Monday, November 01, 2010

October Opportunities

It's a good thing that October was so worth all the time and stress and suffering that putting it on the blog has cost me! Nothing worked right. if it hadn't been for my sweet, patient husband being willing to figure out how to get these first pictures on, I would have just dumped the whole thing! But it's a good thing I didn't because October, as I said before, was worth it. We had birthdays of some of our most special family members in October. Shannyn on the 9th, Mary on the 11th, Rylie on the 15th (turning into a teenager!) and Joel on the 19th.


















Docker and Albert got their Arrow of Light Awards




















The Jeremy Biggs family floated down the river.



















The Evans family went to the Pumpkin Patch










Isabel & Luke, along, I think, with Polly, DeWitt and Dallin played soccer this month.















The first day of October promised a wonderful month for most of us, but for Dallin it was filled with pain and swelling. He had all four of his wisdom teeth extracted, one requiring major oral surgery. Poor boy. He hardly even felt like drinking the milkshake we brought him.

We've been able to have Stetson to dinner a few times this month, once, with the Missionaries before the Priesthood session of Conference. Actually, he came all dressed and ready to go with Dad to Priesthood meeting. This picture is from another time.
We really enjoyed General Conference. We look forward to it for six months and then when it finally comes, we really need it all over again. We were especially gratified to hear of the Temple planned for Lisbon, Portugal.

Dad decided that while the Temple was closed for maintenance, he wanted to go fishing in Colorado. So we just packed up and went.
The scenery between Arizona and Colorado, while very boring with sameness most of the way, was spectacular in places, especially with help from the skies.

















While Dad and Daniel went fishing, Connie, Shannyn, Emma and I went to lunch for Shannyn's birthday.






Shadrach drove me, in their rhino, up on the side of their mountain, where their pigs are kept. They are full grown now and getting ready to be "processed." They have even built a smokehouse for the occasion.




















we went to Parker's football game. He is the manager of the team. You can see him looking at me through the fence.












We got there in time to help Shannyn celebrate her 9th birthday.

Her golden, pink diamond birthday cake


















Connie measured the pigs to see how much they weighed. They were getting anxious to "process" them because they were becoming too expensive to keep. As of now, they are officially meat: hams, bacon, pork roasts, baby back ribs, etc.






















We passed some exquisite scenery between Colorado and Nebraska. See the snow-covered mountains ahead? Then there we were, right at the top of the Rockies.






















We drove from Daniel's to Nathan's in about 11 hours and it was quite pleasant, of course, with a comfortable car, freeways and a good book (or two) to read on the way. I drove for a couple of hours and got us lost once, when there was a detour, but Dad got us back on the right road and we arrived safely.
We were lucky that we were able to be there for Bethany and Hannah's choir concert. Hannah sang in the general (I don't know what else to call it) choir, and Bethany was in the top choir called "project 424." There were only a few kids in that choir and she sang a solo. It was the major solo of the whole concert and she was amazing! What a voice! What stage presence! I tried to upload a video, but I guess it was too long. The blog wouldn't take it. Sorry.

I realized when I was looking for a picture of Hannah's choir, that I had only taken videos, but this picture shows her better, anyway. By the way, she tried out for the school's show choir and was just sure she didn't make it because she says she inherited her dad's dance ability, but I figured they couldn't help but choose such a pretty girl who also had a terrific voice. And I was right, she made it! As a freshman!

Dad wanted to mow Nathan's huge front lawn, and if you look carefully, you can see Nathan, in the bushes. He is pulling weeds. Shauna and the girls were in school during the days, and Nathan had taken off work, so we had time to spend with him. It was so nice to visit with him, and he and Dad did computer-type stuff together, and we also went out to lunch a couple of times.

We went to Nathan's office. It is very classy and beautifully decorated...if that's important. Anyway, it was good to see where he works. He is part owner and CEO of this computer resource company.





























We came home, missing Mary's birthday and the fair. I have to mention the fair here. Lillian and Polly won 28 and 33 ribbons, respectively, (all blue ribbons, I think) and corresponding prize money, for their baked goods, crafts and other entries. Isabel sang in the talent show and won 2nd place. We are so proud of all these granddaughters. If you want to hear and see Isabel singing, go to youtube.com and type in "Isabel the Black Hills"


Jennifer and her children came to the USA to renew their visas, and were able to spend a few weeks with us during October. When they arrived, the kids were so tired, but they perked right up and had lots of fun with Grandpa and Grandma and cousins.































































Jenn wanted to make lunch for the girls to thank them for all their help and friendship. She made Mexican food...from her Mother's American recipes...absolutely delicious. We enjoyed the lunch and each others' company.











Of course, while we had extra people here, the 15-year-old fridge quit on us and we HAD to get a new one right away!





