This magnolia blossom is from one of the trees that flank the Temple. They are in bloom and are so beautiful and smell really good this time of year. I remember magnolia trees in North Carolina, and I always thought it was too dry here to grow them, but the Temple has more than several, and our neighbor, Sister Carter put in a couple of magnolia trees when she built her house.
Oh my goodness!! May has been so incredibly aMAYzing! I am surprised I got it all in one blog...well I hope I did, anyway. We'll see, when I try to publish it if it allows so much at one time :-) We have had everything from a baptism, a wedding, endowment, mission call, graduations galore, trips, tornados, end-of-school programs, an Eagle Scout, girls' camp, and some really amazing birthdays. Ellie, Harrison, Isabel, Luke, Nicole, Palmer and Analynn all were born in the merry month of May.
Ellie turned 9 on the 5th
Harrison turned 14 on the 6th
Isabel turned 14 on the 9th
Luke turned 11 on the 10th
Nicole's birthday was the 16th
Palmer's birthday was the 23rd
Analynn turned 10 on the 24th
Aren't they all so beautiful??
We began the month, looking forward to big activities, so we got our house cleaned and some flowers planted so we would make a good impression on our visitors...Daniel and Connie and her parents, Jeremy and Erika and Esther and Shad, as well as the Safford kids, of course. Everyone pitched in and helped, even the little ones.
When Daniel and Connie got here, they filled up our house with more than just people, also with fun and laughter and love. I really enjoy seeing all the cousins getting together after they have been so long apart.
Devynne and Brock made themselves at home, in spite of his being a little worried about encountering scorpions or snakes. The desert is a strange and foreign land to him.
On Friday, the 2nd, we all met at the El Charro for lunch before Emma's afternoon baptism.
Devynne helped Emma get ready for her special day.
Cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents, parents and brothers and sisters all gathered together to witness this important event in Emma's life.
Connie conducted the meeting, Devynne led the music, Shadrach gave a talk on baptism, Emma's sisters sang a special number. After the baptism by her father, Porter gave a talk about the Holy Ghost.

Thomas, Dad, Jess Nevin, Scott, Tyson and Brock all assisted Daniel in bestowing the Holy Ghost and confirming her a member of the Church.
One of Connie's amazing cakes. Emma wanted a rainbow cake. We ordered pizza and all the kids swam and played together after the baptism was finished.
The next morning, Devynne went through the Gila Valley Temple to receive her own endowments. Brock's parents came especially for that occasion. They had to turn right around and go home, though, because his mom, a nurse, was scheduled to work the next day. They are such nice, friendly people. It's not surprising that Brock is just like them.
After the session at the Temple, we gathered at Rebecca and Scott's beautiful back yard for a cookout and swimming. Here again, I couldn't help taking pictures of cousins getting reacquainted.
Maya, of course, did't take long, to get reacquainted with Shadrach, but this time, although she was pretty attached to him, she looked around a little and included his handsome brothers in her flirting.
While we were all together, Ellie celebrated her 9th birthday.
I gave her and Harrison their birthday cards a few days early.
After the cookout, we reconvened at our house for a bridal shower. She received so many beautiful gifts...I'm sure she has made good use of some of them already;-)
Then we played a couple of games. One was especially fun to watch...Devynne had to guess Brock's answers to certain questions. Each time she got the wrong answer, she had to put a piece of bubble gum in her mouth. As much in love as they are, and as long as they've been together, she sure missed a lot of answers!! Her mouth was so full that she couldn't even chew!
Some of the shower guests.
Grandmothers
The Daniel Biggs family left for Seattle the next day, another step on their grand adventure.
We didn't go until after our Temple service that week, so we were able to be here to see some of the end-of-school programs. I had to miss others, though. I always wish I could go to them all.
Brynlie and Camille
Rylie
Luke
On Thursday we flew to Seattle to attend Devynne's Temple wedding. She was being married in the Seattle Temple, near where Brock's family lives, and she asked Dad to seal them. He felt honored that they had asked, and was given permission by the First Presidency to do so.
