The October birthstone that goes in Mothers' rings and other jewelry, is usually the tourmaline, a beautiful pink stone. But since one of my October children is a son, I'm glad to know that he doesn't have to settle for a pink stone. October is one of the lucky months that has two birthstones. The fiery, elegant, beautiful opal is the other option. I have always loved opals because they seem almost alive...not just a rock. Their colors dance and change and sparkle.
Just like our sparkling October birthdays.
Shannyn turned sweet 16 on the 9th
Mary's birthday is the 11th
Rylie turned 20 on the 15th
Joel's birthday was the 19th...number 50!
These gorgeous pumpkins are from Roma Lee's parents' farm. They have a haunted pumpkin patch event every year and this year Erika took her kids to participate.
Daniel sent me this beautiful autumn door decoration. It makes me feel so festive every time I even drive by our house.
The first day of October was the 2nd session of General Conference. We cooked a turkey and everyone came over to help prepare it and to eat it between Sunday sessions.
Grandpa took the kids out to plant some veggies in his new raised garden while the feast was being set out.
Waiting to eat.
Delicious dinner
Cleaning up
Watching conference
Between sessions, we received the news that dear Elder Hales passed away.
On the 11th, Daniel FaceTimed us so we could see Shadrach's homecoming. Thomas and his family came over and helped us get it up on the tv so we all could see. This is just a picture of the tv. I am so thankful for modern technology that makes it possible for us to enjoy these precious moments that would have been impossible even 5 years ago.
On the 15th, Rylie's 20th birthday, we went to hear Tony and Camille talk in church and then were invited to a wonderful, yummy birthday dinner at Rachel's house. Every time I try to take panoramic shots, someone's face looks distorted. This time it is poor Rachel. Sorry, Rachel
While we were waiting, Isabel told us all about her plans to become a nurse. She is now in the phlebotomy section of her studies and is getting really good at drawing blood...like DeWitt, the professional phlebotomist.
Allison and Harvey came to Safford to visit that week, and they came over to take advantage of Mary's haircutting skills. So did Dad and I, for that matter. Mary gave Harvey his very first haircut, and taught Allison how to keep it trimmed.
I enjoyed having Harvey warm up to me a little. Having Alex and Ethan there, not being afraid of me, helped him to think maybe I wasn't so scary.
On the 18th, our ward had a Fall Festival. It was held in the cul-de-sac by our lots. We walked over there for a little while, just long enough to put in an appearance and take pictures of our kids.
On the 19th, Joel's 50th birthday, we went to Mesa to celebrate with him. Stephanie planned a very special evening, with Superman as the theme, dinner at one of his favorite restaurants, and invited family to enjoy it with him. Nathan and Shauna were in town and were able to come! Also, Rachel, Thomas and Jenn and Mary came from Safford, and of course, Jeremy and Erika and Esther and Shad and their families were there. Rebecca wasn't able to go because it was the week that Allison and Harvey were there. It was a wonderful evening, except the man of the hour was sick as a dog! He greeted people then had to lie down in his car while everyone ate. Levi planned and emcee'd a fun raffle, at which everyone won a prize. Joel even missed all that fun. But he came back, trying to be tough, for the cake and gifts...and pictures.
On the 22nd Dad and I were assigned to speak in the Safford Stake Conference. The theme was Self Reliance, but of course, we related it to the Temple.
My dear cousin and friend, Deone Flake Croff, Sandy's sister, died from cancer that week. Because she was just 2 years older than Sandy and me, she taught us how to be teenagers. She was always so current on what was fun and popular and I learned to like Doris Day and Gordon McRae from her.
On the 24th, Brianna had a choir concert scheduled. I left the temple early so I could go because she had a solo, but when I got there, it was dark. Luckily, Mary was in front and came to tell me that it had been postponed because of a wreck in front of EAC that knocked out the power. I turned around and went back to the temple, changed back into my whites and finished my shift.
It was rescheduled for the 26th, when I was off. Fortunately it was early because I had already committed to go to Kirtlyn's concert that night, at which she, too, was singing a solo. I went to Brianna's, rushed away when it was over, and negotiated another wreck in front of Ashley Furniture and made it to Kirtlyn's on time. They were both so so good. Both programs were 7th and 8th grade choirs and that was where the similarities ended. Thatcher's group was huge and Safford's group was small. Thatcher sang a bunch of fun pop music and Safford sang more formal, yet beautiful, songs, with a medley from Wicked closing out the show. I enjoyed them both very much and am so glad the girls are participating in choir. It is something they will always benefit from.
