Thursday, January 02, 2014

December Details


What a wonderful month December has been!  Of course, it is a time to remember our Savior and to be thankful for His birth, His life and His sacrifice in our behalf.  No matter what else we do or don't do in December, just focusing on Him makes it a wonderful time.  How great it is when we focus on Him every day of our lives!  December has also been a time for getting together as individual families and as extended families, renewing and strengthening the bonds that tie us together.  We had a 5th Sunday lesson, (as I'm sure you all did) on Family History Work, and one of the things Bishop Emery showed us was some research done by child development experts showing that children who feel a connection with their intergenerational families have a greater self esteem and seem to endure traumatic experiences with more equilibrium.  They said to tell your children family stories. Tell them about their ancestors.  Better yet, let them get to know and interact with those who are still living.  It helps them feel a part of something bigger than they are, something important and worthwhile.  I consider my blog part of our family history.  I feel that it is important to keep a record of what our family does.  It helps to keep us connected.  We love being close to you and to your children.  What a blessing you are to us.

December weather has been very Decemberish.  It snowed where it was supposed to snow: Provo, Glenwood Springs, even Omaha.  It was foggy in Oregon and autumn-like in Arizona.

I have to give credit for this beautiful fall scene to Docker. He took the picture right in his own neighborhood. The bottom scene, you will recognize, is in our front yard.

Our December birthdays are as special as you would expect in such an important month. 
 DeWitt, in Argentina, turned 20 on the 10th
Rachel's birthday was the 17th
Thomas Wyatt turned 8 on the 19th
Hyrum turned 6 on the 30th
We started out the month with a decorating party.  I bought donuts and made hot chocolate to bribe everyone to come and help me decorate my house for the season.
On the 3rd, and 7th, we went to the Community Children's Theater production of "The Wizard of Oz" featuring Kirtlyn as an Oz servant...

Lindsay as a munchkin...

And Brianna as a crow and a tree.


Kirtlyn invited us to their house for their Nativity Family Home Evening.  She wrote the script (and there really was dialog), and directed the performance.
She had a piano recital that we were not able to attend, so she performed her song for us. She is progressing quickly and very well for a beginning student.
December, of course, is a month of recitals, concerts and programs.  We attended what we could and really missed the ones we couldn't see.  
Rylie's choir concert.

Isabel's choir concert
Brynlie and Camille at their program
We saw Brianna's piano recital and were impressed with how well she plays.
We missed Harrison's piano recital and band concert, but he played for us when they came Christmas Day. There were so many we were not able to see, but we really appreciate the pictures you either sent or posted. Oh how I wish we could have been to each and every concert, recital and program.  We love to see you perform and are so glad that so many of you are involved in music.
Marlie had a Christmas orchestra concert.
We also missed Hayden's band concert…don't you love his bow tie?  
Reygan and Tayte's school had a Christmas concert. I can see Reygan, but I'm not sure about where Tayte is.
Ellie had a piano recital. The reason this is such a bad picture is because I took it from the video Jer sent. She is just a beginning student, like Kirtlyn, and also like Kirtlyn, she is playing very well. I hope they both continue to love it and keep learning.
Hannah had her Christmas choir concert.  This is her amazing show choir.  She is the choir president this year, an elected office.
I spent many days of December, working on my personalized Christmas ornaments for the family...
And for Relief Society handouts.

On the 15th, Rachel held her annual Elf party, complete with spaghetti and games and movie.  I won Mary's "The best way to spread to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear" plaque. I even used it in my Relief Society lesson.
We took Thomas to get his ring finger sized for his baptism CTR ring and then to McDonald's for a milkshake.
It was really exciting to watch Polly play basketball.  She plays on the Varsity and Jr. Varsity teams as a freshman!  Following in her Dad's and cousin Porter's footsteps.
Lillian posted this picture of us at Polly's game.  She thought it was cute that we were both wearing denim.  I told her that's because we are going steady.