Jeremy and Erika flew out with us.
First class!
Our rental car, an Impala.
When we drove out to Brock's parents' house the day before the wedding, to help decorate, I was so impressed with the lushness of the vegetation all around us. Even the freeways were bordered by trees and flowers just like this. It was rainy and drizzly the whole time we were there, but fortunately, at key times...after the ceremony when we were taking pictures, and during the reception, the rain mostly stopped. It even was a little sunny/cloudy during the picture-taking activities. The whole city was green and flowery and so beautiful, I just gaped at everything I saw. But, you know, I don't know if I could live where you hardly ever get to see the sun.
This is Brock's parents' house.
Dad and I got to help plant flowers in big pots for decoration and to tie bows with burlap for the chairs. That wasn't as easy as it sounds. By the time we finished them all, my hands were sore and my black pants and black Biggs hoodie were covered in burlap threads. It looked as if I had been playing with tan cats. They had set up two huge tents, one on the deck where they served the food, and one in the back yard where the tables and chairs were. They really added to the elegant atmosphere. They had a wedding planner and she was on the spot making sure everyone did everything just right. I think she retied some of our bows.
That evening, Nathan treated us all to dinner at a seafood restaurant. It was very good and we especially enjoyed just being together. No, Devynne and Brock didn't come. And I don't know where Jeremy and Erika were. We hadn't seen them again once we landed in Seattle, until the wedding the next day. I think they went sight-seeing.
The next morning, we drove to the Seattle Temple, and though it was sunny, it was still cloudy.
The father of the bride.
While I was waiting, a group of sister missionaries came out of the Temple and one of them called my name. I was so surprised to see Sister Whetten, Penny and Lamont's daughter. She is serving a mission there, so of course, I texted her mom our picture.
Finally, they came out. They looked so happy and so beautiful. I couldn't help but shed a few happy tears.
A picture with her Grandpa Tom. I was so touched by his comments before the sealing and also by the thoughtful and heartfelt way he performed the ceremony. What a blessing to our family to have the opportunity to be sealed by a loving grandfather.
The Daniel and Connie Biggs family
Biggs and Bennion parents
Grandparents and parents
Both families combined
With her adoring brothers
With her loving sisters
All the bridesmaids and groomsmen
waiting on the deck steps for lunch.
Devynne and Brock arriving at the luncheon. Daniel and Connie provided a great luncheon after the ceremony. It was also held under the tents in the Bennion's back yard. They have a small farm, with a few cows. The barn in the back had a message for Devynne.
Daniel and Connie led the toasts to the couple. Beside Brock are Devynne's roommate and Brock's brother Devin.
Superheroes!
The reception that night
I cried the whole time Daniel and Devynne were dancing. I remember how it feels to give away your child, before you know how much you are going to love your child-in-law and your grandchildren! And Daniel knew that Devynne would be living in Washington, far away from them.
The get-away car
One last word!
We were traveling on Mother' Day, so the kids came over later to wish me a happy day. Allison was even there, visiting her family for a few days.
When Daniel was here, he suggested we get a small freezer to put on the porch, just to hold popsicles. We thought it was a great idea, so we got one and stocked it with goodies. Allison went with Dad to buy it and set it up.
The next weekend, the 16th and 17th, we went to Mesa to help celebrate Grandma and Grandpa Hiatt's 70th anniversary. Docker had a basketball game while we were there, so we got to see him play. He really is a hustler and made several points against a very good team.
Here are the grandparents on their anniversary...now and at their beginning. Still a handsome couple.
We were in Mesa several times in May and tried to have some time with each of the Mesa families.
We were able to see Tayte and Hayden's play, Camelot. It was long, but very well done. and fun to see them as knights of the round table.