On the 27th, when the kids didn't have Friday school, Rachel brought them to the temple to do baptisms. We had a few girls' names and a bunch of boys' names. Along with more girls' names that we got from the stake file, each girl was able to do 5 baptisms and Luke did 9. It was such a thrill to have them there. Dad did all the confirmations. So now, we have 5 ladies and 9 men who need the rest of their work done. Hint hint.
On Sunday, we ate dinner at Thomas and Jenn's and then had a visit from Mary's family that evening.
Alex got an umbrella from the treasure box. He is sure it would save him from the rain ( if there were any.)
We hired Matt Richins to repair the hailstorm damage our pool deck suffered last October.
HALLOWEEN🎃
I put in almost every picture anyone sent, so get ready for a Halloween overload.
The Biggs kids, the Richins kids two of the Alder kids, and one of the Evans kids came by our house on Halloween. They had to come early because we opened at 4 a.m. the next morning and couldn't stay up late. It was so much fun to see them in costume and excited for trick or treating.
Bethany says that Jovie loved trick or treating and giggled and laughed the whole time. She was less than happy about the Midwestern Halloween party earlier in the week, however...until she got her treat...a toothbrush!
Joshua's haunted house for this year. In SLC
I think they are Crew, Docker and Levi, in that order...maybe.
Daniel and Connie's kids all decked out. I think this must have been for a ward Halloween party because there is definitely no one to go trick or treating to in their neighborhood...no neighborhood.
Aila knows where the real fun of Halloween is to be found!
Harvey the Halloween llama. Not too scary, but awfully cute.
Parley as Tigger and their trunk or treat party
DeWitt and Deanna with some friends and Polly being an 80's girl. She looks very current to me🎃
Lillian and Kelin joining in the festivities.
Sneaking treats...he's just like his dad 🎃 And I love the jack-o-lanterns!
The twins were Marilyn Monroe and a prom queen. However, by the time they got to my house, Camille wasn't happy being a prom queen, so she went downstairs and found another costume. She was Cleopatra. We altered the costume to fit and gave her Cleopatra eyes and gave Brynlie luscious red lips.
Luke had homework and Rylie and Isabel had dates.
This is Harrison's digital photo of the Halloween sky in Gilbert, and one of his Halloween cupcakes.
Soren and Bridger couldn't decide what to be. They were one thing at their school party, and another that night at their cul-de-sac party.
Bridger and Marlie. It's easy to see who Bridger was, and Marlie was Deb, a girl in the Napoleon Dynamite movie.
Kirtlyn was peanut butter and her friend had a shirt that said Jelly. Thomas was a minion and Hyrum was a dead accident victim. I couldn't get him to smile the whole night because he was dead.
Maya at school and at our house
Super Henry...he wasn't acting. He is Super Henry every day.
Trick-or-treating at the neighbor's and at Polly's
They have a scary movie night every year.
Brianna was a darling dragon, I think, and Lindsay was a unique unicorn.
Carson Harry Potter Richins and Jared as a red ghoul.
Alex was so funny. When I took his picture, he struck a spiderman pose. He was so into it. And Ethan put up with it with pretty good humor although he didn't want me to paint his nose.
At their ward party and afterwards when they get to go to Walmart and pick their favorite candy rather than going trick-or-treating.
~NEWS FROM AROUND THE FAMILY~
~NATHAN AND SHAUNA~
Bethany and some of her Glendale Pinterest friends and their babies.
Darling Jovie...learning to crawl, sneaking grapes in the grocery store and just being adorable.
Palmer's early morning walk. A nice way to start the day.
Some Omaha buildings. Josh spent a week in Omaha on a school break. He loved being home.
Nathan and Shauna were able to come to Joel's birthday party. They were visiting Bethany and Palmer and Jovie. It made the party even more special for Dad and me to have Nathan and Shauna there.
Hannah and Seth with a little friend who was being baptized, and with Seth's siblings at the Winter Quarters' Temple.
Seth and his brothers celebrating their little brother's call to Brazil.
