I am sick sick sick!!! Sick and frustrated! I have typed this blog 4 times and every time I have lost it all and have had to start all over again...and, of course, I never say the same things twice. We have a new computer in the office and I am trying to use it to do the blog, but all my pictures are in iPhoto on the computer in the family room so I am having to do screen sharing. Every time I save my work and switch computers I lose all I have done. This time, I hope I have it all figured out. I am typing on the new computer, but doing it through screen sharing from the other one. We'll see. Anyway...
June is one of my favorite months. It is the month Dad and I were married, fifty years ago. It was hot then, too, of course, but we were too impatient to wait until the weather cooled. I had been at BYU since the previous August and we felt we had waited long enough. (So, Dallin, I understand how you and Sara feel ;-) I feel sorry, now, for all those who had to wait outside the Temple for us to come out. And, in those days our wedding dresses had high necks and long sleeves so that they were Temple appropriate. They had cover ups, then too, but I didn't want to spoil my dress with one and I wanted to be married in my wedding dress...go figure. I didn't want it to be just a picture dress or a reception dress. I made it to be a wedding dress. Fifty years! It's hard to believe. I still feel young, in some ways, (and incredibly old in others) but they have been good years, thanks to all of you.
Jasmine is the flower for June. We have a Jasmine bush in our back yard by the pool, but it doesn't produce many flowers. Rebecca and Scott, however, have several prolific bushes all around their house and they smell wonderful...almost like honeysuckle.
We have had a beautiful Cardinal couple hanging out in the tree in our front yard. I hope they're building a nest. I don't know, but I'm glad, at least, that Mary was observant and captured these pictures.
Watermelon is one of my favorite things about summer! It looks as if Maya agrees :-)
What a beautiful bunch of June birthdays! And a loving and friendly group, too...all of them had someone's arm around them when I cropped the picture. It's funny because I didn't even realize that until I had them all on the blog. I just chose those particular pictures because I liked them.
Hayden turned 12 on the 4th. this was taken at his Priesthood ordination and those are his father's hands on his shoulders.
Porter turned 18 on the 5th. He was standing with his family at Devynne's wedding, their arms around each other.
Stephanie's birthday is June 6th, D Day. Joel's arm is around her. They were at the cultural celebration practice.
Grandpa Hiatt turned 89 on the 9th. This picture was at our anniversary party. My arm was around him.
Nathan's birthday is the 17th. He is standing with Hannah and Shauna at Hannah's graduation and they have their arms around each other.
Stetson turned 22 on the 17th. He is standing with his dad and grandpa at Crew's ordination to the Priesthood. They all have their arms around each other.
Josh's birthday is the 18th. Guess whose arm is around him?? Of course, you're right. That's why he looks so happy.
June 6 is meaningful to a lot of people. It is Stephanie's birthday, of course, and it is D day, the day the Allies liberated France from the Nazis...also the day Joel and Jeremy were in France for the the 70th anniversary of that event. But to Daynen, it will always be the day he received his mission call to BRAZIL! He didn't want to wait until his dad got home, so he opened it right away and called to give us his good news. He is going to the Brazil Fortaleza East Mission. It is right up near the equator by the Amazon. Porter will be at one end of the Amazon in Bolivia and Daynen will be at the other in Brazil. He doesn't leave until November! I guess it takes a long time to get a visa to Brazil. We posted Porter's call to Bolivia last month if you want to go back and see it.
When we went to Mesa for Hayden's ordination to the Aaronic Priesthood, we took our missionary board so Daynen could pin his mission on it. We will take it to Colorado in August when we go to Porter's farewell so he can pin on Bolivia.
While I was in Mesa, I had some outpatient surgery to help my back. All the Mesa kids (Gilbert kids) came by the condo to wish me well, and to wish Dad a happy Fathers' Day.
We went to Jeremy and Erika's ward on Sunday, the 15th, so we could be there for Hayden's ordination. He was ordained by his father, assisted by his grandpa and brother, Daynen, and the Bishop. We had Tayte, who was set apart as the secretary of the Teachers' Quorum, stand in the picture too.
