Ok, so topaz is my least favorite birthstone gem. And it's mine. Oh well. It just seems less valuable and less sparkly and not as beautiful. Maybe I need to get a pretty topaz something or other so I'll like it better. Fortunately, at least two of our November birthdays are very sparkly and beautiful and very valuable. 😀
Allison's birthday is November 2.
I turned 72 on November 8. Actually, I've been telling everyone I was 72 for the last 6 months!
Happy little Theo turned 1 on the 12th.
~OUR NOVEMBER~
October and November are the very best months for flowers. It's still warm (80's), not too hot and not too cold. My roses have been totally obscured by zinnias all summer, but Dad and Mary and I pulled them out, finally, and exposed our beautiful roses.
We went to see Maya be a fish in the youth community theater play Pinocchio on the 1st. She was absolutely the cutest fish in the sea. She was in cast 1. Notice the boy in front who plays Pinocchio and compare his costume to Lindsay's.
On the 2nd, we went to Mesa (Gilbert) to see Marlie's choir concert. That choir is amazing. Very professional sounding. She is in the advanced women's choir and is a coach in the freshman choir. They served dinner too! Catered by Cheesecake factory 😋
The next day was the funeral of my dear cousin and friend, Deone Flake Croff. She died of cancer. She is Sandy's sister, and just 3 years older than we are. She was so cool and taught us how to be teenagers. I remember she liked Doris Day and Gordon McRay...so I did too.
With Sandy after the funeral. She hasn't been well, but I think her cute wig makes her look very stylish and young. We also saw Bert there. He is also a cousin on the Flake side and is in Deone's ward.
Later that day, we went to see what cool project Jeremy and Erika are working on. They were building a fireplace in their family room. They got a gas fire box, like the one Dad wants to get us for Christmas. It really looks so good, now. We saw the finished fireplace when we went down for Thanksgiving.
When we got home that night, we were in time to see Lindsay be Pinocchio in the play. She was the star of cast 2. Maya was in cast 1. Lindsay was so good. She was animated and nice and loud. And her costume was right on, thanks to her talented mother. Perfect Pinocchio.
The next day, Rebecca invited us over to eat Sunday dinner. The D's (as she calls DeWitt and Deanna) were there and the food was Rebecca-delicious.
That evening, the Biggs and Richins families came to visit and before cookies and conversation, they helped us move the furniture back to the pool deck. Matt Richins did a great job of resurfacing it. In fact, I like our new deck even better than when it was new. It's not as rough on the feet.
The next FHE, Mary brought Brianna over to mow the lawn. Luke had been keeping it mowed most of the summer, but he was involved in basketball at this time, so Brianna stepped in. She did a great job.
On the 8th, my birthday, we were off from the Temple, so I went swimming. The weather was so beautiful and warm and the pool was perfect. Dad worked in his raised garden and brought a bouquet of radishes to show me.
Then that evening, he grilled a couple of birthday steaks on his new grill.
Some of the kids came by to wish me a happy birthday, and Shad was even there that day. It really was a nice day. I received some sweet, thoughtful gifts, and texts and calls from all my beautiful, loving children and even a couple of grandchildren. And I got cards from some of my siblings too. I felt very loved and remembered. The toys the kids are playing with are the toys I asked for as my birthday present from Dad.
Later that week is when Mary came over to help us remove the zinnias. For the record, I actually helped pull out the zinnias, too, but didn't take a picture of myself. Notice the Lincoln Logs that Alex is playing with...one of my birthday toys.
On the 16th, we went to watch Carson's Karate belt exam. He now has a purple belt. He was definitely the best one, not to mention the cutest one.😉
Isabel came to our house to get ready for the Christmas Frolic. She met Elizabeth, Tyson's beautician sister, here, and got all fancied up. Zoom in to see the "before" and "after." She looked absolutely gorgeous!
On Sunday, the 19th, we went to Rachel's kids' Primary Program in 9th ward, where Brynlie and Camille sang in a quartet. Actually, Brynlie even had a solo part. They were so darling, and they did this under duress. They've already turned 12 so didn't even want to do it, but agreed to help out anyway. I'm glad they did. They were very good. We were so proud.
Then, we went to our ward where Thomas and Jenn's kids were doing the 5th ward Primary Program. Everyone but Kirtlyn was in it, and Thomas Wyatt had the main narrator's part. He turns 12 in December. He did a great job. Another reason to be proud...or should I say humbly appreciative? Then they invited us and Parker to have meatballs with them. The weather was so perfect, so we ate outside on their cool, huge picnic table that Thomas made in the spring.
On the 21st, we went to Luke's orchestra concert. He is 1st violin, so he sits right in front and is easy to see. I love it that I don't have to search for him. They were very good. I even think I could hear Luke.
Roma Lee sent us this picture of some of the finishing work that has been done at the cabin. We've had some kids enjoying the cabin in the last couple of months, but I don't think it was done by then. It looks so much better.
