Thursday, March 01, 2018

FEBRUARY~SPAGHETTI-TERIYAKI CHICKEN


I have chosen spaghetti and Teriyaki chicken for February's recipes.
My mother made such good spaghetti, and I have tried to copy it.  I actually never make it exactly the same way.  It sort of depends on what I have in the cupboard and refrigerator.  But I always start with browning hamburger, about 1/2 to 1 pound for 8-10 people.  A good way to stretch your meat budget. If you are using lean hamburger, you need to add a little water.  I add onions to the meat as it is browning, and that is when I put in the seasonings.  I put in garlic salt, Italian seasoning and oregano.  I shake in quite a bit.  I know that's not very helpful.  Maybe a tablespoon each of the Italian seasoning and oregano, if I'm making enough for 8-10 people.  Then I add 3 small cans of tomato sauce, if I have that much.  If not, you can use tomato soup, which my mother did often, but I don't care for the sweet taste it gives.  I also add most of a can of diced tomatoes.  Sometimes, I add a can of cream of mushroom soup (which I have done in the picture on the left), or sour cream.  Sometimes I don't.  Taste it and see if it tastes too tomato-y.  Also salt and pepper to taste.  You can spoon it on top of cooked spaghetti (I don't like thin or angel hair spaghetti for this) or you can mix it all together.  I like parmesan cheese on it, but Dad doesn't, so I hardly ever add it.   Serve it with a crisp salad and garlic toast.
                                                                   Spaghetti
                                                      From me and from Thomas
I got the teriyaki chicken recipe from Karen.  She and Mike were going to BYU when we went to Utah for conference one year.  She served it when we visited her and I fell in love!  Since then, I have seen the recipe one other place...in a mystery novel!  It was called Hawaiian teriyaki chicken (not the novel, the chicken).  Brown chicken in a large pan.  While it is browning, mix 1C water, 1C sugar (I use 1/2 cup white and 1/2 cup brown), less than 1/4 cup soy sauce and 6 shakes of powdered ginger.  I've used fresh ginger and I really like it but it's more work.  Pour that mixture over the browned chicken and cover.  Simmer for about half an hour, then uncover and let it reduce and thicken so that it coats the chicken.  That doesn't leave much sauce for the rice, however, so I like to take the chicken out after half an hour or so, thicken the sauce with corn starch then put the chicken back in to coat.  It's faster and almost as good that way.  It looks, in the picture, as if Thomas did it the real way.  That chicken is perfect!
Teriyaki chicken
From Thomas
Our February birthdays are perfect too! Sweet and spicy.
Marlie turned 16 on the 4th, and began driving and dating almost immediately 😄
Brianna turned 13 on the 4th, our newest teenager.
Lindsay turned 10 on the 12th
Alta's birthday was also the 12th.
Brock's birthday was Valentine's Day, the 14th.
Rachel and Tony's 22nd anniversary was the 16th...an anniversary that they will share with Daynen and Jori from now on.
Syrina turned 10 on the 20th.
Parker's birthday was the 22nd
Polly turned 19 on the 26th.
Bridger turned 14 on the 26th.
Daynen's birthday was the 28th.
This year, our 1st leapling, Hannah, had her birthday on the 28th.
Parley, turning 2, our 2nd leapling, also had his birthday on the 28th.
Spring comes to Arizona in February.  Along with the sunny, flowery days, we had some wonderful cloudy skies, a couple of days of delicious drizzling rain.  We also had some much needed snow on the mountain. I was beginning to think we wouldn't get any this year.  I love February weather. 
We went to a birthday dinner at Brianna's house on the 4th.  It was a Sunday, so we could go. We had some of her favorite foods...pizza, corndogs, BBQ chicken and cupcakes.
While we were there, Jared gave us the talk he gave in Primary.  He wrote it out himself and read it from the backs of the pictures he showed. Mary said that Alex was asked to give a talk this month as well.  He, however, had a very different experience.  He refused to speak what Mary was whispering to him, so she said the words aloud, not in the microphone.  He threw himself on the floor and screamed "talk in the microphone!" over and over.  The Primary workers thought he was crying because Mary was saying the words that he wanted to say.  She just picked him up and left the room.  He's just barely 3.  He hasn't been in Primary enough to know the routine.