Sunday was also Fathers' Day, so we went to see Grandpa Hiatt. He wasn't doing very well that day. He had a sore throat and couldn't talk or swallow, so he even refused to drink water and was getting severely dehydrated.
Even still, he threw kisses to Grandma and insisted that she throw one back to him.
Jeremy's family was there when we were, so he and Daynen and Dad gave Grandpa a blessing.
It was hard to leave him, feeling so unwell, but Karl came by later and started him on an IV to rehydrate him. He felt better almost immediately. Karl and Erika had a good time talking medicine together.
When we got home on Monday, the Safford (and Thatcher) kids came over for a Fathers' Day FHE.
The very next weekend, we went back to Mesa, this time to be with Daynen when he went through the Mesa Temple for his endowment. It was the morning of our 50th anniversary party, so several of his uncles and aunts and cousins, as well as parents and grandparents and even his Beals adopted grandparents were able to be with him. What a joy that was. Dad and I both felt that seeing so many of our children and grandchildren in the Temple was truly "joy and rejoicing in our posterity."
Several of us went to the El Charro for lunch after the Temple. When I was a girl, my parents and their friends always went to Matta's after the Temple. I didn't even know El Charro existed until I married into an El Charro family! I have to say that one little fact, (that we have been an El Charro family) has helped us have a happy 50 years.
We had a wonderful 50th anniversary party on the 21st. It was held in a reception center in San Tan. We didn't want a formal reception, just our family and siblings...and parents. I think it is very unusual for someone to be celebrating a 50th wedding anniversary with both their parents still alive. I've never known anyone. So, we decided to have it in Mesa so Grandpa and Grandma could be there. It was such fun to be there with everyone. We had good food and a short program and fun reminiscing about life in a huge family. We can't begin to express how much we appreciate all the work and planning that went into this great party. All our children put their heads together and came up with just what we wanted...the perfect party. We know it took a lot of effort and stress, and we thank all of you so much. We especially want to thank Nathan and Daniel for traveling so far to be with us. It really meant a lot to us to have them there. All nine of our children were there! It makes me weepy, even now, to think about it.
This is the first thing we saw when we arrived. Our picture in front of 50 glorious red roses. We didn't know then, but found out later, that they were a gift from Nathan and Shauna and their family. We even brought them all the way home to Safford, seat belted in our car, and they are currently sitting on our kitchen table, making it look elegant.
We posed for a picture with ourselves...young vs. old.
We posed for a picture with ourselves...young vs. old.
There was so much fabulous food! Fruit and vegetable platters and cheese and cracker platters just to begin, then steak and chicken and choices of yummy desserts. The kids even got chicken fingers and fries if they preferred. We also got cards from well-wishers, including a handmade one from Brianna. Nicole, Jeremy and Jenn took several of these pictures. The rest are just from my phone, except one good one of the siblings from Daynen. If any of the rest of you have a good picture you want to share, send it to me and I'll put it on and it will at least be in the blog book.
We always enjoy seeing cousins and siblings getting together and enjoying each others' company. We were so glad so many of my siblings and Carolyn and John could come.
The kids all stood in front and told stories about their youth, what they could remember, anyway, making us all laugh at how much fun it was to be a huge family. Dad and I enjoyed listening to them reminisce.
But at one point, I just couldn't restrain myself from jumping up to put the record straight.
We also enjoyed the video Mary made for us. She made it as if we were newlyweds and this was our wedding video. We loved it. I definitely want that put on my apple tv so I can watch it anytime I want. That is, when we get the new vs old computer thing figured out.
Toward the end, we all took pictures of each other. Group pictures and individual pictures.
Seventy years and fifty years.
I think everyone was anticipating not being able to have very many more picture-taking opportunities with Grandpa Hiatt, so many of them posed with him. This is the only one I saw of someone posing with Grandma. If you have one, send it to me.
What a beautiful group. This is everyone who came. Grandpa and Grandma, all our children, grandchildren and brothers and sisters who were able to be with us. Have you ever seen so many gorgeous people in one group?