Daynen's graduation from high school was the following week, but we opted to attend his seminary graduation instead. It was so nice to be able to really see our boy instead of just a sea of mortar boards. Also, we got to sit on padded benches instead of stadium seats. I like the personal feeling of seminary graduation so much better. Of course, it wasn't possible to go to the seminary graduations of Hannah and Porter, but for those close by, whenever we actually have a choice, I think that is what we'll choose.
Then, to top off a wonderful evening, we went to Daynen's house for a personal, family Eagle Court of Honor.
On Monday, the 19th, we were invited by Thomas' family to come to dinner (meatballs) to celebrate his 33rd birthday. The kids made a restaurant, complete with menus, chefs and waiters.
Isabel's 8th grade promotion was the 21st.. it was a temple day, but I got permission from my shift coordinator to leave for a little while to listen to her sing a solo. My coordinator is Janette John, in Isabel's ward:-)
On the 23rd of May, we flew to Omaha for Hannah's graduation from high school. We were able to tune in to Daniel's house from Nathan's computer and be with Porter when he opened his mission call! What an exciting time for him and his family. He is going to the Bolivia, Santa Cruz mission and will leave August 27 for the MTC in Mexico!
We had an enjoyable visit with Nathan and Shauna's family that evening and the next day we went to her high school for her graduation. Everyone sat on the top of the bleachers, next to the back wall, except the Fincher grandparents and us. We sat in chairs right behind the graduates. I was glad for the jumbotron so that I could see more than mortar boards. Hannah's honor choir sang for the event. They were so good. In this picture, you can see Hannah receiving her diploma on the TV, and also her head below on the left.
Her parents gave her a money wreath. They gave Nicole 100 $1 bills and she wove them into this wreath for Hannah. Many of her friends got flowers and balloons, but no one had a money wreath!
After the graduation, we went to a really nice Italian restaurant. They were relieved when I promised I would only take one picture :-)
That night, Hannah had a graduation party that was really more of a reception. There was lots of food, oh my goodness, tons of food. Even though so many people dropped by, there was still enough food left over to feed that small family for a month!
On Sunday, we went to the ward where Nathan was assigned to speak. He actually spoke in three wards that day, but we only attended one of them. After church, Josh and Nicole came by and were given going away gifts. They are moving back to Arizona! Hooray! He will finish at ASU in community development or something like that. Bethany and Palmer were spending time alone, after church, having a picnic and taking pictures as it was their first anniversary. They came by later that night.
They even gave us presents.
In Nathan's amazing talk about preserving our freedom, he mentioned my 9th great grandfather, your 10th, John Lathrop. He was one of the early settlers of this country, leaving England to find the freedom to worship as he saw fit. He opposed the government's being able to rule the church, and of course, the government didn't agree with him so they asked him to leave. He came here in the 1600's along with other pilgrims and puritans. He has many famous descendants, as well as all of us, including Joseph and Hyrum Smith, Parley, of course, through whom we came, the George Bushes, the Romneys, Franklin Roosevelt, Ulysses S. Grant, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Shirley Temple, Clint Eastwood, J.P. Morgan, Sarah Palin, and Wild Bill Hickock, to name a few. But just like Grandma Brinton used to say, "they are closely enough related that we can claim them (10 times removed??) but far enough away that they don't have to claim us!"
We had such a nice visit with their family and were glad to have Sunday just to relax and visit with them before we flew out on Monday.
The next week was Girls' Camp, so Rachel farmed her kids out day by day. Tony had them some of the days, but since school was out, and he had to work, they stayed with me one day and with Mary one day. When they were here, they swam with cousins who came by to play.
After our temple service on Wednesday, we drove to Colorado on Thursday to be with Porter for his graduation from high school. We only drove part way on Thursday, staying in Monticello, Utah that night, then drove the rest of the way Friday. That night was a middle school band concert featuring Albert on drums and Shannyn on the flute. I just have to say I was expecting a middle school band, but boy was I wrong! They sounded as good as any high school band I have ever heard and better than most.
They didn't all play together. There were 6th, 7th, 8th grade bands and a jazz band.