I've been working on Christmas ornaments for this year. I had 10 hand painted poinsettias and 45 hand painted gingerbread faces. It took me most of the month to get them done. I wanted to take them to Thanksgiving so I could give them out then. The ones for Daniel's family and Dallin will have to be sent, of course, and the ones for the Safford kids will hang on our tree until Christmas morning. We gave our kids theirs at Thanksgiving so they could use the money for Christmas if they wanted to. We gave them a little extra this year because we received some from Daddy's estate. Of course, by the time it was divided 7 ways and we divided it 9 ways, it didn't come to much more, but maybe enough to help a little bit.
The day before Thanksgiving, we went to Mesa. It just happened to be our weekend off, plus the 2 extra days for Thanksgiving, so we had a whole week off. We went to Esther's house, where they were putting up decorations. Their whole cul-de-sac is decorated with these lollipops and it looks really cute. Then we went to the Chinese buffet for dinner.
When we got to the condo, finally, we were greeted by Rebecca and her family. It was like a family slumber party. DeWitt and Deanna, Lillian and Kelin and Allison and Harvey, plus Rebecca, Scott and Polly were all there. How fun! It was hilarious to watch how crazy Harvey is about Deanna. I admit it...I was jealous. Actually everyone but Allison and Harvey and Rebecca and Scott slept at DeWitt's house.
On Thanksgiving morning, we met at the church ball fields by Esther's house to have breakfast and games.
Mary had just had laser treatments on her birthmarks, so couldn't be in the sun, so Harrison brought her an umbrella from home.
Jared and Henry
The big kids played football
And the medium and younger kids played kickball, with the help of Tyson and Scott.
Jeremy brought a drone that fascinated big kids and little kids alike.
Trying to catch the drone. Deanna was one of the little kids.
We had Thanksgiving dinner later that day, at Joel and Stephanie's house, in their awesome back yard. I just loved watching our children and grandchildren greeting each other and talking and playing together, not to mention eating such a fabulous meal together. It was especially nice to have those who came from far away. Nathan and Shauna and all their family came. Joshua from Utah, Bethany, Palmer and Jovie, from Glendale, of course, and Nathan, Shauna, Hannah and Seth from Nebraska. Allison and Harvey were there from Washington. Taylor had to stay on the Christmas tree farm...November is their busiest month! We missed Daniel's family so much. Even Parker couldn't come because he had to work. He works at Walmart in Safford. We also missed Dallin, Sara and Parley in New York.
I didn't take many of these pictures. Most of them were sent to me by those who did take them. If there are not many of you or your family, I'm sorry. Next time take some pictures!

So, Daynen brought his girlfriend! She is Jori Cox, the granddaughter of Carolyn's brother Bruce Cox. Good family, darling girl.
Four generations
Look what we did!
A father's blessing for the year.
Time to clean up
What a beautiful, amazing family! Still, there were 24 of us missing...and an extra little girl in front 😊
Jeremy and Dad inspecting their finished, gorgeous fireplace.
The next day, Sunday, Mary invited us over for a delicious pork roast Sunday dinner.
Then, on Monday, the 27th, we bribed everyone to come over to decorated our house and put up lights with pizza and pop. It worked! Our house is very festive now.
For some reason, Rylie and Brandon were telling Isabel something that made her cry. People tend to like to tell her things to make her cry because she's somehow funny at the same time. But it is sad to see her go from smiles to tears...especially while everyone is laughing at her.😂
We made use of tall Brandon and Rylie's sports trainer experience. She wrapped my broken toe. I broke it while vacuuming barefooted. We got an X-ray at Dr. Huish's office the next day, and he came by the house that night (after I was already in the bath) to tell us that one toe was definitely broken and another one was bent. Nothing to be done about it but to wrap them and be careful. He asked me what kind of shoes I wear around the house...😜
I went to the Temple on Thursday, though and just hobbled around on my cane. I think by next week I will be able to go caneless.
~NEWS FROM AROUND THE FAMILY~
~NATHAN AND SHAUNA~
I'm glad Joshua is finding beautiful buildings in Salt Lake to photograph, just as he did in Omaha.
Palmer attended the National Leadership conference of the American Student Dental Association in Chicago. I wonder if that means he is in a student leadership position in his school. He also included the picture of the yummy treats. Glad to see he knows what's good, even if he is a dentist.
Baby Jovie is loved by her Aunt Hannah and Uncle Josh.
Some extra pictures of the Nathan and Shauna family from the Thanksgiving dinner.
~JOEL AND STEPHANIE~
Levi is going great guns in the real estate market in Gilbert.
At dinner with Crew and his family after my cousin's funeral. I just couldn't believe anyone would want to eat a sea insect.
Some extra pictures of the Joel and Stephanie family at the Thanksgiving breakfast.
And from the Thanksgiving dinner at their house.
