Hawaii, our 50th state, is so amazingly lovely that it's hard to come home from there. Hannah is serving her mission there now, and I imagine it will be hard to leave.
Dad and I have spent quite a bit of time in beautiful Hawaii, through the bank, and with Joel, and Joel and Jeremy have spent more than quite a bit of time there as they have been producing the Pearl Harbor memorial celebration for several years.
Washington is also a beautiful state, made even more so by the addition of Allison and Devynne! And Harvey, of course. It's a perfect place for the outdoors-type-of-man, which Taylor and Brock definitely are. And they've made outdoors-type-of-women of their beautiful wives.
Kentucky is where Daniel served his mission. It is a historic state with so much American Frontier History, and is famous for its bourbon, of course, but even more so for its horse breeding and racing. Daniel loved it. Jill Emery is from Kentucky and her dad was a stake president while Daniel was serving there. I don't think they ran into each other, though.
This has been the hottest, and at the same time, wettest June I have seen in years! June is typically our hottest, driest month because even though we don't usually have the temperature spikes that come around in July and August, (it is usually a consistent 105-110) we don't often have clouds or rain in June to give us any relief. Well, this month it was up to 115 in Safford! And while we were in Mesa for a few days, it was up to 122!! And we have had a couple of pre-monsoon rain storms. They have been so nice. I hope it's just the beginning of a long rainy season.
In spite of the heat, whenever we have a day or two off, Dad gets on his tractor and mows the lawn or hoes weeds. He and Alex cooled off with some Otter pops.
We totally kept our pool busy and were so thankful for a place to cool off. Thanks to Dad who keeps the water so clear and clean. I scrub the tiles and vacuum, but it wouldn't be any good with green water! Dad is very diligent.
Then we had a lovely, cooling rain storm and a few cloudy days giving us an almost autumn-like feeling with the temperatures in the 90's. Nice!
Isabel sent me this picture of the sunset on the night of the storm.
Our June birthdays are also so cool that they're HOT!
Our precious little Aila LOV came into the world and into our family...our first...and maybe from the looks of things, our last great granddaughter! At least for a while. (We know that Mary and Devynne are both having boys. We haven't heard from Bethany yet, so we don't know. ) Aila LOV (pronounced AYla Elohvee) was born on June 1st, to Porter and Alta. Isn't she just so beautiful?
Hayden turned 14 on the 4th.
Porter, new father, had his birthday on the 5th.
Stephanie's birthday was the 6th, D Day, and Joel stayed home from France to be with her this year.
Stetson's birthday was the 17th.
Nathan's birthday was the 17th (Big 50!) Looks pretty good for 50, doesn't he?
And Joshua's was the 18th.
Our 52nd anniversary was the 19th. Rachel took the left picture as we were leaving the Temple one afternoon when she was there. The other one was taken on our anniversary at Joel's.
~OUR JUNE~
We started June with a wonderful surprise. Aila LOV. She was born on June 1st, at 12:57 p.m., and weighed 7lbs, 5 oz. She was a tiny 18 inches. Porter face timed us so we got to see her. I can hardly wait to see her for real. It has been great to finally get to hold Parley and Harvey, but I won't feel complete until I hold Aila in my arms too.
The Safford Stake went to girls' camp the first week in June. Rebecca and Rachel didn't go this year, for a change, but Thomas and Jenn were called to be 4th year leaders, so they got to go on the 4th year high adventure. I think they had a great time and I know the girls were blessed to have them as their leaders. They are perfect for that calling. Polly, Isabel and Kirtlyn also went this year. It was Polly's last year, Isabel's YCL year and Kirtlyn's first year. Polly, Isabel and Thomas and Jenn all got their Liahona camp awards. Kirtlyn will be able to get hers in a couple of years. It takes a lot of work at camp, plus, for the girls, attending for 3 years, I think.
Rebecca's babies came to visit in June. First, Parley came, bringing his parents, then Harvey showed up with Allison. Taylor was in Mexico, recruiting workers, so I never saw him, but we made up for it by giving his baby lots of love.