Shannyn was in the 6th grade band, most of whom had never played before this year, yet they sounded better than most jr. high bands I have ever heard. Albert played in the 8th grade and the jazz bands...shades of Joel and Jeremy!
We knew Porter would be in Germany on his birthday, so we gave him his card early, along with his graduation card. Yes, I said Germany. He and his cousin in Texas are going there for three weeks to stay with his Aunt and Uncle who live there. It is a senior trip for both of them.
The next day was Porter's graduation from high school. He and Connie went hours early to save seats, but all the benches were already reserved. So they bought folding camp chairs and set them up right in front of the stand! We were the first ones to get there and when we saw the red camp chairs right up in front, we weren't sure we would be allowed to sit in them. But we did and before long others came with chairs and blankets and the ground was as packed as the stadium seats.
Daniel, as the secretary/treasurer of the school board got to sign all the diplomas and pass them out. He sat on the stand. Shadrach, as a student body officer for next year walked the graduates in.
We bought pizzas on our way home. Albert and Shannyn went with us to show us the way.
Fun times with the Biggs family.
When we went to church with them the next day, I couldn't restrain myself from sneaking a shot of their missionary wall.
Because it was the first Sunday, the YW came in for opening exercises.
We just relaxed and visited after church on Sunday, and enjoyed just being together. Then we drove all the way home on Monday, the first of June. We were glad to get home, and plan to stay home for at least a week and a half! All in all, May has been busy, fun and exhausting.
NEWS FROM AROUND THE FAMILY
NATHAN & SHAUNA
Nathan and Bethany at the Seattle Temple.
When they flew home from Seattle, they were not allowed to land in Omaha because it was being threatened by two or three major tornadoes. They had to go to Kansas City, I think, and drive home.
Here are Shauna, Hannah, Josh, Nicole, and the Finchers, cowering in the bathroom, waiting for the tornadoes to pass them by. They don't look very scared, do they? I think they just thought it was an adventure!
Here is Hannah's graduation announcement.
Her beautiful siblings, sharing her big day.
Nathan and Shauna at home.
Bethany and Palmer on their anniversary. They have moved into a new apartment building.
The beautiful Biggs girls
Josh and Nicole left the next weekend to go to Mesa. They will be living with her parents until they find their own place, and will finish school at ASU. Welcome home, Josh and Nicole.
JOEL & STEPHANIE
I got this off of Stetson's instagram. I thought his comment was so insightful. When I was young, Grandpa used to say that I would be able to find plenty of young men who would love me because of one thing or another, but I should look for someone who loves me in spite of my faults. I found one.
Joel couldn't help but stop and take a picture with the St. Johns bus when he saw it in town.
Stephanie and Esther got their two home-schooled kids together for an end-of-the-year party.
Gilbert Community College put out an advertising brochure, featuring our man Stetson! Of course, he looks like just the kind of person they would want representing their student body. He graduated from there with his Associates this year and will go on to ASU for his Bachelor's.
Docker received the Golden Scholar Award at his school.
We actually received this picture of Joel and Jeremy on the first of June, but since we were still at Daniel's and I hadn't started the blog yet, I included it. They are on their way to a big 70th Anniversary celebration of D Day in Normandy France. I will put more about it on the June blog, providing, of course, that they supply me with pictures!
DANIEL & C0NNIE
Analynn is participating in a music program through her school, I think, that uses musicians from Aspen to teach the kids stringed instruments.
Here is Porter's graduation announcement. He wrote the poem on the side.
Connie makes all her kids a huge photo collage of their lives for graduation.
Devynne and Brock went to eastern Mexico for their honeymoon. They swam, climbed ruins, ate and enjoyed each other before coming back for their open house in Colorado.
While they were in Colorado, Brock helped teach the little girls how to shoot a bow.
They put up a tent on their back deck in case of rain. They have done some major remodeling in their house, too, converting a bedroom into a family/TV room, and renovating their guest bathroom. It really looks nice.
Devynne and Brock at the open house.
