Monday, July 16, 2007

Parabens, Dad!





Parabéns a você,
Nesta data querida.
Muitas felicidades,
Muitos anos de vida.

Hoje é dia de festa,
Cantam as nossas almas.
Para a menina mom,
Uma salva de palmas.

Happy Birthday, Dad. We sure miss you, but you probably don't comprehend how proud of you we are (maybe you do, after sending five sons on missions). I must talk to someone at least once a week about my parents in Portugal. Thank you for being such a great dad, and grandpa. Thank you for being a great missionary, and teaching us all about service.

Looking back on my life, I can remember you always being there to help influence me for good. You also put up with a lot from us kids, whether it was building forts in the back yard, or digging up holes in the yard. You even spared me my just reward after I set the Larson's barn on fire. You just pointed to the Smokey Bear coloring book that I had, and asked me if I learned my lesson. I am afraid that I still am working on that level of patience with my own children (and they are better than I ever was).

Thanks for everything that you have done for me. As I look at my own life, I can see the direct influence that you have had on it. We love you. Have a great day.

Shauna, Nathan, Joshua, Bethany, and Hannah

22 comments:

Connie and Daniel Biggs Family said...

Happy Birthday a little early in that I don't know that I'll have much chance tomorrow to talk. I am constantly asking myself what my dad would do in a given situation. I have so far to go and am so glad I had a great role model in you. I love you and pray for your greatest success in the service of the Lord. A note about Nathan...I didn't tell him but while we were in Nebraska he, Josh and I went to visit a man in the hospital who had just had surgery and as Nathan talked to him I couldn't help but notice how much Nathan's demeanor and mannorisms were like dads. I actually kept doing double takes just amazed at how his voice and even intonations just sounded like dad's.
Dad, we love you...Happy Birthday!!! - CO Biggs

Erika said...

Dad, I didn't understand a word of what Nathan said, but I assume it was the song "Happy Birthday" - probably in Portugese. Erika & I and the kids were on a duck tour in Boston today and the driver/guide was talking about multi-lingual people. He asked what a person is called that only speaks one language and a little Japanese lady sitting behind us said, "Americans." While we are proud of you and Mom for being bi'lingual Americans now, we are even more proud of you as our parents. You have been a wonderful father and I only hope to be able to emulate one or two of the qualities you have had as a husband and father. We are so grateful for you and the work you have done your whole life as well as the work you are doing now. I always take great pride in telling the kids about their grandparents. We love you and hope you have a great birthday.

Thomas Jennifer Biggs said...

Dad, I have noticed the same common mannerisms in all of your sons. I have found myself using examples of you while teaching in Elders' quorum. You have been a great example. I remember when once mom was out of town and you came home from work to me and Mary fighting. You got mad at us and we were so surprised we went straight to bed. But you came downstairs and apologized to each of us. That has left an indelible impression of humility on my mind. So I have been trying to remember that my kids feelings are that important that I need to apologize for the things I do.
Kirtlyn is very glad to have you guys on a mission. She never fails to pray for you. You have made it into her regular prayers. She also prays for snacks too, but their important aren't they? She is able to pick you guys out of a line up and she names you as grandpa when we see a picture of you. She also says that about the bretheren of the twelve, so your in good company. She must see the same things in you as she does in them, not to mention the white hair. Thanks Dad for all you have done and are doing for me and my family. We love you very much, Happy Birthday.
Thomas, Jennifer, Kirtlyn, Thomas

Mary, Tyson and Family said...

Well I think we all have done something when dad could have really let us have it and instead chose his calm way of handling the situation (witch I think is most affective) My experience was backing into the mailbox, something I will never forget mostly because I was taught that I should never be afraid to tell my dad anything, and it is so true, from that point on I knew you would always love me no matter what. I think I always knew it but that was the ultimate test. I can't believe how lucky our family is to have such a great parents you guys together make the perfect parents. Thank you so much for everything you do for this family! We love you so much Dad and hope you have a great Birthday!
Love the Richins Fam

Rachel, Tony & Family said...

Just recently Esther and I were talking about having to do "Dad Jobs" (No disrespect to our husbands who are very busy,) but she was having to get her oil changed and know the answers to the questions about her car. I agreed and said, "You know that's true, somehow the light bulbs always got changed in our house growing up." And the doors were locked every night, not to mention food on the table and clothes on our backs. Dad thanks for everything you did for us. All those things you did that until now went unoticed like the light bulbs. And I agree with the amazing patience you had what a great example you have been to all of us and continue to be to our kids. I'm so greatful to have you as my dad. Happy Happy Birthday!!
Eat lots of german Chocolate cake, and have a great day!!!!
love you,
Rachel and Family

Esther said...