Rachel's sister lunch on the 16th included Allison and Taylor as well as Dad, who is always an honorary sister.  We had it a day early because she was looking forward to a day at home with Tony on her birthday.
Brianna's school program was on Rachel's birthday.  As usual, she steps out and is a little more showy than the other students, so it's fun to watch her.

Jared, however, wasn't so sure he could sit still and watch his sister, no matter how showy she was, so Mary put a leash on him…it was a good thing, too.
We had carolers come, Mary's family, and the  Young Single Adult Branch.
On the 19th, Thomas Wyatt's birthday, we went to lunch with the Evans family.  Allison and Taylor were visiting from Oregon and it was fun to be with them.  We also saw Thomas and his family there, celebrating Thomas' 8th birthday so we joined them as well.
That night, we went to Thomas' house for his birthday party.  He answered the door in his brand new Cub Scout uniform.  He is as excited about being a scout as he is about being baptized.
The next day, we went to Mesa to attend Grandma and Grandpa Hiatt's Christmas party.  Jeremy and Reygan and her friend came to visit us in the condo.
While we were in Mesa, we went by the Mesa Cemetery and took a picture of our burial plot.
It is of the corner where our plots are.  It looks across the path into the old part of the cemetery.
The Hiatt Christmas party was a blast, as usual, with lots of food, lots of cousins and the piñata, Santa Claus and the Nativity, which the Biggs family and Phil's family were in charge of.  Since I was in charge, I let Ellie be Mary.  There may have been some older girls who had never been Mary, but she asked, and I said "yes."  Since Esther's family was sick, we only had two families there, Joel's and Jeremy's, so Crew and Hayden also got to choose what they wanted to be.  They chose sheep.
Docker and Tayte enjoying not being part of the show.
Reygan led the singing for the Nativity program.
While we were in Mesa, we went to see the Temple lights.  And obviously, we were not the only ones in the family to enjoy them.  Jeremy's and Esther's families also went at different times this month.
When we drove up to our house after our Mesa trip, we saw a huge roll sitting on our front porch.  Not expecting a package that we knew of, we were sooo surprised to unwrap it and find a beautiful, thick area rug for our family room from Joel and Stephanie.  We called Thomas  who came over the next day and helped us put it down.  Oh, it looks so good!  Sometimes I like to walk in there just to look at it.
We had our annual Christmas Eve party, with our pork chop dinner/breakfast.
We can always count on Maya to latch onto a handsome young man!
We also, of course, had the Nativity, and Santa Claus. It was fun to see the kids wearing the same costumes you all wore years and years ago. Maybe it's time to update them?
Santa came, and thrilled all the kids, big and little alike. I love Issy's expression!
On Christmas morning, we went around to see what Santa had brought all the kids.  Rebecca's family had to get up at 4:30 to Skype with DeWitt, then they invited us over for a yummy Christmas breakfast.  We went in our pj's.
Rachel and Tony's kids all got wheels.
Thomas and Jenn's kids also all got wheels, and a Lab puppy named Kevin.
Mary and Tyson's family got all the fun things little kids love to get…and a puppy named Spike.
When I made Mary's kids' collage, I put in the wrong picture of Carson, and rather than go back and remake the collage…which is a HUGE job, I just decided to put in the right picture as well.
Later that day, Esther and Shad's family came to visit for a couple of days.
This is Harrison playing for Issy to sing.  I told them that they should practice and be like the Carpenters and get rich.  They said "who are the Carpenters?" Oh well, time marches on.
Soren was working on overcoming his fear of dogs.  The new puppies were a good way to start.
We went to see "Frozen."
These two didn't get into the group picture.
Later that day, we went with the Browns and Isabel to El Charro.  Isabel was traded for Bridger, who was with the Alders.
The next night we had a weenie roast in our back yard. 
On the 30th, we celebrated Hyrum's 6th birthday. I printed his card, rather than writing it in cursive, so that he could perhaps read some of the words…he's in kindergarten, so I knew he had been learning the sounds of the letters.  To my surprise, he read the whole thing! Without any help!
We went to Mesa the next day, for a little vacation, since the Temple was closed.  We had dinner with the Mesa kids at Texas Roadhouse.  It was sooo packed!  They crammed us into a booth, all 9 of us, but Jeremy and Erika opted to sit across the aisle at their own table.
On New Year's day, which, technically, I guess, should start next month's blog, Joel and Crew came over to walk with Dad, we spent some time with Joel's family and then Jeremy's family.  Esther's family had other things planned.  Mostly, the two of us just vegged, went to see "Saving Mr. Banks," and chilled the rest of the day at the condo, watching movies on Apple TV and eating frozen dinners. It was actually very restful. 