Their beautiful, gourmet cupcakes. Each flower was dyed by hand. Connie had a lot of friends helping her. They also roasted a pig for the occasion!
REBECCA & SCOTT
Rebecca's poor arm. She is finally starting to get better, but at the first of the month, she was still in quite a bit of pain.
Scott with the girls at the state tennis tournament in Scottsdale(?)
Allison and Taylor came for a visit while we were gone to Seattle, so we didn't get to see Taylor at all. He had to go back to school, so he left Allison here and she stayed for a few more days. The kids loved having them here. I took this picture off of Lillian's instagram.
Beautiful Evans girls
Dallin and Sara got engagement pictures taken. This is the only one I could find on Facebook. They look so happy and in love.
He had to leave his sweetheart for a couple of weeks, however, because he went to Italy to study Italian architecture...and food.
He flew back to the DC airport and had a quick reunion with Sara, who met him there for a few minutes before he caught his plane to Phoenix. He is spending the summer here until she comes for their wedding in August.
Girls' Camp
As the head honcho, Rebecca had a lot of worry and stress about the success of the camp, but I think it went very well. Scott was even able to go up for a few days and participate in some of the activities, and both her girls were with her. Also, her right hand girl, Rachel.
Polly was a 4th year and got to do a high adventure camp, including rappelling.
Scott was Abraham Lincoln in one of their activities.
Rebecca, speaking at the Liahona ceremony.
JEREMY & ERIKA
Jeremy's poor broken foot. He fell down his stairs and rammed his foot into the banister, breaking his toe. He did it just before he went to Seattle, so he limped around there...that didn't keep him from going around to see all the sights, though.
Mt. Rainier
At the Bennion's after Devynne and Brock had driven away in their fancy car.
In place of a graduation announcement from Daynen, (one of which I didn't receive) I put in this picture which I took from Facebook. It is his new cover photo, so I figured he wouldn't mind if I use it here.
Dinner before the big event.
Daynen's graduation was held in the Wells Fargo Arena at ASU. After seeing this picture, I am more glad than ever that I went to his seminary graduation instead.
Daynen was ordained to the Melchizedek Priesthood by his father, on June 1, 2014. They texted us, while we were at Daniel's, that they were doing it after his interview with the Stake President, and I, of course, asked if they had taken a picture. They didn't, so they obligingly recreated it for me. Daynen was still in his Sunday clothes, but Jeremy wasn't.
And now you have "the rest of the story."
Erika had an obstetrics unit this month. Fun!
RACHEL & TONY
Isabel's friend threw a surprise party for her 14th birthday.
Isabel's and Luke's birthdays are just a day apart.
Here are the Alder kids watching Porter open his call.
Brynlie and Camille writing on each other's shirts on the last day of school.
Rylie, fixing Isabel's hair for her 8th grade promotion. She sang a solo. I was at the Temple, but I got permission to leave long enough to listen to Isabel. She was really good.
Girls' Camp
Rachel was there with her two girls.
How fun to have cousins and aunt, as well as sisters and mom at camp.
Rebecca took this picture of Rylie who was explaining the Scriptures to a non member camper and answering her questions. She had no idea anyone was watching, much less taking a picture, but I'm glad Rebecca was on the ball. What a precious moment.
Rylie earned her Liahona Award, an extra-mile award given to girls who want to more than just certify at camp. The medallion is one I designed when I was YW pres., and had hundreds made. But they finally ran out this year and so Rebecca sent a picture of one to a company and they copied it exactly. It is of a woman's hands, holding the Liahona.
I'm guessing that Isabel is in her ward's skit. That's the only thing that would explain her costume.
ESTHER & SHAD
Harrison got an iPod 5 for his 14th birthday.
What a lovely tribute from her daughter for Mothers' Day.
Harrison won a jazz band award for most improved student. He was chosen to play several solos in their performances throughout the year.
Rachel went to Mesa and spent some time with Esther, arranging her picture wall, among other things.
They also had lunch with their Brooksby cousins.