~JOEL AND STEPHANIE~
Joel's family spent some quality time in Pine, enjoying the weather and the wildlife. The temperature was still in the triple digits in the Valley, so the cool pines felt good.
Lindsay served as a bridesmaid for her friend at her Salt Lake Temple wedding.
Stetson and their huge puppy. I probably should learn his name.
Joel's 50th birthday party at Steak and Stone.
Everyone arriving and carrying in the prizes.
Nathan, Shauna, Rachel, Mary, Esther, Shad; There was a darling Dr. Seuss book from his siblings that everyone signed; DeWitt and Deanna giving him a birthday hug.
A picture of the adult table with the noticeable absence of the evening's honoree.
The big kid table. Jodi and Brian Welker and their kids were there too.
The kid table
They brought raw steak on sizzling hot rocks for you to cook to your own specifications. It was so delicious and very tender.
Joel came back in for the Superman cake.
And presents...a bidet...among other things.
He had to lean pretty heavily on his birthday cane, just to hold himself up while he expressed his thanks and love to everyone.
A sibling picture. I love it, but I can't help but miss Daniel and Rebecca who couldn't be there.
Levi has his realtor's license now and this is his first listing!
~DANIEL AND CONNIE~
Albert, Shannyn and Analynn at a fireside.
They regularly have wildlife visitations in their meadow.
Oh the joy of the dentist...at least Emma looks cool.
A beautiful mountain sunset.
Shadrach came home from his mission on the 11th of October, and was met at the airport in Grand Junction by his adoring family.
We were participating via FaceTime, and these are blurry shots of our tv. Shadrach looks so good and grown up.
This is Analynn's soccer team, waiting for the bus to take them to an away game, and then happily warm after they arrived.
Halloween shopping with Aila
Shannyn's Amazing Connie Cake for her October birthday. It is in honor of the Disneyworld trip they were planning for the end of the month. It truly is an amazing cake. It must have taken hours to do.
Shannyn in science class. She's crazy!
Devynne said that Theo was having so much fun with their pumpkin that they didn't have the heart to take it away to carve it.
Their big Orlando trip!!!
Flying in from everywhere...Thatcher to Phoenix to Orlando, St. Louis to Orlando and Colorado to Orlando.
Nice Disney Hotel rooms and fireworks to welcome them.
Fun things to do just to get started. I don't think Theo was too impressed, however.
Now the fun begins!
~REBECCA AND SCOTT~
Polly and her EAC tennis team
Harvey, dressed for any occasion.
Parley enjoying New York
And cheering up his mother when she had sinus surgery.
Deanna practicing on DeWitt...turn about is fair play, I guess. Deanna had to be the guinea pig.
Rebecca and Scott and Polly getting the last minute briefing for the DC heritage trip they were accompanying. They went to the office for information before they went to Washington to visit Allison, then straight from there to Williamsburg, VA, I think, to begin their heritage tour.
It was so much fun for them to be with Allison and Taylor and Harvey for a few days. I was impressed that they had a garden right in their front yard...pumpkins?
Polly was very serious about her responsibility in the exit seat. I don't know all the places they saw and I'm sure they are not in order. But you will recognize many of them and can see what a great time they had as they accompanied the tour.
Oh, I have to comment on this one. Rebecca is pointing to St.Johns, the epicenter of dinosaur discoveries. I actually remember finding dinosaur bone chips and skin chips in the sand out by the Blue Hills.
Dallin and Sara and Parley got to join them for part of their tour. Everything back East is so close together that for them it is like driving from one town to another is for us.
Whether on the West Coast or the East Coast, Rebecca and Scott love to read to their grandchildren, and the grandchildren love it too.
And saying "Goodbye" to those precious babies is hard no matter when or where.
Then Allison and Harvey came to visit and it helped Rebecca's hurting heart.
They went with Mary and her babies to Dino Time at the Library.
DeWitt and Deanna represented the Evans family at Joel's party.
Deanna and her colleague helping at Special Olympics.
Lillian and Kelin having lunch with their mission president and his wife.
~JEREMY AND ERIKA~
The renovated foyer of Jeremy and Erika's house. It's so warm and friendly. I like it.
Reygan's drawings from first to most recent. Look how her talent and skill have grown through practice and persistence and, I think, besides natural talent, heavenly guidance.