NEWS FROM AROUND THE FAMILY
NATHAN AND SHAUNA
Hannah was asked to sing the National Anthem at both the boys' and girls' varsity basketball games.  Nathan sent a link so I could hear it, and I have to say I was overcome.  I always knew she had a lovely voice, but she sounds so mature and absolutely beautiful that she brought tears to my eyes…and the National Anthem is hard to sing.  She also had a choir concert.  Here she is with her parents, and wearing her candy lei.
Nathan and Shauna's family celebrated Christmas early because Josh and Nicole were planning to go to Arizona to be with her family for Christmas.
I don't know what the pumpkin picture is all about, but it is so darling of our beautiful newlyweds.

Nicole with her mom in Mesa.
Then they went with her family to California, visiting San Diego and Disneyland.
So, actually, Hannah was the only child left at home for Christmas morning.

JOEL AND STEPHANIE
Joel took his crew, including Stetson, Joel and Daynen, to Hawaii to produce the Pearl Harbor Memorial Parade.  I know it was a lot of work, but someone has to do it, right?
Docker and Stetson with Grandpa at the Hiatt Christmas party.
Stetson had an Elf party.
Joel's gift from Santa Claus.
Here are the Biggs boys enjoying the golf cart at their annual Christmas Eve golf day.
Crew, along with Hayden, got a turtle for Christmas.  He named it Michelangelo.  Docker got a base guitar, and I know you're surprised that I don't have a picture of him when we all know how much he loves to have me take his picture!

DANIEL AND CONNIE
Snow, snow, snow!
Porter's Eagle Project…to go to the special needs kids.  They love to pound on these drum-like posts.
Devynne participating in her BYU service organization.
She went to Washington to spend Christmas with Brock's family.
At the ice skating rink.
Then a visit with Santa.
Christmas morning at Daniel and Connie's house.
REBECCA AND SCOTT
Allison and Taylor came to Arizona to get warm and spend a week or so with Allison's family. It was so nice to have them here. 
Rebecca and Scott's ward had a Polar Express party to which they wore their pj's.

They worked on the wooden Santa puzzle that Daniel and Connie gave them.  When I suggested that they mount it in the same way Daniel mounted ours, they said, "No.  We want to do it again next year! It was so much fun to put together."
Dallin at a dance at Southern Virginia University with Sarah, his girlfriend. She is coming here for a week in January, so we will get to meet her.

JEREMY AND ERIKA
This amazingly beautiful picture was taken by Daynen in Hawaii. It makes me wish I were really an artist so that I could paint it and even remotely do it justice. However, I will just enjoy the photograph. Isn't it breathtaking?
Here are Daynen and Jeremy working hard in Hawaii.
Ok.  So here is Daynen working hard in Hawaii.
And Erika learning CPR at PA school.
They went to visit Grandpa and Grandma one evening near the first of December.  They said it was such a good visit. I know Grandpa and Grandma enjoyed it.
Ellie paid a visit to a musical instruments museum.  I think it might have been a school field trip, and I think, maybe, Erika went with her and took this picture.
Reygan drew this picture of the Mesa Temple.  Are you as impressed as I am?
Christmas morning at Jeremy and Erika's house. 
Hayden's turtle, Dave, with Bruce, their dog.  They say that Bruce has adopted Dave and is very protective of him.  Here is Hayden, grilling some food for a Korean feast.