On the 17th, Nathan's and Stetson's birthdays, Dad and I went to Mesa. What were we thinking??? They were having a major heat wave. I always thought that once it hit 110 it was hot enough that you couldn't tell when it got hotter. Not so. I could tell. 122 is just darn hot. That's all. Fortunately, we had cool places to visit and saw all the kids. We celebrated our anniversary on Saturday, setting out from the condo to go to dinner and to a movie. My Fathers' Day gift to Dad was to let him pick all the places to eat while we were there. We ate at El Charro, of course, then Souper Salad, then Pete's Fish and Chips then on Monday before we came home, we ate at PF Chang's. We went to the movie to see Saturday's Warrior. Then on Monday morning the girls and I were planning to see Love and Friendship but it wasn't on, so we saw Me Before You. It was a very good movie, but I cried. It was sad. Reygan, Esther, Stephanie and I sat in a practically empty theater at 8:00 in the morning and cried.
We went to church with Esther's family as Bridger was giving a talk in Sacrament meeting. When we got there we saw that Harrison was the ward organist that day. It was also Esther's lesson Sunday in Relief Society. I enjoyed it all.
All the Mesa kids and grandkids ate dinner with us that night at Joel's, to celebrate Fathers' Day and our anniversary. It was such a gift just to see everyone. I made each family pose with us. I'm sure they didn't want to but it made me happy, so they did it. Now I need to get the other families to do it.
When we came home, we brought Ellie with us. She loved being here with her cousins, but I think she especially loved being here with Parley...and Alex. Allison and Harvey had already gone home, so she didn't get to meet him. She is such a baby whisperer, just like Jeremy. Kirtlyn is too. And because she has younger brothers and sisters, she has had opportunities to practice, as do Brianna and Lindsay. And, of course, Shannyn and Analynn have little brothers and a sister, plus a new baby. The twins just are happy to play with everyone, no matter what age they are.
On the 21st, Rebecca, Rachel and Mary and I went to the Temple and it felt good to just go as a patron, and to be with the girls. Jenn was not able to go that morning, and we missed her.
We went to R&R Pizza after the temple and then that afternoon Mary did haircuts. I'm happy to say that DeWitt is clean shaven now and looks like his handsome self again.

Esther and her boys, except for Harrison, who had to work, came on the 23rd for a couple of days. Marlie also stayed home. It was fun to have them even though we were serving in the Temple the whole time they were here. But I don't think they even missed us. They played with cousins and sisters and babies and swam and had fun...I hope.
Vigilant moms lifeguarding.
I think Bridger and Alex look more like each other than either of them look like their brothers; Watch out, Sara, Esther is a notorious baby eater! The bottom picture is the gaggle of girls hanging out at Mary's one of the evenings that Ellie was here.
Dad teaching Alex all about his mini John Deere tractors; Alex and Grandma watching Dora.
Meeting with Thomas while he helped DeWitt and Deanna design their wedding announcement. The interesting thing about it is that he hadn't even proposed to her yet! He did, though, later that night.
On Sunday, the 26th, Dad and I spoke at the Duncan Stake Conference. I loved going there. We have so many Temple workers from the Duncan Stake and they are all so faithful. So many of them are my favorite friends from the Temple and I guess I just didn't realize that they were all from the Duncan Stake. It was fun to see them. We spoke with the Passeys, who are the Mission President and his wife, and Elder Frost, the Area Authority, and Sister Frost. Both of them were so friendly and personable. Of course, we see the Passeys a lot at all the Stake Conferences and whenever they bring missionaries to the Temple. I especially liked Sister Frost...so normal and gracious with no condescending sweetness. They served us a delicious dinner after the conference, but I was too worried about getting woozy, so I didn't eat much. But that's ok because Rebecca invited us to dinner afterwards to celebrate DeWitt and Deanna's engagement.
On Monday, we had the assignment to iron the curtains and veils at the Temple. Our thanks to Thomas and Dallin and Rachel and Mary, who came and helped us. To thank them, we all went to Denny's for brunch.
NEWS FROM AROUND THE FAMILY
~NATHAN AND SHAUNA~
The big news for the Nathan and Shauna Biggs family is the addition of a new baby! We are so happy for Bethany and Palmer. And he/she will be an Arizona baby! A desert rat like his/her great grandparents. We are so excited for them.
He/she is really in there!
Getting ready to move to Arizona.
Nathan and Shauna celebrated their anniversary in June and took a trip to San Francisco to celebrate. I've been there, but I never saw so much as I've seen just in their pictures! Thanks for sharing your trip with us.
From Josh the Preservationist
From Hannah in Hawaii
Nathan and Josh almost share a birthday! Nathan is the 17th of June and Josh is the 18th of June, so they usually celebrate together. They also celebrate Fathers' Day (this year the 19th, our anniversary) on the same weekend; The bottom photo is of Josh and friends taking a day trip to Des Moines.