~DANIEL AND CONNIE~
We missed Daniel and Connie's family so much! One of the top things on my bucket list is to get a whole family picture before Dad or I die.
Shadrach went to DC to visit an old High School buddy.
Fishing in their newly stocked pond.
Theo's happy birthday. With the obligatory cake crush. He looks very happy about the whole thing, doesn't he? What a darling he is.
And learning to walk
Shannyn with some school friends.
And Devynne with some St. Louis friends. They look just like Arizona girls, don't they? I guess pretty, young women look the same all over the world.
Their Thanksgiving feast. So much food, no room for people!
Thanksgiving Day activity...the pumpkin shoot.
~REBECCA AND SCOTT~
Happy Birthday, dear Allison.
Harvey is all ready to help his dad on the Christmas tree farm. They go to the farm and live in a very nice trailer while they take care of the trees.
Lillian and Kelin at the St. George Temple, I think. It may be the Cedar City Temple Open House, but I'm almost sure they went to a session in St. George.
DeWitt and Deanna (the D's) get to come home once in a while. On this visit they saw Sara, who loves DeWitt.
Rebecca and Deanna and Polly at a Relief Society meeting.
Rebecca and Scott went to see Lindsay be Pinocchio. She was thrilled that they came.
Lennie Asay Patterson's son was married in the Gila Valley Temple to Tammy and Terry Johnson's daughter, and had the reception here. Rebecca went and saw her and also Melissa! I would like to have gone, but we were working that night. I was able to be the matron who gave Johnna Johnson her temple instruction, though, so I saw and talked to Lennie. That was special to me.
Parley, and his parents are loving the Christmas season in New York. Parley is just so smart and cute and not at all afraid of Santa.
Getting ready for Thanksgiving dinner. Rebecca is training Polly to make her delicious treats. Also, Polly got the chance to practice her sports medicine skills on Deanna.
They stayed in the condo with us while we were there for Thanksgiving. They are there often enough that Harvey is so at home there, but he was unpleasantly surprised to see me come in to his space. He eventually got used to me.
Some extra pictures of Rebecca and Scott's family at the Thanksgiving breakfast.
And the Thanksgiving dinner.
~JEREMY AND ERIKA~
Reygan with her Down East co workers. They all look so stylish, especially Reygan.
Jeremy's boys pitched in to help Esther and her boys move some furniture out of and into her house.
Beautiful, talented Reygan. Sitting at Esther's new table and her most recent portrait of the Savior.

Reygan with her friend and her husband at their Gilbert Temple wedding.
Some extra pictures of Jeremy and Ellie at the Thanksgiving breakfast.
And the Jeremy and Erika family at the Thanksgiving dinner.
Their gorgeous, finished fireplace.
Daynen has a girlfriend!! Her name is Jori Cox and she looks just like a Cox. We are glad to have her and hope it works out for both of them.
A visit to the Mesa Temple Christmas light extravaganza.
~RACHEL AND TONY~
Rachel got to go with her mother-in-law and sisters-in-law to visit Jake (Tony's brother) in Texas where he is an FBI agent. They got to see some fun Texas things and do some girl/brother bonding.
A man on the street collapsed right in front of their eyes, so Jake jumped to the rescue.
One day this month, a scary incident kept many of the Safford High School students home, including all of Rachel's kids in high school, elementary school and Jr. High. One student threatened another student, via text, with shooting. The authorities worked it out and everyone went back the next day.
Cathy Konopnicki hired Rachel to redecorate Sara's room. She wanted a Star Wars decor.
She also did another decorating job for someone I don't know.
Very chic, Rachel. And comfy and cozy like a bedroom should be.
Rachel kept Mary's little boys while she did a Relief Society enrichment. They loved being at their Aunt Rachel's fun house.
Isabel received her Patriarchal Blessing this month.
One of Luke's concerts this month. This one was a valley-wide group.
Isabel and Brynlie and Camille participated in their ward's Young Women in Excellence night. Issy shared her nursing class and skills, Brynlie shared her gardening and Camille shared tennis.
Isabel was a makeup model for a friend in beauty school.
Getting ready for the Christmas formal. Rachel made the beautiful corsages.
Isabel and friends (and cousin) posing for pictures.
Luke's middle school concert.
After the Primary Program where Brynlie and Camille sang so beautifully.
They stayed with Esther while they were down there for the Thanksgiving festivities.
Some extra pictures of the Rachel and Tony family at the Thanksgiving breakfast.
And at the Thanksgiving dinner.
A family of beautiful people.
~ESTHER AND SHAD~
This is one of Harrison's cool digital photos. He made this from a sunset picture.
This is a collage that Esther posted on my birthday of me with her kids. I love it.
Here we are with the Browns at Marlie's concert, eating Cheesecake factory-catered food.
I took a picture of the girls with their hands on their hearts for the National Anthem. I was impressed. Then of Marlie in both of her choirs, and then serving dessert.