The picture below is just kids and grandkids. Believe it or not, there were 21 of us missing! Including our three missionaries. I don't know if I will ever see the day we have a whole, complete family picture again in my lifetime. The big kids (Nathan, Joel, Daniel and Rebecca) were not able to have their whole families there. The little kids (Jeremy, Rachel and Esther) and the babies (Thomas and Mary) all had their entire families with them. That probably won't happen again as Daynen and Porter are leaving for their missions and then others will go or get married or go away for one reason or another. I guess that is what happens even though it tears at my heart whenever someone goes away. I miss them so much and so I cherish every opportunity, as you all well know, to get family pictures, but I fear I won't be able to get a complete family photo ever again, maybe until my funeral :-(
When we got home from Mesa, on Sunday morning, Mary and her family came over and brought dinner. It was so nice not to have to fix it myself. I was worn out.
Jared does just what Dad says I do...tries to carry too many things at once.
The next night, Thomas and his family came over for an FHE that Thomas Wyatt planned. He wrote a play and had a script and everything.
Here are the actors, taking a bow.
Here is Dad with the new computer. Oh my goodness, the less said about that the better.
Polly brought over a copy of the Courier so that we could see this announcement that her mom had put in. She actually had to fight a little bit to get it in, but we appreciate it. Because of this ad, we have had several people congratulate us and even send us cards. Thanks Rebecca.
On the 28th, Dad was asked to seal Chris Taylor and his bride, Sarah Davis. She works for Thomas and Joel at the El Charro.
EARTHQUAKE!!!
Yes, we had an earthquake in Safford. That night, after we got home from the Taylor's reception, I was in the bathtub when suddenly the walls started shaking and the water started sloshing and I could hear loud rumbling. I immediately thought of earthquake. I have only experienced one before, in San Diego several years ago, but once you've experienced it you never forget how it feels. Of course, we were not surprised in San Diego, but in Safford? In my bathtub? Still, I knew what it was. I called Dad and asked him if he thought it was an earthquake, and he said, "well, either that or a big truck rolled by." As we saw the news after it happened, it was said to be a 5.2 and centered in Duncan-ish.
The next day, Sunday, we went to 3rd Ward to hear Dallin speak, and Thatcher 6th Ward to hear Thomas and Jenn speak before going to our ward to finish off. All everyone visited about in their foyer and hallway conversations was the earthquake! Dallin and Thomas and Jenn all did a fabulous job with their discorsos, and Thomas was the only one who mentioned the earthquake from the pulpit :-)
We received this picture to finish off our Sabbath. Porter was ordained an Elder by his Dad, assisted by his Bishop and a high councilor. He is so ready to be a missionary. He was even eager to get home from Germany so he could start getting ready for his mission. He and Daynen have been preparing all their lives for this calling and they are ready.
NEWS FROM AROUND THE FAMILY
NATHAN & SHAUNA
Josh and Nicole have moved back to Mesa!!! Hooray! Here they are with her family at, guess where? Matta's!
Here are the 50 beautiful roses they sent to us, gracing our kitchen table, having made the journey home in tact. And they're still beautiful after a whole week!
Beautiful young couples, Bethany and Palmer, Josh and Nicole.
Fun times.
JOEL & STEPHANIE
This month has been another stressful one for Joel. He had the big 70th anniversary of Dday in Normandy. They had a huge commemorative parade, featuring veterans from World War II. It was held in the village of St. Mere Iglese, just above the Normandy beach. That is the place where a soldier parachuted down and got caught on the spires of the church. They still hang his effigy on that church as a reminder of how much they appreciate the Allies who liberated them from the Nazis. Joel said the French people were so welcoming, many of them flying and even wearing American flags and all of them turning out to see the parade. In fact, it got so crowded that they almost had to march single file down the street. Some of the French people dressed in period costumes, reflecting the 1940's. They also visited the beautiful Luxembourg Gardens, among other places.
They stayed in a quaint French cottage.
