
I'm sure all the Biggs boys will appreciate this in memory of our many wood cutting trips. Last week, Parker, Porter, Shadrach, Albert and I hiked up the hill behind our home carrying the chain saw to cut some fire wood. There was one huge pinon stump we coudn't conquer so we left it there because we were just too exhausted. Parker was at the temple today so Porter, Shadrach and I hiked back up and sawed that thing to pieces. They are standing over the top of one as they prepare to roll it down the hill to our back yard. In fact, the roof top at the bottom right hand corner is ours. This picture was taken with Porter's cell so it's hard to tell but for those of you who haven't seen ths hill, it is very steep and the ground very loose so it was the hardest wood cutting we've ever done. Anyway, the logs were very heavy as you all remember since they're loaded with pitch. These boys muscled it over the ridge and down to our house. By the way, we have enough wood for the year so this trip was a pride thing. - Daniel
7 comments:
Holy Muscles! I'm obveously not a Biggs boy because I really thought the wood was just there. And my only memory with a fire in the house was in Safford when it was cool outside and we would open the doors and turn on the ac so we could build a fire. So as you could imagine the wood that magically appeared one year lasted my whole teenage life. How much wood do you go through in one winter?
We go through probably 4 truck loads per winter. Seems like we went through a lot more in St. Johns. Whenever we drive out of town to get wood I tell my kids how Dad would take us to Circle K to get a little sleeve of doughnuts and a chocolate milk before we started the day. I have the kids drive my truck a little too and even though Connie get's nervous, I tell her it's what my dad used to let us do. - Daniel
Daniel, I see why you love C.O. sooo much it is beautiful and in church we said we had family in Glenwood springs and they said "Ahhh, that is beautiful out there." Tony and I love it there I am trying to talk him into moving.? I have memories of Chocolate milk and cutting wood I remember it being a neat thing to get chocolate milk in a little carton. And the smell of the wood and the chain saw I remember hanging my feet off the back of the truck and watching you boys cut the wood. I remember Dad telling you all to hang on to me. I didn't go often but the once or twice was very memorable.
Is it warm enough there that the boys didn't even need coats? We are having an unusually warm fall, too. Dad is really enjoying it. I think he has fond memories of cutting wood with his boys and John Collings and Carl Ollerton, sometimes, too. But I don't think they are fond enough that he wants to do it again. He is glad to see you carrying it on, though. Enjoy those wood fires. That's what I remember...how much I loved the wood fires in the cold winter. I never wanted to move very far away from the fireplace in the winter.
We love getting wood and having wood fires. Sometimes the city has no burn days during the winter but since we actually live in the county, not the city, we don't have those restrictions so as soon as we get the snow that stays, we burn almost every day. It's in the 40s and 50s here but when you're working like these boys are, a coat get's to hot. We've had snow but usually our first big snow that stays until March happens in a few weeks. We're hoping it comes when Nathan and Shauna come for Thanksgiving. By the way Tony, on Saturday while moving wood from the backyard down to our house with the Rhino, I hit a fence poll and broke the plow off. So all that work you and I did, we have to do again. Also, the football team ended the season undefeated and we start state play next week. Hope to see you guys up soon for at least a visit. Joel and Stephanie came in January last year and while it was cold, it was a great time to ski. That goes for anyone else. Come up for a ski trip. If I can ski, I promise all of you can and once you do, you'll be addicted. - Daniel
For us boys it is so so so so warm/hot especailly when your moving. Sometimes when I ski I just wear my lightest jacket and it feels either cool, just right or a little warm, almost just right. TShe girls on the other hand are always cold starting at the degrees of 55.
-Porter :-l>
You guys are stud muffins. Nothing like a chain saw to get your testosterone pumpin'!
Post a Comment