Jori had a bridal shower on the 3rd.  We were working that day, so I wasn't able to go, but they sent me this picture of her, wrapped up in the afghan I made for her.  I asked Daynen what color she would like, and he said, "something bright and happy, like her."
On Monday, we went to visit our friend Una Mae Larson.  I was her visiting teacher for many years and learned to love and admire her.  She was always busy making clothes and quilts to give to Habitat for Humanity, and since she has been confined to her bed, she still has such a sweet, optimistic, cheerful attitude.  She was being moved to a care center in Queen Creek, near one of her daughters, so we wanted to see her before she left.
That night, for FHE, Mary and Tyson and their kids came over to trim bushes in our front yard before they start blooming again.  
On Thursday of that week, our swing day between days of closing and days of opening, I went to see Brianna and Kirtlyn in the youth community play of Singing in the Rain.  They were both so cute.  They were in two casts, with different costumes in each cast.  I was only able to see one, but Jenn sent me a picture of the other one.
While I was at the play, Dad was at Carson's karate belt review.  He advanced to a new belt color.  Maybe purple to blue?
On Sunday,  the 11th, Thomas and Jenn's family, and Parker, joined us for dinner.  We made spaghetti.  The night before, we went to Allison McHugh's wedding reception. I remember when she was a 2-pound preemie, born in the back of their van, on the road to Tucson. We saw Rachel at the reception, taking pictures. 
That night, Biggs and Richins kids came to visit and to play on Grandpa's playground.  The weather was perfect...no clouds or rain by then...just sunshine and flowers.
On Monday the 12th, we went to Lindsay's birthday dinner.  She had chicken alfredo.  It was very thoughtful of both of these birthday girls to have their birthdays on days we were not in the temple 😊
I saw these pictures of Amy's baby, Ridge Darien, on Facebook.  It made me happy to see that she is using the blanket I sent her.
On the 13th, Donna LeBaron and her daughter Sherri Rapier and Sherri's husband (who was born in Safford but lived in California) came to the Temple.  They came to the noon session, so we were able to leave with them at 2:00 and take them to El Charro for lunch.  They were favorably impressed...with the Temple and with El Charro.  Everything was so good and the service was perfect.
On the 16th, we got up early, after having closed the night before, and went to Mesa to attend Daynen and Jori's wedding in the Gilbert Temple.  They thoughtfully scheduled their wedding to correspond with our weekend off in February, so we were able to relax and enjoy the festivities and also see the other kids a little bit.
 Mary and Tyson were staying in the condo with us, and they had to sleep all over the floor.  Brianna and Carson got the couch and recliner, and I think they rotated that privilege.  Anyway they were good sports about it.  We need a bigger condo.  Rebecca and Scott had to drive home after the wedding dinner because they didn't have anywhere to stay.  Thomas and Jenn also drove home that night but that was because he had to do deliveries for El Charro the next morning.  Rachel and Tony got a hotel room.  It was their anniversary, so sharing the condo with all of us wouldn't have been good anyway.  
~DAYNEN AND JORI'S WEDDING~
February 16, 2018
Gilbert, Arizona Temple~Dad officiated
The temple on a cloudy day; everyone waiting outside for them to come out
Brint and Brea were there to do a session and so got to get in on the pictures
On the steps of the Temple
Dad sealed them; and with Carolyn, their common great aunt
Grandparents
A family picture
At the non reception reception...at Joel and Stephanie's.  They had a wedding supper instead of a reception, but because both families are so big, it turned out to be more like a reception. 
Setting up and getting ready; Nathan and Shauna and Hannah came from Omaha. I'm really sad that I didn't get a better picture of Shauna.  I said "Look at me," and she didn't.  I didn't realize that until I was downloading the pictures later.
 Carrie came by to pick up Carolyn and Lisa and Deon were there as substitute adoptive grandparents; otherwise they didn't invite great aunts, uncles and cousins. There was still a huge crowd though.