Joel took one of his large flat-screen TVs to Grandma Hiatt's so she can watch it from her bed. Grandpa won't go to bed without her, so she just lies there, wide awake, looking around, maybe reading, but wishing she had a TV. So Joel took her one of his and installed it for her.
Stetson has been having a lot of fun this month, both playing and working.
He got to accompany a Legacy Tours group. This picture, as you can see, is taken in Kirtland Ohio.
DANIEL & CONNIE
Connie's amazing cakes for June. Actually, Analynn's bday was the last of May, but she got her cake in June. Porter's sported a German birthday wish because he was on his way to Germany on his birthday.
The little kids participated in a Strawberry Days parade. It was all a lot of fun until Analynn jumped off the float to rescue something that fell off and got run over by the very float she was trying to save. She has to wear the boot, but her foot isn't broken. Some tendons torn, I think.
The very next day, after Daniel drove home from Mesa, he got back in the car with Shadrach and Albert and went to Washington to take Devynne her car. While they were there, they went to a baseball game....Devynne's very first one ever...Seattle won!
Another happy, loving couple
Enjoying the incredible Washington scenery.
Devynne and Brock went crabbing with friends several times. Crabs in their hands??! Alive??!
She has obviously become very domestic and cooks the most important things.
She got 100% in her hunters' safety class!
Oh my goodness! Porter had the most amazing trip ever. He went with his cousin to visit their aunt and uncle who live in Munich, Germany. They stayed there three weeks! So they got to go to a lot of really amazing places and see some fabulous sights. They traveled all around Germany, went to Prague and even Venice. Maybe other places, too.
REBECCA & SCOTT
Rebecca invited us to a dinner that Dallin cooked, including homemade rolls. Polly was sporting the YW Camp t shirt that Rebecca and Rachel and Thomas designed.
Rebecca invited us to a dinner that Dallin cooked, including homemade rolls. Polly was sporting the YW Camp t shirt that Rebecca and Rachel and Thomas designed.
Engagement pictures..another beautiful, happy couple.
Esther and Harrison went with them to pick out a suit for Dallin's wedding.
They also bought a car!!!
While they were there they took a turn helping Grandpa go to bed. Rebecca said he joked and teased the whole time. He may have lost a lot of his youthful characteristics, but he hasn't lost his sense of humor.
Lillian and Polly had an adventure this month. They flew, by themselves, to Idaho, where they were met by Allison and Taylor. They spent a week with them, enjoying Idaho and Wyoming...even snow...before they went to AFY at BYUI. The other kid in the pictures below is Taylor's brother.
And yet another, beautiful, happy couple. I guess that's what this month is all about, anyway, isn't it?
AFY is Adventure for Youth, and they really did have an adventurous time. They loved it.
I know Dallin's Italy trip was last month, but I just found these pictures on Facebook, so I decided to put them in. One of them is of the cafeteria in the Vatican!
Polly spent some pretty intense weeks at summer league basketball.
JEREMY & ERIKA
Reygan and Tayte off to Girls' camp and Scout camp.
Daynen with his parents after his endowment in the Mesa Temple.
Erika starting a surgery rotation. I still remember how much I appreciated the surgical skills of the PA, Ken Larson, who sewed our neighbor's granddaughter's ear back on after Ollie tore it off!
She came upon this wreck on her way to school and stopped to help. Daynen was so proud, he posted this on Facebook and I copied it.
Jeremy went to France with Joel and company. It is because of him that I have any pictures at all!
Crowded parade route.
RACHEL & TONY
Rachel went to Mesa during June and visited Esther. She made them dinner.
Rachel was in charge of the Activity Girls' Day camp, and she designed these shirts, based on President Hinkley's "Be's." Cute models!
They have spent quite a bit of time at the Pima public pool, rather than swimming for free at our house or Rebecca's, because they like the high dive!
Waiting for snow cones.
They and The Biggs kids and the Richins kids (see Carson in the yellow shirt?) participated in the Library's summer reading program. Here, they are making robots, I think.
Rylie got a job working at El Charro. I have to say she really adds class to an already classy place! Here, she is bringing us our chips and salsa.
