
When they got home from the Grand Canyon, Esther and Marlie went on a "Mommy/Daughter date to see Catching Fire.
Thomas and Jenn
Their car quit on them, though it had given them good service in Mexico, and there and back several times. So they bought a new car and now feel safe again.
I think this was in the lobby at the hotel in Williams. What a great family picture.
Friday night, they hardly had a chance to get home when they had to take care of the El Charro booth at the "Merry Mainstreet" event. It was very successful. Dad went down to help, and he said they were very busy all the time he was there.
His family went with Mary and Tyson to New Mexico to cut a Christmas tree. The kids were so excited to go to New Mexico, thinking it was going to be like their old Mexican stomping grounds.
Mary and Tyson
They went to the Tucson zoo on the coldest day of our 3-day winter. It looks cold and deserted doesn't it? It was. They even got in for free.
They also went to the Children's museum where they played and did crafts and stayed out of the cold.
Every year, they go with Tyson's family to cut a Christmas tree. This time they invited Thomas and Jenn's family to go with them. The kids run around and have fun while the adults look for a tree.
There is a windmill there that they love to climb.
This is the tree they finally chose. They cut it in half and in half again to fit into their house! So the top of the tree is what they have.
Lindsay lost another tooth!
SOMETHING TO MAKE YOU SMILE
I think this is exactly how all of us felt on the way home. Pity the poor drivers!
Brody is at such a cute age. He made this knight costume himself, then said to his mom...
"Mom, I know how to whistle in Spanish, do you?"
So that was November. It is already the 2nd of December and all of you are busy with December's activities. It seems as if these blogs are getting longer and longer. I'm sorry. And I'm sure it won't be any better in December, with Christmas and all its associated activities and programs. But I love it and it's my journal, so oh well. We are already looking forward to 2014, our Golden Wedding Anniversary year and then in 2015 a reunion headed by the Nathan and Shauna family. I think that sounds very exciting. Be thinking about how we can all go to Omaha in 2015. Kids will be older so that will be both easier and harder, I realize, but worth the effort. Omaha has so many great things to offer, especially to our family, with so many pioneer connections there. Dad and I love you all so much and thank you for loving us and going out of your way to make us happy. We recognize your efforts and appreciate them very much. See you in December!





































5 comments:
Your Mother is one amazing woman! I don't know how she does all of this. She has a lot of patience to be putting all of these things together, but it is a labor of love. As she sits at the computer she just relives the experience. I guess that's what we do as we get older. As Pres. Monson often says "memories are like spring roses in the winter of our lives" or something like that. She is my very best friend and I must say when she is happy I am happy and when she is sad I am sad. You probably can't understand the love that just keeps growing between two people as you age, but it's real and you will understand that at some point. Our love for each of you just keeps growing as well. Thank you for the great experiences we have with each of you.
Mom and Dad...how can I say thank you enough for such a wonderful experience? Thank you for giving my kids this neat experience that they would otherwise not have!! We all loved every minute of it! Dad, I loved your comment back to Mom, so sweet. I realize everyday how truly lucky/ blessed I really am to have you two as my parents!! Thank you so much for everything you do for us! Love you both.
Grandma and Grandpa I am so grateful for both of you! This was a wonderful month and I'm so happy I could spend Thanksgiving with my Family. The Grand Canyon trip was the trip of a lifetime. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!
Devynne
Great Blog!! loved all the pics loved seeing everyone! We had a great time and we can't thank you enough for the memories! and this blog "journal" We'll have it forever! loved your comment dad, very sweet! thanks for being Amazing parents We are very blessed. ...much love and gratitude!!
Thank you so much Mom for the blog!! I especially loved your testimony at the beginning!! Also thank you so much for such a wonderful Reunion. We loved every part of it!!!
Post a Comment