Her latest. Isn't that marvelous?
Erika and the kids went to Snowflake to enjoy the autumn and to participate in the Willis Farm pumpkin patch festivities. It gave her an opportunity to connect with her sweet friend, Sherry Beals and their family. Also, look who drove the tractor that pulled them through the patch.
Yummy!
One of the boys posted this picture of NYC. I don't know when or why they were there.
Daynen has been busy making his movie, The Hash-slinging Slasher. Go to youtube and see it. I don't like horror movies, but this one is funny. He also had some of his footage used in a professional movie! He's on his way.
~RACHEL AND TONY~
Luke and Tony mowing our lawn. Now it's Autumn-y and doesn't need to be mown so often.
Rachel saw the Palmers after they spoke at a devotional at EAC. She goes to class with Sara Konopnicki.
Isabel is really good at drawing blood. The students practice on each other. The blue hands are hers.
After Tony and Camille spoke in church on Rylie's birthday.
Lunch at El Charro
Graham County Fair time; Brynlie and Camille won ribbons for their artwork.
Rylie is making a jean quilt.
Rylie's 20th birthday dinner. It was so good.
A friend took this gorgeous picture of Isabel. I'm saving it for May and her birthday picture on the blog.
Rachel was hired to redecorate a young girls' room. Really nice, Rachel.
She enjoyed Allison and Harvey's visit almost as much as Rebecca did.
At Joel's birthday party.
One of her jobs for Cathy Konopnicki is to put the dog to sleep. I mean, it needs to be cuddled like a baby and it has its own stuffed dog. She gets paid well for it, thank goodness.
Their ward party included a trip to President Reed's pumpkin patch. We talked to him the next day (he is a sealer at the temple) and he was so excited to have the kids come and get pumpkins from him. He went out earlier that day and killed 10 rattlesnakes!!! In the pumpkin patch!!! I showed him this picture and he wanted a copy of it.
Luke planned a Stranger Things party for the family. I have no idea what that is, but evidently it's big among the teenage crowd.
Isabel, relaxing between cars to wash; Luke practicing to try out for the basketball team; and Isabel and Luke at Youth Conference.
Setting up a gardening table.
The twins designed and painted their own Halloween shirts.
~ESTHER AND SHAD~
Harrison took these pictures while he was at conference. He not only enjoyed the messages from the General Authorities, but the Tabernacle organ recitals as well.
A family visit to Kartchner Caverns.
To escape the fair, Mary and Tyson took their family to Mesa. One day, they took Esther's little boys with them to the movie and traded for Ethan. He looks like he was well entertained by the Brown kids.
Just down Harrison's alley...not just a symphony, but a Harry Potter symphony!
Esther had a cookie decorating party at her house with some friends.
At Joel's birthday party.
And I'm really not sure about this but I think it was a Mutual service project; Esther and her little boys hang out together on Wednesday nights while everyone else is at Mutual.
Harrison and Marlie with friends at a Halloween party.
Shad is all set up, ready for tithing settlement.
Brody is experimenting with assorted Halloween attire. I'll be interested to see what he finally settles on. Ok I just found out that the red guy is Jared, not Brody. But I didn't want to redo the collage.
One day, Bridger came home from football practice, in pain, having reinjured his sore foot. He couldn't move, so his loving big sister helped him take off his gear. The bottom picture is of the team after they won the championship.
Pumpkin carving time.
The fabulous results.
~THOMAS AND JENN~
Thomas and Thomas serving street tacos at the Safford Salsa festival.
He had this bench made for the entrance outside the restaurant.
One day, when Jenn wasn't feeling well, he took the kids outside to keep them busy and they started building a treehouse.
The Biggs kids at the Ward Fall Festival.
At Joel's birthday party
Thomas, as Stake YM president was involved in the Scout Camporee. Here is young Thomas putting together some contraption with his fellow Scouts.
Kirtlyn's choir concert. She had a solo as part of their Wicked section of the performance. She is very good, but her mother says she doesn't realize it. I was very proud of her, as I was of Brianna the hour before.
The Safford Stake youth Conference was part of a 5-stake event. Thomas was there and able to see his nephew and niece. Next year Kirtlyn will be able to go.
Ruth Powell School had self-esteem activity where student body officers made encouraging posters. You can see some of the slogans. But you can't read Thomas', and his was the best. It said "You can't please everyone. You're not Nutella!"