Esther has been doing fun things to her house. She enclosed a room in the huge space at the top of her stairs. The picture of the twins and Soren and Brody are in the room she made.
This is the sofa that Jeremy's boys helped the Brown kids move in.
And...my favorite. Shad had a table made that I can actually sit down at and not have to climb up to. Of course, that is totally grammatically incorrect. I should have said, "down at which I can actually sit instead of up to which I have to climb." Ha ha. Even that is not completely right. Oh well.
Marlie's friends enjoying their new furniture at their "friendsgiving" party.
I wish I had been there to hear Esther and Mary sing with Harrison.
They had a family picture taken, and these are the pre-photo photos.
Bridger got his braces off. What a handsome boy!
Some extra Esther and Shad family pictures at the Thanksgiving breakfast.
Their house all lit up for Christmas.
~THOMAS AND JENN~
Jenn and the kids went to a school carnival at which they got to ride in a hot air balloon.
Maya the cutest fish
Jenn sent me these pictures of seagulls in the desert! At Thrifty and at the school! It made me wonder if we are having a cricket plague.
Thomas and Rebecca greeting Melissa Asay.
The Biggs kids after their Primary program at which they sang and spoke beautifully.
And at dinner afterwards.
Extra pictures of the Thomas and Jenn family at the Thanksgiving breakfast.
And at Thanksgiving dinner.
~MARY AND TYSON~
Tyson took his girls on a Daddy-Daughter date.
Lindsay was Student of the Month at her school.
24-7 Spiderman. Mary gives Spiderman credit for potty training Alex because he didn't want to get his costume wet. He wore it for at least a solid week after Halloween.
Mary also posted a birthday picture of me with her kids. I haven't even seen some of these before.
Brianna mowing our lawn.
The cutest Pinocchio we've ever seen.
Mary, as enrichment leader, set up and decorated for a Relief Society gratitude dinner. She has the same kind of eye for design that Rachel has. I don't know where they got it. I certainly don't have it.
And again at a baby shower for her sister-in-law that she had at Stephanie's house. Stephanie was so gracious to let them do it there. Mary built the pizza stand.
Jared's ninja turkey
Mary took a picture of Ethan in his cat mask, so Alex wanted to have his taken too. The consummate camera hog.
More of Carson's cool karate moves.
Brianna partying with friends. When did she get old enough for that?
Mary mounted the enlarged picture of her children's nativity that she took at the cabin last year. What a beautiful Christmas decoration. What sweet memories they will have every time they get it out.
Decorating Tyson's office.
Extra pictures of the Mary and Tyson family at the Thanksgiving breakfast.
And at Thanksgiving dinner.
~SOMETHING TO MAKE YOU SMILE~
Rachel got stung by a bee and she heard that putting honey on the sting will make it better. It worked! That makes me smile because we have so many bees around here in the summer.
Now, doesn't this just make all of you smile?
A week after Halloween and Alex still won't take off his Spiderman costume.
Harvey is so pleased with himself for getting such a cool ride from his grandpa. He waves as if he is the star of a parade.
It makes every mom smile when her baby climbs on her lap and says "nee nap" and promptly goes to sleep.
Soren actually made a power point of his Christmas wish list.
Harvey at the blessing on Thanksgiving. I don't know if this was the blessing on the food or Dad's long blessing, but he did pretty well to even fold his arms. Closing his eyes was just too much to ask.
~LAST WORDS~
GRATITUDE
I really believe that having a grateful heart is key to our eternal salvation. God told us that the greatest way to offend Him is to cease to be thankful to Him for all He has done for us. A person with a grateful heart is less likely to stray from the path that leads back to Heavenly Father. He is less likely to forsake his covenants. If we are grateful for all we have, we take our stewardship seriously, in our families, in our callings, with the earth, itself. And dear children and grandchildren, Dad and I are grateful for you and we are grateful to you for your efforts to keep your covenants and live righteous, joyful lives. Our gratitude for you is our key to eternal salvation. So we have you to thank for that, too.
May you find the joy and peace that comes from a grateful heart, especially at this time of year...and of course, throughout the year...when we turn our minds and focus our attention on the gift of our beloved Savior. We love you all so much. Thank you.






































































































































2 comments:
Oh I love November! I am so grateful for the Biggs Family! I’m sad we couldn’t be there for the big Thanksgiving dinner, but it’s great to see pictures of all the cousins playing together. Such a beautiful and wonderful family, thanks for sharing Grandma! And happy birthday month!
-Devynne Marie
Post a Comment