The Omaha Biggs family took a couple of members of the Gilbert Biggs family to dinner when Stetson and Lindsay went their way to check out Creighton, in Omaha, as a law school possibility
~JOEL AND STEPHANIE~
Just imagine the above photo copied and pasted in this spot. Stetson and Lindsay have still not settled on a law school! Yes, I know that school starts in less than two months, but they have so many possibilities that they haven't decided on the best one yet. Hopefully, that will be an announcement in the July blog :-}
Joel and Docker and Crew went on their stake's Pioneer trek in June. I can't imagine what the Valley stakes are thinking to send these kids out in June to do a trek! But at least they look like they will be shielded from the sun with those wonderful broad-brimmed hats.
Stephanie's sister's daughter got married and they used the Biggs' fabulous back yard for their reception.
Stetson and Lindsay at dinner with us. Crew got his braces off! He goes every morning at 8:00 a.m. to practice baseball. He's an amazing pitcher already. It's fun to watch him. He looks like Randy Johnson, only cuter...long and lean.
The Joel and Stephanie Biggs family with the grandparents.
Docker and Crew went on the Church History tour this month. It looks like they're at the Palmyra Temple, the Hill Cumorah and the Sacred Grove.
Here they are at the Kirtland Temple. Levi and Stetson and Lindsay accompanied the tour, for which, thankfully, Stetson had to shave! :-)
The Nauvoo Temple and Parley Street.
Good dinner somewhere and Carthage.
~DANIEL AND CONNIE~
Life at the Colorado Biggs home is all about baby Aila LOV. Before the baby was born, Porter and Alta got a family car, then on the 1st of June, she was here! So beautiful and so beloved.
Going home from the hospital.
I wonder if she gets held and cuddled enough???
So pretty!!
Porter's birthday Connie Cake. The stork brought him a wonderful gift this year.
It wasn't long before the whole Porter and Alta family felt like going horseback riding!
The Strawberry Days festival was held in June in Glenwood Springs. Shannyn took this picture from the top of the ferris wheel. Thanks to Shannyn for several of the pictures in their section. I'm so thankful that she posts pictures from time to time. Unfortunately, however, since she's taking the pictures, she's not in them! I know how that is, Shannyn.
After marching in the Strawberry Days parade, the Biggs family went out to their own personal river to cool off their feet.
Sweet little pregnant Devynne in her lovely summer dress that she made, with the help of her mother-in-law.
Visiting Brock's grandparents
Daniel was sure glad for a neighbor with a tractor when his truck slid off an embankment, almost into the river!
From Shadrach in California. He and his companion got home to their apartment and saw this! But, luckily, it turned out to be a fire at the park by their house.
Big news!! The Daniel and Connie Biggs family just officially became the "Biggs Dozen." Syrina Jordyn Joyce, Raymond Julian, and Alonzo Victor are part of our Biggs Bunch. We are grandparents again :-)
~REBECCA AND SCOTT~
Polly at camp, with friends and with her cousin Nicole.
The Evans family made their annual summer trek to Rocky Point, taking Dallin and Sara and Parley with them.
Then Allison and Harvey came. Taylor, in the meantime, was in Mexico recruiting workers.
So Rebecca brought the babies to our house to get acquainted with some extended family.
At the Evans house, for most of June, it's been all about holding babies!
Even two at a time!
Taylor came to spend the last couple of days for their first annual Evans family reunion. They tried to include Lillian wherever they could.
When Allison went home, Polly went to visit her in Washington.
DeWitt's big news this month is DEANNA! She said "Yes!"
From Lillian in the Philippines. She's been called to be a trainer.
~JEREMY AND ERIKA~
Jeremy and Erika went to France to take care of the DDay celebration. They went to England on the way and had an absolutely fabulous time in England and France!
No jumping off the cliff? With the mayor of St. Mer Iglise
Reygan and Erika with Michael McLean
Tayte and Hayden, super heroes! They conquered the dreaded oleander.
Absolutely amazing Reygan! The drawing looks like Thoroughly Modern Millie.
Ellie did this fantastic painting of Dallin holding Parley with an app on her phone. I love it!
When we went by their house to get Ellie, we found them enjoying the coolness of being inside, playing games with a friend. The same friend who is going to Philadelphia on his mission. He's a Randall. His grandparents work in the Temple with us.
From Daynen in Brazil.
~RACHEL AND TONY~
Isabel at camp...with Thomas, and with Polly.