Fath
Happy Birthday!!!!
Where do I start? You are such a blessing in not only my life but in my little families life. You are a wonderful example. Just yesterday in primary, Harrison said they were talking about writing to missionaries and he was so proud to be able to write to his Grandma and Grandpa on their mission.
I realize everyday Dad, just like Rachel was saying, how much you did and continue to do for your family. You are golden and your wisdom is priceless. Shad even says when we are making a big decision, "Lets call your Dad and see what he thinks we should do."
I love you Dad and I am forever grateful for the blessing you are in my life. Have a wonderful day.
Esther and Fam.

Stephanie and Joel Biggs said...

Happy Birthday dad!
We love and miss you both but are greatful that you took the time out of your life to serve a mission. Thank you for being the perfect father. I don't know what we all did to deserve both you and mom...but I am sure that the lord knew that having you both as parents would give us our best shot....I know that when I am the proudest is when someone says "you are just like your dad".
Thanks for your example, your love and friendship, and for our mom.

Joel, Steph, SLDC

Evans Family said...

Dad,
Happy Birthday!!
One funny thing I remember about you, is the water fight we got into, one time you came home from work. You had your work clothes on, which are not the same work clothes has Scott's. White shirt, tie the whole works. I was so impressed with you. I loved walking around the house, and listening to your landscape dreams. I loved working in the garden with you, and watching M*A*S*H with you. I had to learn to love that show, but I knew it would be worth it, I felt like it was our bonding time. I always tried to be your favorite. You were really good at helping everyone believe that they were your favorite. I loved making bread for you, because you appreciated it so much. I appreciate everything you have done for me. Spirtually, physically and emotionally. You have always been so perfect in my mind. Which is good and bad (poor husbands). I too thought that locking the doors at night was a priesthood responsiblity. Come to find out is was just a service you did, which now I get to do for my family. :-) Thanks for letting me go on so many of your family vacations after I was married. I knew that Scott was the only one for me, but I guess I wasn't quite ready to be all the way grown up, and you allowed me to just be me. I think that must be a talent of yours, to let people be who they are. I love you, I appreciate you, for more than I can express, but I think you know. I feel like I will always be your little girl. I love you, and I hope that today you can feel the love....

Happy birthday,
Love, Rebecca

Rachel, Tony & Family said...

happy birthday Grandpa!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I miss you so much!And in your baby picture you looked just like Kirtlyn!
Rylie

Rachel, Tony & Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rachel, Tony & Family said...

Happy Birthday Tom, on your 66th birthday. I always remember your birthday because It's the same day I was married 75 years ago. Your family means the world to me.
Love you all,
Adina Birdno

Nathan said...

Well, I didn't make german choc cake but I did make choc zucchini cake from our garden (only you would appreciate that, I'm afraid) and strawberry & peach freezer jams. I feel like you are the only one who I can talk to about my gardening efforts & our love of vegetables and bean soups. I remember when you gave us all a talk on finances because it was my first family council ever & I remember thinking, "So this is what it's like." I'm glad you are a strong Priesthood holder and that is something specific I looked for in a husband. I deeply appreciate all the support you gave us when we got married. We were so poor I don't know how we would have made it without it! I know I'm a pain to deal with sometimes, but really it's because I've never had anyone care about me before and to counsel me. I've always just been on my own literally, so what I used to think was meddling was really just caring. :-) "You're simply the best!" (Tina Turner music)
Shauna #1 DIL

Nathan said...

happy birthday grandpa tom. I was wondering, did grandma make you a cake over in Portugal? If she did, right on grandma. Oh, and rylie. You were right about the whole grandpa -kirtlyn thing

T.T.F.N.
hannah

Nathan said...

Happy birthday Grandpa! Just wondering, what typical desserts to they serve in Portugal? I hope you stay safe and hope to see you as soon as you get back!

Love, Josh

Evans Family said...

Happy Birthday Grandpa!
I hope your having a great birthday. I miss you a ton and love you even more. Lots of Love-allison

Thomas Jennifer Biggs said...

after all the Kirtlyn comments, I had Kirtlyn come in here and right away she said "That's me!". I didn't even have to ask her. She really didn't have any hair when she was younger. Happy Birthday again!
Thomas

Erika said...