Esther had surgery on Joel's birthday, October 19. Shad's mom came to help for a couple of days, so we went down the next day. We stopped by the office to take Joel his birthday card, and then went to the hospital to see Esther. She didn't want her picture taken, so we took Shad's. He is holding the bear that her doctor's office brought Esther to hold against her stomach when she had to cough. We stayed in Mesa for three days and had a good time playing with her kids and helping them with their homework. She is coming along very well, except for not being able to eat much, and doing fine.































While we were there, I had the opportunity to attend the wedding of Aryn and Sean in the Mesa Temple. Our old friend and neighbor, Brad Perkinson sealed them. Dad stayed to help Esther and her kids while I went to the wedding.








Dad went with Shad to see Bridger's football game on Saturday morning before we went home.






















Dad also got to see Tayte's game.













This October was the time of the Primary Program. We were only able to see two of them, and had to split up to do that because those two were on exactly the same day at the same time. Dad went to Mary's. She is the Primary singing lady and Brianna, Carson, Kirtlyn and Thomas all participated in her program. According to him, they all did very well. I went to Rachel's program. She is the president of their Primary and had to make a few remarks herself before the program began. Isabel, Luke, Brynlie, and Camille all had parts in that program. They did very well too. I have to say, though, that Isabel was the star of the show. She sang a solo/duet and sang it beautifully. I wish we could have gone to all the programs. We missed Polly's because we were in Mexico, and I haven't heard about the others, but if we have already missed them, I'm very sorry. If we haven't, let us know when they are and if it is at all possible, we will come.

I went to DeWitt''s, Lillian's and Rylie's concert on the Tuesday before Halloween. What a treat that was! Their choirs were outstanding, and not just for a small school, either. As a member of Taste of Sound, DeWitt got to dance and sing and I have to say he is very cool.






Dad got busy planting his winter garden and included the kids who were around. He also planted some flowers in the front, just for beauty's sake. Our weather has been so gorgeous that I'm sure everything will grow well.




























We had the missionaries and Stetson to dinner on the 28th. He finally, after we had invited Shelby through him several times, brought her along. She was delightful company.



















October, of course, is the Halloween month and because the 31st fell on Sunday, we actually celebrated it on Saturday. Then, the kids had their Halloween parade on Friday. I think some of the Gilbert/Mesa kids did Halloween parades too. We would love to see pictures. Anyway that made Halloween a 3-day event. It made for a little confusion, not knowing when or if neighborhood kids would come by to trick-or-treat, but we got through it all right and have tons of candy left that we didn't give out.
Kirtlyn, Thomas and Hyrum helped me carve a Jack-o-lantern




















Lillian and DeWitt came by on their way to Halloween parties on Saturday night, to show us their costumes.














Kirtlyn, Thomas, Hyrum, and even Maya (whose picture in her pumpkin suit is farther down) all dressed and ready to go trunk-or-treating.




We were excited to see the Alder family at 5th Ward's carnival/trunk-or-treat party.




Bishop McHugh enjoying the fun of Halloween

After the parties, Mary's and Rebecca's kids came by so we could see their costumes.







Finally, on the last day of the month, Halloween, Jenn and Kirtlyn, Thomas, Hyrum and Maya buckled themselves in the back seat of our car and Dad drove them to Globe to meet Jenn's mother. It was a very nice visit and we are so glad that it won't be such a long time before they come back.

8 comments:

Esther said...

Wow, what a fun filled month. Sounds like colorado and nebraska were fun. we hope to make it out there sometime soon. great post mom. your the best for doing it.

Mom & Dad said...

As usual Mom did a great job again through the day-long pain and suffering. She made the comment that she "didn't know if it was worth it" Only a few seem to comment and it's hard to tell who looks at it. Think of it as "Parley's (Susan's) autobiography" only with pictures. Thanks to your great mother for making it happen.

Connie and Daniel Biggs Family said...

I haven't done well commenting on the blog but we do look forward to these to see what everyone is up to. We know Colorado is far away and we do miss being close enough to be as involved as everyone else is but it was great to have Mom and Dad here. Just wish, as always, that we had more time for you to stay. Thanks for making the trip. - Daniel

Mary, Tyson and Family said...

Love the monthly posts mom! Tyson and I make it a game to figure out what the title will be! I Love getting a chance to see all the fam and the events going on! :) Your work does NOT go unapreciated!!!

Thomas Jennifer Biggs said...

Lots of great times, thanks for posting it!
Look forward to more great times in December!

Rachel, Tony & Family said...

I love to see the pictures of everyone! thanks for the update mom.

Rylie said...

Thanks for the update! although I have to say that the white fridge was no where near 15 years old. It was like 6 years at the most:) Its okay though grandma, your new one looks pretty hot:)

Stephanie and Joel Biggs said...

we read every month! Thanks for updating! Thanks for taking care of Stetson, he loves the attention (and food)!

AUGUST ~BAPTISM FOR THE DEAD ANNOUNCED BY JOSEPH SMITH

     One of the most precious doctrines of the Gospel is the doctrine of vicarious work for the dead.  August 15, 1840 is when Joseph Smi...