RACHEL AND TONY
The famous gingerbread house…preparation, construction and final product. I can't believe they plan to blow it up after all that work!
The snowman cake is one Rachel made for the twins to take to school.  Yes. Rachel, not Rylie.
Rylie did make this cake for her mother's birthday, though.  I think those are Tony's stocking feet, proof that he stayed home with Rachel to celebrate her birthday…except, obviously, when they went to El Charro.  Notice the hat.
Christmas Eve with the grandparents.
Harrison gave Rachel lesson #1 on his trumpet.

ESTHER AND SHAD
So, here's 5-year-old Soren riding his two-wheeler with no training wheels!!!
He's one of the big kids now.
They were sick for Grandma's Christmas party, so they had one of their own. I think those extra kids are Gunnersons.
Christmas morning at Esther and Shad's house.

THOMAS AND JENN
Thomas came home from the restaurant one day and found Jenn, balancing on the side of their house, putting up Christmas lights.
A better look at Kevin.
They went to Mesa over the New Year weekend to do some restaurant shopping and to visit Jenn's family, so they left Kevin with Spike, Carson's dog.

MARY AND TYSON
Their mulberry tree dropped all its leaves at one time right at the beginning of December.
Brianna's school project.  She could choose whatever she wanted to do to show what was her favorite thing about Christmas, so she made a nativity float.
Mary made plaque of her favorite "Elf" quotes for Rachel's party.
All the crafting going on at their house inspired Jared to "try his hand at it" too. Before Mary screamed and cleaned him up, she took his picture…she's been well taught.
She took this picture from her back yard. She could actually see the end of the rainbow!

OUR MISSIONARIES
Each of our missionaries had the opportunity to speak to their families for Christmas.  I think it was each of their mothers' favorite Christmas gift.
DeWitt and Allison and Taylor Skyped at the same time…4:30 a.m.!!! He from Argentina and they from Oregon.
Levi from Argentina.  Those are the Christmas pj's his mom sent. What does it say? Faith, family and facial hair???
Parker talked to them from Wisconsin.  The picture below was taken at the mission Christmas dinner and was posted by his mission president's wife on their mission blog.  She's the one who added the comment on the bottom of the picture.

SOMETHING TO MAKE YOU SMILE
No comment necessary!
            Jared……………Henry
The following picture makes me smile because I love seeing Bethany be so much her fun-loving self in spite of all the health issues she has to deal with. What a happy spirit she has.  So, here is Bethany being Bethany…definitely something to smile about! :-)

Well, we have come to the end, not only of an amazing month, but of an amazing year! We have grown as a family, and have strengthened our ties with each other through our times together and, hopefully, even through this blog.  Next year is already shaping up to be full and rich with important family occasions such as Grandma Hiatt's 90th birthday, our 50th wedding anniversary, our anniversary cruise to Mexico, a baptism, three high school graduations, some Priesthood ordinations, some missionaries entering the mission field, maybe some weddings (?) And certainly a lot of love and blessings. I am really looking forward to 2014, even though I remember, when I was a young teenager, thinking that when the new millennium would come in 2000, I would be too old to enjoy it, knowing I would be at the advanced age of 50!  Thankfully, I was wrong.  I didn't know, when I was a young teenager that I would have Dad at my side to enjoy it with!  We enjoyed 2013 together, and have every intention of enjoying 2014!  See you then!














2 comments:

Mary, Tyson and Family said...

Love Love Love!!! Thank you Thank you mom! I know what a pain it is to put the post together each month but so much fun to read, remember and catch up on all the fam.

Connie and Daniel Biggs Family said...

Sorry it took me so long to finally look at the blog for last month. But I'm glad I did! December is my favorite month of the year and it is so good to see all my family and all the wonderful times they are having. Thank you Grandma!

Devynne

AUGUST ~BAPTISM FOR THE DEAD ANNOUNCED BY JOSEPH SMITH

     One of the most precious doctrines of the Gospel is the doctrine of vicarious work for the dead.  August 15, 1840 is when Joseph Smi...