Harrison was in charge of Alex, who liked it sometimes, but not so much at other times.  At least he didn't jump in the pool.
The girls (Kirtlyn, Lindsay, Brianna, Maya) loved watching the prince and princess.
The next day we ate lunch at PF Chang's with Joel's family. Dad kept calling it "chicken chinese."
That night we ate dinner at Manuel's with Jeremy's family.  It was really good.  Dad even liked their albondigas soup! A replacement for the old El Charro?
On Sunday, we went to church with Jeremy's family and then had dinner at Esther and Shad's.   Mary's family was there too.
On Monday night, we had FHE with Thomas and Jenn's family.  Thomas Wyatt spoke in church the day before, about listening to the Spirit, so he gave his talk to us for FHE.  It was very good.
I was scheduled to speak at the Pima Stake standards night on Wednesday, the 21st, so, on Tuesday, Dad and I drove to Pima so I could see how to get there without driving up and down all the streets looking for the stake center.  The mountain was covered in snow and so beautiful, but I couldn't get a good picture of it.  I did get one of the Temple, on the way home, with the dramatic snow clouds behind it.
 
That night, Jared cut his hand and it required stitches, so Mary and Tyson went to the ER with him, and Dad and I went over to help with the kids.  Brianna was at a play practice and didn't know anything about it until she got home just a little while before Mary and Tyson and Jared did.  He was very proud of his stitches.  I asked him if he was brave and he said "I screamed!"
On Thursday, the 22nd, Parker's 23rd birthday, we took him to lunch at El Charro after our shift.  We gave him a choice of where he would like to eat and he chose El Charro.  Good boy.
On Saturday, I was carrying some bags of groceries and tripped over the little rug by the garage door and slammed my face on the rim of the huge canning pot that is sitting by the back door. I broke my nose, cut my lip and pulled a muscle in my leg.  I strained my shoulder too, but it's ok, mostly.  It's a good thing Thomas happened to be there, working on a Pinewood Derby car for Hyrum, because he was able to help me up.  Everyone was so solicitous.  Mary and  Rachel and Rebecca visited, (this is a picture of the twins giving me a medicinal milkshake), Thomas and Jenn called, Jeremy (who was on the phone to Dad when I fell, so he was in somewhat of a panic), Joel and Esther all called to check on me.  I'm glad Nathan and Daniel didn't know anything about it...until now, I guess...preserving my fragile dignity with at least two kids.   I didn't go to the Temple, that day, but just sat around all day with a bag of ice on my nose and lip and watched old movies. Thankfully, the Temple was closed on Monday so I could rest.  I'm really getting better, just an annoying headache and an ugly swollen lip.  On Monday, Sister Herrington called and told me that she had broken her leg!  She was on her walk and some huge dogs who were fighting or playing on the sidewalk crashed into her and crushed her tibia plateau, whatever that is. She ended up having surgery on it,  so I don't know how that is going to play out with our Temple responsibilities.  She's going into her 6-day break for February,  and I can cover for her living ordinances until the maintenance closure, so maybe she can recover enough to come to the Temple on crutches or in a wheelchair after that.  I don't know, though.  
On Sunday,  I was only able to stay for Sacrament Meeting, but that night after having Parker and the Richins family over for dinner, we had a joint birthday party for him and Polly, whose 19th birthday was the next day.  Too bad Bridger couldn't have been here for that.  His birthday is the same as Polly's.   Trying to help her injured mother, Rachel agreed to make the birthday cakes.  She made a chocolate one for Parker and a white one for Polly.   They were both delicious.  I'm really a frosting snob, so I asked her to have Rylie make the chocolate frosting because she knows how to do it the way I do...the way Grandma Brinton taught me.
~NEWS FROM AROUND THE FAMILY~
NATHAN AND SHAUNA
Jovie is starting to walk...at least standing up on her own.  She is totally a princess diva, however, and insists on being carried most of the time.😌
A Jeppesen family picture
Josh posted this car picture.  I don't know if it is because he is now driving it or what.  But it's really pretty and certainly "shiny new."