This is Maya's first year in the youth community theater. She's a fish that swims by Gipetto's whale. Her play is November 1st, so it will lead off next month's blog.
~MARY AND TYSON~
Ethan is getting to be a typical mischievous baby...
Inspired by his big brother, I'm sure.
They enjoyed Harvey's visit and their Dino Time experience at the Safford Library.
Ethan is learning to walk He's smart enough not to go too far on his own, though; Carson and Alex planting seeds in Grandpa's garden; Mary cutting Harvey's hair and me feeding Fruit Loops to the boys...bribing them to like me :-)
At the movie with Esther's boys; and on Sunday, after attending Sacrament meeting at Esther's ward, they went to the Temple gardens instead of going to Esther's ward's Primary Program practice.
Esther's kids posed Ethan in their Halloween goodie bucket.
Mary's birthday dinner at our house. They had invited us over, but their oven quit, so they brought pizza and had it at our house instead. Now they have a new oven. Nice birthday present.
Tyson gave her a pearl Mother's necklace.
The Richins family had a gathering at the cabin. They seemed to have a great time and even pitched in and helped stack wood. They were so grateful to be able to use it and very impressed with how nice it is and how huge it is.
Having to restock her practically empty kitchen after they got home from Pine.
At Joel's birthday party. He looks sick, doesn't he? Poor boy. Mary is pretty brave to get so close, but she loves him.
Carson carrying the flag at the Camporee.
Brianna's concert at which she sang a solo as part of the quartet. She was very good, of course. Her teacher told her to write her own harmony for the quartet songs. And she did! :-)
Lindsay got the part of Pinocchio in the community theater production for next month. She will be perfect because she is not afraid to over act. Maya is also in the play, (her first time) but they are in different casts so it will take some finagling to attend both nights.
Finally, a new stove. They've had to completely replace all the appliances that were in the house when they bought it.
Pumpkin painting time.
~MISSIONARY~
The last picture I have of Shadrach on his mission. He went to the stake center where he was serving to watch conference and met Kurt White from St. Johns. Kurt noticed his name tag, Elder Biggs, and asked if he is related. He is!
~SOMETHING TO SMILE ABOUT~
Alex rules the house and sleeps, plays, eats, wherever he wants. Right in the middle of the kitchen is a good place because he can keep track of everyone.
During their visit to the Temple grounds, Alex was fascinated with the statue of Jesus. I love this picture.
When Luke couldn't find his ear phone pads, he improvised... creative problem solving...a sure sign of intelligence
These are so true :-)
I thought this was hilarious! Thomas ordered 300 pizzas to feed the youth conference kids for lunch. When they went to pick them up, this is the note they found on the door of Little Ceasar's.
And I totally identified with this "happy birthday" post from Kent on Jan's birthday.
~LAST WORDS~
I have been somewhat troubled lately about the many challenges I hear about from people who have had to endure terrible trials, especially temple workers. I know the concept about the refiner's fire and how the most precious metals have to be refined in the fire to be at their very best and strongest. I understand the reality that our lives will have adversity and that we will be made stronger and better because of our trial by fire. I worry, however, that my life is too easy and wonderful. I don't want to have to endure the refiner's fire, but I do want to be worthy to be with those who have. I know that it is only through the Atonement of Jesus Christ that any of us can ever be worthy of anything...even being in the temple, for example. Every time I get my temple recommend renewed, and they ask me if I am worthy to go to the temple, I want to say NO, absolutely not. Actually, none of us is worthy, even the best of us, like Dad. But I feel as if when I walk through the temple doors, Jesus walks in with me and He says, "This girl is not worthy to be here, but she's with me, so let her in." I pray that He will think my little sacrifices and trials are worth letting me into His presence and letting me associate with those amazing people who endure and overcome huge challenges.
































































































































































No comments:
Post a Comment