Here are Marlie and Crew, the home-school kids at their end-of-school party.
Soren at his kindergarten promotion program.
Oh what do you do in the summer time? In Mesa? In 120 degrees? Lie around under the air conditioning, of course.
And go swimming, and play with fireworks when it's dark. I don't think Brody has the hang of summer attire yet.
THOMAS & JENNThomas has been sporting a full beard, much to my dismay. I actually think he didn't look too bad for a bearded man, but as I have told everyone, ad nauseum, I think beards are fine for men with a hairlip or a receding chin, but a handsome man shouldn't cover his face with hair. He didn't seem to care about my opinion, however. I don't know what finally got him to shave it off, but I am so glad he did.
See how nice he looks as Thomas again? They came over for FHE one night and Thomas Wyatt planned a track meet for an activity.
Everyone raced around the yard. Maya said, "I want to win." So Thomas picked her up and ran with her on his shoulders. She won. The other winner was Hyrum.
For their anniversary, Thomas and Jenn went to Mexico to visit some of the good friends they left behind when they moved away. They also went to the Temple and saw their old house.
Then on their very anniversary day, they took the kids to the place at EAC where Thomas proposed to Jenn. Their kids reenacted the event.
MARY & TYSON
Mary took the kids, while Daniel and Esther were here, to see Brianna and Lindsay's play, Sleeping Beauty. Brianna was Maleficent (watch out Angelina Jolie) and Lindsay was one of her goons.
They both were given special awards for their performances. Lindsay earned the best dancer award and Brianna won the best actress award.
Carson played baseball, and he loved it...hitting the ball every time he got to bat.
Lindsay's kindergarten graduation
On the last day of school, when everyone was so excited (Mary even decorated her car) Lindsay was sobbing because she didn't want to leave her teacher.
summer haircuts
Cooling off at the river.
And a Memorial Day fieldtrip to the Bisbee mine. Dad was jealous.
OUR MISSIONARIES
Our missionaries are all doing very well, working hard and loving the work they are doing. They have each been given assignments this month that reflect their mission presidents' trust in their leadership abilities. We are so humbly appreciative (proud) of each one of them and are thankful for their willingness and worthiness to serve. Their mothers each had a visit for Mothers' Day. I remember how much I always looked forward to those phone calls. How much more now days when they can actually see each other. Oh, the blessings of technology.
DEWITT
Service opportunity
LEVI
A service opportunity
PARKER
He was in a 3-some with a visa waiter, but has since been transferred on an emergency transfer when another missionary had to be sent home.
SOMETHING TO MAKE YOU SMILE
This makes me smile. It did you, too, didn't it?
So, that was aMAYzing May. I hope we don't have another such busy month for a little while. June looks calmer, so far. We are looking forward to seeing as many of you as can come, at our 50th anniversary celebration on the 21st. There will be dinner and absolutely no work involved. Just come and eat and visit and enjoy each other. Thanks to all the kids who have been helping put together the invitation and for arranging the party, and for anyone else I don't know about who is helping in any way. My goal was for this to be easy on everyone. I hope no one is going to too much trouble. We're excited to see everyone though. We love you so much. See you soon. Ate logo.





















































































2 comments:
I can't tell you how much we appreciate you and dad traveling far and wide for us to be at all of these events. From Arizona to Seattle to Omaha to Glenwood and I'm sure I missed somewhere, I know how easy it isn't. It was great to have you there for all of those important moments. Thank you. And thank you for the blog. This one is huge and must have been hours and hours.
I echo my parents comment. I love you both Grandpa and Grandma, very much! You have been so supportive and wonderful this month! What a month May was! Thank you for posting all the pictures. The blog looks great! Can't wait for Jubilation June! ;)
-Devynne Marie
Post a Comment