Bethany and Palmer on Valentine's Day.
Grandpa Nathan loves his Jovi.  They came for Daynen and Jori's wedding.  It was so good to see him and Shauna and Hannah.  Bethany and Palmer, too, of course.  We hardly see them any more often than the others.
Great Grandma Susan and Princess Jovi at the temple.
"Here, play with Grandpa's hair!"
At Manuel's the next day.
Palmer at a Dental Student Association Gala...I hope Bethany got to go.  It looks like fun.
JOEL AND STEPHANIE
Waiting for the bride and groom to appear.
Helping to set everything up for the dinner/reception in their fabulous back yard.
The tents were perfect. And so elegant.
We ate lunch with them at PF Chang's the next day.  
Crew with Stetson's dog, whose name I never can remember.  I honestly thought this was Levi.  Crew's growing up so fast, it's catching me by surprise every time I see him.
Their family's big news this month is Docker's mission call.  It came on the 28th, the last day of the m month, via email.  No longer snail mail.  They called us at the Temple, where we closed the door to Dad's office, and were able to participate.  He's going to the Boston Massachusetts Mission, Madarin speaking!  How exciting!  We have a temple worker whose son is in the same mission, speaking Spanish.  I think Boston is a melting pot sort of place.  Docker will be great!  And I think he'll love the challenge.
Screen shots from the video.  That's the most excited I've ever seen Docker!  Crew, in the background, is celebrating because he called it.  He guessed Boston Massachusetts.
DANIEL AND CONNIE
They have been having a snowy February.
Besides being a lot of work, snow can also be a lot of fun!
Analynn and her friends...preparing for the 2026 Olympics?
Analynn is in Mexico with her school class, enjoying warm weather and warm beaches.
Super Bowl feast.
Theo and his St.Louis friend.
Brock's birthday is Valentine's Day, so he has to figure out how to give special attention to his valentine when she is giving special attention to his birthday.  A nice problem to have.💕

The Bennion family on Valentine's Day. They are expecting a new baby, I think next fall.
While Devynne has been sick with the Egyptian flu (she's going to be a mummy), Brock and Theo have been enjoying some guy time together, fixing dinner, cuddling, and playing with Theo's plastic power tools...hence the protective goggles.
Shadrach
Alta Jo on her birthday (actually, I think this picture was last summer...Shannyn just posted it on her birthday.)  Her amazing Connie cake was to commemorate her turning 21 😀
Syrina on her 10th birthday.  Her amazing Connie cake was to honor her interest in science.  We have a foaming beaker, a DNA strand, a beaker leaking blood? and a dissected frog (zoom in to appreciate the details 😖
Parker enjoying his birthday fried ice cream at El Charro.
And with his chocolate birthday cake that Rachel made.  Not an amazing Connie cake by any means, but still delicious.
Aila loves to try on adulthood...as all little girls do.  Whether it's Mommy's purse or Syrina's science goggles, she gets a big kick out of it.
Porter and Alta enjoyed a trip to Las Vegas...to see the world.  
REBECCA AND SCOTT
Scott and Taylor went to Cuba and Haiti, at first to get workers from Haiti (of course workers in Cuba are still not allowed to go out), but there is an embargo on Haitian workers, so they just went to see the scenery, I guess.  But how amazing to me, a child of the 50's and 60's for them to be able to go to Cuba.  I remember being afraid, after it was taken over by Fidel Castro, of their sending missiles into the US. I worried that my friends would have to go to war.
Cuban transportation.  Most of the cars in Cuba were pre 1958 when Castro took over.
In Haiti.   The group at the bottom is of the workers who came all ready to sign up to work in the US, and Taylor had to tell them they couldn't go.   Sad.  I understand why, of course, because the government is trying to protect American workers, but the work the Haitians do is work that most Americans won't do anyway.
Valentine's Day
Rebecca went to Kirtlyn and Brianna's play, Singing in the Rain.
Harvey, just like any guy, has fallen in love with a car.  Allison says he refuses to get out and come in the house.
So absolutely darling!
