

We are in Salt Lake for conference, and thought that we would give you an update on what is going on. We actually spent about three hours in Arizona today. Why didn't any of you come to see us?
We were supposed to have a suite at the hotel, but there was a mixup. Now the kids have their own room. I think they enjoy feeling independent of their parents. We ate at "The Roof" restaurant tonight. That is the one at the top of the Joseph Smith building. I still think of it as the Hotel Utah, though. I told the kids how I used to come and stay there when we came for conference.
After that, we went to a Korean culture show sponsored by the church. It was pretty neat (albeit quite long). They had a bunch of Korean people performing (singing, TaeKwonDo, dancing, playing drums). I think the family grew weary of it before I did, but it was still fun to be there. There were probably two thousand people there, so it was quite well attended. I kept looking for anyone that I knew. The problem is that I was looking for them the way they were 20 years ago, and they are all old now like me.
We have tickets to tomorrow afternoon's session, and for priesthood, then for Sunday morning's session. We are looking forward to attending.
Talk to you later...Nathan
18 comments:
We wanted to go very badly, we even asked for tickets, but our entire stake only gets 13 tickets. And most were already gone. Sorry! But hopefully you see us at Thanksgiving.
Oh, Nathan. Thank you for the pictures. You all look wonderful. I'm so glad you got to go. And that you all went together. It reminds me of when we used to go, but we never all got to go together. Still, it was one of the great blessings in our lives to attend general conference.
Two things...One, Connie and I were just talking about doing what Mom and Dad did when they took each of us to conference, taking one of us at a time and leaving the rest in St. Johns to fend for ourselves. Those were great memories. The problem is we can't leave our kids in the care of their 12 year old brother for three days like they did because people go to jail for stuff like that now. Two, We were in SLC last month and went to the Joseph Smith movie (a must see) at the Hotel Utah. I showed the kids where Chris Day and I got in trouble by Church Office Building Security on Conference Sunday for flying rubber band propelled airplanes in the plaza between the hotel and the office building. The guy didn't seem to understand that the plaza was the best place for that kind of activity any day due to the long runway spaces that were designed into the plaza I'm sure by revelation for that very purpose...Any way great memories. - Daniel
That is a beautiful picture. You all look heavenly. I wish we could go. I told the kids that we could do things when the twinks are 5. I have good memories of confrence and Salt Lake too. At Carsons blessing we were all talking about the possibility of all of us going to conference , kids or not who ever could come.
good to see you all, you look great!!
They really left us with 12 year olds? I remember braking my arm and all my big brother boy scouts picked me up and wrapped my arm in a magazine until mom and dad got home. Do you guys remember that?
For a while, Mom and Dad would try to get us a baby sitter for when they left. One time it was Christie Rogers. Anyway...after a few times, they just left us home by ourselves. Who needed a car, when you could walk to the grocery store and push a cart home?
I even did Rachel's hair before school pictures. Mom showed me how to curl her hair before she left so at least I had a marketable skill should they not return and I need to provide for our family...Thank goodness they returned. - Daniel
Wow you guys made alot of fun memories. I was just thinking of the memories my family is now making. with the goats and snow and grocery store trips done by kids on bikes.
-Devynne
I remember one time Jer and Thomas and I had to walk to Wilbers for pepto because Thomas was sick. All the way to Wilbers too. I remember getting sick at school and the nurse wanted to call mom to come get me and I said she was out of the country (korea) and so I said that she could call my brother who was a sophomore of something like that. When Daniel got there she was amazed that Dad and Mom would leave us with someone so young. Anyway Daniel took me home and had to stay home with me. He was a great babysitter.
As I read all your memories, I am so embarrassed. We had a 16-17year old girl babysit for a couple of years, but when our boys got to be 14 & 15, it didn't seem like such a good idea. So we trusted them, and they never let us down. Each of the big kids (Nathan, Joel, Daniel, Rebecca) had specific responsibilities and they did them very well. Of course, St. Johns is the only place you would want to try something like that. I'm glad you all survived in tact.
Sounds like an awesome Korean Culture event, Nathan. Wish I could have been there. Hagiman, Orin chanodul isoso, curohan gosul tanisulopsumdia. Hmm. Korean never does look good with the ABCs.
Anyways. Way to go man. Maybe when the kids are older we will actually get to do fun stuff again. Although, sounds like if we just moved to St. John's, we could be living the high life now.
Tyson
I remember one time when I was left alone by myself...at 5 years old. Everyone wanted to go somewhere and didn't want to take me, so the promised me a pack of gum and a snow cone if I'd just stay home and not cry. So I did.
Thomas
So if Thomas was promised a pack of gum and a snow cone if he stayed home and didn't cry, then what was Mary promised... better yet where was Mary?
YOU have the best memeories... I love it! These should defiantly be written down and kept!
Jenn
Tyson,
I really had to struggle to read Korean that way. I had to read it out loud, and listen to what I was saying. It really was a good event. I was getting a little emotional at the end when everyone was singing Arirang. 그대 까지 하나님이 함깨 하시기를 바랍니다. Let me know if that come across as hangul...
Nathan
Thomas
Thats the saddest story I ever heard. I don't think I would have ever let that happen. I was your little mother and never let you be alone. Are you sure that happened?
I'm here. I've been out of town, but am now back and I feel like I've missed a ton. I remember when Christy Rogers babysat us, but I was scared, because she played the crazy lady in a play at the old highschool, and once she called us on april fools day and told us that her hair was on fire. I did like Trina though, because she cleaned our laundry room. One conference, well two that stick out in my mind, is when we met grandmother and uncle John there and grandmother gave me a dollar to take a picture with her, and the other is when Nathan and I went and Bryan Hamblin went with us. I also remember when we had an easter sunday at the hotel Utah. I loved it. Oh and 7-up in a bottle for room service, man we were spoiled. I did love those though. When it was your turn you really felt special and when it wasn't you were excited to be at home with no parents. We didn't do anything bad (besides driving, thanks Daniel for telling on me), but it was fun to feel responsible. We would always have the house clean and a 4 course meal served. THat's when it was fun and not a job. Anyway thanks for the trip down memory lane, Salt Lake just seems like a special place, and I'm sure it's because of our memories there, besides the Mormon stuff.
Love, Rebecca
I always wanted to see the saltlake temple
Nathan-
I need to get a keyboard that types Korean. Hopefully it has spell checker too...
Singing in hangukmal always brings back alot of memories for me too.
Good times.
Tyson
Post a Comment