The twins have been enjoying the pool during our heat wave.
But Brynlie got a touch of swimmer's ear. Also checking out the Oriental Trading catalog to see what to order for the treasure box.
Better than a carnival ride! Also, the twins have a job of taking care of a neighbor's dog.
Luke at Scout camp.
Rylie and Isabel crashing someone's wedding on the mountain. Also, one day when Rachel and Luke were shopping at Walmart, they had a bomb scare and made everyone leave.
Bowling for FHE; And massaging Grandma's aching hands.
Rachel designed a wall for Kathy Konopnicki and has received some accolades for it, even from the store where she bought some of the items. They want to use it in their advertising.
~ESTHER AND SHAD~
Their summer started off with a trek. A trek in Gilbert in June...go figure. You can tell how excited they are to go. The bottom pictures are when they got home...totally depleted!!
Soren Superhero; Marlie and friends; With the Biggs boys on Hayden's birthday; Soren enjoying the "alone time" he said he needed.
Swim team, and basketball camp
~THOMAS AND JENN~
At camp..."Tootie Taw."
With the 4th years. Look at Jenn repelling. What a woman!
Cooling off in the pool. Henry went from not wanting to even get in, to jumping to his dad and loving it.
At an art show for Andra Jensen, one of our Temple workers. She's amazing. Reminds me of Reygan.
At the David Archuleta concert. He came to the temple the day before his concert, but we didn't see him. He was just walking in as we were walking out the side door, finished for the day. Mary's father-in-law checked him in and didn't realize who he was until some temple workers told him later.
Kirtlyn made this chain to count the days until Jenn's science class was finished. It was very hard, including, biology, zoology, physics, etc. She's working toward a BA in special ed. The bottom photo is after her 5-hour test. She passed!
Thomas went to the movie The Shallows, with Shad and Tyson, after a long day in which he hadn't had time to eat. He started feeling woozy during a gruesome scene in the movie and went to the bathroom where he promptly passed out, hitting his face on the tile floor!!!
~MARY AND TYSON~
Alex, all ready for his first day in the nursery. I hope the nursery leaders were prepared for him!
The family went to an Edward Jones summer family retreat and had a ball! It was in Sedona. They went to Sunsplash before they went to Sedona.
After their fantastic retreat, they went to Cotton City to spend time with their Richins grandparents who set up a water slide to help them keep cool. The Richins have become Temple workers and it's fun to see them every week.
Beating the heat: They each got their own carton of ice cream; summer haircuts; playing in the rain; enjoying the pool.
Wildlife in their back yard. A king snake which they welcome as he keeps other snakes away and a family of quail. They counted 13 babies. They also have a plethora of rabbits, eating their flowers. The Temple is plagued with rabbits as well. They have been eating the tubes that are placed in the flower beds so that we can't water the flowers. Terrible timing with weddings taking place at this time of year.
~OUR MISSIONARIES~
From Daynen in Brazil.
From Daynen in Brazil.
From Hannah in Hawaii.
From Lillian in the Philippines.
From Shadrach among the Hmong in California.
~SOMETHING TO MAKE YOU SMILE~
I'd buy him, for sure!
The cutest nerds I've ever seen!
There's something so restful about holding a sleeping baby :-)
Esther getting her first bite of Parley!
I think he definitely looks like his dad...it's all in the hands!
For some reason, I really enjoy reading things that make me feel special to be an Arizona girl.
In case you don't know, I have become totally converted to the Temple. I firmly believe that if you will go to the Temple together, frequently and regularly, your marriages and your families will be strong and protected from the evils of the world. I say that with confidence. Go to a session together, or sealings, even do initiatories, then sit in the Celestial Room holding hands. Quietly absorb the spirit there, or quietly talk about concerns. It will be a blessing to you, I promise, and worth the sacrifice of time to do it. You may not feel the impact in your life at first, but keep going. It has taken me years to see that going to the Temple is more than just doing my duty. Hopefully, you all are not as slow as I am and will sense the Lord's blessing in your lives much sooner than I have.
We love you all so much and want you to have all the blessings the Lord offers to you.































































































































No comments:
Post a Comment