Allison (who is getting close to having her baby girl) was pleased to have a visit from her brother, DeWitt, and Deanna this month.  She and Harvey took them to see the sights of Washington and Portland, Oregon.  
Eating breakfast with Harvey and watching one of Harvey's favorite shows; and lunch on the town, from a food truck.
Dallin and Sara are having a wonderful time in Italy...eating Italian Pizza...
And seeing amazing ancient Italian architecture.
As part of his schoolwork, Dallin has to teach about the architecture.
They even got to see the David, among other famous works of art.
Parley turned 2 on the 28/29th, in Italy, and enjoyed a birthday cake...especially blowing out the candles.  It only took him 7 tries.
DeWitt and Deanna enjoying the Renaissance Festival.
DeWitt and Deanna in Washington and Portland with Allison and Harvey. I just read a book set in Portland and it seems like a really cool place, even if a little weird. Is this the Portland Temple?
Since Lillian was willing to try Kelin's winter sports, he was willing to play tennis...in the snow, it looks like.
Balloon festival in Kanab Utah
Polly played tennis in New Mexico and Texas this month.
At Daynen and Jori's wedding.
Poor Rebecca, got the flu the day after the wedding.  She got pretty sick with it.
Polly's birthday cake, made by Rachel; and her card.  She's graduated to receiving the "adult card" now.
On her birthday the next day, friends stayed all night so they could be there for her morning celebration traditions.
Scott had to have a shoulder repair, which turned out to be a lot worse than either he or the doctor suspected.  He came through it well, though and is recovering in the care of the best nurse around.
Dad and I took medicinal milkshakes to Scott and Nona, just to make sure their recovery would progress as it should 😊
JEREMY AND ERIKA
Jeremy had to have a tooth extracted.  Poor guy.  It looks like he had a loving caretaker too.  Erika sent a hilarious video of him showing how numb his lips were.
Jori's bridal shower.  She received so many gifts because they were not doing an official reception.
At Daynen and Jori's wedding at the Gilbert Temple.  
At the dinner/reception at Joel and Stephanie's
Tayte qualified for regionals in choir.  The program was the Saturday after the wedding.
At Manuel's, with the family, after the concert.
The Biggs family, enjoying the Renaissance Festival.
RACHEL AND TONY
Isabel bought a new dog, a German Shepherd puppy.  That makes four dogs for them!  I guess, all the better to keep snakes away?
Rachel decorated Marlie's room for her birthday.  She got lots of advice from the peanut gallery, it looks like.
Beautiful!
The Superbowl feast
Luke with his student council.  They got to go to a Suns game.
He also was invited to speak to the School board as a member of the "web leaders" group from school.  They are a team of 8th grade mentors for younger students.  Kirtlyn is also a member of this group, but she was performing in Singing in the Rain that night.
Valentine's Day
Rachel went to Jori's bridal shower and saw Norma Chlarson from St. Johns!  They recognized each other.  Esther said she didn't recognize her, but Rachel did.
Helping prepare Marlie's prom dinner.
At the wedding; It was their 22nd anniversary; With Sherri Beals and her husband,
At a Coyotes game the next day.
Luke's orchestra concert...first chair...yea Luke!
Science fair time!  Brynlie and Camille are lucky to have talented and willing parents!
On the last day of the month, we had a pleasant surprise with 4 grandchildren in the temple to do baptisms.  Luke and the twins came with the 9th Ward youth and Thomas Wyatt came with the 5th Ward young men.  Of course, the Young Men don't know how obsessive Thomas' grandma is about pictures, so I didn't get one of him, but Rachel knows and thankfully, sent me one of them.
ESTHER AND SHAD
Marlie's birthday room by Rachel.  She loved it.
Birthday twinners; and according to Esther, "birthdayzilla!" 
Soren and the twins sold lemonade on one of the warm, springlike days.They are all such good friends.
Esther and Rachel with Norma Chlarson at Jori's bridal shower.
Marlie's first date.
Esther with February/March birthday cousins for lunch. Melissa, Sara, Cynthia, Esther Michelle.
Bridger got in the camera shot of this news program.  I actually screen shot it from the video.  He really got his fifteen seconds of fame.