They have just arrived at their beach campground for a week of California beach fun. We'll see more of that in July's blog.
ESTHER & SHAD
Bridger participated in basketball camp
Harrison had a job tutoring math. Here, he is with his student.
They went to the Sea Life Aquarium with friends
Brody lost some teeth.
I asked Esther why none of the pictures she sent had Marlie in them. She said it is because Marlie is never there! She is spending her summer hanging out with her friends.
Esther has taken the opportunity to help Grandpa with his bedtime routine a couple of times. This last time, she brought Harrison along to be the muscle. Grandpa can't really help himself get up very well so he needs someone else's muscles. She said he seemed engaged in what was going on and was cracking jokes just as he has always done.
THOMAS & JENN
Thomas at Cub Scout Day camp
Kirtlyn participated in a music camp put on by Kelly Van Shar. They had to perform at the end of the week...some even doing solos.. She did absolutely great! She had Mary style her hair for the occasion.
Maya participated in Jenny Tuttle's dance class and performed a dance at the end. She loved it.
The kids made a big fuss over their dad for Fathers' Day. He got an ice-cream freezer and has even shared some yummy home made ice cream with us.
Thomas has to go to Mesa from time to time to get things for the restaurant, and has made it a practice to go help Grandpa Hiatt with his bedtime routine. Here, the kids are posing with Grandma at one of their visits.
At the FHE after Thomas' play, the kids demonstrated their tricks.
Maya's flip.
Thomas' front flip on the trampoline.
Hyrum's "crazy dance."
Kirtlyn and Henry enjoying it all.
MARY & TYSON
Lindsay got glasses this month.
The whole family had the opportunity to vacation at a nice resort and be pampered for a few days, thanks to Edward Jones, Tyson's new employer.
They even had a family-fun day with a family dance at the end. Their group won the dance contest, I think.
Mary's family went to church, after their Jones weekend, in a ward in Esther's building. Esther saw them in the hall and stopped for a hug and a picture.
OUR MISSIONARIES
Our missionaries are doing great. They are working hard and having a wonderful time. DeWitt and Levi are winding down and wishing they could stay longer. Parker is right in the middle of his mission and loving it.
DEWITT
LEVI
SOMETHING TO MAKE YOU SMILE
Soren is ready for anything. I asked Esther if he was getting ready to go any particular place and she said, "No, he just likes to fill his backpacks with anything he might need, food, clothes, toys, etc, and wear them around...just in case." I especially like the hat and the glasses.
I don't know what this is all about...I only know that Mary texted that she might need bail!
Well, June has been a month filled with Romance, family, trips, heat and survival...even surviving an earthquake! Thank you for sharing your pictures with me. It is so much fun to go back and look at what you have been doing. Summer is 1/3 over already and you will all be thinking about going back to school altogether too soon. But even that brings its own kind of fun and picture-taking opportunities. Just remember, as you do all the cool things you do that we love you more than you can possibly believe and that we are so interested in your lives. Keep on keeping us posted. See you in July.






























































7 comments:
way to go mom! this blog was extra appreciated because you wrote it several times! What a great month! I always love the months the whole fam can get together! we have the best family ever and we have you and dad to thank!
What a fun month Mom. And of course, the blog seems to capture it all beautifully! Thank you for all your extra, extra work on this months post!
Grandma it was a stupendous blog as always! I love you and Grandpa so very much for being married in the temple so our family could be together forever. The pictures and commentaries were wonderful and I am so grateful you document our lives in this beautiful way. Thank you and I love you!
~Devynne Marie
Awesome month! Great work on the blog!!
Great Blog! Thanks for your hard work! and just wanted to say I love this family too. Standing up at the anniversary party with all 9 of us and looking at the incredible spouses of the 9 and missing the ones who couldn't make it. It was sort of an emotional thing for me, what love and support we have for each other. Thank you parents and family for all and everything!!!
Post a Comment