Not to take up more comment space, but I always thought I was Dad's favorite. I remember when we'd go to the dump and all of the bigs (big bros) would be picking on me, Dad would be the first one to my defense and say to them, "you leave Jeremy alone or you'll be a cruising for a bruising!" That meant so much to me and that totally meant I was the favorite. Also, I remember one time when we were driving home from Mesa in the "Tank" that I leaned up to Dad from the back seat and told him that I felt like some Juice Spaghetti. He acted like that made his day that I would say that. Now it is preferred by all of my kids more than anything else we could offer them - even McDonalds. I was always impressed with Dad and his righteousness. I remember bragging to some of my friends on the bus coming home from the old Coronado School that my dad was the President of the United States. I was so proud. Then the bus driver, Mr. Far, called me up and clarified that he was only the Stake President. Speaking of the "tank" and being impressed by Dad, I remember another trip from Mesa to St. Johns when we were driving through the Rim area that there were some younger people driving some hot rod pickup and in spite of their efforts, Dad wanted to pass them. As soon as a passing lane came up, Dad opened up a can of kick their trash and blew their doors off. After dusting them and after the Suburban was reigned in, he reached up, patted it on the dash board and told it, "good job." I have always thought that was awesome. It's no wonder I felt like we were losing a member of the family when he finally sold the suburban. I know if I ever came accross it again, I would want to buy it back just to have it. Anyway, I know all of us could go on and on about memories and why we all know (not think) that we have the best Dad and Mom, so I hope your Birthday has been good Dad. We love you and have always been proud of you. Love, Jeremy, Erika & kids

Mary, Tyson and Family said...

Shauna I will have you know our family planted a garden and had zucchini coming out of our ears so I made a zucchini cake and it was really good, was it your receipe I got it out of Devynne's cook book. If so give me more! :)
Mary

Thomas Jennifer Biggs said...

(My sister Dawn lives across the street from Grandma and Grandpa Biggs house in Safford. And her kids recognize them and even call them "Grandma and Grandpa Biggs.")
Tonight Dawn happened to be in town, and as I was visiting with her, her oldest daugther Shayci saw a picture that looked like Grandpa and she said, " Look that's Grandpa Biggs, it's his birthday!" I looked at my sister in shock that her daughter knew it was your birthday. Dawn explained that primary had a lesson about missionaries on Sunday,like Harrison, and they talked about "The Biggs" who are serving a mission for their ward...
You never REALLY know how many people you affect! Happy Birthday from all of us!
Jenn Biggs

Mom & Dad said...

I have just been sitting here, reading all your comments about the wonderful man I chose to be your father...I did a great job of choosing, didn't I? Each expression of love and honor brought tears to my eyes because as the person who knows him best of all, I can, without reservation, second everything you said. He is all the things you give him credit for being, and more. I can't honestly say I knew he would be all those wonderful things when I fell in love with him, but behind the gorgeous smile and the big brown eyes, I knew there was a core of righteous, loving man, the kind of man I wanted my sons to be and the kind of man I wanted my daughters to try to find. Each of you has done exactly that. I see Dad in all our boys and in all our sons-in-law as well.
He had kind of an ordinary day, I'm afraid, as a birthday, but I made him a peach upsidedown cake and we took it to the district meeting where, of course, the missionaries polished it off, with whipped cream. Dad did get one piece, but that was all he wanted. As part of the trainamento, Elder Jackson, district leader, taught everyone how to sind "Parabens" in Portuguese. We all sang to Dad (he sang right along because he is trying to learn it too).
Then, our dona brought him a gift, two ceramic bowls and plates, of Caldas ceramic (we are famous for our ceramics) shaped like lettuce leaves.
We went to one of our favorite Chinese restaurants for dinner and watched an episode of "House.' All in all, an uneventful but pleasant birthday. It rained all day, just for him. Otherwise he would have been washing clothes. Everytime the sun shines he wants to hang out laundry.
The best part of his day, though, were the messages he received from you. Thank you for making my sweetheart so happy. I will let him comment on them himself.
Mom

Mom & Dad said...

Well, you all are very kind and thoughtful. Thank you for the good coments and lembrancas. I had a great day and enjoyed spending it with my favorite companion. One of the great experiences of a second mission I guess is that you get to spend 24 hours a day with your wife (and she you). I am grateful for her patience with me and I have it confirmed every day that she is the best thing that ever happened to me. She is the reason all of you have become such a wonderful family. All of you are right in that each of you is my favorite. You will understand that when you get to my age and I can catch a glimpse of Heavenly Father's ability to do the same for us. Thank you for being the absolute best family in the whole world. I love each of you more than you know whether Mom is your Mother or you have another Mother too.

Rachel, Tony & Family said...

Jer, I remember you doing that same thing with people on the road with cool cars that thought they could out run the "Tank" You would rev the engine. Then after tearing the doors of the other car as you say, you would pat the dash and say "good Job." I didn't know you learned that from dad. I also remember that phrase cruisi'n for a bruis'n. One more thing, in 5th grade the kids in my class knew dad worked for the bank, everyone thought I had to be the richest person in town because they assumed we got to take the money from the bank home. I let them think that... But I always felt good that my dad always came home in a suit and tie, and he smelled like money and toothpaste.
Rach

AUGUST ~BAPTISM FOR THE DEAD ANNOUNCED BY JOSEPH SMITH

     One of the most precious doctrines of the Gospel is the doctrine of vicarious work for the dead.  August 15, 1840 is when Joseph Smi...