Valentine's Day breakfast
Marlie's prom this year was a costume/theme dance: famous couples.  Marlie and her date were Peter Pan and Wendy.  Her friends were Ken and Barbie, Olive Oyl and Popeye; and Sandy and Danny from Grease.  They ate dinner at Esther's.  Mary decorated, dressed Marlie and helped with dinner.  Rachel was there for a little while and also helped with dinner.
Iconic prom picture with Dad; the dinner table
At Daynen's wedding supper
Dinner at their house the next day.
Marlie is an official driver now.  I know she will be a responsible one.
Bridger's birthday on the 26th.  What a day!  It ended with a choir concert, at which he had a loving fan club.
THOMAS AND JENN
The Biggses and Richins went to the Temple and out to eat afterwards.
After Singing in the Rain. Cast two performance
Cast one performance
Sunday night visit...hand games with Maya.
Valetine's Day
At Daynen and Jori's wedding supper.
What a difference 4 years makes!
The dreaded Pinewood Derby.  Hyrum designed and painted his own car...a replica of the El Charro van.  He said he knew it wouldn't win because it wasn't aereodynamically designed, but he was ok with that.  I thought it was great!
MARY AND TYSON
February birthday girl-trip to Mesa.
Brianna's 13th birthday
Service FHE for the grandparents
Singing in the Rain.  Lindsay has become quite the expert photo bomber!
Carson's karate belt review.
At El Charro after the Temple.
Lindsay's 10th birthday...darling cake!
I couldn't pass up these pictures of Ethan on Mary's phone.  He's so entranced by it and I liked the way it lit up his face.
Ethan loves to read with Grandma.
This looks like a family cookout, but it's really a compost barrel, thanks to Dad's Square Foot Garden book.
Getting Marlie ready for her prom date.
Chargers were all Esther thought she had to contribute to the table decor.  After roaming around her house, Mary found enough things to make it pretty and chic.
At the condo when they stayed there for Daynen's wedding.  They were getting ready to go to a birthday picnic for their Grandpa Richins.
At Daynen and Jori's wedding supper.
Jared cut his hand with a knife while trying to dissect an avocado.  He had 5 stitches, but really needed 6.  Erika told Mary to put super glue on a piece of tape and hold the unstitched end together.
Then Ethan got stung on the lip by a bee!  Rachel told her to put honey on it and it was a miracle! He stopped screaming immediately.  I wonder how I got to be this old and didn't know that amazing cure! Also, Alex is as expert a photo bomber as Lindsay!
Brianna wrote and sang a beautiful song, I think entitled Forever.  She even sang harmony with herself and accompanied herself on the guitar she got for her birthday.
SOMETHING TO SMILE ABOUT
Prayer time
This is hilarious!  Anyone who has ever been pregnant will laugh out loud.
Beautiful! I love this.
Ha Ha Emily.  
This is sooo Jeremy.
I saw this and had to take a picture. Daniel Ellis...go figure. 
It makes me smile to see her smile about a card I sent her from the Temple.  I always wonder if people who receive them even care.  Well, Sara does.  That's good enough for me.
My sentiments exactly.
Oh sweet Reygan.
I've always enjoyed Louis L'Amour books, so rough and ready, yet very moral and the good guy always wins and is always good.
What do you think?
Thank you for reading the book, Lindsay.  I hope you enjoy it.
Camille, going to school on a rainy morning, realized that her hat wouldn't protect her from getting wet because it had holes, so her solution was a stainless steel mixing bowl. Creative problem solving.




















1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a fun blog! I’m so happy for Daynen and Jori! And I hope we get to see Allison’s new baby girl this month. My favorite section was definitely “Something to Smile About.” So funny! Thanks for another great blog, Grandma! Hope you feel better soon.
-Devynne

AUGUST ~BAPTISM FOR THE DEAD ANNOUNCED BY JOSEPH SMITH

     One of the most precious doctrines of the Gospel is the doctrine of vicarious work for the dead.  August 15, 1840 is when Joseph Smi...